View Full Version : North Carolina State at Duke

Bob Green
11-02-2008, 08:08 PM
Duke has opened as a 3.5 point favorite in this Saturday's game against State:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college%2Dfootball/odds/las%2Dvegas/

Place your game thoughts here.

CameronBornAndBred
11-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Well obviously we have to improve on special teams. But beyond that one given, I just want to see more of the same. I was so impressed with our overall game play and game plan at Wake. We took risks, played soundly, and gave ourselves a chance to win. I think against State, who right now is a less talented team than Wake, we should win soundly. I'm not saying we will, but we should. I'm expecting to walk out Wade with a huge smile Saturday evening.

Kimist
11-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Experience (well, at least when we played State on an annual basis) has long ago taught me the "predictability" of the NCSU game is just slightly ahead of forecasting the outcome of the game against our friends from Orange Kounty Kommunity Kollege.

I thoroughly agree that Duke has made significant progress this season, and hopefully some bandages can be put on the kicking game before Saturday.

In any case, I fully expect a wild and wooly game against the wolves even though "on paper" Duke should have a decided advantage.

k

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-02-2008, 11:43 PM
This game is not to be taken lightly. Emotions usually play a big part in any football game with NC State. Records and trends seem to mean little once the game starts.

I believe we've got the better coaching staff and that our players continue to progress well in their mastery of a proven system. If the team can execute crisply and precisely, the results will be exciting and should result in a win. Though injuries continue to take a toll, the players who fill in have generally been impressive.

GO DUKE! Beat State!

OZZIE4DUKE
11-03-2008, 07:43 AM
I was thrilled and surprised to see in Monday's paper (N&O) that Duke is a 4 1/2 point favorite over NCSU! Sounds like we're finally starting to get some respect from the national media/powers that be. Now, we just have to go out and beat the spread. No easy task for our men in Blue, but doable.

Duke/State games have tended to be wild, high scoring affairs over the years, even when we weren't very good. I'm really looking forward to Saturday's game (and tailgate IV).

chrishoke
11-03-2008, 08:15 AM
I expect a high scoring game, back and forth. State's young QB, Wilson, is the highest rated QB in the ACC. State has had a week off to prepare and get healthy. This will be a very tough game.

PumpkinFunk
11-03-2008, 08:42 AM
My personal thought is that, if we can fix the numerous special teams miscues that we had at Wake, we should be set. State's offense isn't as good as Wake's (when both are working... like Wake last week) and our D is solid. I think it'll be a close game, but it's a favorable matchup for us.

davekay1971
11-03-2008, 10:13 AM
Duke has played more consistently than State, and has a better balance on both sides of the football. State, however, has hung very tough with good teams (BC, FSU)...so they can play. In addition, they're coming off a bye week, so they may be coming in as healthy as they've been all season. Duke had better come in focused and ready.

It's a winnable game for us, and an important step toward two things that must be goals at this point, even if they weren't anticipated to be achievable at the beginning of the season: bowl eligibility, and a .500 or better record.

Our team has definitely made huge strides this season, and I think most of us are simply thrilled by the 4-4 record. But I hope the coaches are impressing on this team one fact that shows both how good they are, and how narrow the margin is between success and failure: one or two miscues less, and we could be 6-2 right now.

We know our guys will play hard. If they also play focused, mistake free football, we should be win this game.

devildeac
11-03-2008, 11:49 AM
Duke has played more consistently than State, and has a better balance on both sides of the football. State, however, has hung very tough with good teams (BC, FSU)...so they can play. In addition, they're coming off a bye week, so they may be coming in as healthy as they've been all season. Duke had better come in focused and ready.

It's a winnable game for us, and an important step toward two things that must be goals at this point, even if they weren't anticipated to be achievable at the beginning of the season: bowl eligibility, and a .500 or better record.

Our team has definitely made huge strides this season, and I think most of us are simply thrilled by the 4-4 record. But I hope the coaches are impressing on this team one fact that shows both how good they are, and how narrow the margin is between success and failure: one or two miscues less, and we could be 6-2 right now.

We know our guys will play hard. If they also play focused, mistake free football, we should be win this game.

Heck we don't even need to play mistake-free FB. If we can eliminate 1-2 major mistakes this game, we should wind up with a W. If we make 1 less big mistake in the N'western game (holding) and correct/avoid 1 against WFU (pick one-better KO coverage or the missed FG), we are bowl-eligible with a guaranteed .500 record for the year (WHAT? At Duke?). Shoulda/woulda/coulda but oh-so tantalizingly but frustratingly close.

loran16
11-03-2008, 12:03 PM
Heck we don't even need to play mistake-free FB. If we can eliminate 1-2 major mistakes this game, we should wind up with a W. If we make 1 less big mistake in the N'western game (holding) and correct/avoid 1 against WFU (pick one-better KO coverage or the missed FG), we are bowl-eligible with a guaranteed .500 record for the year (WHAT? At Duke?). Shoulda/woulda/coulda but oh-so tantalizingly but frustratingly close.

Sorry, little pet peeve here, holding was NOT a mistake in the NU game. Thad is getting sacked on that play, not throwing a touchdown if Cameron Goldberg doesn't hold the player. That was not a mistake.

