PDA

View Full Version : What's your gameday ritual?

SupaDave
10-31-2008, 01:31 PM
Alright, I'm trying to see if anyone is as much of a nut as I am. There's got to be just a few superstitious folks out there...

I have a very strict gameday ritual that involves the following:

1) I imitate Dickie V at least one time during the day to let my co-workers know what the night brings.
2) I make at least ONE 3-point shot into a basketball hoop
3) I wear the same Duke sweatshirt that I've had so long that I really don't know when I got it anymore - but not until gametime.
4) I read the scouting and injury reports right before gametime to know what and who to look for.
5) Eat dinner by gametime
6) Call all my Duke fan friends approx. 15 mins before Gametime to see if their watching.
8) Pop me some popcorn and turn every TV in the house to the game channel.
8) And then I stand for most of the game (b/c it's hard to sit down)
9) I'm even quiet during free throws (which some would tell you is close to unbelievable)
10) During commercial breaks - I call all my people and we discuss the game's pace and direction and then immediately hang-up once the game resumes.
11) After a great win I treat myself to some ice cream (after a loss it's time to go to bed). Oh yeah - after a loss to Carolina - I immediately turn my phone OFF.

Unless I'm out of town or I go to a bar I do this without fail - EVERY game day. I'm a homer (I ALWAYS pick Duke to win the NC in my brackets as well).

So what's your ritual?

uncwdevil
10-31-2008, 02:58 PM
My ritual for weekday games:

Get a little bit of work done in the morning.

Read game previews and other Duke basketball-related articles during lunch break.

Zone out and think about the game for the rest of the afternoon.

BlueintheFace
10-31-2008, 03:32 PM
These things develop for me over the course of the season as I determine what works and what doesn't... By the end of last season it was:

Left ankle over right, cellphone in right pocket on silent, very Old Jr. Blue Devil shirt on, Duke sweatpants, same place on couch, volume on level 38 (28 during commercials) No moving during live ball situations, hold breath for free throws and put hands up at shoulder level, watch the ball (not the whole screen) on threes, close games under 4 minutes means I get up and stand up in the doorway of the next room to watch, slap the table coming out of timeouts when we are on a run, ABSOLUTELY NO FEMALE FAMILY MEMBERS CAN WATCH (whenever one watches we lose... it's pure science. I swear) so I call each one to make sure they are watching something else. Under one minute in one possession games, throw all superstitions out and just pace in front of the TV pleading with the Basketball Gods to help us.

Who knows what kind of borderline psychotic ritual I will have developed by the end of this season. The really sad thing is that I blame myself for losses because I accidentally did some ritual incorrect or something... I need a doctor

sagegrouse
10-31-2008, 03:53 PM
1. I warn all skiing visitors that Duke is playing and that this is a Duke household. (Meaning: you don't have to root for Duke, but you can't root for the other team.)

2. I fire up the 60 inch HD set instead of the smaller jobs used for everyday events like presidential inaugurations and national election returns.

3. I sit lengthwise on the small sofa next to the wall, which is perpendicular to the TV.

4. I open a beer.

5. I yell at the TV, but I am a good sport. Therefore, I yell at the Duke players as much as at the opposing players and officials. "Move your feet, Zoubek!" "Lance, quit putting the ball on the floor!" "Threeee! Great shot, [Greg, Jon, etc.]!"

6. I sneer at family members that point out that we could DVR the game, then FF through the commercials, and still see the ending live. [Of course, I remember the first program I ever VCRed: Duke-GaTech, 20 years ago. I came home after a meeting and started the recording at 11PM. At 1230AM the tape ran out (SP) with one minute left in a one-point game.]

7. Then I go to bed and think pleasant thoughts about another Duke victory. In the Mountain Time zone, this is frequently about 10PM.

sagegrouse

TheRose77
10-31-2008, 04:49 PM
These things develop for me over the course of the season as I determine what works and what doesn't... By the end of last season it was:

Left ankle over right, cellphone in right pocket on silent, very Old Jr. Blue Devil shirt on, Duke sweatpants, same place on couch, volume on level 38 (28 during commercials) No moving during live ball situations, hold breath for free throws and put hands up at shoulder level, watch the ball (not the whole screen) on threes, close games under 4 minutes means I get up and stand up in the doorway of the next room to watch, slap the table coming out of timeouts when we are on a run, ABSOLUTELY NO FEMALE FAMILY MEMBERS CAN WATCH (whenever one watches we lose... it's pure science. I swear) so I call each one to make sure they are watching something else. Under one minute in one possession games, throw all superstitions out and just pace in front of the TV pleading with the Basketball Gods to help us.

