PDA

View Full Version : Fulmer out at Tennessee

BD80
11-03-2008, 11:16 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3679810

The speculation begins.

Please don't go Cut!!!!

Fortunately, word is a lot of top tier coaches would want the job.

sagegrouse
11-03-2008, 11:24 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3679810

The speculation begins.

Please don't go Cut!!!!

Fortunately, word is a lot of top tier coaches would want the job.

Suppose Duke had beaten NW and WF and had a record of 6-2. Wouldn't we be sweating bullets about Coach Cut leaving? Maybe we should anyway.

sagegrouse

CameronBornAndBred
11-03-2008, 11:31 AM
I've talked about it before, but I'll say it again. I think Cut is happy where he is, and is not one to leave a job unfinished. He's also a man of loyalty, for what that's worth. Duke has shown him that his program is going to be supported, Kevin White has stressed they will do what it takes to ensure that David Cutcliffe remains at Duke. That's two sides of the fence in mutual agreement, I don't see him leaving now.

P.S. I noticed Tennessee's score yesterday and made a mental note about how that was probably Fulmer's last game.

chrishoke
11-03-2008, 11:50 AM
I think there is a mutual lack of interest. Cut is too associated with Fulmer. Tenn will want to go in a different direction - younger.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-03-2008, 12:05 PM
I've talked about it before, but I'll say it again. I think Cut is happy where he is, and is not one to leave a job unfinished. He's also a man of loyalty, for what that's worth. Duke has shown him that his program is going to be supported, Kevin White has stressed they will do what it takes to ensure that David Cutcliffe remains at Duke. That's two sides of the fence in mutual agreement, I don't see him leaving now.

P.S. I noticed Tennessee's score yesterday and made a mental note about how that was probably Fulmer's last game.

I am thinking along the same lines, CBaB. Duke has given Coach Cutcliffe the opportunity to return to being a head coach while reassembling his staff from Ole Miss. This man understands and values loyalty. What he can accomplish at Duke is the creation of a legacy not possible anywhere else. Somehow I don't think he's the sort of guy who can be bought.

There will be other rumors about possible head coach's jobs while he's at Duke. Let's make sure Coach Cutcliffe knows how special we think he is.

roywhite
11-03-2008, 12:07 PM
I think there is a mutual lack of interest. Cut is too associated with Fulmer. Tenn will want to go in a different direction - younger.

No inside info, but I agree with this, and CameronBornandBred's post also.

FWIW, the Vols fan message boards don't mention much about Cut. Their dream candidate type seems to be a young, offensive-minded coach.

brianl
11-03-2008, 12:08 PM
I called in to a local sports talk radio show here in Richmond on Friday and spoke with Chris Landry. He said that only head coaching jobs at UT or Alabama (Cut's Alma Mater) would woo him away, but he said that he didn't see Cut leaving if the UT job became open this year. He said Cut wasn't the type to pick up and leave that quickly. There was also a reference to him being a little older and he felt like we had Cut for the long term.

See everybody Saturday !!!! Has anybody heard how early they are opening the parking lots?

6th Man
11-03-2008, 12:12 PM
From Cut's character I can't see him bailing after this year. It may be a blessing that this is happening during Cut's first season. We really need to pack Wallace Wade Sat. and bring a good effort as fans. Let Coach and the team know how proud we are of what they are accomplishing.

We also need to see some improvements to the stadium and facilities so Coach Cut knows we are committed to football.

studdlee10
11-03-2008, 12:13 PM
I can't see the Vols hiring Cutcliffe. He's a great coach, but 1) he's too old and 2) he is a known commodity, he has a defined ceiling.

For a school like Duke, a perennial laughing stock, a guy like Cutcliffe makes sense, instant credibility and experience and lower expectations. For a school like UT, a program that is use to being a contender every year, they need a home run candidate. They need a guy who can battle the younger coaching talents (Meyer, Miles, Saban, etc) in the SEC.

