PDA

View Full Version : DB Leon Wright out for the season

watzone
10-30-2008, 03:40 PM
Leon Wright To Miss Remainder Of 2008 Season

October 30, 2008

DURHAM, N.C. -- Duke junior cornerback Leon Wright will miss the remainder of the 2008 season due to a left hamstring injury, Blue Devil head coach David Cutcliffe announced on Thursday.

"We learned today that Leon will miss our final five games," Cutcliffe said. "This news is very disappointing because he is a young man of excellent character who has a great understanding of what it takes to compete in our conference. We certainly will miss his contributions on the field and wish him the best in recovery."

Wright, a 5-9, 170-pound native of Tampa, Fla., first injured the hamstring at Georgia Tech on October 4. After sitting out Duke's game with Miami on October 18, he re-injured the leg this past Saturday in Duke's 10-7 victory at Vanderbilt. On the year, Wright posted 12 tackles, four pass breakups, one caused fumble and one interception.

In his 29 games career at Duke, Wright has started 18 contests while compiling 96 tackles, 12 pass breakups and five interceptions. He also has 38 career punt returns for 206 yards and six kickoff returns for 116 yards.

Duke vs. Wake Forest

DT Charlie Hatcher (leg) -- OUT
C Marcus Lind (shoulder) -- OUT
WR Raphael Chestnut (leg) -- Doubtful
WR Austin Kelly (leg) -- Doubtful
S Matt Daniels (shoulder) -- Doubtful
DE Wesley Oglesby (leg) -- Questionable
CB Lee Butler (head) -- Probable

CB Leon Wright (leg) -- OUT FOR SEASON

---

CameronBornAndBred
10-30-2008, 04:54 PM
Crapola...we are getting beat up, but it's football. I wish our injuries were a bit more spread out, our recievers and our corners have taken their lumps. At least the Vandy game proved that unexpected players can step up to fill the holes and make big plays. I expect to see Wake throwing the ball a lot.

loran16
10-30-2008, 06:02 PM
I was never a leon wright fan....he was often on the most popular receivers and was often getting beat (he's small) and his returning game never impressed me.

Just means more time for chris rwakubamba (sp?)

jimsumner
10-30-2008, 06:23 PM
Keep in mind that Wright also was Duke's primary punt returner. So that job is wide open.

loran16
10-30-2008, 07:18 PM
I never get why Eron or one of the running backs doesn't take that job. Can catch and run. Why use a defensive player?

jimsumner
10-30-2008, 08:46 PM
Duke has tried Ryan Wood and Donovan Varner this year and both are WRs.

But some very good kick returners have been DBs. Remember Ronnie Hamilton?

OZZIE4DUKE
10-30-2008, 09:33 PM
I was never a leon wright fan....he was often on the most popular receivers and was often getting beat (he's small) and his returning game never impressed me.

I disagree with your evaluation of Leon Wright. His skills as a corner (cover man) have grown considerably in the last three years. What was always there was his ability to tackle, especially in the open field. Granted, three years ago there were far too many times when a receiver caught an open pass, but Leon almost always brought his man down, while other DB's missed tackles and the man got away. Not when Leon tackled him - the ball carrier went down. We will miss Leon Wright being on the field.

devildeac
10-30-2008, 11:42 PM
Yet another reason that this is the toughest part of our schedule. There is little if any time with no more bye weeks to heal our wounded. Time for the freshmen here to fill in like veterans.

SharkD
10-31-2008, 01:20 AM
I disagree with your evaluation of Leon Wright. His skills as a corner (cover man) have grown considerably in the last three years. I hate to rag on any college player, but I agree with loran16.

It seemed throughout the Northwestern game, that anytime NW went to the player that Wright was covering, they got a big play out of it. He was consistently laying-off his coverage, hanging back and watching the ball, not the WR he was covering.

I don't know if it was size, or conditioning, or effort, but his performance seemed to be lacking, at least in that game. (Navy hardly gave any of our CBs any work to do, and I wasn't able to attend the UVA or Miami games, so I can't speak from first-hand experience.)

Jim3k
10-31-2008, 03:57 AM
Duke has tried Ryan Wood and Donovan Varner this year and both are WRs.

But some very good kick returners have been DBs. Remember Ronnie Hamilton?

Don't forget AA DB Ernie Jackson. Remember his runback for a TD against Stanford?

OZZIE4DUKE
10-31-2008, 08:33 AM
Don't forget AA DB Ernie Jackson. Remember his runback for a TD against Stanford?

Jim, I think many of our posters weren't alive when Ernie Jackson played for Duke.:eek:

killerleft
10-31-2008, 09:21 AM
I was listening to that Stanford game at a friend's house. We went "plumb apey" when Ernie did that. What an athlete!

Jim3k
10-31-2008, 05:47 PM
Jim, I think many of our posters weren't alive when Ernie Jackson played for Duke.:eek:

What? That can't be so! :D Legends live beyond their time, so the readers must/should know about Ernie. When you and I were in school, the Ace's legend was alive and Eric (the Red) Tipton's, and Ed Meadow's, and on and on... May Ernie's game winner live on!

Of course, my point was, as you know, to point out that Jim Sumner is absolutely correct when he said that DBs have shown expertise in punt/kickoff returns over the years. I just think he missed the prime example. And Jim S has been around as long as you and I.

BTW, I was at that Stanford game as our defense bent, but never broke and Ernie's TD stood up for the win. It was wonderful to walk out of the stadium that day and listen to all the whining from those clad in red. Take that! ... and keep taking that, Don Bunce and John Ralston! :p