PDA

View Full Version : Brand New Survivor Football Pool!!! Join now!!

JasonEvans
10-27-2008, 10:00 AM
Ok, seeing as the first pool is over (anyone know who won?!?!), I have started a new one. It is called DBR Survivors and can be seen here-- http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/survival/35613. As you can see, it is group #35613. You will need that number to get to it.

The password for entry is "Duke" -- pretty original, eh?

Hurry up people!!

It should be much easier than the first one as we have a ton more information about the teams now than we did at the beginning of the season.

-Jason "I fear that we will not get a winner with just 8 or 9 weeks left in the season" Evans

JasonEvans
10-27-2008, 10:04 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention, please please please please make your DBR handle at least somewhat associated with the name of your picks. That way we will have an easier time identifying each other.

--Jason "it makes the taunting so much more fun if you know who you are taunting" Evans

JasonEvans
10-28-2008, 08:46 AM
Bump---

Because only 5 of ya'll have joined so far.

-Jason

Bostondevil
10-28-2008, 08:57 AM
Oops, didn't read Jason's second post in time. Anyway, Bostondevil is also RandyMawesome. I think you can make the connection.

Lavabe
10-28-2008, 04:58 PM
Just signed up.

Who is CLEVELAND STEAMERS?

I decided to go with the correct pronunciation of my name: Lava-Bay.

Cheers,
Lavabe

blazindw
10-28-2008, 05:11 PM
I hope to make it 2 for 2 in DBR Survivor Leagues!

wilson
10-28-2008, 05:13 PM
Who is CLEVELAND STEAMERS?
Cheers,
Lavabe

What? I really like steamships, and Cleveland is a nice city. The perfect place whence to ply the waves of mighty Lake Erie aboard a steamer, if you ask me.

Ben63
10-28-2008, 08:34 PM
Should we make it an honor system rule that you cannot select a team you already selected in the first pool?

JasonEvans
10-29-2008, 08:58 AM
Should we make it an honor system rule that you cannot select a team you already selected in the first pool?

That is obviously patently unfair to the folks who went further in the first pool. DA and I have been selecting teams for several weeks longer than the rest of ya ;)

--Jason "but, if it matters, the team I am picking this week hasnot been picked by me before" Evans

DukieInKansas
10-29-2008, 11:22 AM

Won't be hard for me - I was out the first week. Of course, I don't remember who I picked either. :D

DevilAlumna
10-29-2008, 09:05 PM
Count me in, again. :D

Lavabe
10-30-2008, 07:06 AM
So what will be the rule? Can or can't we use any of the original picks?
Cheers,
Lavabe

YmoBeThere
10-30-2008, 07:10 AM
Oops, didn't read Jason's second post in time. Anyway, Bostondevil is also RandyMawesome. I think you can make the connection.

I have a friend who met several of the Pats at a party. Her only takeaways from the evening...TB is kind of aloof and no one really likes RM.

YmoBeThere
10-30-2008, 07:10 AM
I hope to make it 2 for 2 in DBR Survivor Leagues!

I did, I joined both...:D

Bostondevil
10-30-2008, 08:03 AM
I have a friend who met several of the Pats at a party. Her only takeaways from the evening...TB is kind of aloof and no one really likes RM.

Aw, poor Randy. I like him!

JasonEvans
10-30-2008, 03:15 PM
So what will be the rule? Can or can't we use any of the original picks?
Cheers,
Lavabe

Yes, you can repeat old picks. To do otherwise would be ridiculously unfair to -- uhhh -- ME!

-Jason "da champ" Evans

CameronBornAndBred
10-30-2008, 05:21 PM
Made my pick today, with a team boasting a record that I would not normally go with, but I think the Titans will make it to 8-0 against the Packers this week. I don't trust going with the undefeated or against the totally defeated, like everyone seems to be with Detroit. One day the upset will come. But not Sunday :).

weezie
10-30-2008, 06:09 PM
Sorry. I'm from Detroit, where we are utterly ashamed of our so-called "f-o-o-t-b-a-l-l" team.
I don't deserve to be a participant in any pools. :(
I'll just sit here in the gutter, lonely and hopeless and friendless.....
Anybody care to buy any matches?

