PDA

View Full Version : LG Dare

Cormac
11-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Anyone have one? I will be getting a new cell phone in the semi-near future and I'm looking at the Dare (Verizon's touchscreen). I would LOVE to get an iPhone or a G1, but I'm pretty much limited to the Verizon network only. So, anyone have any personal experience with the Dare and care to recommend/not recommend it? Thanks in advance.

Dukiedevil
11-10-2008, 12:51 PM
I have it and like it a lot. It's not quite as slick as the iPhone, but it is also smaller so it fits in my pocket. My wife has a Blackberry Curve and likes my phone much better. If you get this phone, definitely buy the screen protecter. Worth the $10 for 3.

Things that I like:

The camera is decent as long as the subject isn't moving. The GPS is very good with spoken turn by turn directions. It works well as a phone as well. Internet pages load pretty quickly. Removable media file storage. I really like being able to connect the phone to my PC and load pictures, songs, wallpaper and ringtones to the phone. As a bonus, it also charges the phone while linked to your PC.

Things I'm not crazy about:

I have large fingers, so the touchscreen and I don't always agree about what it is I intended to hit. This sometimes makes texting with the QWERTY keyboard (holding the phone sideways) more difficult then when using the word software when texting. The text is very small when surfing web pages and makes it difficult to read. Also I don't think it can read Java...

Things I'm indifferent about:

The music player is fine, but I'm assuming most people who would have this phone also have an iPod. I don't use it that often. I don't download much from the Verizon network, so I wouldn't be much help there.

Let me know if you have any more specific questions.

Cormac
11-11-2008, 02:46 PM
I have it and like it a lot. It's not quite as slick as the iPhone, but it is also smaller so it fits in my pocket. My wife has a Blackberry Curve and likes my phone much better. If you get this phone, definitely buy the screen protecter. Worth the $10 for 3.

Things that I like:

The camera is decent as long as the subject isn't moving. The GPS is very good with spoken turn by turn directions. It works well as a phone as well. Internet pages load pretty quickly. Removable media file storage. I really like being able to connect the phone to my PC and load pictures, songs, wallpaper and ringtones to the phone. As a bonus, it also charges the phone while linked to your PC.

Things I'm not crazy about:

I have large fingers, so the touchscreen and I don't always agree about what it is I intended to hit. This sometimes makes texting with the QWERTY keyboard (holding the phone sideways) more difficult then when using the word software when texting. The text is very small when surfing web pages and makes it difficult to read. Also I don't think it can read Java...

Things I'm indifferent about:

The music player is fine, but I'm assuming most people who would have this phone also have an iPod. I don't use it that often. I don't download much from the Verizon network, so I wouldn't be much help there.

Let me know if you have any more specific questions.

A few more:

Whats the battery life like? I probably won't be downloading much music to it either, so I'm not too concerned about that. Can you play videos on it? I am kind of curious to try that out if its possible. Not a lot of features on my Motorola razr. Does the touchscreen respond fairly well/easy to navigate to whatever application I'm looking for? As in, is the screen sensitive enough, but not to the point that its annoying overly sensitive? Does that make sense? I've never actually used one, so this would be my first experience with one. I know you said you have some issues with the small QWERTY keyboard, but i'm hoping i can manage it, because I think it looks like a really cool feature for texting/emailing. I think you can email from a Dare? Does the browser work ok besides the text being small?

Thanks for the help!!!

HaveFunExpectToWin
11-12-2008, 10:11 AM
If you want a Verizon Blackberry, I'd recommend waiting a few more weeks and snag a Blackberry Storm (http://www.engadget.com/tag/storm/).

The new Storm is going to be the same price. I would definitely pick up a Storm instead.

Cormac
11-12-2008, 10:53 AM
If you want a Verizon Blackberry, I'd recommend waiting a few more weeks and snag a Blackberry Storm (http://www.engadget.com/tag/storm/).

The new Storm is going to be the same price. I would definitely pick up a Storm instead.

