PDA

View Full Version : Another VERY Familiar Face at Lenoir Rhyne

jdj4duke
11-05-2008, 10:52 AM
The AD at Lenoir Rhyne is Neil McGeachy who was an integral part of Duke basketball in the early 1970's:
"McGeachy became Duke’s freshmen basketball coach then was elevated to top assistant before becoming head coach in 1973-74 " from the LR Athletics website-

Bob Green
11-06-2008, 04:25 AM
As I've posted previously, 1974 was the nadir of Duke Basketball. The Neil McGeachy - Duke Basketball nexus is 1974. Enough said!

roywhite
11-06-2008, 07:03 AM
As I've posted previously, 1974 was the nadir of Duke Basketball. The Neil McGeachy - Duke Basketball nexus is 1974. Enough said!

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/seasons/season-stats.php?season=1973-74

They even look different from other Duke teams.

Inonehand
11-06-2008, 07:49 AM
http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/seasons/season-stats.php?season=1973-74

They even look different from other Duke teams.

Loved some of those players though! I'm not sure they were that bad or if other teams were that good. Look through the rosters of the ACC teams from that season and you will find a high percentage of the top players in ACC history. In the last 11 games or so Duke gave up something like 15 double-doubles. And you've heard of most of the players that dropped them on us.

weezie
11-06-2008, 08:11 AM
Gosh, those warm-up pants were something! I have to hand it to Indiana for holding onto theirs, though. That takes some kind of nerve........

Atldukie79
11-06-2008, 08:31 AM
This was the year of the double UNC whamy.

We played a superior UNC team to the wire in Cameron before our Paul Fox threw the ball away to Bobby Jones at mid court. He proceeded in for a layup unimpeded at the buzzer to break a tie. I recall that he never broke stride and continued into the locker room.

It is also the year of the unspeakable 8 points in 16 seconds catastrophy...no more need be said.

Should this Duke team have pulled out both wins, McGeahy might have been retained and no Bill Foster....What if?