DukieInKansas
11-01-2008, 12:15 AM
Sorry. I'm from Detroit, where we are utterly ashamed of our so-called "f-o-o-t-b-a-l-l" team.
I don't deserve to be a participant in any pools. :(
I'll just sit here in the gutter, lonely and hopeless and friendless.....
Anybody care to buy any matches?

If someone from Kansas City joins, then someone from Detroit has the right to join also. We are pathetic this year - and just barely avoided having this weekend's game blacked out.

sue71, esq
11-01-2008, 12:40 AM
If someone from Kansas City joins, then someone from Detroit has the right to join also. We are pathetic this year - and just barely avoided having this weekend's game blacked out.

Hey, I'm in LA. At least you guys HAVE teams.

Still love my Giants. :)

Lavabe
11-02-2008, 07:56 AM
Hey, I'm in LA. At least you guys HAVE teams.

Still love my Giants. :)

I was in St. Louis when we had Bill Bidwell take the team to 'zona. Then we had no team. Then we thought the Pats were moving to St. Louis. Then the NFL awarded franchises to Jax and Carolina. Then we got the Rams.

I hope y'all don't have to go what St.L went through.

Bostondevil
11-02-2008, 09:03 AM
Bob Kraft is beloved in New England, just in case you didn't know.

CameronBornAndBred
11-02-2008, 02:37 PM
Titans are holding on by the skin of their teeth at halftime. But right now I'm Really Happy I Did Not Pick Chicago.

CameronBornAndBred
11-02-2008, 03:43 PM
Grrrr...Titans-Packers now tied, Lions are finding new ways to choke.

CameronBornAndBred
11-02-2008, 04:16 PM
whew

JasonEvans
11-02-2008, 04:53 PM
Tampa and Chicago gave many of us a real sweat this week, that's for sure.

Jax losing to Cincy would seem to be the big upset of the week but no one in our group took Jax so that one will not blast us. Looking like a good week for all of us -- at least so far.

-Jason

DevilAlumna
11-02-2008, 05:36 PM
Man, I know DiK loves her Giants, but picking them over Dallas is a bit risky!

I would have thought the Eagles over the Seahawks was a decent pick, but Seneca Wallace surprised me last week, and it's Seattle weather here today (sunny one moment, rainy the next.) Go 'hawks!

blazindw
11-02-2008, 07:23 PM
And everyone is safe this week. No eliminations, although my Lions could have eliminated half the field before they decided to keep the perfect 0-16 season alive.

sue71, esq
11-02-2008, 07:32 PM
And everyone is safe this week. No eliminations, although my Lions could have eliminated half the field before they decided to keep the perfect 0-16 season alive.

Amen to perfection. ;)

DukieInKansas
11-02-2008, 09:18 PM
Man, I know DiK loves her Giants, but picking them over Dallas is a bit risky!

I would have thought the Eagles over the Seahawks was a decent pick, but Seneca Wallace surprised me last week, and it's Seattle weather here today (sunny one moment, rainy the next.) Go 'hawks!

I think they are Sue71's Giants. I just can't stand the Cowboys. Also, had to go with Coach Cut's boy Eli. :D

sue71, esq
11-02-2008, 09:49 PM
I think they are Sue71's Giants. I just can't stand the Cowboys. Also, had to go with Coach Cut's boy Eli. :D

Why, thank you DiK! And naturally, as they are my Giants ;) , I also can't stand the Cowboys.

Veering a little OT here... when did Dan Patrick and Keith Olberman team up again for Sunday Night Football on NBC? Do I just not usually watch halftime and therefore miss them? Good to see them together again but it's just not the same as it was on ESPN.

Highlander
11-03-2008, 12:51 PM

Jax losing to Cincy would seem to be the big upset of the week but no one in our group took Jax so that one will not blast us. Looking like a good week for all of us -- at least so far.