Same price as the Dare? I will be getting something probably in the spring, so I have time to wait. Is a blackberry worth all the extra charges that come with the plans? Just curious. I haven't really looked into them too much yet.

Dukiedevil
11-12-2008, 12:08 PM
A few more:

Whats the battery life like? I probably won't be downloading much music to it either, so I'm not too concerned about that. Can you play videos on it? I am kind of curious to try that out if its possible. Not a lot of features on my Motorola razr. Does the touchscreen respond fairly well/easy to navigate to whatever application I'm looking for? As in, is the screen sensitive enough, but not to the point that its annoying overly sensitive? Does that make sense? I've never actually used one, so this would be my first experience with one. I know you said you have some issues with the small QWERTY keyboard, but i'm hoping i can manage it, because I think it looks like a really cool feature for texting/emailing. I think you can email from a Dare? Does the browser work ok besides the text being small?

Thanks for the help!!!

I also had a Razr before the Dare and I used to charge the Razr every night. I charge the Dare every other night and it typically still has a bar or two left. Part of the problem is I work in a place with very little signal so the battery pulls a lot of juice looking for one.

The video quality is just ok. It can record 30 second video clips. You can also pull up the mobile version of You-Tube which can be entertaining.

The browser is pretty quick and works fine. It loads pages quickly, but you do have to scroll back and forth on the screen to read the page sometimes. Only some pages do this and I can't figure out what the difference is. Probably depends on whether they are configured for mobile or not.

Here's a pretty good summary of the pluses and minuses. They mention not liking the handwriting thing, but I can honestly say I've never used it and had almost forgotten it was available. Can't think of an instance where that would be preferrable to a keypad. I think the poo-poo the browser too much, personally, but if you are coming from a Razr, it's a significant upgrade.

http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phones/lg-dare-verizon-wireless/4505-6454_7-33070218.html?tag=centerColumnArea2.0

I've not played with the Storm, so I have no input there. I would stop by a Verizon store and play with the Dare. Check out anything that you think may bother you about it.

billybreen
11-27-2008, 01:47 AM

David Pogue just panned the Storm (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/27/technology/personaltech/27pogue.html?pagewanted=1&_r=2&ref=technology). It's been a while since I've read such a scathing review. Sounds like a serious misfire.

sue71, esq
11-27-2008, 02:03 AM
David Pogue just panned the Storm (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/27/technology/personaltech/27pogue.html?pagewanted=1&_r=2&ref=technology). It's been a while since I've read such a scathing review. Sounds like a serious misfire.

Wow. He definitely didn't like it.

Someone at work has one. I got to play with it today. I didn't like it either. I had a lot of trouble "typing" on it, even when it was in landscape/qwerty mode. I have nails and man, they get in the way. No, I'm not cutting them.

I have yet to play with an iPhone, but I'm going to grab one from someone else in the office in the coming days. I have a strong hunch that touch screens may just not be for me, and that a keyboard may be the way to go.

I also want to go to a store and try the BB Bold. We'll see how I feel once I get my hands on the various phones.

billybreen
11-27-2008, 02:18 AM
Wow. He definitely didn't like it.

Someone at work has one. I got to play with it today. I didn't like it either. I had a lot of trouble "typing" on it, even when it was in landscape/qwerty mode. I have nails and man, they get in the way. No, I'm not cutting them.

I have yet to play with an iPhone, but I'm going to grab one from someone else in the office in the coming days. I have a strong hunch that touch screens may just not be for me, and that a keyboard may be the way to go.

I also want to go to a store and try the BB Bold. We'll see how I feel once I get my hands on the various phones.

I type on my iPhone with the bottom of my fingers, not the tips, so nails should never come into play. Just trust the software, and it does all the work of correcting the inevitable errors on the fly.

-jk
11-27-2008, 11:42 AM

Can't say much about the Storm, but I can say David Pogue is an Apple guy.

