PDA

View Full Version : Next point guard recruit?

houstondukie
03-29-2007, 07:12 PM
Are we recruiting any true point guards in the class of 2008 or is Coach K going to wait til 2009, after Paulus has graduated?

Obviously I'd prefer to get one from the 2008 class, so that he could learn the ropes for a year before running the show in his sophomore year, but I also understand that great point guards only go to schools where a starting spot is available immediately.

kramerbr
03-29-2007, 07:42 PM
I had previously heard Larry Drew '08, but we aren't even on his list according to Rivals.com

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?SID=910&Year=2008&ra_key=1617

kramerbr
03-29-2007, 07:54 PM
...we do appear to have some interest in the class of '09 top pg prospect Leslie McDonald. (courtesy scout.com)

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=4&cfg=bb&pid=40&yr=2009

vango
03-29-2007, 09:39 PM
From what I've read - and have heard from someone I know who follows this topic closely - we showed interest in Drew but did so very late. It was mentioned (not sure if it was directly by him or someone in his "camp" - hate that word....) that we had a lot of ground to make up. He appears to me to be UNC-bound to take over for their current PG (unless he keeps skipping class ;) ) when that time comes. I've read he has taken two visits to UNC since the 06 holidays.

As stated, our next "true" PG recruit is McDonald for the 09 class. Tall point at 6'4" and chances he could grow before he graduates. Only a few suitors for him now and not the upper crust of b-ball either (but respectable including Memphis and TN).

All this concerned me enough to post about it a few weeks ago just to see what those who really seem to know about recruiting had to say. My $.02 worth? I have all suspicions that Smith is our backup point (but could start at SG next to Paulus for us in a Duhon/Williams type of thing) and may find himself in that role (PG that is) his junior year. Just spitballing here - it just seems logical based on the information we have before us right now.

Troublemaker
03-29-2007, 09:45 PM
I have all suspicions that Smith is our backup point (but could start at SG next to Paulus for us in a Duhon/Williams type of thing) and may find himself in that role (PG that is) his junior year. Just spitballing here - it just seems logical based on the information we have before us right now.

Absolutely. Based on current roster makeup and Duke's relative lack of involvement with '08 PG recruits, the only conclusion to draw is that Nolan is expected to be the starting PG in 2010 and 2011. Nolan Smith IS Duke's next point guard recruit. And we'll have to get involved with PGs from the high school class of '09 or '10 to find one that takes over for HIM.

jimsumner
03-29-2007, 11:52 PM
"Based on current roster makeup and Duke's relative lack of involvement with '08 PG recruits, the only conclusion to draw is that Nolan is expected to be the starting PG in 2010 and 2011."

Not necessarily. K has shown no reluctance to hand over the reigns to a freshman, e.g. Amaker, Hurley, Capel, Williams, Paulus.

DukeBlood
03-30-2007, 03:34 AM
As troublemaker said, Nolan Smith is the backup PG for next year, and most likely the future PG(after Paulus leaves). He handled it fine in the McD AA game, Granted nobody was playing much defense..

I found a article a while back(last year i think), Anyway. It was talking about how Nolan Smith was a PG converted to a SG because he went to a team that had Tywon Lawson. Obviously this year they had Brandon Jennings. Now whether or not this time off of the PG position has hurt his PG skills, Not sure.. But I think he will be fine.

mcdukie
03-30-2007, 10:10 AM
I think K is going to treat Nolan like Duhon, play him at some 2 early and backup Paulus and eventually become a point guard. I sure hope this is the case since we aren't really recruiting any other point guards in the near future.

Classof06
03-30-2007, 12:52 PM
I also think Nolan is the next PG recruit. I've said this before, but I just don't think you can rule out Nolan Smith eventually starting by the end of next season. Right off the bat, he's going to reduce somebody's minutes. When interviewed before the McD's AA game earlier this week, he said one of the reasons he went to Duke and not Louisville was because he knew Duke was a place he could get substantial minutes right away. Even if just for defense and nothing else, this kid has to see the floor next year and a lot of it. Just from a physical and athletic standpoint, I think it's clear he can do things that Paulus, Nelson and Scheyer cannot.