-Jason

I picked Tampa. After seeing the halftime score I thought "Well, my first survival pool was fun." Being a Panthers fan, I would have taken the KC win and elimination from the pool as it would have given the Panthers a 2 game division lead. Oh well.

Bad teams find ways to lose games they should win. Good teams find ways to win games they should lose.

2535Miles
11-03-2008, 04:18 PM
I picked Tampa. After seeing the halftime score I thought "Well, my first survival pool was fun." Being a Panthers fan, I would have taken the KC win and elimination from the pool as it would have given the Panthers a 2 game division lead. Oh well.

Bad teams find ways to lose games they should win. Good teams find ways to win games they should lose.
I picked TB as well. You can imagine my dismay when I checked the score at the half. I thought to myself: "Well this is great, I've been booted out of two survivor leagues in the first game." I was happy to see that TB squeaked by.

DukieInKansas
11-03-2008, 05:22 PM

-Jason

I actually started with picking Jax but changed my mind five minutes later and went with Sue71's Giants.

BD80
11-03-2008, 06:16 PM
I started with the ABSOLUTELY unassailable proposition that any team playing the Lions is likely to win, particularly when acting as host.

Frigging Lions are so unreliable that they can't even be counted on to lose! Well, they can be counted on to lose, but they made it exciting.

OK, so now the Lions lose their second "starting" quarterback, and are faced with a choice of:

a 2nd year rookie (Stanton) who the offensive coordinator is afraid to play for fear Stanton would be embarrassed and who (insiders confess) has trouble throwing a spiral, or

a former all-pro signing tomorrow (Culpepper), who hasn't played this year, hasn't had a good game in nearly four years, and will have five days to learn the team and the playbook.

Boy its fun to be a Lions fan.

At least I can't choose Da Bears again!

DukieInKansas
11-03-2008, 06:43 PM
I started with the ABSOLUTELY unassailable proposition that any team playing the Lions is likely to win, particularly when acting as host.

Frigging Lions are so unreliable that they can't even be counted on to lose! Well, they can be counted on to lose, but they made it exciting.

OK, so now the Lions lose their second "starting" quarterback, and are faced with a choice of:

a 2nd year rookie (Stanton) who the offensive coordinator is afraid to play for fear Stanton would be embarrassed and who (insiders confess) has trouble throwing a spiral, or

a former all-pro signing tomorrow (Culpepper), who hasn't played this year, hasn't had a good game in nearly four years, and will have five days to learn the team and the playbook.

Boy its fun to be a Lions fan.

At least I can't choose Da Bears again!

Hey - you could be a kansas city chefs fan. Our first two quarterbacks are out for the year. They were considering Culpepper until our 3rd string QB had a decent game, although a loss, at NYJets. We are now playing with Thigpen out of Coastal Carolina as our starting quarterback. Once again, the chefs snatched defeat from the jaws of victory yesterday.

JasonEvans
11-05-2008, 10:33 AM
Reminder-- with a Thursday night game this week, folks must get their picks in EARLY!

-Jason

EarlJam
11-05-2008, 11:05 AM
I know there are some seemingly "easy" picks out there this week, one being San Diego over K.C. at home.

But I choose to save those easy picks for later on.

EarlJam's amazing Upset Pick O' the weekend: Chicago over Tennessee.

And this time, I'm sticking with my gut.

-EJ

2535Miles
11-05-2008, 11:18 AM
I know there are some seemingly "easy" picks out there this week, one being San Diego over K.C. at home.

But I choose to save those easy picks for later on.

EarlJam's amazing Upset Pick O' the weekend: Chicago over Tennessee.

And this time, I'm sticking with my gut.

-EJ
Awesome. Don't let them sway you this time.

DevilAlumna
11-06-2008, 05:00 AM
Man, I so want to pick Miami over the Seahawks - the 'hawks hate to play in the East, and Seneca Wallace still can't run the offense.