-jk

Clipsfan
11-27-2008, 12:03 PM
I type on my iPhone with the bottom of my fingers, not the tips, so nails should never come into play. Just trust the software, and it does all the work of correcting the inevitable errors on the fly.

I also have an iPhone, and while the software does catch many errors, it is not infallible. Additionally, it's tough when you want to put non-standard words into the text and you're typing quickly as you've got to adjust and make sure that the word turns out correctly. Also, for some reason, I hit V instead of the space bar a lot, but that just might be me.

My real problem with the iPhone is that it's a miserable phone and that I can't get it to work with the bluetooth in my car. I've had people play back messages I left while driving and they're completely incomprehensible due to static and cutting out etc. Anyone know how to deal with that? I've been into the Apple stores and they've just told me "Yep, we know about that, sorry"

sue71, esq
11-27-2008, 12:08 PM
My real problem with the iPhone is that it's a miserable phone and that I can't get it to work with the bluetooth in my car. I've had people play back messages I left while driving and they're completely incomprehensible due to static and cutting out etc. Anyone know how to deal with that? I've been into the Apple stores and they've just told me "Yep, we know about that, sorry"

Oooooh that's a huge problem. First and foremost, I need it to be a phone. Everything else is secondary.

Clipsfan
11-27-2008, 12:13 PM
Oooooh that's a huge problem. First and foremost, I need it to be a phone. Everything else is secondary.

I find the iPhone great for everything not phone related, but it's NOT a good phone. My wife hates it when I call her using it, and I've had it drop work calls too often. Part of it may be Cingular/AT&T, but part of it is the phone.

billybreen
11-27-2008, 12:32 PM
I find the iPhone great for everything not phone related, but it's NOT a good phone. My wife hates it when I call her using it, and I've had it drop work calls too often. Part of it may be Cingular/AT&T, but part of it is the phone.

That's a shame. I've never had problems with the phone features, and the Bluetooth has worked great with every headset I've tried (though I've never tried it with a car). My service and call quality are consistently better than they were with Verizon, but I'm sure that differs by region.

billybreen
11-27-2008, 12:35 PM
Can't say much about the Storm, but I can say David Pogue is an Apple guy.

-jk

Why? Because he tends to give Apple products positive reviews?

He's long been a Blackberry user, and in his reviews of the iPhone said he prefers the Blackberry for mail functions. He's no Blackberry hater, so this review shouldn't be ignored.

gus
11-27-2008, 09:46 PM

Have you updated the OS? Dropped calls were a problem with earlier versions, but for me, I haven't had a single dropped call since I upgraded back in August (or whenever the first upgrade to OS2 came out).

My iPhone works perfectly fine as a phone. Works better than my verizon motorola and my AT&T Nokia did, but I am in an area with a very good 3g network. I've never turned on the bluetooth on the phone.

Clipsfan
11-28-2008, 01:31 AM
Have you updated the OS? Dropped calls were a problem with earlier versions, but for me, I haven't had a single dropped call since I upgraded back in August (or whenever the first upgrade to OS2 came out).

My iPhone works perfectly fine as a phone. Works better than my verizon motorola and my AT&T Nokia did, but I am in an area with a very good 3g network. I've never turned on the bluetooth on the phone.

I updated as soon as each new version was released. I haven't had as many problems with dropped calls since last Friday (when the most recent update came out), although now I have weird static problems I didn't have before.

HaveFunExpectToWin
11-28-2008, 09:21 AM

This is similar to Engadget's hands-on review. I haven't played with it yet, but it doesn't sound good.

billybreen
11-30-2008, 04:34 PM
Another cautionary tale for Blackberry fans (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AqBGfHcmOM5rGOcbtNjAvUm5QAx.;_ylv=3?qid =20081126192658AAWwt1m).

sue71, esq
12-03-2008, 05:30 PM
UPDATE: Got to play with the Storm a little more today, as my co-worker was in. Liked it a little more. Maybe it takes getting used to? I dunno.