PDA

View Full Version : WBB vs Anderson University, 98-29

GrayHare
11-07-2008, 07:05 AM
Article on goduke.com (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22760&SPID=1846&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=1619847)

Evidently, Anderson is a big fish in their little pond: "The Anderson University women's basketball team was selected first in the Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference pre-season coaches poll... (http://www.anderson.edu/w/athletics/womens-basketball)

GrayHare
11-07-2008, 08:56 AM
Evidently, Anderson is a big fish in their little pond: "The Anderson University women's basketball team was selected first in the Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference pre-season coaches poll... (http://www.anderson.edu/w/athletics/womens-basketball)

Oops! Wrong Anderson University! The one referenced above is in Indiana. The one run over last night is Anderson University (http://www.andersonuniversity.edu/) from South Carolina.

DWHoops (http://www.dwhoops.com/Duke/0811071-Exhibition-Anderson.php) account of the game.

MHTorringjan
11-07-2008, 09:47 AM
I'm pretty excited about the season starting back up for the women, it's nice to see them back on the court.

My thoughts on last night's game:
- I really liked our defensive intensity. 50 turnovers, I mean, come on! The girls played all 40 minutes (which, on the one hand led to running up the score, but on the other hand, gave valuable playing experience to our non-starters and to everyone in different lineups) and were really on in terms of the attention paid on defense to passing lanes.

- I felt like the speed of the game was much higher than last year. Not just in terms of fast-breaks and time of possession, but it felt like the girls were running faster than I remember them doing last year. I'm guessing the off-season helped with that.

- I liked Abby's numbers that she put up last night, and I certainly hope that the scoring continues into the season. But moreover, I liked her defensive intensity and the pressure she put on her coverage every possession she was in.

- Joy was money towards the end of the game, but it felt like it took her a while to get into her flow.

- I like our freshmen. A lot. Particularly, I like the potential I saw in Chelsea last night, a couple of the passes she had showed great court vision and an ability to put the ball where she wanted it (other than a couple of miscues, but that's to be expected early in the season).

- Overall, our passing was okay, but it showed some streaks of last year, where the ball was just out of reach of the receiver or right into an incoming defender. Hopefully, they'll work on that in short order.

In all, I can see what Coach P was talking about at Media Day, where she said that the offense is better than it was, but still not where it needs to be. I'm going to be excited to watch this year, because I think that we can do even better than we did last year!

Carlos
11-07-2008, 09:56 AM
Crap... I had Anderson and 67 points.

dball
11-07-2008, 10:54 AM
Crap... I had Anderson and 67 points.

sucker bet? :)

jimsumner
11-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Obviously Anderson was overmatched and no one expected this game to be close. But it should be noted that they are ranked #24 in D-2 and won a game in last year's NCAA D-2 Tourny.

It was a weird game. Anderson actually led 8-2. After a 15-0 Duke run, Anderson hit a 3 to make it 17-11. Then Duke went on a 42-0 run. No, that's not a typo. I'm not sure I've ever seen a 42-0 run, even heard of a 42-0 run. Something like 16 minutes without a point.

Another statistical anomaly. Anderson started the scoring with a lay-up after breaking the Duke press. 2-0. They didn't get another two-point field goal until the final few minutes. Thirty-five minutes or so of threes and free throws.

Duke's defense was stunning. Anderson simply couldn't run their offense. Duke had almost as many steals (32) as Anderson had field-goal attempts
(34). Anderson's assist/turnover ratio was 8/50. Ouch.

Waner looked like she had her shot back and Chante dominated inside, showing a dramatically improved handle. Krystal Thomas looks much more mobile than even a few weeks ago.

The most improved player, IMO, is Jasmine Thomas. Her shot is still funky and better teams than Anderson will make Duke pay if she doesn't shoot better. But 10 assists and 7 steals only hint at her aggression. She attacked every single second she was out there, on offense and defense.

Duke really pushed the tempo, always looking ahead for an easy basket. Fans who complained about the absence of a fast break last year can rest easy. Coach P has stated consistently that Duke will run more this year and last night demonstrated that.

And yes, Duke did press for 40 minutes. McCallie had some things she wanted to work on and she was going to do that regardless of the score.

Obviously, better teams will force Duke into more half-court sets and I'll be intrigued to see who emerges as a consistent third threat behind Waner and Black.

And yes, Chelsea Hopkins is a blur.

CameronBornAndBred
11-07-2008, 01:59 PM
Waner looked like she had her shot back .

To me, that is going to be huge this year. I was not thrilled by her percentage in the BW game. I know she is a good shooter, and all shooters go through slumps, but last year she seemed to be forcing even bad shots in hopes of getting out of it. So it's good to hear you saw some improvement.