But, I lost out in the last competition because I bet against them - I think it was divine karma against me. Won't make that mistake twice... but for the rest of you - I'd take another look at that game.

JasonEvans
11-06-2008, 08:18 AM
Man, I so want to pick Miami over the Seahawks - the 'hawks hate to play in the East, and Seneca Wallace still can't run the offense.

But, I lost out in the last competition because I bet against them - I think it was divine karma against me. Won't make that mistake twice... but for the rest of you - I'd take another look at that game.

Shhhhhhhhhhh. Stop giving away my picks ;)

-Jason

BD80
11-06-2008, 09:19 AM

Similarly, I am dying to pick against my Lions; they will be starting a quarterback who signed 2 days ago or one who has never played in the NFL and struggles to throw a spiral. The Jags should also be smoking as the coach is really trying to shake things up and get his team fired up. Teams tend to look good against the Lions.

However, the Lions almost blew it for me last week, and their last 3 games (Bears, Vikings and Redskins) have been close. Thus, I am going with a different choice, allowing the rest of you to choose against my Lions and rest easy.

YmoBeThere
11-08-2008, 07:22 AM
Crap, missed the deadline...:( :(

Lavabe
11-08-2008, 07:21 PM
Crap, missed the deadline...:( :(

Huh... isn't the deadline normally on Sunday?:eek:

JasonEvans
11-08-2008, 07:25 PM
Huh... isn't the deadline normally on Sunday?:eek:

No, there was a Thursday game this week so the deadline was Thursday. I do not control it. Yahoo dictates these things. I posted a note in this thread because I was worried folks might miss the deadline.

--Jason "sorry guys!" Evans

JasonEvans
11-09-2008, 11:21 PM
Sick-- it looks like all of us who made picks survived again this week (pending Arizona on Monday night). We are studs!!

I can't believe I am now on a ten week streak. I am yet to pick the same team twice too. Why am I not in Vegas right now!??!?!

-Jason "not many games I like this coming week" Evans

EarlJam
11-09-2008, 11:35 PM
Sick-- it looks like all of us who made picks survived again this week (pending Arizona on Monday night). We are studs!!

I can't believe I am now on a ten week streak. I am yet to pick the same team twice too. Why am I not in Vegas right now!??!?!

-Jason "not many games I like this coming week" Evans

I'm just thankful I changed my "Chicago over Tennessee" pick at the 11th hour!

Ten weeks in a row? Dayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyymn!

-EarlJam

CameronBornAndBred
11-10-2008, 08:07 AM
If Arizona go down tonite, so will a lot of people. I don't see it happening, but it sure was a popular pick.

2535Miles
11-11-2008, 12:26 AM
Damn, Kurt is looking good for his age. Fun game tonight for what could've been a real snoozer.

Lavabe
11-11-2008, 08:29 AM
Alright, that was TOO close!

On to a safer selection for next week.

How about the Lions?:eek:

How about a nice safe team like the Jets!

Cheers,
Lavabe

JasonEvans
11-12-2008, 12:16 PM
Another Thursday game this week-- so get your picks in on time!!!!

--Jason "we are still undefeated, except for folks who did not pick in time" Evans

Lavabe
11-13-2008, 11:49 AM
PLEASE, no mistakes like last week.

Having said that, I'm picking the Fail-cons.:eek:

sue71, esq
11-13-2008, 07:33 PM
Reminder, 45 minutes left to pick for this week.

CameronBornAndBred
11-13-2008, 08:57 PM
I'm cheering for DA to advance this week.

JasonEvans
11-13-2008, 09:39 PM
We lost BD80 to not making his pick in time. Sigh.

Lots of folks betting on Miami over the horrible Raiders. I am scared to death of that one. Oakland has to play decent and get lucky at some point.

--Jason "props to Lav for taking Atlanta over Denver-- probably the gutsiest pick out there this week" Evans

sue71, esq
11-13-2008, 10:27 PM
We lost BD80 to not making his pick in time. Sigh.