Now there were plenty of mistakes in that game (Some awful special teams work until the last return by Leon Wright salvaged it mostly) but saying Holding was the big game changing mistake is wrong.

In other news, we have to have this game.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-03-2008, 12:13 PM
With the changes brewing in Knoxville, it's all the more important to show up Saturday and later on November 29 to support our team and the changes Coach Cutcliffe's is bringing to the program.

GO DUKE! Beat State!

devildeac
11-03-2008, 12:47 PM
Sorry, little pet peeve here, holding was NOT a mistake in the NU game. Thad is getting sacked on that play, not throwing a touchdown if Cameron Goldberg doesn't hold the player. That was not a mistake.

Now there were plenty of mistakes in that game (Some awful special teams work until the last return by Leon Wright salvaged it mostly) but saying Holding was the big game changing mistake is wrong.

In other news, we have to have this game.

Sorry, holding is a mistake/penalty and it occurred on a TD throw that is the go ahead score with about 90 seconds left in the game, so it does change the game dramatically. Thad still has the option of taking the sack or throwing it away and saving 10+ yards also. You can also select the snap over the punters head leading to a N'western TD earlier in the game or their 50 yard pass completion when we had them 3rd and long at about their 20 that also led to another N'western TD as big mistakes. The one near the end of the game was a glaring one however.

gep
11-03-2008, 01:19 PM
Sorry, holding is a mistake/penalty and it occurred on a TD throw that is the go ahead score with about 90 seconds left in the game, so it does change the game dramatically. Thad still has the option of taking the sack or throwing it away and saving 10+ yards also.

Please let me know, but I thought that play with the holding and TD throw was 4th down... so no more chances, and holding was the only option:confused:

loran16
11-03-2008, 01:51 PM
Sorry, holding is a mistake/penalty and it occurred on a TD throw that is the go ahead score with about 90 seconds left in the game, so it does change the game dramatically. Thad still has the option of taking the sack or throwing it away and saving 10+ yards also. You can also select the snap over the punters head leading to a N'western TD earlier in the game or their 50 yard pass completion when we had them 3rd and long at about their 20 that also led to another N'western TD as big mistakes. The one near the end of the game was a glaring one however.

Errr, 90 seconds? It was FOURTH DOWN! Did you watch the game? If Goldberg doesn't commit holding, Thad is screwed. Seriously.

But yes, the snap over the punter's head works well.

devildeac
11-03-2008, 02:34 PM
Please let me know, but I thought that play with the holding and TD throw was 4th down... so no more chances, and holding was the only option:confused:

Nope. Can't remember whether it was down 1, 2 or 3 but we started that 4 down sequence on about the 19 yard line and the penalty backed us up to about the 33 yard line. I am almost certain we had 4th and about 25 for the 1st down and the 4th down pass was thrown over the receivers head/hands on the sidelines and N'western took over on downs with about a minute to go.
There was also an underthrown pass and perhaps a pass thrown behind a receiver in that sequence, too. I don't think either of those would have been TD passes but probably would have gained 5-10 yards with either one.

loran16
11-03-2008, 02:54 PM
Nope. Can't remember whether it was down 1, 2 or 3 but we started that 4 down sequence on about the 19 yard line and the penalty backed us up to about the 33 yard line. I am almost certain we had 4th and about 25 for the 1st down and the 4th down pass was thrown over the receivers head/hands on the sidelines and N'western took over on downs with about a minute to go.
There was also an underthrown pass and perhaps a pass thrown behind a receiver in that sequence, too. I don't think either of those would have been TD passes but probably would have gained 5-10 yards with either one.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/playbyplay?gameId=282500150&period=4

It was on 4th down. But we're getting off track here. The point was while one mistake may have cost us the game, lets stop blaming the holding penalty.

Anyhow, Duke should beat NC State, but it should be an interesting game. They haven't really rolled over offensively iirc this year, making it tougher than it looks.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-03-2008, 03:21 PM

It was on 4th down. But we're getting off track here. The point was while one mistake may have cost us the game, lets stop blaming the holding penalty.

Anyhow, Duke should beat NC State, but it should be an interesting game. They haven't really rolled over offensively iirc this year, making it tougher than it looks.

Anybody who's followed Duke football for years will tell you the records and trends during the season go out the window when Duke and State play. I expect that it will not only look tough, but the game will be tough.

Everyone got your tickets for Saturday? Coach Cutcliffe has issued a call to fill the stadium with Duke fans in a major blue out.

Will you be there, loran16?

devildeac
11-03-2008, 04:01 PM

Thanks for the link. Could not find it on goduke. I used that as an example of a mistake, that if avoided, makes a difference in the W or L. You can select one of several in that game, but the later in the game, the more likely it is "game-changing." You can also select one or several in the WFU game that are "game-changing" also and discuss it/them extensively. Ultimately, it's the missed FG, but one less TO, or one more made tackle on a KO return can be used as difference-makers in the result, too. My point was that if we can avoid one (or more) of the several major mistakes we made against WFU, then I really like our chances against state.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-03-2008, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the link. Could not find it on goduke. I used that as an example of a mistake, that if avoided, makes a difference in the W or L. You can select one of several in that game, but the later in the game, the more likely it is "game-changing." You can also select one or several in the WFU game that are "game-changing" also and discuss it/them extensively. Ultimately, it's the missed FG, but one less TO, or one more made tackle on a KO return can be used as difference-makers in the result, too. My point was that if we can avoid one (or more) of the several major mistakes we made against WFU, then I really like our chances against state.