I think Mike Leach would be ideal, but I can't see him leaving Tech. Butch Davis is another great candidate to me....the guy is one of the best recruiters out there.

devildeac
11-03-2008, 12:37 PM
I can't see the Vols hiring Cutcliffe. He's a great coach, but 1) he's too old and 2) he is a known commodity, he has a defined ceiling.

For a school like Duke, a perennial laughing stock, a guy like Cutcliffe makes sense, instant credibility and experience and lower expectations. For a school like UT, a program that is use to being a contender every year, they need a home run candidate. They need a guy who can battle the younger coaching talents (Meyer, Miles, Saban, etc) in the SEC.

I think Mike Leach would be ideal, but I can't see him leaving Tech. Butch Davis is another great candidate to me....the guy is one of the best recruiters out there.

Go ahead, Butch, take the job;)

A-Tex Devil
11-03-2008, 12:45 PM
It will be interesting to see what they do.

I read somewhere (probably baseless speculation) that Tenn. wants someone with head coaching experience only, which likely rules out Lane Kiffin (can you count the Raiders?) and Will Muschamp (thank God!).

I could see them going after Todd Graham at Tulsa or even Mike Gundy (if he's willing to leave his alma mater). Perhaps even Gary Pinkel (although I don't think he's that good of a coach and he may be up for Washington).

I doubt Cutcliffe goes - and as others have said, it's probably a mutual thing. Too many factors weigh against it: age, Fulmer was his good friend, only first year at Duke, no non-Eli success at Ole Miss (although in fairness, he only had one year after Eli left before they canned him), etc.

Diddy
11-03-2008, 02:45 PM
We need to get Butch the h-e-Double Hockey Sticks out of UNC. He is recruiting too well. Duke does not need a superpower literally in our back yard, and UNC will be there in 3-4 years. Go to UT and prove you are a great coach.

rockymtn devil
11-03-2008, 03:04 PM
It will be interesting to see what they do.

I read somewhere (probably baseless speculation) that Tenn. wants someone with head coaching experience only, which likely rules out Lane Kiffin (can you count the Raiders?) and Will Muschamp (thank God!).

I could see them going after Todd Graham at Tulsa or even Mike Gundy (if he's willing to leave his alma mater). Perhaps even Gary Pinkel (although I don't think he's that good of a coach and he may be up for Washington).

I doubt Cutcliffe goes - and as others have said, it's probably a mutual thing. Too many factors weigh against it: age, Fulmer was his good friend, only first year at Duke, no non-Eli success at Ole Miss (although in fairness, he only had one year after Eli left before they canned him), etc.

I think this is the most important point made in this thread. For all the talk of Cut's loyalty in this thread, it's all related back to his loyalty to Duke. I suspect he has much loyalty to Coach Fulmer and I can't imagine he'd be interested in replacing him in these circumstances. When Ohio State forced John Cooper out, Walt Harris (still a hot coaching commodity) was viewed as a likely replacement. He pulled his name from contention pretty early on in the process. I see Cut doing the same.

A-Tex Devil
11-03-2008, 03:13 PM
I think this is the most important point made in this thread. For all the talk of Cut's loyalty in this thread, it's all related back to his loyalty to Duke. I suspect he has much loyalty to Coach Fulmer and I can't imagine he'd be interested in replacing him in these circumstances. When Ohio State forced John Cooper out, Walt Harris (still a hot coaching commodity) was viewed as a likely replacement. He pulled his name from contention pretty early on in the process. I see Cut doing the same.

And to clarify - I should have said Fulmer IS his good friend.

arnie
11-03-2008, 03:23 PM
And to clarify - I should have said Fulmer IS his good friend.

I think all of you are crazy! If UT comes knocking in December and Fullmer doesn't have a problem with Cutcliffe succeeding him, he's gone. I don't think loyalty to Duke is that strong after 6-7 months.

My hope is that UT doesn't come knocking - let's all hope they go after one of many bright young coaches.

Classof06
11-03-2008, 04:02 PM
I think Cutcliffe is a man of class and loyalty. And if he decides that he wants to stay at Duke, I really wouldn't be surprised at all.

