PDA

View Full Version : Coach Cutcliffe Weekly Teleconference

watzone
11-03-2008, 12:27 PM
http://bluedevilnation.net/?p=1227

Coach talks of the Wake loss and turnovers, looks ahead to State and asks fans to turn out in force for the NC State game in Wade. Needless to say he was disappointed with the turnovers in the Wake loss.

chrishoke
11-03-2008, 12:44 PM
Thanks! A good read.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Thank you for this link, watzone.

I love what Coach Cutcliffe said about this team and building a program. He says the team and the staff are moving on to prepare for the next game.

He's asked us to fill the stadium Saturday and make ourselves heard. I hope all the guys still discussing the Wake game have their NC State tickets ready.

If you want be a part of what happens in the crucial month of November, show up in DUKE BLUE.

GO DUKE! Beat State!

Diddy
11-03-2008, 02:13 PM
Fulmer will not return to Tennessee Next Year. No one is saying that Cut is a target, cause apparantly Tenn wants a younger coach. I am just putting it out there.

killerleft
11-03-2008, 03:39 PM
Does anyone know the rules regarding onside kicks? I thought I did. Why could Johnny Williams not catch the ball after it went 10 yards? Certainly he "interfered" with Wake's desire to get the ball, but I thought that was the whole point of the thing. Williams clearly caught the ball without hitting anyone.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Does anyone know the rules regarding onside kicks? I thought I did. Why could Johnny Williams not catch the ball after it went 10 yards? Certainly he "interfered" with Wake's desire to get the ball, but I thought that was the whole point of the thing. Williams clearly caught the ball without hitting anyone.

If you're talking about the penalty Duke got after an onside kick Saturday, it was explained later that the ball had not touched the ground before Williams caught it. By catching it before it first hit the ground, Williams "interfered" with Wake's opportunity to catch the ball. Bob Harris said it was the first time in over 40 years of announcing football games he'd seen such a penalty invoked.

killerleft
11-03-2008, 04:28 PM
If you're talking about the penalty Duke got after an onside kick Saturday, it was explained later that the ball had not touched the ground before Williams caught it. By catching it before it first hit the ground, Williams "interfered" with Wake's opportunity to catch the ball. Bob Harris said it was the first time in over 40 years of announcing football games he'd seen such a penalty invoked.

Thanks, DitBD. I tried to answer my own question and went to the NCAA rulebook. The rulebook does not preclude the kicking team from catching an onside kick in the air, per se. It DOES deem illegal catching it in the air if a receiving team player could have caught it.

I saw the play clearly, but from about the 20 yard line on the "Duke" side of the field nearest the fieldhouse. I haven't seen a replay, and couldn't tell if a Wake player might have caught it had Johnny Williams let it go. I don't think so, but really can't be sure.

watzone
11-03-2008, 04:48 PM
The kick seemed somewhat bothersome to Cut, but all he can do is put it to bed and get ready for hopefully the fifth win of the season. He was very emphatic about fan turnout. I predict a sellout abd standing room only. Get there early. Also, I hope the concession stands are ready this time. Anyone remember the last NCSU game in Wade?? There needs to be an emphasis on preperation for this game.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-03-2008, 05:08 PM
The kick seemed somewhat bothersome to Cut, but all he can do is put it to bed and get ready for hopefully the fifth win of the season. He was very emphatic about fan turnout. I predict a sellout abd standing room only. Get there early. Also, I hope the concession stands are ready this time. Anyone remember the last NCSU game in Wade?? There needs to be an emphasis on preperation for this game.
I was there!

This one Saturday's going to be a "function at the junction"! I can't wait!

Who else is going to be at the game?