This is NC State we're talking about! Our guys will come prepared to play and play well. We've got a superb coaching staff who will definitely have a good game plan in hand with the practices to back it.

I expect this Duke team to have a break out game sometime in November.

jimsumner
11-03-2008, 06:20 PM
I believe the hold v. NW was on third down. The penalty was obvious, the flag was down long before Thad made the pass, and nobody actually thought the score would holdup. But the hold was behind Thad, so I'm not sure if he knew the flag had been thrown.

The big mistake was the play before the hold. Johnny Williams was wide open for an easy TD. Lewis was scrambling, didn't follow through on his throw and it sailed on him.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda.

DU82
11-03-2008, 06:30 PM
I believe the hold v. NW was on third down. The penalty was obvious, the flag was down long before Thad made the pass, and nobody actually thought the score would holdup. But the hold was behind Thad, so I'm not sure if he knew the flag had been thrown.

The big mistake was the play before the hold. Johnny Williams was wide open for an easy TD. Lewis was scrambling, didn't follow through on his throw and it sailed on him.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda.

http://www.bigtennetwork.com/news/article.asp?story_id=3030538

The final one came on fourth-and-5 from Northwestern's 24 with about 90 seconds remaining. Thaddeus Lewis scrambled around the pocket before finding Clifford Harris open for what appeared to be the winning touchdown. But tackle Cameron Goldberg was called for holding to bring it back, and Lewis' desperation pass intended for Johnny Williams fell incomplete on the next play.

(Posted in order to defend Goldberg. If he didn't hold, Lewis is sacked, game over. Goldberg gave us a chance.)

Acymetric
11-07-2008, 10:58 AM
Looking at the ACC blog on ESPN I thought it was interesting that Clifford Harris (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/acc/0-3-56/What-to-watch-in-the-ACC--Week-11.html) was on the list of things to watch for this week. Mentioned him playing both fullback and running back. I noticed on the injury report that Tielor wasn't listed on the injury report, which is great news.

Looking forward to seeing our Devils this week, I expect a high level of intensity after the tough loss to Wake last Saturday, anyone who isn't already planning to come, get your hands on some tickets and keep them away from those guys in red! Get pumped!

watzone
11-07-2008, 11:44 AM
Here is an article intended to get you up for tomorrows game -
http://bluedevilnation.net/?p=1261

Defenserules
11-07-2008, 02:04 PM
I don't think the Duke v. NW game was televised, so its hard to know if it was a holding or not from the stands. One thing I do know is the following week against Navy (I think) the ESPNU crew stated that Duke should have been 2-0 because the holding call was "highly questionable". I haven't seen it except from the stands, but I trust that the announcers were privy to the game film to prepare and there opinion means a lot more than people who saw it from the stands (IMO). So let's give Goldberg a break and assume the zebra blew what should have been an awesome pick up by our tackle.

CameronBornAndBred
11-07-2008, 02:13 PM
Looking forward to tomorrow, the game should be great, the crowd should be intense, and even more so should be packed to the brim and wearing blue! Last week's game was one of the best I've ever seen in person, even though we fell short. We played an incredibly complete game of football. If we take care of special team's mistakes even by half, tomorrow we should all be able to go home smiling. GO DUKE BEAT STATE!!

killerleft
11-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Great article, watzone!

Duke fans:

Even if you hear the game is a sellout, come on down to see the Devils! There are always some tickets for sale (most at prices less than what's printed on the ticket) from people outside historic Wallace Wade Stadium.

And a win over the Wolfpack would clearly put us in a realistic hunt for a bowl game!

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-07-2008, 04:31 PM
You've captured the journey so far, watzone! Can't wait for tomorrow!!!

GO DUKE!!! Beat State!

RelativeWays
11-07-2008, 09:58 PM
I don't care about Northwestern and I don't care about Wake. Those games can't be helped. I care about State and watching Duke beat the crap out of them. I will be at WW tomorrow!

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-07-2008, 11:20 PM
Can Duke beat State? YES, WE CAN!!!

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-08-2008, 08:29 AM
Today is the day! After a five year hiatus, we renew our storied football rivalry with NC State. I hope many of you reading this are planning to be at the Devil Walk and later in Wallace Wade this afternoon. We want to pack the stadium with Duke fans and make the deepest blue out of the season.

Rip 'em up! Tear 'em up!
GO DUKE! Beat State!

captmojo
11-08-2008, 08:49 AM
Here is an article intended to get you up for tomorrows game -
http://bluedevilnation.net/?p=1261

A very fine rally cry. Thank you for sharing it here. I wish circumstances were different in that I could attend. I will listen fervently however.

wolfpackdevil
11-08-2008, 08:51 AM
Cannot wait to head out to Wallace-Wade later today.