But even with blue-tinted glasses, one has to admit there's a very good possibility that Tennessee is going to make a push at Cutcliffe. It passes the logic test. With Tennessee being the program it is, I'm sure Cutcliffe won't be the only candidate (Lane Kiffin immediately comes to mind). But Cutcliffe's going to get a phone call from Tennessee's AD at the very, very least.

As crazy as this might sound, Cutcliffe leaving or staying wouldn't surprise me either way. I think he came to Duke with a plan and has intentions of completing that plan.

But to get another chance to coach in the SEC and to coach at a blue-blood program like Tennessee (a place he's already familiar with) is a lot to pass up.

We shall see. As an alum, I truly hope he stays at Duke...

formerdukeathlete
11-03-2008, 04:10 PM
I think all of you are crazy! If UT comes knocking in December and Fullmer doesn't have a problem with Cutcliffe succeeding him, he's gone. I don't think loyalty to Duke is that strong after 6-7 months.

My hope is that UT doesn't come knocking - let's all hope they go after one of many bright young coaches.

One of the pluses - Cut is paid well - 1.5 million, plus.

One of the negatives - apparently there is no buyout in Cut's contract at Duke - based on other posts which seem credible to this poster.

You are probably right that if UT offers he goes. I find it persuasive that UT may want to go younger.

But, if we are offering 1.5, we will have other good coaches interested in the Duke job. Cut is a good coach....but, there are others out there - fear not.

bill brill
11-03-2008, 04:15 PM
is not old -- he's two years younger than butch davis. and I am convinced he will be remain the duke coach and make this program as good as it can be, whatever that is.

DukeBlueBlood 2.0
11-03-2008, 04:22 PM
Take Butch and leave Cut alone please.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-03-2008, 05:36 PM
Tenn will want to go in a different direction - younger.

How old is Steve Logan? He's certainly offensive minded and has head coaching experience.

studdlee10
11-03-2008, 05:48 PM
is not old -- he's two years younger than butch davis. and I am convinced he will be remain the duke coach and make this program as good as it can be, whatever that is.

Good point. Cut has had his heart problems and Butch has had his cancer scare, so both have had some health scares.

BUT....Say what you want about Butch Davis the coach, but Butch Davis the recruiter is simply amazing. That Miami championship was all Butch players (and you could make the argument that they should have had a shot at it the previous year). If you look at the talent he pulled in at Miami...it really is amazing. Granted recruiting at Duke is different than recruiting at Miami/UNC, but you have to admit, the talent Butch has pulled in at every stop has been amazing, and college football is all about one thing....recruiting.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-03-2008, 05:57 PM
How old is Steve Logan? He's certainly offensive minded and has head coaching experience.
Wow! Imagine what he could do at TN! ..... I'd rather see that honor go to Coach Davis just down the road.

Gunnar Kaufman
11-03-2008, 06:06 PM
Cutcliffe is not in Tennessee's sights.

jimsumner
11-03-2008, 06:24 PM
Cutcliffe on Fulmer.

FWIW.

Duke head football coach David Cutcliffe:

"Obviously this is a very personal situation that happened today. Phillip Fulmer is one of the best friends I have in this world. I am saddened to see the end of a great era in college football. Not only is Phillip a great person, he is the best football coach I’ve ever been associated with. His work ethic, attention to detail and recruiting efforts were lessons for all of us who were fortunate enough to work alongside him. I wish Phillip and his family the best as they move forward."

FWIW2, Cutcliffe weekly media conference tomorrow. Can't imagine the subject won't come up.

dkbaseball
11-03-2008, 06:48 PM
They need a guy who can battle the younger coaching talents (Meyer, Miles, Saban, etc) in the SEC.

Miles and Saban are both older than Cut. I hope and expect there'd be no courtship between Tenn. and Cut, but they'd be crazy to overlook him because of age. He's about 27 years younger than JoePa, who still seems to be getting it done.