Who knows what kind of borderline psychotic ritual I will have developed by the end of this season. The really sad thing is that I blame myself for losses because I accidentally did some ritual incorrect or something... I need a doctor
"Absolutely no female family members can watch"? I sure am glad I'm not related to you. Them's fightin words, buster.

BlueintheFace
10-31-2008, 05:13 PM
"Absolutely no female family members can watch"? I sure am glad I'm not related to you. Them's fightin words, buster.

It's not sexist... Actually when duke loses a big game, my sister will even accuse my mother of watching. I think the statistics for games she has watched in the last 5 years or so is like (2-13). Like i said... simple science.

camion
10-31-2008, 05:20 PM
I search for the game on TV and curse when it turns up on ESPNU.

Turk
10-31-2008, 05:46 PM
SupaDave, that's an astonishingly complex ritual that's tough to beat...

I am not superstitious, but I do have a top-secret role as an unpaid volunteer off-site coach. My specialty is helping Wojo with the big men on their post play. I've installed a microphone next to the TV and hooked it up to the broadband connection, so my verbal comments during the game are uploaded automatically.

I've got some Cisco guys working out the technical details on the download portion, from the Interwebs to the access point in Cameron, to connect to Coach K's bluetooth earpiece. We've found that it's too cumbersome for me (and him) to call or text during halftime or TV timeouts. (Plus, he keeps changing his number - Coach says he gets great deals to switch carriers and can't pass up the savings).

Unfortunately, that nasty little mixup about the restraining order keeps me from attending the games in person, but my counselor at the parole board says we should get that fixed pretty soon....

(Like I said, this is a secret, so don't spread it around.) :cool:

RainingThrees
11-01-2008, 08:32 AM
I can't stand during games or before they start. During the Belmont game I probably walked 2 miles in my living room. Then laughed like a mad man when we won.

beltwayBD
11-01-2008, 09:39 AM
My rituals:

1) Night before: make sure my DVR is set to record the game in case I get caught up at work or go out for dinner.

2) Read the DBR preview on the Metro in the morning (smart phone).

3) Read as many other previews as I can throughout the day.

4) Talk strategy with my Hoya neighbor (he'll root for Duke, and I'll root for G-town, unless we are playing against each other!).

5) Say something mean about Hansbrough's mother. Make a joke about Henderson busting his nose. :p

6) Purchase 6-pack of good beer on the way home from work.

7) Convince my wife that she can watch her shows either (a) on-line, or (b) on the small (13") TV in the bedroom. That way I can watch them on the new HD (37") in the living room. I am successful about 2/3 of the time.

8) Take practice shots with my small nerf Duke basketball hoop attached to a cabinet in the living room.

9) Get chills when I hear the ESPN pre-game music come on.

10) Let's go DUKE!!!! :cool:

Edouble
11-01-2008, 11:20 AM

This is the funniest thing I have read in a long time. I can appreciate the need to blame a loss on your own poor ritual performance. I've toned down my own game day rituals for this very reason: the more twisted and structured my ritual becomes, the more I feel somehow responsible for a poor outcome in the game.

My limited ritual consists of:

1) Standing throughout most of the game. I don't really have a "rule" about not sitting down, it just feels right from all the games as a student in Cameron, plus I'm usually too excited to sit.

2) Cheering and yelling, loudly.

3) A talisman.

I have this old basketball that, I think, is good luck. I'm somewhat active with the ball. I will grip it when we are playing a big defensive possession, and yell thinks like "One shot, then get the rebound," while simultaneously craddling the ball as I hope for the team to do after a missed shot. I'll usually take a deep breath and hold the ball at chest level during free throws. During a big run or an important offensive possession, I'll palm the ball and sort of slap it back and forth between my hands.

The ball acts as a sort of release for anxiety and excitement during the game. I started doing all this stuff about ten years ago, and so I was doing this with this particular ball when we won our last National Championship. Therefore, I must conclude that the ball has some element of good luck to it, and I continue to have the ball with me during every game.

Kimist
11-02-2008, 08:47 PM
I search for the game on TV and curse when it turns up on ESPNU.

Is this going to be a problem for the current season?

The only marginally good thing about ESPNU is that I can watch it on my computer. My "gifts" to the TimeWarner gods are not otherwise sufficient to view it on cable.

FWIW: I'm still smoking about that negated onsides kick in the Wake Forest game!!:mad:

k

bradjenk
11-02-2008, 09:28 PM
Great thread for bonding, i.e. I'm not the only irrational nut.

After over 25 years I have simplified my routine.