Should be an amazing game, with tons of high emotions.

Duke will have to come back from behind, and they will.

With great play from Jackson, Hollingsworth, and Harris, Duke wins.

Duke 31
NC State 23

Bob Green
11-08-2008, 03:28 PM
Anybody have a radio link to share? I'm currently listening to Crosby, Stills, & Nash at WZKY. I love CSN but I want to listen to the football game.

Bob

pheavner
11-08-2008, 03:34 PM
http://www.oldies1061.com/

Click Listen Live on the site.

Bob Green
11-08-2008, 03:39 PM
http://www.oldies1061.com/

Click Listen Live on the site.

Thanks for the link. I'm listening to the game now. :)

camcraz25
11-08-2008, 03:42 PM
Anyone else having problems with ESPN360 being on the Tennessee game instead of Duke/NCSU??

Indoor66
11-08-2008, 03:43 PM
Very, very few attendees at Snrub.

JasonEvans
11-08-2008, 03:54 PM
State leading 3-0, we had a 2nd and 15 that we completed for 8 yards but State was offsides.

So, would you rather have 3rd and 7 or 2nd and 10? Cut chose 3rd and 7 and I thought he was crazy but we converted on a pass to Eron so I guess it was the right call. Still, not what you would normally expect.

--Jason "driving inside the State 20 right now" Evans

JasonEvans
11-08-2008, 03:57 PM
Drive stalled. We kick a FG so it is 3-3 in the 1st.

-J

Bob Green
11-08-2008, 04:12 PM
I just lost the radio link is anyone else having trouble?

JasonEvans
11-08-2008, 04:13 PM
After the FG, State returned the kickoff for a TD. Special teams are really killing us lately.

-J

zingit
11-08-2008, 04:16 PM

Yup. Didn't work when I just tried it. The Snrubchat link in another thread got me to some page in Russian, too. Now I'm monitoring the score on ESPN's gamecast while I try to get some work done.

PSurprise
11-08-2008, 04:19 PM
Yep, Snrub is in Russian, and my espngamecast is stuck on Lewis' pass to Brett Huffman on the first drive. Hmm.

captmojo
11-08-2008, 04:20 PM

Yes. I'm trying others now.

zingit
11-08-2008, 04:34 PM
Now I'm watching it on ESPN360 (http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/espn360/index?id=283130150#). It was surprisingly easy to download and watch, and the quality is very good. So much for getting work done though.

-bdbd
11-08-2008, 04:43 PM
Ack!
Where the heck has the defense gone???

They certainly haven't shown up for this game? For a Offense averaging only 19 pts PER GAME, State is walking all over us! Have we stopped hem yet?

Geez!

C'mon Duke! Score one before half...

BDBD

Lavabe
11-08-2008, 04:49 PM
Yup. Didn't work when I just tried it. The Snrubchat link in another thread got me to some page in Russian, too. Now I'm monitoring the score on ESPN's gamecast while I try to get some work done.

After getting the Russian alien face page, I got into Snrub by using the link posted in the sticky.

Cheers,
Lavabe

AtlBluRew
11-08-2008, 04:56 PM
I made it into snrub using the link in the Sticky too. Now to find a working internet radio site. Don't know how a station can carry just some of the games, and sometimes music instead. How do you build an audience that way?

captmojo
11-08-2008, 05:17 PM
No luck. :( The radio network owns the streaming rights. Sometimes the various stations forget to block.

Cameron
11-08-2008, 05:21 PM
http://www.wsfl.com/

The Duke-NC State game can be found there, with Bob Harris' voice guiding you further into fall's embrace as basketball season nears:)

AtlBluRew
11-08-2008, 05:21 PM
This is working:

http://www.surf983.com/pages/1837894.php

AtlBluRew
11-08-2008, 05:32 PM
The link I found is a good 4 minutes or so behind real time. Cameron's is timely.

-bdbd
11-08-2008, 06:49 PM
Well, :mad:

...that was about as discouraging a game as we've had in quite a while. I'd argue our worst performance of the season. Just couldn't do anything right at critical times or on big plays.... I think we were like 0-4 on 4th down plays. The first and goal at the two and getting ZERO (!) out of the possession was a backbreaker.
I was listening on-line to Bob Harris and Duke radio, so I'd be interested from those watching on ESPN 360 or at the game, what was it that caused us not to be able to anything right in the red zone? Also, Harris abd crew kept harping about late flags coming in from the ref in front of the NCSU bench....just couldn't BUY a break tonight!

Back to the drawing board. 'hope they can bounce back next week and not be too discouraged.

Certainly the Coach Cut recruiting efforts will start bringing our talent levels/speed/size much closer to parity starting next year. Oh-hum.

