PDA

View Full Version : Gerald Article from GoDuke.com

SilkyJ
10-27-2008, 05:05 PM
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=1612170

I hope he continues to show that mid range pull-up game this year and really not even worry about the 3 ball, especially with the line being moved back. After Luol's 1st year in the NBA he pretty much stopped shooting 3s and made his living off of mid range pull ups. just my 2 cents...

(also, I was really happy when G made that play against Belmont, but why is that only thing people seem to be talking about? Every article you read about him references that play. One play does not define a player. He made a coast to coast drive against a low mid-major team. Moreover, its one play so it really can't tell us THAT much.)

COYS
10-27-2008, 05:32 PM
It definitely sounds like G is ready to make the big jump. I can't wait to see him play this season.

Although, I have to say that as awesome as I think Gerald can be, I'm still not convinced that he should be selected to the ACC first team ahead of Kyle. Kyle had an amazing freshman season, won ACC rookie of the year, and is coming back as a sophomore. The freshman-sophomore jump is usually the biggest in terms of production and while Duke will be a balanced team again this year, I fully expect Kyle to improve his stats, especially in the ppg and apg categories. Plus, he'll be playing his more natural position. Gerald's certainly got the potential to be a star, but to me there's really no reason to think Kyle won't be even better this year. Of course, i guess it would be best if we had both as first-team all-ACC players.

Kedsy
10-27-2008, 05:48 PM
I was really happy when G made that play against Belmont, but why is that only thing people seem to be talking about? Every article you read about him references that play. One play does not define a player. He made a coast to coast drive against a low mid-major team.

I agree with you regarding the media and casual observers harping on one play instead of a player's entire body of work. That said, I think the reason they do is the play showed a mindset we hadn't seen too often from G before. The game was on the line and he knew he was the Man and nobody was taking it away from him.

He's always had the physical gifts. He has needed health and to learn how to play, but most of all he's needed the attitude, the swagger, the mindset that says this is mine and nobody is stopping me. People saw that ego (to use Coach K's new word) in the play against Belmont and that is why they think he'll grow into his gifts this year. As I said, I agree with you, but assuming that's why they do it there is some validity to the point.