RelativeWays
11-03-2008, 08:31 PM
Who is this Duke football coach David Cutcliffe you guys keep talking about? I know of no such person at Duke University and I am not sure this person exists. If I were looking for ...uh....what's his name Cutcliffe? Yeah, anyway, if I were looking for such a person to fill a coaching vacancy I would not look at Duke because no such person is there...at all. Never was, never will be. If I were Tennessee, I would not bother looking at Duke for a football coach and I would forget this..uh....what's his name again...Richard...no...David, yeah David Cutcliffe....... I would forget all about him. forget....all

about...him....forget....f.. o.. r.... g...e ...t.

......forget.....about...him....forget

....f.. o...............................r.............g... ........e.....t

Scorp4me
11-03-2008, 10:07 PM
I am thinking along the same lines, CBaB. Duke has given Coach Cutcliffe the opportunity to return to being a head coach while reassembling his staff from Ole Miss. This man understands and values loyalty. What he can accomplish at Duke is the creation of a legacy not possible anywhere else. Somehow I don't think he's the sort of guy who can be bought.

There will be other rumors about possible head coach's jobs while he's at Duke. Let's make sure Coach Cutcliffe knows how special we think he is.

Cutcliffe came with a purpose. Duke has given him the opportunity to accomplish that including reassembling his staff. Devil in a Blue Dress has got it right.

dukemomLA
11-03-2008, 11:32 PM
I have not a doubt in my mind that Coach Cut would now leave Duke for TN.

He's starting to build a dynasty here -- even without any of his own recruits yet on board. TN can look elsewhere and probably will.

Go Coach Cut -- and Duke Football.

Edouble
11-04-2008, 12:28 AM
I have not a doubt in my mind that Coach Cut would now leave Duke for TN.

He's starting to build a dynasty here -- even without any of his own recruits yet on board. TN can look elsewhere and probably will.

Go Coach Cut -- and Duke Football.

Uh, are you trying to say that you have not a doubt in your mind that Coach Cut wouldn't now leave Duke for TN?

I think that's what you mean, but it seems like you're saying two different things.

CameronBornAndBred
11-04-2008, 01:32 AM
Cutcliffe is expected to at least touch on the Tennessee scenario (http://heraldsun.southernheadlines.com/sports/duke/39-1010841.cfm) today at his weekly press conference. I expect nothing less than a very nice backing and support of Fulmer, and a commitment to Duke. I will be surprised with anything more or less.

RelativeWays
11-04-2008, 07:36 AM
Honestly I'll be suprised if Coach Cut is on Tennessee's short list. I think since they have pressured Phil Fulmer to resign, they are probably looking for someone to generate excitement and change for the Vol football program. That would rule out anyone connected with Fulmer's regime, like Coach Cut. If he is on the list, he's like a safety date to the prom, if nobody else wants the job, they may pursue him. Reading some of the comments on the ESPN Tennessee board, there are a few posters who want him, but a lot do not want him at all, they want Tennessee to go a different route. I think Coach Cut is going to be wearing Duke blue for a while.

Inonehand
11-04-2008, 08:03 AM
Tennessee is a worse job than Clemson but better than Washington. Fulmer, with Cutcliffe, won a national championship at UT. UT was always better with Cut there. Someone earlier said Cutcliffe has a defined ceiling...defined by what? Cotton Bowl with a school that's never very good? Approaching bowl eligibility with a school that hasn't been to one in 14 years? Cutcliffe's ceiling has been defined only by the jobs he's been in. Give him the opportunity, he would win big at a program that truly allows for it. BUT, UT won't hire him. They won't get Leach. Then they will screw it up with their eventual hire.

formerdukeathlete
11-04-2008, 09:15 AM
Tennessee is a worse job than Clemson but better than Washington. Fulmer, with Cutcliffe, won a national championship at UT. UT was always better with Cut there. Someone earlier said Cutcliffe has a defined ceiling...defined by what? Cotton Bowl with a school that's never very good? Approaching bowl eligibility with a school that hasn't been to one in 14 years? Cutcliffe's ceiling has been defined only by the jobs he's been in. Give him the opportunity, he would win big at a program that truly allows for it. BUT, UT won't hire him. They won't get Leach. Then they will screw it up with their eventual hire.