-BDBD :mad:

allenmurray
11-08-2008, 07:58 PM
Despite Cutcliff's post-game remarks, I thought the team looked uninspired. At one point I turned to the person sitting next to me and we both said, at the same tiem, "they don't look like they want to be here". They looked as though they were still hungover from last week's loss. The play calling was uninspiring as well, very predictable. How many times do you run straight up the middle on first and ten or second and ten, only to pick up NO yards, before you decide you're not fooling anyone with your offensive set and try something different instead.

arnie
11-08-2008, 08:02 PM

...that was about as discouraging a game as we've had in quite a while. I'd argue our worst performance of the season. Just couldn't do anything right at critical times or on big plays.... I think we were like 0-4 on 4th down plays. The first and goal at the two and getting ZERO (!) out of the possession was a backbreaker.
I was listening on-line to Bob Harris and Duke radio, so I'd be interested from those watching on ESPN 360 or at the game, what was it that caused us not to be able to anything right in the red zone? Also, Harris abd crew kept harping about late flags coming in from the ref in front of the NCSU bench....just couldn't BUY a break tonight!

Back to the drawing board. 'hope they can bounce back next week and not be too discouraged.

Certainly the Coach Cut recruiting efforts will start bringing our talent levels/speed/size much closer to parity starting next year. Oh-hum.

I just got back from the game - discouraging it a nice way to phrase my reaction also. It's not the coaching, it's not the effort, it's simply many of our players in key positions just don't have ACC caliber ability. The secondary is not a fast as it needs to be and they are small. Many of State's pass completions were simply thrown up for grabs, and they grabbed them.

We also threw a lot of short passes on 3rd (and once 4th) and long with no chance of making a 1st down. Don't know if that's Thad's decision making or simply no receivers close to being open.

We have a long way to go before we're competitive in the conference - hopefully Cutcliffe's recruits will improve our position in a couple of years. It does make me wonder how the Roof recruits were rated as high as they were.

RelativeWays
11-08-2008, 08:04 PM
I was at the game. We lost for two reasons. 1. State receives made spectacular catches. Seems like any time Wilson was chased out of the pocket, he could just heave the ball in the air and more often than not, a state player would come down with it, regardless of how many Duke players were on him. 2, the main reason we lost was due to horrible horrible horrible play calling. Coach Cutcliffe may be an offensive genious, but he was not one today. We were inside the 15 or less 3 times!!!!! and came away with ONLY 3 points. When Eron was tackled at the 2 and we couldn't score in the 3rd quarter, that sealed the deal and people started heading towards the exists. We held State to only a 3 field goal in the 2nd half but at that point they didn't need to score any more.
Even though there are 3 more games in the season, football is for all intents and purposes over. I do not see this Duke team beating either VT or Clemson on the road and I shudder to think about what the final score for the UNC game might be. This is not me being a pessimist, this is the most realistic and likely outcome. We will finish 4-8 and we stand a chance of losing these last three games pretty badly. If the WF game killed are chances of bowl eligibility (and it turns out it did) then this game killed the football teams chance of staying relevant now that basketball season officially starts monday. On the plus side, the guys have absolutely nothing to lose at this point so they may as well lay it on the line next Saturday. With a little luck and perhaps a campus wide case of a mono outbreak at Clemson, we might win.

GrantIsMyHero
11-08-2008, 08:49 PM
I was at the game too and agree with all that's been said. That 3rd quarter goal line stand by NCSU just broke us. Overall, though I am still proud of how the team has improved this year. Coach Cut will continue to pull in better and better skill position recruits and we won't get burnt in the secondary as much. I am REALLY ready for Monday though! Bring on Presbyterian!

DownEastDevil
11-08-2008, 09:59 PM
First of all let me say that I love the Blue Devils and have for 45 years, but todays game just totally frustrated me. During my 1.5 hour ride home I thought of everything that has gone wrong. To drive the ball up and down that field and only come away with 17 points is rediculous. I realize Thad has been a work in progress for coach Cut but after 9 games I would expect him to start hitting some of those clutch plays. How many games have we seen him either over throw or under throw wide open recievers. How many times today did we have a 3rd or 4th and 8 and he throws it only 5 yards. Those may not be all his fault but we should have some routes that are designed for at least 10 yards. Have we been able to complete 1 long pass this year? I also have never seen corners that never turn to look for the ball, some of those that Wilson threw up for grabs should have been intercepted. I know a lot of people are happy with our 4 wins but I'm not. We should have never lost to Wake and there is no way that State team should have beat us. With all that said I still love the Devils and will pull for them to the very end.

devildeac
11-08-2008, 11:16 PM

Twice we had 1st and goal inside the 10 and got 0 points from those possessions. Runs up the middle on 1st down did not help as others have mentioned. 3 runs up the middle on 1st and goal at the 2 did not help. The 4th down pass was thrown at Huffman's (or was it Kelly's?) shoelaces. He was open. We then tipped a pass after they got the ball on downs and dropped it as our player dove and hit the ground on the very next play. Tough not to come with a TD on either of those plays.

wolfpackdevil
11-08-2008, 11:24 PM
I think that coach cut needs to realize that.