Lots of folks betting on Miami over the horrible Raiders. I am scared to death of that one. Oakland has to play decent and get lucky at some point.

--Jason "props to Lav for taking Atlanta over Denver-- probably the gutsiest pick out there this week" Evans

Miami screwed me last time, so I wouldn't be surprised if it happened again.

Lavabe
11-16-2008, 03:57 PM
Thank you Fail-cons.

I'm out.

YmoBeThere
11-16-2008, 05:21 PM
Looks like I forgot to pick a team again this week...

CameronBornAndBred
11-16-2008, 05:36 PM
Congrats to the two who got lucky with a tie!

DukieInKansas
11-16-2008, 07:37 PM
Looks like I forgot to pick a team again this week...

I hate it when that happens. :D

JasonEvans
11-17-2008, 07:29 AM
Thank you Fail-cons.

I'm out.

Never, ever, ever pick against a decent team. That is the cardinal rule of Survivor Football. Denver may not be great and may have been playing on the road but they are certainly a decent team.

Always pick against really bad teams, that is the key to staying alive in this game.

By the way, I have now picked successfully 10 weeks in a row. Want to know who I have picked against?

StL
KC x 2
Hou
Cin
Det x 4
SF

None of those teams are going to even sniff a .500 record this season.

--Jason "I love ya for picking the Falcons though and wish Roddy White had caught that pass that would have won it for ya" Evans

YmoBeThere
11-17-2008, 07:55 AM
How did you do against the spread? And when are you headed to Vegas?

JasonEvans
11-17-2008, 09:25 AM
How did you do against the spread? And when are you headed to Vegas?

Oh, betting against the spread and betting in a Survivor pool are such wildly different things. They almost have no relationship to each other. I have not conducted any long-term studies of my ability as a picker against the spread though it is certainly worth noting that several of my survivor picks have been muuuch closer games than I would have expected and likely would have been losers against the spread.

I have no current plans to be in Vegas any time soon... but ya never know!

--Jason "Vegas baby!!!" Evans

Bostondevil
11-17-2008, 09:42 AM
I always thought it was 'Pick a Winner' and a tie knocked you out. Not that I'm lobbying to get rid of our Philadelphia pickers, I just thought that was the rule.

JasonEvans
11-17-2008, 10:15 AM
I always thought it was 'Pick a Winner' and a tie knocked you out. Not that I'm lobbying to get rid of our Philadelphia pickers, I just thought that was the rule.

I agree, though it is Yahoo that controls these things. The question is -- does survival mean winning or not losing? I can understand that logic that it means not losing so the Philly people get to stay.

-Jason "we continue to do very well as a group" Evans

EarlJam
11-17-2008, 10:28 AM
Never, ever, ever pick against a decent team. That is the cardinal rule of Survivor Football. Denver may not be great and may have been playing on the road but they are certainly a decent team.

Always pick against really bad teams, that is the key to staying alive in this game.

--Jason "I love ya for picking the Falcons though and wish Roddy White had caught that pass that would have won it for ya" Evans

True, but I won't be betting against Detroit anytime soon. They're due to surprise somebody, and when they do, they're gonna take down a handful of participants with them!

-EJ

DukieInKansas
11-17-2008, 10:39 AM

Let's check with Donovan McNabb on the tie rules. :D

Lavabe
11-17-2008, 12:48 PM

By the way, I have now picked successfully 10 weeks in a row. Want to know who I have picked against?

StL
KC x 2
Hou
Cin
Det x 4
SF

None of those teams are going to even sniff a .500 record this season.

For the record, I tried that strategy in the previous survivor football pool, and lost when StLouis beat the Skins in DC.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Highlander
11-17-2008, 09:43 PM
I agree, though it is Yahoo that controls these things. The question is -- does survival mean winning or not losing? I can understand that logic that it means not losing so the Philly people get to stay.

-Jason "we continue to do very well as a group" Evans

Yahoo rules that a tie is not a win, so all Philly pickers (including myself) were eliminated.

