PDA

View Full Version : ACC Roundup

gw67
11-09-2008, 09:35 AM
Besides reading the articles on current and past Devils, one of the DBR features that I really enjoy during college basketball season is ACC Roundup. Julio and Boswell do a great job of posting links to articles on teams and players throughout the league that I would not read otherwise. For someone who is not only a Duke fan but a long-time ACC fan as well, this feature is welcomed and is value added, IMO. Thanks fellas!

I’ll add a couple of thoughts to the link on the Maryland game yesterday. The five perimeter players (Milbourne, Hayes, Tucker, Bowie and Kim) scored 88 of the 104 points. Based on two scrimmages and one exhibition, it appears that Milbourne is ready for a breakout year, Hayes is recovered from last season’s ankle injury, Tucker and Bowie have made significant improvements from their frosh years and Mosely and Kim will be ACC quality players as freshmen. Unfortunately, all of these players plus Vasquez are perimeter players. Whether Maryland wins 15-16 games this year or 18-20 games will depend on how well their big men play and the ability of Williams to make the best use of his perimeter players. As a result of the talent disparity between his big men and the perimeter players, I expect Williams to play with a small line-up for much of the season. This will put them at a significant disadvantage on the boards and defensively against good inside play. I expect the Terps to be one of the more entertaining teams to watch this winter and they may be one year away from being a very good team with two big men recruits coming in next year.

gw67

Bob Green
11-09-2008, 02:58 PM
I agree. A regular dose of ACC Roundup is a great way to keep current on upcoming ACC opponents. Sometimes it is easy to get caught up in all things Duke and lose awareness on the status of other teams. While Carolina news is splashed all over the national media on a daily basis, updates on Miami, Clemson, FSU, etc...are not daily stories on Sportscenter. DBR does a great job making the information available via the links to articles.

Thanks DBR!

just_wondering
11-10-2008, 09:51 AM
GW67,

Dino Gregory was nailed to the bench last year and there was a lot of speculation that he would transfer. He started on Saturday. He didn't shoot well on Saturday but if he does he could be a difference. He is taller and more active than last year.

Braxton Dupree was the other front line starter on Saturday. Northwood was big (they started 2 seven footers) and Braxton had trouble finishing. But he is running the court better.

Dave Neal - a lot stronger than last year but I think Kim will take his minutes. Kim moves well without the ball.

Jerome Burney will be the defensive presence for the Terps.

Steve Goins - more of a project than anticipated. Didn't enter the game until mop up time but I believe that his 4 points were more than the other front line players except Dupree.

Besides reading the articles on current and past Devils, one of the DBR features that I really enjoy during college basketball season is ACC Roundup. Julio and Boswell do a great job of posting links to articles on teams and players throughout the league that I would not read otherwise. For someone who is not only a Duke fan but a long-time ACC fan as well, this feature is welcomed and is value added, IMO. Thanks fellas!

I’ll add a couple of thoughts to the link on the Maryland game yesterday. The five perimeter players (Milbourne, Hayes, Tucker, Bowie and Kim) scored 88 of the 104 points. Based on two scrimmages and one exhibition, it appears that Milbourne is ready for a breakout year, Hayes is recovered from last season’s ankle injury, Tucker and Bowie have made significant improvements from their frosh years and Mosely and Kim will be ACC quality players as freshmen. Unfortunately, all of these players plus Vasquez are perimeter players. Whether Maryland wins 15-16 games this year or 18-20 games will depend on how well their big men play and the ability of Williams to make the best use of his perimeter players. As a result of the talent disparity between his big men and the perimeter players, I expect Williams to play with a small line-up for much of the season. This will put them at a significant disadvantage on the boards and defensively against good inside play. I expect the Terps to be one of the more entertaining teams to watch this winter and they may be one year away from being a very good team with two big men recruits coming in next year.

gw67

gw67
11-10-2008, 10:56 AM
j_w,

If two or three of those big guys play decently on the boards and defensive end, then the Terps should have a middle of the road team. I don't visit the Maryland site very often because of the negativity but I went there yesterday and those that went to the exhibition game were gushing about Kim. Apparently, he is an accomplished offensive player.

gw67

just_wondering
11-10-2008, 11:16 AM
Kim is good but the fans are a little hyped up about him. He was very effective moving without the ball.
Milbourne was effective driving to the basket.
A lot remains to be seen when the quality of the opposition improves as to how effective Kim and Milbourne continue to be with those facets of their games.

But it was Cliff Tucker who was selected as Player of the Game.
And Sean Mosley is very good.

I don't see any of Maryland's front line being able to find a spot on the floor where they can consistently score at this point in their career. But if they work the flex I can see them being effective.

j_w,

If two or three of those big guys play decently on the boards and defensive end, then the Terps should have a middle of the road team. I don't visit the Maryland site very often because of the negativity but I went there yesterday and those that went to the exhibition game were gushing about Kim. Apparently, he is an accomplished offensive player.

gw67