WE CANT RUN THE BALL UP THE MIDDLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

too bad nobody except myself noticed that for the entire ball game

6th Man
11-08-2008, 11:30 PM
To me it is very evident we can play good teams that don't have great athletes. Put us against a mediocre team with great athletes and we can't do anything. That QB ate us alive. The secondary didn't come up with any plays and they had many opportunities. State deserved to win. Is our secondary short as well as slow??? How many jump balls did State's receivers pull down over Duke defenders. We are too slow. Granted State's QB seems to be a great player we could never chase him down. Couldn't run the guy down on the reverse punt return.

Sorry to rant, Cut has done great with what we have, but he better focus on recruiting SPEED!!

The guys didn't want it as bad as State and that is discouarging. Duke wanted it against Wake Forest and lost and I can live with that. But the State game showed no heart or desire from our players. You gotta want to make a play more than your opponent.

devildeac
11-08-2008, 11:34 PM
I was at the game. We lost for two reasons. 1. State receives made spectacular catches. Seems like any time Wilson was chased out of the pocket, he could just heave the ball in the air and more often than not, a state player would come down with it, regardless of how many Duke players were on him. 2, the main reason we lost was due to horrible horrible horrible play calling. Coach Cutcliffe may be an offensive genious, but he was not one today. We were inside the 15 or less 3 times!!!!! and came away with ONLY 3 points. When Eron was tackled at the 2 and we couldn't score in the 3rd quarter, that sealed the deal and people started heading towards the exists. We held State to only a 3 field goal in the 2nd half but at that point they didn't need to score any more.
Even though there are 3 more games in the season, football is for all intents and purposes over. I do not see this Duke team beating either VT or Clemson on the road and I shudder to think about what the final score for the UNC game might be. This is not me being a pessimist, this is the most realistic and likely outcome. We will finish 4-8 and we stand a chance of losing these last three games pretty badly. If the WF game killed are chances of bowl eligibility (and it turns out it did) then this game killed the football teams chance of staying relevant now that basketball season officially starts monday. On the plus side, the guys have absolutely nothing to lose at this point so they may as well lay it on the line next Saturday. With a little luck and perhaps a campus wide case of a mono outbreak at Clemson, we might win.

I would not say the play calling was horrible but would say debatable or questionable, especially in the two 1st and goals we had. Execution was off also as we ran routes that appeared to be 2-3 yards short of the 1st down on several 3rd and 4th down situations. Tackling also was deficient on multiple occasions also. Special teams were reasonable, except for the 90 yard KO return. I don't recall a TO, either, so we improved there. State made SO many long plays (10-15 yards+) because of some of the above and our secondary shortcomings (pun partially intended). Our almost complete lack of ability to stop them (I estimated they gained about 225 yards or more in the 1st half-haven't checked the stats yet) and our inability to finish/convert important 3rd and/or 4th down really were damaging. A very frustrating game to watch. I thought if we had scored early in the 2nd half after holding them on their 1st possession in the 3Q, it might make for a wild game and a turn around for us but we simply did not convert.

devildeac
11-08-2008, 11:38 PM
I think that coach cut needs to realize that.

WE CANT RUN THE BALL UP THE MIDDLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

too bad nobody except myself noticed that for the entire ball game

Not true. Most of the folks I was sitting with noticed it also;). The problem is none of us in section 19 or 25 (or wherever you were sitting) were allowed to call any plays today:(. (tongue in cheek here folks)

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-08-2008, 11:43 PM
One point that I don't think anyone's mentioned so far: State executed precisely and well throughout the game. This game may be their best game of the season.

CameronBornAndBred
11-08-2008, 11:44 PM
I'm assuming our entire defensive squad had the flu today.

6th Man
11-08-2008, 11:54 PM
I honestly think this is the worst secondary in the school's history. I hope this can be fixed by recruiting faster and taller guys to play back there. I don't know how many times a WR from the other team has snagged the ball out of the air when we could make a play. Or how many times we never look back to see the ball sailing past our helmets. Amazing to watch.

kinghoops
11-09-2008, 12:09 AM
One point that I don't think anyone's mentioned so far: State executed precisely and well throughout the game. This game may be their best game of the season.

was it state that executed on offense, or was it more of nonexecution on the part of the duke defense?

devildeac
11-09-2008, 12:16 AM
was it state that executed on offense, or was it more of nonexecution on the part of the duke defense?

I think a combination of the two. State made some really nice runs and catches but we should have tipped or intercepted at least one or two of those catches their WR made over/under/around and through our DB.

devildeac
11-09-2008, 12:18 AM
I honestly think this is the worst secondary in the school's history. I hope this can be fixed by recruiting faster and taller guys to play back there. I don't know how many times a WR from the other team has snagged the ball out of the air when we could make a play. Or how many times we never look back to see the ball sailing past our helmets. Amazing to watch.

I think jimsumner or OZZIE (after a Blue Devil luncheon) mentioned quite a few weeks ago that the DB recruiting class was a particularly good one, especially WRT speed.

kinghoops
11-09-2008, 02:17 AM
what was the attendence?

RelativeWays
11-09-2008, 07:56 AM
It should also be mentioned that we couldn't get a pass rush on Wilson much at all. I think we sacked him once but for the most part, he had all day to throw.

wolfpackdevil
11-09-2008, 08:38 AM
Not true. Most of the folks I was sitting with noticed it also;). The problem is none of us in section 19 or 25 (or wherever you were sitting) were allowed to call any plays today:(. (tongue in cheek here folks)

haha.
I did think the play calling was horrible. I dont think that we had more than 2 or 3 runs (by a RB0) for more than 5 yards.

