PDA

View Full Version : could Hendo and Singler really pass up potential future Duke team?

houstondukie
11-06-2008, 01:55 PM
I know that they could potentially be lottery picks after this season, but if both players return next season, with all the other great players returning and the added recruits, Duke could potentially return a top 5 team this year intact in 2009-2010.

How many times do you hear about a top 5 team returning their entire starting lineup, plus 3 of their top 4 bench players, plus adding two 5 star big men? It reminds me of Florida '07 and this years UNC team, but better.

Could Gerald and Kyle really pass up this opportunity?

I know that if you did this exercise with other top teams it would be a similar story. But I think the difference between Duke and other teams is that Duke has the best shot of returning their best players with eligibility. For example, no way Ty Lawson and Wayne Ellington will be back next season, but Singler and Henderson don't seem in any rush and there's a good chance they return.

Kedsy
11-06-2008, 02:04 PM
For example, no way Ty Lawson and Wayne Ellington will be back next season, but Singler and Henderson don't seem in any rush and there's a good chance they return.

I don't understand this logic.

WeepingThomasHill
11-06-2008, 02:13 PM
The season has not even officially started, and you are already concerned about who may be leaving early next year?? Can't this discussion wait until mid-April, after we raise Banner #4?

Tim1515
11-06-2008, 02:36 PM
Yeah i don't agree with this logic. Maybe they will come back...but you're asking if they could pass up coming back to a top 5 team?...what about passing up making millions of dollars and being set for life.

A lot of people use Hendo's dad and money background as a reason he won't go pro...but the fact is...parent's money is a LOT different then your own stack of millions. Plus...Dunleavy left early

sagegrouse
11-06-2008, 03:23 PM
If Henderson and Singler have terrific years, I will be happy to live with the risk that they choose to leave. Worrying about this situation is what I call the syndrome of "every silver lining has a cloud." We are not going to win the NCAAs with less than a phenomenal performance by several players, including these two.

Most NBA lottery picks who are physically ready to play in the NBA would have to be nuts to return to school. And the fact that Hansbrough (Psycho-T) did so proves my point.

sagegrouse
'My other favorite fan syndrome is "whistling past the graveyard:" As in (prior to this year): "Yeah, I know we have lost every game, but I really, really believe we are going to beat Carolina in football."'

Lulu
11-06-2008, 03:42 PM
This question completely dismisses the notion that they are going to bring home the championship this year, and the effect that will have on their decision. That is poor fandom.

BlueintheFace
11-06-2008, 03:43 PM
I veto this thread (not that I have any power)...

Scorp4me
11-06-2008, 03:57 PM
As for the entire post I'll not make an argument, but Ty and Wayne wanted to be gone this year. I don't see them coming back unless they absolutely have to. I don't think that logic is hard to follow.

Diddy
11-06-2008, 04:21 PM
If Henderson and Singler have terrific years, I will be happy to live with the risk that they choose to leave. Worrying about this situation is what I call the syndrome of "every silver lining has a cloud." We are not going to win the NCAAs with less than a phenomenal performance by several players, including these two.

Most NBA lottery picks who are physically ready to play in the NBA would have to be nuts to return to school. And the fact that Hansbrough (Psycho-T) did so proves my point.

sagegrouse
'My other favorite fan syndrome is "whistling past the graveyard:" As in (prior to this year): "Yeah, I know we have lost every game, but I really, really believe we are going to beat Carolina in football."'

...About Hans. Last year, he would have been a solid, mid first round pick. Now he has his first major injury (that will require him to miss time). Do you think that will impact his draft status? Darn right it will, especially if he is slow to heal or shows lasting damage from the injury this season.

Hendo has had a major injury, and surgery. By coming back next year he runs the risk of another, potentially career altering, injury. I feel that he is late lottery right now, and that could go up with his performance this year. If Singler continues what is reportedly fantastic play, I could see him playing his way into the lottery.

And that is the key. Both will have to play their way up. For both to be serious lottery targets, Duke will have to have a fantastic year. Those two players have the greatest upside (for this season) on Duke's roster. If they have good years, then Duke will have a good year, probably ending on the second weekend of the tourney, hopefully the elite eight. If both have great years then Duke is a serious NC threat, if not a NC favorite. Should we have a FF type year, then we can't complain if we have some attrition. That is the cost of doing business in today's college game.

We can't expect two kids to put on hold lucrative futures for the chance to be a/the top team. There is too much downside for them. A bird in the hand, and whatnot.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-06-2008, 04:26 PM

Post of the week nominee!

As to the original point of this thread - can it until mid April, OK? Enjoy the journey - THIS season is going to be a lot of fun. Next year, and after, will take care of itself when the times come.

BD80
11-06-2008, 04:31 PM
As to the original point of this thread - can it until mid April, OK? Enjoy the journey - THIS season is going to be a lot of fun. Next year, and after, will take care of itself when the times come.

Can we vote to close threads?

Edouble
11-06-2008, 05:46 PM
We don't rebuild, we reload. Those two know we'll be fine if they were to choose to leave early.

Diddy
11-07-2008, 01:37 AM
We don't rebuild, we reload. Those two know we'll be fine if they were to choose to leave early.

We do reload.

Even without G and Kyle, AND if Duke doesn't get Wall, Duke will still be fine.