<sigh>

CameronBornAndBred
11-17-2008, 10:10 PM
Yahoo rules that a tie is not a win, so all Philly pickers (including myself) were eliminated.

<sigh>
Well that sux. Glass half empty / half full philosophy there, I would have elected everyone move on since there wasn't a loser either.

DevilAlumna
11-17-2008, 10:28 PM
Well that sux. Glass half empty / half full philosophy there, I would have elected everyone move on since there wasn't a loser either.

CBAB, I hope the Buffalo fumble that just occurred has a glass half full side to it, otherwise it looks like you and I are bowing out tonight. :(

CameronBornAndBred
11-17-2008, 11:11 PM
CBAB, I hope the Buffalo fumble that just occurred has a glass half full side to it, otherwise it looks like you and I are bowing out tonight. :(
Doing OK, the return helped tons obviously. Browns pressing in the red zone again though...grrr.

CameronBornAndBred
11-17-2008, 11:54 PM
Stupid Kickers

Best of luck to y'all for the rest of the season. At least my real teams are doing ok (Panthers / Steelers)

Stupid Kickers

DevilAlumna
11-18-2008, 12:01 AM
Stupid Kickers

Best of luck to y'all for the rest of the season. At least my real teams are doing ok (Panthers / Steelers)

Stupid Kickers

Well if I'd known it was going to come down to Buffalo kickers, I never would have bet on the Bills! Scott Norwood was one of the most infamous graduates of my high school....

Deslok
11-18-2008, 09:33 AM
This seemed the most appropriate place to put this, so what the heck...

I'm not doing the survivor thing, but I am doing a yahoo fantasy league. And as right now, I've scored the most points in my league. But its a head to head league, so overall points don't matter but week to week does. But no big deal, I should still be rocking right? Well, in the 10 team league, I'm 7th, with a 5-6 record. Most points in the league... losing record. Half the league has had their best week of the year against me. I was looking pretty good to get the win this week, up 10 points going into last nights game, and all he had left was his kicker... yep... Dawson.

Argh, just felt like venting frustrations.

wilson
11-18-2008, 09:42 AM
This seemed the most appropriate place to put this, so what the heck...

I'm not doing the survivor thing, but I am doing a yahoo fantasy league. And as right now, I've scored the most points in my league. But its a head to head league, so overall points don't matter but week to week does. But no big deal, I should still be rocking right? Well, in the 10 team league, I'm 7th, with a 5-6 record. Most points in the league... losing record. Half the league has had their best week of the year against me. I was looking pretty good to get the win this week, up 10 points going into last nights game, and all he had left was his kicker... yep... Dawson.

Argh, just felt like venting frustrations.

What's the playoff format? If you can sneak in, you'll still be among the favorites (though most of your leaguemates probably won't notice). I've won multiple such championships with records hovering around .500. It's particularly gratifying to yank the rug out from under everyone.

Bostondevil
11-18-2008, 06:37 PM
My husband and brother co-own a fantasy team in a league where the team with the most points scored in the season does win something.

Deslok
11-18-2008, 07:50 PM
No such luck for me. And only the top 4 teams make the playoffs. Its possible for me to make it if I go 2-1(basically so long as I don't lose to 1 of the teams I need to climb over), but I almost need to go 3-0 just to make the playoffs. So to win I might have to win 5 straight which I can't see happening.

gw67
11-19-2008, 10:52 AM
Deslok – One of my sons asked me to join him and six of his friends in a Yahoo fantasy league this year. I root for the Skins but haven’t pay much attention to many of the teams in the league. He convinced me to join and gave me a quick Fastasy 101 course before the draft (which took about a ˝ hour to complete). Anyway, my experience is almost the exact opposite of yours. I have the 7th lowest number of points but am in 2nd place after 11 games. I find that I suddenly have an interest in teams/players that I never followed before.

gw67

Bostondevil
11-19-2008, 12:17 PM
My husband/brother's team, barring a miracle, will sadly end a 4 year (maybe longer) run of making the playoffs in their league. Their chances were blown 8 minutes into the season when Bernard Pollard took out their first round pick. You can't lose your top fantasy guy 8 minutes into the season and hope to recover. Does anybody need to ask who their first round pick was this year?