We had great success passing the ball across the middle in the first half, they should have kept doing that.

And on the 4 and out inside the 3 yard line.
Duke should have tried 1 or 2 screen passes, they waited till 4th down to do it, and it failed.

I was not pleased with the energy level, intenseness, or care of the game by coach cut. he never once tried to spark up the team, he just walked up and down the sidelines by himself, while we were running for 1 or 2 yards every play

Constantstrain 81
11-09-2008, 09:31 AM
I was at the game, which we could have won by double digits.

The NC State QB, in my opinion, wasn't some radar-guided genius. He just three the ball into coverage (in some cases double coverage). For some reason, our secondary (even if they had the receiver covered) had no idea where the ball was. State scored two different touchdowns on plays like that. Kudos to the receiver for finding a way to make those plays. If the secondary had played like they have been playing, 5-6 of those 13 completions are incomplete and the NC State offense is it's usually anemic self.

That coupled with us making five trips inside the 20 (3 inside the ten) and getting only 3 points out of them. Frustrating. And yes, it does seem we could have called something a little different.

Dang.

Devilsfan
11-09-2008, 09:31 AM
Remember the old adage, SPEED KILLS. Today we got killed. All I want for Christmas is four TALL fast strong d backs. The good news coming out of todays game is that I believe it helped keep our coach in Durham. I think he's a great coach that hasn't been around the type of team that can't punch the ball in from the two yard line in seven attempts and can't catch up to ball carriers in the open field. That will change, imo. I guess I'm getting spoiled, I keep forgetting that it's been years since we won 4 games in one season.

formerdukeathlete
11-09-2008, 09:57 AM
To me it is very evident we can play good teams that don't have great athletes. Put us against a mediocre team with great athletes and we can't do anything. That QB ate us alive. The secondary didn't come up with any plays and they had many opportunities. State deserved to win. Is our secondary short as well as slow??? How many jump balls did State's receivers pull down over Duke defenders. We are too slow. Granted State's QB seems to be a great player we could never chase him down. Couldn't run the guy down on the reverse punt return.

Sorry to rant, Cut has done great with what we have, but he better focus on recruiting SPEED!!

The guys didn't want it as bad as State and that is discouarging. Duke wanted it against Wake Forest and lost and I can live with that. But the State game showed no heart or desire from our players. You gotta want to make a play more than your opponent.

the problem with our CB's getting beaten IS NOT a lack of speed, but rather it is a lack of height. Our CB's were often (most often) right in position against the tall receivers of State and Miami. State and Miami QBs just lobbed the passes out of reach of our defenders. Look at the 09 class - plenty of speed at CB - about 10 players - but, they are almost all short, too short to defend tall receivers if a QB can get the ball where it needs to be. This is in fact due to a fixation with recruiting speed. We wont be outrun by receivers, we will be outreached. So, what is the solution? With everthing there is a trade-off. We should get it after getting burned time and again by taller receivers. 09 is basically done. The coaches will have to focus on size at the corner in the 10 incoming class.

CameronBornAndBred
11-09-2008, 10:13 AM
It should also be mentioned that we couldn't get a pass rush on Wilson much at all. I think we sacked him once but for the most part, he had all day to throw.

I disagree. I remember more than a couple times jumping out of my seat because I was positive he was sacked, only to see him escape tackles and somehow not only get a pass off, but connect on it. Our tackling on the whole was horrible, maybe we greased our gloves.

RelativeWays
11-09-2008, 10:14 AM
I'm actually more worried about our offensive and defensive lines for next year. Our small but fast corners may not be able to out jump the receivers but they may be able to blast the receiver as he's making the catch and knock the ball loose. Our secondary didn't do that either yesterday, and sometimes that's the most effective way to break up a play. Our o line has 3 seniors and our D line couldn't get any pressure on the State's offense. These are things we need to improve on next year.
I also hope we have a stud or two for RBs. Boyette is decent and its nice that he'll be back next year but I think he can only go so far. Its obvious that Cut wants to establish a solid run attack for his offense to work, we need guys who can do that consistently and we need an O line that can open some holes.

RelativeWays
11-09-2008, 10:17 AM
I disagree. I remember more than a couple times jumping out of my seat because I was positive he was sacked, only to see him escape tackles and somehow not only get a pass off, but connect on it. Our tackling on the whole was horrible, maybe we greased our gloves.

It took a long time for any of our D-line to chase him out of the pocket and a few times he scrambled into trouble on his own. We did not pressure him at all to make bad decisions.

billy
11-09-2008, 10:30 AM
what was the attendence?

The stadium was more full than I can remember it - of course, it seemed about 1/3 full with red shirts. There were seats at the apex of the "U" by Cameron, and at the extreme ends of the stadium, but was otherwise pretty packed. Was a better turnout than the Lenoir-Rhyne bball game...

