PDA

View Full Version : No go for Boyette

jimsumner
10-29-2008, 09:40 AM
Duke makes it official.

"Duke running back Re'quan Boyette, who underwent knee surgery on August 9 and has not seen game action this year, will not play the remainder of the season, Blue Devil head coach David Cutcliffe announced on Wednesday. Boyette will have one season of eligibility remaining.

"While we are disappointed that Re'quan will not get on the field this season, we are excited about him returning in 2009," Cutcliffe said. "We are not going to play a young man if he is not ready, and with five games to play, Re'quan is not to the point where he could contribute. What is undeniable is Re'quan's commitment to our program. He has been an outstanding leader for our team."

One of four captains elected by the team this year, Boyette led the Blue Devils in rushing in both 2006 and 2007 and is one of 37 players in Duke football history to reach the 1,000-yard plateau on the ground. He has played in 33 career games with 10 starting assignments, rushing 251 times for 1,072 yards while catching 30 passes for an additional 140 yards.

The Wilson, N.C., native has five career touchdown runs and owns the 10th-longest rush from scrimmage in Duke history with a 78-yard jaunt against Florida State on October 22, 2005."

jimsumner
10-29-2008, 09:43 AM
Mis-typed Boyette in thread title. I'm an afternoon guy. Trust one of those mod types will correct.

Much obliged.

wilson
10-29-2008, 10:04 AM
While it stinks for this year (especially since our ground game has struggled some), this is good news for next year's team (assuming Re'Quan opts to take advantage of his remaining year of eligibility). While we lose various pieces, probably most notably from the O-line and the linebacking corps, the '09 Devils will return a very good D-line, and Boyette and Thad's senior leadership on offense will be undeniable.

RaineyDevil
10-29-2008, 11:52 AM
With Cutcliffe and his recruiting potential, Duke has the necessary tools in place to be a competetor in the ACC. He has already had a huge impact this year as everyone can see. It would be great to see the Big 4 (minus State, cause lets face it, State will never be good at anything...ever) take over in football as well as basketball. Duke, Wake, and Chapel Hell have made strides the last few seasons to remove themselves from the bottom feeders of the ACC. Being born and raised in NC, I am a Duke Basketball fan tried and true, but i would love to see Cutcliffe bring the Devils into the football limelight as well! GO DEVILS GO!

Acymetric
10-29-2008, 12:04 PM
I kind of figured he would end up redshirting at this point. Its a shame, him coming back halfway and really helping to spark a bowl run his senior season would have been a great storyline, but I look forward to seeing him in the backfield next year! Having him will be a big help, both in terms of production from the running game and leadership from a 5th year senior that is clearly dedicated to the program. Anyone who has seen him on the sidelines during games would agree, even without playing he's one of the most passionate guys out there.

CameronBornAndBred
10-29-2008, 12:42 PM
All for the best. I think our running game is going to be insane next year. We know the guys can make plays with the ball, if they get the blocks they need up front we are going to make some noise that we haven't done in years on the ground. In retrospect, it would have been nice having Boyette in there, but the experience gained by our younger players will prove to be invaluable.