Deslok
11-19-2008, 03:03 PM
Believe it or not, I had Brady on that team as well. Its just that I picked Cutler as my backup QB and that's worked out quite nicely, as has picking backs Turner and Forte.

DukieInKansas
11-21-2008, 09:29 AM
Dadblasted Thursday night games! :o

JasonEvans
11-21-2008, 09:58 AM

We've had them several weeks in a row now. Sorry.

-Jason "we are whittling ourselves down" Evans

blazindw
11-21-2008, 12:46 PM
In my mind, picking Pittsburgh was a pretty easy call this week.

2535Miles
11-22-2008, 04:10 AM
Four players lost to no votes.
Pittsburgh win protected lots.
Two for Dallas and I picked Denver.

JasonEvans
11-22-2008, 09:00 AM
I don't mean to brag or anything but...

I have now run my survival streak to 11 in a row in the original pool... and I have not picked the same team twice or any other shenanigans. Just 11 pure picks in a row.

Yes, I am great. You may all bow down to me now.

--Jason "this is nice because I have always sucked at Survival pools in the past" Evans

Lavabe
11-22-2008, 11:32 AM

They're even worse when you see them on the NFL Network.:mad:

DukieInKansas
11-22-2008, 10:16 PM
They're even worse when you see them on the NFL Network.:mad:

I didn't realize there was a game until I got home from bells and watched the tape of the Duke game - there were Steelers/Bungles updates running across the bottom of the screen. I'm an idiot.

sue71, esq
11-23-2008, 10:49 PM
Early deadline this week folks... 11/27, 12:30EST/9:30PST.

2535Miles
11-24-2008, 02:10 AM
I don't want to talk about it.

Lavabe
11-24-2008, 05:33 AM
I have now run my survival streak to 11 in a row in the original pool... and I have not picked the same team twice or any other shenanigans. Just 11 pure picks in a row.

Technically, oh great one, you HAVE picked AGAINST the same team more than once.

First option: pick the Lions' opponents.
Second option: the Bungles' opponents.
Third option: the Chiefs' opponents.

Nonetheless, I am in awe of your skills in prognostication.
Cheers,
Lavabe

JasonEvans
11-24-2008, 09:02 AM
Technically, oh great one, you HAVE picked AGAINST the same team more than once.

Cheers,
Lavabe

I am strongly considering taking Seattle's opponent this week -- that would be new for me ;)

In my set of picks that are still going from the beginning of the season I am doomed! I have already used Tennessee and Dallas so the two most attractive games (Tenn at Detroit and Dallas home versus Seattle) are not available for me. Whew, this is hard! I'll almost certainly go with a road team -- perhaps Baltimore (over Cincy) or Indy (over Cleveland). The only home team that is an option is Buffalo over San Fran. Blech!! Too many bad teams playing bad teams and good teams playing good teams this week!

--Jason "once you knock out 11 possible teams to take, this thing gets hard!" Evans

DukieInKansas
11-24-2008, 11:33 AM

Cheers,
Lavabe

Spelling correction: Third option chefs - they don't deserve capital letters or the i

Lavabe
11-24-2008, 07:37 PM
I am strongly considering taking Seattle's opponent this week -- that would be new for me ;)

In my set of picks that are still going from the beginning of the season I am doomed! I have already used Tennessee and Dallas so the two most attractive games (Tenn at Detroit and Dallas home versus Seattle) are not available for me. Whew, this is hard! I'll almost certainly go with a road team -- perhaps Baltimore (over Cincy) or Indy (over Cleveland). The only home team that is an option is Buffalo over San Fran. Blech!! Too many bad teams playing bad teams and good teams playing good teams this week!