This has been a learning experience for Duke.

Cut certainly has been very enthusiastic, the players are pretty well behind him, we won 4 games, largely due to the experience of our players, conditioning, and, yes coaching. Some players attribute success more to playing together for another year. I recall watching Ayanga Okpokowuruk's comments after the JMU game I believe where he attributed the success to playing together for another year, "and that's all I am going to say about that."

Recruiting has been pretty good....like the first one or two of Roof's recruiting classes.

Here is where Kevin White comes in. If Cut is offered 2 mil by Tenn. and comes back to Duke and says, match it and I will stay. Then whether we should do this will be a function of who else will be interested in the Duke job. I would be inclined to say, go take that job, Cut, and get somebody else. K. White has contacts and credibility. There may be an even better fit out there. If Cut stays.., great, he seems to be working out well. I am not entirely drinking the Koolaid (as in gameday), is all. We will be fine, with the appropriate commitment, a plan for that commitment, in Football.

DukieInKansas
11-04-2008, 09:28 AM
FWIW, I was talking to a UT season ticket holder last week and thanking him for Coach Cut. His sense was that Coach would not return to UT for a variety of reasons - way he was treated, friendship with Fullmer, etc. From his lips to God's ears! :)

Ima Facultiwyfe
11-04-2008, 12:12 PM
I'm holding tight to the words Cutcliffe proclaims on the jumbotron production they show just before the team's entrance into WW every game.

He says, "We will never, NEVER go away!"

Hope he means it, bless his heart.
Love, Ima

Inonehand
11-04-2008, 01:37 PM
This has been a learning experience for Duke.

Cut certainly has been very enthusiastic, the players are pretty well behind him, we won 4 games, largely due to the experience of our players, conditioning, and, yes coaching. Some players attribute success more to playing together for another year. I recall watching Ayanga Okpokowuruk's comments after the JMU game I believe where he attributed the success to playing together for another year, "and that's all I am going to say about that."

Recruiting has been pretty good....like the first one or two of Roof's recruiting classes.

Here is where Kevin White comes in. If Cut is offered 2 mil by Tenn. and comes back to Duke and says, match it and I will stay. Then whether we should do this will be a function of who else will be interested in the Duke job. I would be inclined to say, go take that job, Cut, and get somebody else. K. White has contacts and credibility. There may be an even better fit out there. If Cut stays.., great, he seems to be working out well. I am not entirely drinking the Koolaid (as in gameday), is all. We will be fine, with the appropriate commitment, a plan for that commitment, in Football.

To not give Cutcliffe more credit than this for the relative success and competitiveness Duke is enjoying is less than insightful, in my opinion. Without our number one running back, without our best tight end, and with an extremely banged up wide receiving corp, I am very happy with the offensive results for this team. The conditioning of the team is a direct result of this coaching staff as well. Coach Cutcliffe has made a huge difference at Duke. Start building and keep Cut happy. Hiring another new coach with another new offense is exactly the last thing Duke Football needs.

formerdukeathlete
11-04-2008, 02:51 PM
...........Start building and keep Cut happy. Hiring another new coach with another new offense is exactly the last thing Duke Football needs.

Cut makes about twice Vandy's and Northwestern's coaches and about 50% more than Stanford's coach. His staff is with him and is well-compensated. I suggest he should be happly - already. These combined comp. figures are a lot of firepower to throw into a coaching change, instead of getting into a bidding war with another school interested in hiring Cut away. If we have an approved plan to fix Wade, and are talking this kind of money, we would have a lot of interest in the Duke job.

Inonehand
11-04-2008, 07:29 PM
Cut makes about twice Vandy's and Northwestern's coaches and about 50% more than Stanford's coach. His staff is with him and is well-compensated. I suggest he should be happly - already. These combined comp. figures are a lot of firepower to throw into a coaching change, instead of getting into a bidding war with another school interested in hiring Cut away. If we have an approved plan to fix Wade, and are talking this kind of money, we would have a lot of interest in the Duke job.