- For weekday games it depends on start time; 7:00 start is easier: just be home by 6:30 to change into correct Duke T-shirt (white for home, blue/black for away, gray for neutral court - we are part of the team, right?)
9:00 starts are tougher: work late, eat dinner (no dinner until after game if an early start), get proper shirt and at 8:30 check progress of 7:00 game on TV that MUST END BEFORE DUKE GAME STARTS on the same channel. I don't care who wins that game (well maybe if 1 certain other team is playing) I just want it to be such a blowout that the trailing team doesn't want to foul and use timeouts. If it's close, it's better to be really close so neither team fouls alot. Of course then there is the risk of OT which pretty much ruins the night for the wife and kids who can hear the cussing and throwing of furniture.
- For all games I MUST hear the pregame Bob Harris-Coach K interview on radio. I then place a quick phone call to my Duke friend in Houston to pass on the gameplan and exchange positive vibes.
- During the game it's simply a matter of adjusting the position of the beer on the table and taking sips at the appropriate time. I don't plan this ritual ahead of time, preferring to adjust "by feel" as Coach K does for the game.
- After the game, no matter the outcome, I have to hear the Bob Harris-Coach K postgame interview on the radio. It reaffirms/redirects my view of the game and allows closure. If there is no closure - there is no sleep.

Bob Green
11-02-2008, 10:20 PM
For daytime games, I set my alarm clock to go off at a ridiculously early hour (after going to bed ridiculously early the previous night) and then hope I wake up five minutes earlier so I can turn it off before it actually alarms and irritates Mrs. Green. A noon Saturday start equals 2 a.m. Sunday morning for me. Mrs. Green really appreciates the alarm clock ringing at 1:50 a.m..

For weeknight games, I spend the early morning being as productive as possible, so I can get away with watching the game during my normal work day. A 9 p.m. start time equals lunch time for me.

Basketball season for me is like having perpetual jet lag.

SupaDave
11-02-2008, 11:07 PM
Is this going to be a problem for the current season?

The only marginally good thing about ESPNU is that I can watch it on my computer. My "gifts" to the TimeWarner gods are not otherwise sufficient to view it on cable.

FWIW: I'm still smoking about that negated onsides kick in the Wake Forest game!!:mad:

k

I never thought I would learn to appreciate the haze that is RayCom sports...

Cali-Duke
11-03-2008, 07:55 AM
If I am back in California, I will wear a specific JJ jersey that I wore to the Maryland vs. Duke game during JJ's senior year. Magic Johnson came to the game to give a prep talk during half time. When he came back for the second half, he signed my jersey.

We have never lost when I've worn that jersey. Cause it's 'Magic'!

Lame, I know...=)

SupaDave
11-03-2008, 10:51 AM
For daytime games, I set my alarm clock to go off at a ridiculously early hour (after going to bed ridiculously early the previous night) and then hope I wake up five minutes earlier so I can turn it off before it actually alarms and irritates Mrs. Green. A noon Saturday start equals 2 a.m. Sunday morning for me. Mrs. Green really appreciates the alarm clock ringing at 1:50 a.m..

For weeknight games, I spend the early morning being as productive as possible, so I can get away with watching the game during my normal work day. A 9 p.m. start time equals lunch time for me.

Basketball season for me is like having perpetual jet lag.

This is an incredible adjustment b/c if it's one thing I can't interrupt, it's my sleeping pattern.

How do you get the games? I'm curious.

Billy Dat
11-03-2008, 03:27 PM
It is an unfortunate part of the ritual, but nearly every game my wife leaves the room due to my acting out. As you can imagine, it is usually not related to excessive celebration. The couch cushions are a might bit softer as a result of my rooting - I have often thought of installing a heavy bag right in the tv room.

Another unfortunate ritual is during day games when I start getting nagged for watching and leaving my spouse to watch our 4 youngins. They aren't yet old enough to take a real interest in the game other then to yell "Go Duke!", "Carolina Stinks" and "Bust 'em _____ !"(insert name of player making offensive foray into the paint). As you can imagine, a close game is coming down the stretch, my wife is getting angrier and angrier, I am getting more and more tense and thus more acting out. It is a viscous cycle. Thank goodness the kids are there to take it all in.

Other than that, I do tend to DVR the game and start watching 30 minutes or so late so that I can zip through commercials and end at regulation.

During BIG games, I always watch in real time and speak with my freshman year roomate (G-A, EAST SIDE!) and good buddy at halftime and after the game.

Post game - right to DBR for reaction and posting. Depending on the hour, I will wait for someone to post K's post-game commentary. Once I get the big man's take, it is ok to go to bed. It usually takes that long to get unwound anyway.

Bob Green
11-03-2008, 05:18 PM
This is an incredible adjustment b/c if it's one thing I can't interrupt, it's my sleeping pattern.

How do you get the games? I'm curious.

I watch the games via AFN. In the good ol' days that stood for Armed Forces Television but in today's PC environment it has been changed to American Forces Television.

AFN is a satellite television network uplinked out of Los Angeles serving U.S. Military and Civilians (Defense & State Dept) serving overseas.