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-09-2008, 10:42 AM
what was the attendence?
31,964 (See goduke.com)

godukecom
11-09-2008, 12:17 PM
I have a newfound distaste for NCSU fans...
Some of the things that were said to us and around us were despicable.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-09-2008, 12:35 PM
I have a newfound distaste for NCSU fans...
Some of the things that were said to us and around us were despicable.

It's been five years since we've played State in football. It's easy to forget what used to happen in the stands or parking lots during previous games.

Some of my family members are Carolina grads. They took their daughter's family, including two little boys, to a UNC - State game in Chapel Hill a few years ago. At one point, a State fan grabbed the oldest little boy (age 7) from his grandmother's lap and passed him along over the heads of other State fans seated there. Needless to say, the child was frightened as were his folks.

This season I sit in a section on the home side of Wallace Wade, mostly filled with Duke folk. At yesterday's game there were pockets of State fans within a row or so. One State fan (young adult male) took particular pleasure in taunting an older Duke fan nearby. In contrast, there was a State fan seated behind me; he'd come with a Duke fan (season's ticket holder). He behaved well and was pleasant to talk to. It became clear that Duke and State fans may share at least one thing in common: GTHC. Bottom line: some State fans can be really nice people, but when they are obnoxious, they can be very offensive.

devilirium
11-09-2008, 12:40 PM
^ you can pretty much say that about us, as well....although I get your point (and Duke doesn't have the numbers)...obviously, you see it happen in hoops moreso.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-09-2008, 01:18 PM
There are some positive observations about the Duke - State game.

Attendance was 31,964. Considering that there was not a theme to help fill the stadium (youth day, band day, employee day, homecoming, etc.), this is another big step forward. We need to establish high numbers regularly in attendance to move the program up to a priority for improvements. The current average per game is 28,462.

The amount of red in stadium was far less than in previous years and the proportion of royal blue continues to be higher than previous seasons. It appeared that more Duke fans bought tickets than did State fans.

As you read the football posts, I'm just wondering..... do you have your ticket for the Carolina game?

CameronBornAndBred
11-09-2008, 01:25 PM
As you read the football posts, I'm just wondering..... do you have your ticket for the Carolina game?

If not, get 'em now. The crowd was great yesterday, and obviously our own fans were less than enthused after a while, but while we outnumbered the wolfies, it was disturbing to hear them chant their "wolf" - "pack" pretty clearly across the stadium. I don't want to hear ANY pro Carolina chants at Wade on the 29th.

Acymetric
11-09-2008, 01:26 PM
There are some positive observations about the Duke - State game.

Attendance was 31,964. Considering that there was not a theme to help fill the stadium (youth day, band day, employee day, homecoming, etc.), this is another big step forward. We need to establish high numbers regularly in attendance to move the program up to a priority for improvements. The current average per game is 28,462.

The amount of red in stadium was far less than in previous years and the proportion of royal blue continues to be higher than previous seasons. It appeared that more Duke fans bought tickets than did State fans.

The problem with praising attendance is that you really have to thank our friends in red for that. If no State fans had shown up I would guess the attendance might have been closer to 25,000. I may be way off there, but there were an awful lot of State fans, and I'd say that whether there were more of them or not they were certainly louder.

As for your last question, I've got the tickets and I can't wait! GTHCGTH!

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-09-2008, 02:06 PM
The problem with praising attendance is that you really have to thank our friends in red for that. If no State fans had shown up I would guess the attendance might have been closer to 25,000. I may be way off there, but there were an awful lot of State fans, and I'd say that whether there were more of them or not they were certainly louder.

As for your last question, I've got the tickets and I can't wait! GTHCGTH!
We Duke fans need to improve our football cheers. Our traditions in this area have dropped off the radar. One reason schools like State,Carolina, and I'd throw in LSU for an example outside the ACC, are so effective with their cheers (besides having lots of fans) is that they have cheers everyone knows because the cheers are part of their football traditions.

Sure, there were lots of State fans at the game, but not in numbers like there used to be at these games! I can remember when it looked like 3/4 of the stadium was filled with red like it was a home game for State. Even 25K Duke fans is an improvement on the timeline we're creating as the program improves.

6th Man
11-09-2008, 03:23 PM
We Duke fans need to improve our football cheers. Our traditions in this area have dropped off the radar. One reason schools like State,Carolina, and I'd throw in LSU for an example outside the ACC, are so effective with their cheers (besides having lots of fans) is that they have cheers everyone knows because the cheers are part of their football traditions.

Sure, there were lots of State fans at the game, but not in numbers like there used to be at these games! I can remember when it looked like 3/4 of the stadium was filled with red like it was a home game for State. Even 25K Duke fans is an improvement on the timeline we're creating as the program improves.

I agree we need some cheers that are standard and everyone knows. I wish we would drop the "We are Duke" thing. It is embarassing. They started the season trying to get one side to say "WE ARE" and the other side to say "DUKE". It never worked. So now they just focus on the Duke sidelines to say, "WE ARE DUKE". Not particularly catchy when you have one group chanting it. It's not loud and we copied it from "We are Marshall". Come on Duke. We can be more original than that.