You make my point. However, keeping Cutcliffe happy in my mind only means getting the facility enhancements and additions started. Compensation is not the issue. A year after hiring him, we lose him and have no problem hiring someone as good? Not a chance. We were throwing around the same money and the same ideas for facilities last year and in most observers' opinions, we got lucky. None of the coaches we initially thought would be great hires were interested.

formerdukeathlete
11-04-2008, 08:47 PM
You make my point. However, keeping Cutcliffe happy in my mind only means getting the facility enhancements and additions started. Compensation is not the issue. A year after hiring him, we lose him and have no problem hiring someone as good? Not a chance. We were throwing around the same money and the same ideas for facilities last year and in most observers' opinions, we got lucky. None of the coaches we initially thought would be great hires were interested.

I am more sanguine about the relative attractiveness of the Duke Football coaching job. When we interviewed coaches last year, yes, we were surprised that, for example, the Air Force coach declined, even though we were offering 4 times the money he was making. Duke had a bad reputation. Lacrosse and otherwise. Progress has been made.

Inonehand
11-05-2008, 07:30 AM
I am more sanguine about the relative attractiveness of the Duke Football coaching job. When we interviewed coaches last year, yes, we were surprised that, for example, the Air Force coach declined, even though we were offering 4 times the money he was making. Duke had a bad reputation. Lacrosse and otherwise. Progress has been made.

Our struggles in getting anyone to be interested in our coaching job last year had nothing to do with lacrosse. I know we are supposed to temper such remarks with 'IMHO' or something like that. Sorry. The progress that has been made at Duke where it relates to football...is because of football. Specifically, because we got lucky and hired David Cutcliffe when nobody else worthy of being hired was interested. Whether we want to believe it or not, Duke remains one of the least attractive jobs in the country. Doesn't mean that it really is a bad job...just that Duke has a long way to go before it is seen in any other light. We have a really good coach. Let's focus on structures now. Please.

formerdukeathlete
11-05-2008, 08:10 AM

A couple more thoughts - re what we were shopping around as possible facilities upgrades last year when interviewing coaches - Alleva's RATIO Architects plan for Wade was window dressing compared with what K. White is talking about now. I also think the idea for a new indoor practice facility (or at least the perceived need for it) came to light mostly after Cut was hired.

If K. White's recommendations for Wade and any other Football facilities are finalized and approved by the Trustees (subject to fundraising, of course) in the next several months, this should have a more meaningful impact in the next search (after this season, should the need arise) than the ideas floated around last year - even if we anticipate x years to raise the money in the challenging environment post Oct. 2008 crash. That the plans have been approved and a concrete plans implemented beginning with fundraising is light at the end of the tunnel.

As you point out, these plans will also help us retain our current coach, yet improve our chances of landing a good coach in a new search.

Inonehand
11-05-2008, 11:43 AM
A couple more thoughts - re what we were shopping around as possible facilities upgrades last year when interviewing coaches - Alleva's RATIO Architects plan for Wade was window dressing compared with what K. White is talking about now. I also think the idea for a new indoor practice facility (or at least the perceived need for it) came to light mostly after Cut was hired.

If K. White's recommendations for Wade and any other Football facilities are finalized and approved by the Trustees (subject to fundraising, of course) in the next several months, this should have a more meaningful impact in the next search (after this season, should the need arise) than the ideas floated around last year - even if we anticipate x years to raise the money in the challenging environment post Oct. 2008 crash. That the plans have been approved and a concrete plans implemented beginning with fundraising is light at the end of the tunnel.

As you point out, these plans will also help us retain our current coach, yet improve our chances of landing a good coach in a new search.

I agree that K. White has enhanced the ideas associated with Wallace Wade. And that Cutcliffe is the push behind the indoor practice facility. I would say, however, that talk by itself (and I include trustee approval as talk) is cheap. We need movement and movement soon. No dirt dug will equal a less happy Cutcliffe and if needed, a less interested applicant pool.