PDA

View Full Version : Brandyn Curry

Franzez
10-31-2008, 04:14 PM
It's clear that Duke has limited options when it comes to recruiting a PG to succeed Greg Paulus without taking the risk of using Nolan Smith at PG for a season.

However I think this young man Brandyn Curry could very well become a solid PG option for us.

Brandyn is from Hendersonville and has committed to Harvard although hes ranked as the #27 PG in the country.

This beats wasting a scholarship on John Wall who plays too much of a flashy style of play to lead us anywhere,he fits better at Memphis and I wouldn't be surprised if thats where he ends up.

pfrduke
10-31-2008, 04:17 PM
It's clear that Duke has limited options when it comes to recruiting a PG to succeed Greg Paulus without taking the risk of using Nolan Smith at PG for a season.

However I think this young man Brandyn Curry could very well become a solid PG option for us.

Brandyn is from Hendersonville and has committed to Harvard although hes ranked as the #27 PG in the country.

This beats wasting a scholarship on John Wall who plays too much of a flashy style of play to lead us anywhere,he fits better at Memphis and I wouldn't be surprised if thats where he ends up.

That pesky commitment to Harvard may just get in the way, hmm?

MChambers
10-31-2008, 04:17 PM

You think Duke would try to take a player who has committed to play for Amaker? Not going to happen.

Franzez
10-31-2008, 04:19 PM
You think Duke would try to take a player who has committed to play for Amaker? Not going to happen.
-Sorry.

I thought Amaker was the HC at Hartford.

Jumbo
10-31-2008, 04:40 PM
And not to pile on, but what is the "risk of using Nolan Smith at PG for a season?" He's starting at point guard -- this season!

Huh?
10-31-2008, 05:15 PM
We have Tyler Thornton coming in, a true PG with solid athleticism.

jimsumner
10-31-2008, 07:16 PM
C'mon people. Surely, the risk of only having Nolan Smith, Jon Scheyer, and Elliott Williams to play point next year justifies poaching a player from another school.

Tweet! Tweet! 15 yards. Piling on.

Sorry. Couldn't help myself. It's the ghouls and goblins taking all my Milky Ways,

mgtr
10-31-2008, 09:18 PM
Or, instead of hosing Harvard, we could try to hijack Stephen Curry from Davidson. Maybe they wouldn't really care, and release him with no preconditions. That would help to solve some problems. Or, maybe we could plink our magic twanger froggie, and turn Zoubek into Dwight Howard. All problems solved. Any other majic needed right now? No? OK.

Houston
11-01-2008, 05:24 AM

Assuming Brandyn had not committed to Harvard, I do not think the 27th best point guard in the country could play at Duke. If coach is truly recruiting Wall, he is a good fit for the program. In K we trust.

jimsumner
11-01-2008, 10:54 AM
"Assuming Brandyn had not committed to Harvard, I do not think the 27th best point guard in the country could play at Duke"

Play at Duke? Probably
Play at Duke at a high level? Maybe, but more problematical.
Need for 27th-best PG? Minimal

Duke surveyed the PG landscape this year and determined that they could use a projected star like Boynton but had no need for a place-holder. After getting a committment from Tyler Thornton from the class of 2010, there simply was no need to bring in someone to play 5 mpg next year. There were a number of decent PGs in the '09 class who were interested in Duke but who Duke elected not to pursue.

So, the original thread was offensive in its implication that Mike Krzyzewski would be open to poaching a committed recruit from another school. But it also falsely assumed that Duke was frantically running around looking in desperation for someone, anyone, to play point guard for Duke next season. Simply not the case.

Faison1
11-01-2008, 11:19 AM
"Assuming Brandyn had not committed to Harvard, I do not think the 27th best point guard in the country could play at Duke"

Play at Duke? Probably
Play at Duke at a high level? Maybe, but more problematical.
Need for 27th-best PG? Minimal

Duke surveyed the PG landscape this year and determined that they could use a projected star like Boynton but had no need for a place-holder. After getting a committment from Tyler Thornton from the class of 2010, there simply was no need to bring in someone to play 5 mpg next year. There were a number of decent PGs in the '09 class who were interested in Duke but who Duke elected not to pursue.

So, the original thread was offensive in its implication that Mike Krzyzewski would be open to poaching a committed recruit from another school. But it also falsely assumed that Duke was frantically running around looking in desperation for someone, anyone, to play point guard for Duke next season. Simply not the case.

Additionally, at this time last year, everyone was sweating frontcourt players, and coming up with "why don't we go after this guy" mentality. I mean, C'MON!! This is getting ridiculous. We are border-line stacked at guard for the next couple of years, with a great pipeline of talent coming in. Surely there is something more important to worry about. I know I have voiced concern in the past, but it always seems to work out. Just like Jim has said, who would have thought we'd be fine after we missed on ALL of our "priority" 2009 recruits. But we are. Missing on Kenny is unfortunate, but hardly the end of the world.

Indoor66
11-01-2008, 11:28 AM
IMO, NO single player/recruite is so critical to the Duke program that his loss portends doom and gloom. That is rediculous. I really get frustrated at the angst expressed when we "miss" on one of these self-absorbed 18 year old athletes. The calls for watching the fall of Duke basketball over loss of one player are patently foolish.

shadowfax336
11-01-2008, 01:42 PM
I really get frustrated at the angst expressed when we "miss" on one of these self-absorbed 18 year old athletes.

No offense but I would say the ones who get frustrated because some 18 year old basketball players with many choices in front of them don't choose the option those particular fans would desire are the "self-absorbed" ones. Careful about disparaging a rather large category of people with generalizations like that.

alaskan assassin
11-03-2008, 08:31 AM
How many scholarships can a university give out?

sagegrouse
11-03-2008, 09:24 AM
IMO, NO I really get frustrated at the angst expressed when we "miss" on one of these self-absorbed 18 year old athletes.

These are elite athletes, who are trying to be the best basketball players on the planet. You were expecting Mother Teresa?

sagegrouse

Classof06
11-03-2008, 03:56 PM
And not to pile on, but what is the "risk of using Nolan Smith at PG for a season?" He's starting at point guard -- this season!

Haha, co-sign. I fail to see what's wrong with playing Nolan Smith at PG when that's his natural position. Where do you want him to play? On the block?

sagegrouse
11-03-2008, 06:39 PM
How many scholarships can a university give out?

My memory and a cursory Internet search produce a max number of 13 for b'ball.

sagegrouse