A lot of people are saying Paulus' job is untouchable, but I disagree. At the end of the day, Coach K is going to start the 5 kids that give us the best chance to win, period. Especially after the year we just had, you're crazy if you think he'll start Paulus knowing Smith can do a better job (if that happens to be the case). If Nate James can get benched for Duhon (for the sake of winning) and Duhon can get benched for sub par play, as he did his junior year (the home UNC game in fact), then Greg Paulus can lose his starting job.

However it turns out, I think anyone who has been on a basketball team knows how healthy internal competition can be. Any coach's dream is to have a team where he can go 5 on 5 in practice and watch an all out war; it's called depth. Smith being there means Paulus needs to step it up, and that's great for both players and the team as a whole.

Saratoga2
03-30-2007, 02:11 PM
I also think Nolan is the next PG recruit. I've said this before, but I just don't think you can rule out Nolan Smith eventually starting by the end of next season. Right off the bat, he's going to reduce somebody's minutes. When interviewed before the McD's AA game earlier this week, he said one of the reasons he went to Duke and not Louisville was because he knew Duke was a place he could get substantial minutes right away. Even if just for defense and nothing else, this kid has to see the floor next year and a lot of it. Just from a physical and athletic standpoint, I think it's clear he can do things that Paulus, Nelson and Scheyer cannot.

A lot of people are saying Paulus' job is untouchable, but I disagree. At the end of the day, Coach K is going to start the 5 kids that give us the best chance to win, period. Especially after the year we just had, you're crazy if you think he'll start Paulus knowing Smith can do a better job (if that happens to be the case). If Nate James can get benched for Duhon (for the sake of winning) and Duhon can get benched for sub par play, as he did his junior year (the home UNC game in fact), then Greg Paulus can lose his starting job.

However it turns out, I think anyone who has been on a basketball team knows how healthy internal competition can be. Any coach's dream is to have a team where he can go 5 on 5 in practice and watch an all out war; it's called depth. Smith being there means Paulus needs to step it up, and that's great for both players and the team as a whole.

I think Nolan Smith will get some of Nelson's minutes and some of Paulus minutes, while Scheyer and Henderson will play most of the time at the 3. Scheyer can also fill in at point if needed, as he did this year.

Saratoga2
03-30-2007, 02:23 PM
From what I've read - and have heard from someone I know who follows this topic closely - we showed interest in Drew but did so very late. It was mentioned (not sure if it was directly by him or someone in his "camp" - hate that word....) that we had a lot of ground to make up. He appears to me to be UNC-bound to take over for their current PG (unless he keeps skipping class ;) ) when that time comes. I've read he has taken two visits to UNC since the 06 holidays.

As stated, our next "true" PG recruit is McDonald for the 09 class. Tall point at 6'4" and chances he could grow before he graduates. Only a few suitors for him now and not the upper crust of b-ball either (but respectable including Memphis and TN).

All this concerned me enough to post about it a few weeks ago just to see what those who really seem to know about recruiting had to say. My $.02 worth? I have all suspicions that Smith is our backup point (but could start at SG next to Paulus for us in a Duhon/Williams type of thing) and may find himself in that role (PG that is) his junior year. Just spitballing here - it just seems logical based on the information we have before us right now.

According to Scout.com we are still recruiting him for 2008. He is a 6'3" SG. High school hoops, the magazine says he is 6'5" and said he could one day be a big point guard.

Kewlswim
03-30-2007, 07:54 PM
Hi,

It seems to me that if one has more than one good/great point guard on their roster it is a benefit, not something to avoid. Can one really have too many good/great point guards?

GO DUKE!

Troublemaker
03-30-2007, 08:23 PM
Hi,

It seems to me that if one has more than one good/great point guard on their roster it is a benefit, not something to avoid. Can one really have too many good/great point guards?

GO DUKE!

The question is: can you get a good/great PG to come if there are already good/great PGs on the roster with plenty of eligibility left?