Our guard rotation would consist of Nolan, Williams, and Scheyer, with Pocius potentially providing solid minutes off the bench.

Our Front court would be Thomas, both Plumlees, Zoubek, Kelly, and Olek probably capable of solid minutes.

That is a nice team. It would not be a top 10-15 team in weak one of the season. But by March, that team would be dangerous. Very dangerous. No one would want that Duke squad in their bracket. It probably wouldn't be a FF type team. But we would be a serious threat to make the elite 8, and the returning players for 10-11, along with the recruits, would be redonkulous. Top 5, easy.

ps

If Duke were to lose both Hendo and Singler, Wall would be salivating at the chance to come to Duke. He would have a strong chance to play big minutes on a team that would turn into a top 15 team with his presence.

Kedsy
11-07-2008, 11:33 AM
If Duke were to lose both Hendo and Singler, Wall would be salivating at the chance to come to Duke. He would have a strong chance to play big minutes on a team that would turn into a top 15 team with his presence.

I don't get this logic, either. Don't you think Wall would expect to play big minutes no matter who's there, no matter where he goes? If he's only expecting to play one year of college, would he rather play on a team likely to make the Final Four or a team he can "turn into" a top 15 team?

trinity92
11-07-2008, 11:47 AM
Yes.

What are all the extraneous words here for?

Yes.

Life's too short to waste typing.

Yes.

houstondukie
11-07-2008, 05:53 PM
We do reload.

Even without G and Kyle, AND if Duke doesn't get Wall, Duke will still be fine.
Our guard rotation would consist of Nolan, Williams, and Scheyer, with Pocius potentially providing solid minutes off the bench.

Our Front court would be Thomas, both Plumlees, Zoubek, Kelly, and Olek probably capable of solid minutes.

That is a nice team. It would not be a top 10-15 team in weak one of the season. But by March, that team would be dangerous. Very dangerous. No one would want that Duke squad in their bracket. It probably wouldn't be a FF type team. But we would be a serious threat to make the elite 8, and the returning players for 10-11, along with the recruits, would be redonkulous. Top 5, easy.

ps

Duke will not be fine. Not if the goal is to win a national championship, which it should always be.

I'm sorry, but a frontcourt of Zoubek, Thomas, Mi. Plumnee and 2 freshmen is not going to win it all. The backcourt of Smith, Scheyer, and Williams is excellent but there's not enough depth to play Duke's gaurd oriented offense. Not to mention what happens with foul trouble or injuries.

A nice team? Yes.
Contender? No.

Kedsy
11-07-2008, 08:35 PM
Duke will not be fine. Not if the goal is to win a national championship, which it should always be.

Unrealistic expectations much?

houstondukie
11-08-2008, 02:24 AM
Unrealistic expectations much?

You don't come to Duke to play in the sweet sixteen.

Cameron
11-08-2008, 07:42 PM
The goal for Duke is definitely to win the national championship each season, there is no doubt about it. However, the answer to the question regarding Kyle and Gerald is, yes.

These kids are studs and could leave next summer in a heart beat. The good thing about this, however, is that they might not want to. We have no idea.

Therefore, this thread is rather pointless.

Kedsy
11-09-2008, 12:12 AM
You don't come to Duke to play in the sweet sixteen.

You mean the players or the fans? Either way, the idea that any team can be a legitimate national championship contender every single year is just plain silly. As is the idea that there's some sort of entitlement. If Henderson and Singler leave, they leave. The team will still be good. While you may not be happy if that happens, I don't understand your assertion that "Duke will not be fine."

houstondukie
11-09-2008, 11:36 AM
You mean the players or the fans? Either way, the idea that any team can be a legitimate national championship contender every single year is just plain silly. As is the idea that there's some sort of entitlement. If Henderson and Singler leave, they leave. The team will still be good. While you may not be happy if that happens, I don't understand your assertion that "Duke will not be fine."

I mean the players of course. Did you really think that I was suggesting that the students come to Duke for final fours rather than something called an education?

Secondly, I'm not trying to sound entitled at all. All I'm saying is that if the goal is to be a national champion, which it should be at every school, then we won't be "fine" next year. Nobody, in any area of life, should settle for anything other than the best. So when you say Duke will not be a contender without Henderson and Singler but will still be "fine", call me entitled if you want, but I don't agree.

Duke has been a "fine" team the last 2 years. I'm tired of "fine".

NashvilleDevil
11-09-2008, 11:46 AM
is this even a topic of discussion in November? Can't we just watch and enjoy the 2008-2009 Duke basketball team and save any going pro talk until April 7, 2009?

Indoor66
11-09-2008, 12:03 PM
is this even a topic of discussion in November? Can't we just watch and enjoy the 2008-2009 Duke basketball team and save any going pro talk until April 7, 2009?

Why not? :rolleyes: Some seem to spend hours on 2010 recruiting. I, too, am in favor of enjoying this season. My life goes by fast enough. I don't need to speed it up. :)

slower
11-09-2008, 12:05 PM
Nobody, in any area of life, should settle for anything other than the best.

An idiotic notion, on so many levels.

Jumbo
11-09-2008, 12:14 PM
Considering a number of posters have requested that we put this discussion on hold and the way this thread is meandering, I'm going to close it.