--Jason "once you knock out 11 possible teams to take, this thing gets hard!" Evans

You COULD root for the Arizona Chirping Red Birds over the Philadelphia 2nd String QB-led frozen raptors.:o

wilson
11-25-2008, 09:44 AM
You COULD root for the Arizona Chirping Red Birds over the Philadelphia 2nd String QB-led frozen raptors.:o

Actually, the Philadelphia raptors will be led by their first-string QB this Thursday, according to an announcement made yesterday. Andy Reid is officially losing his grip before our eyes (if he hasn't already lost it entirely).

JasonEvans
11-25-2008, 10:26 AM
Betting against a fairly decent team like Philly -- regardless of who they have at QB -- is a baaad move in Survivor Football. It is not like Philly is playing the Giants or Titans or some other great team either. Arizona is pretty good but have built up a lot of their record by beating lousy teams. They play in the worst division in the NFC.

Do I think Arizona will win? Yup, you bet. But am I willing to stake my Survival record on that happening? No way. I'd give Philly at least a 25 or 30% chance of taking that game-- and that is waaay too high for me to risk in Survivor.

-Jason "bet against bad teams, not decent teams" Evans

2535Miles
11-25-2008, 12:29 PM
Betting against a fairly decent team like Philly -- regardless of who they have at QB -- is a baaad move in Survivor Football. It is not like Philly is playing the Giants or Titans or some other great team either. Arizona is pretty good but have built up a lot of their record by beating lousy teams. They play in the worst division in the NFC.

Do I think Arizona will win? Yup, you bet. But am I willing to stake my Survival record on that happening? No way. I'd give Philly at least a 25 or 30% chance of taking that game-- and that is waaay too high for me to risk in Survivor.

-Jason "bet against bad teams, not decent teams" Evans
Unless it's Oakland on the road.

EarlJam
11-26-2008, 09:03 PM
I just went to the Survivor Football link and it said I was not a member of the group.

Um, the hell I am not.

I am.

What's going on?

-EarlJam

sue71, esq
11-26-2008, 10:00 PM
I just went to the Survivor Football link and it said I was not a member of the group.

Um, the hell I am not.

I am.

What's going on?

-EarlJam

Stupid question: Were you logged in?

JasonEvans
11-27-2008, 10:32 AM

Um, the hell I am not.

I am.

What's going on?

-EarlJam

The group page still shows EarlCampbellJam! as one of the teams in the group.

--Jason "yeah, I am taking Tennessee this week -- sue me" Evans

sue71, esq
11-27-2008, 12:05 PM
--Jason "yeah, I am taking Tennessee this week -- sue me" Evans

It goes against everything I am as a Giants fan, but I'm taking Dallas. I'm screwed.

Edit: EJ, it shows that you picked for this week so you should be ok.

Bostondevil
11-27-2008, 05:23 PM
I was sweatin that Tennessee pick after the Collins fumble! ;)

YmoBeThere
11-27-2008, 06:15 PM
These games haven't been very interesting at all...

JasonEvans
11-27-2008, 08:39 PM
Tenn and Dallas both won easily. Two of the easiest and most obvious picks of the year in Survivor Football.

--Jason "I fear that we will not have a winner by the end of the regular season -- if that happens I say we continue with the palyoffs-- when the picks get a lot harder" Evans

Lavabe
11-28-2008, 08:49 AM
The Arizona red chirping birds wound up being clucking ducks. Go figure the raptors bouncing back after their worst performance of the year.:o

Which goes to show that I deservedly lost in the second pool!:D

Cheers,
Lavabe

P.S. The NFL Network coverage still stunk. I like Cris Collingsworth, but not in that role.

sue71, esq
12-01-2008, 01:23 AM
And it appears we all survived to pick for another week...

EarlJam
12-02-2008, 10:22 AM
Just toppin' it...

-EJ

JasonEvans
12-02-2008, 12:50 PM
I hit on Baltimore, so I am still alive in the first pool where I am running a 12 week streak. Sweet!! I cannot fathom making it to the end of the season though as I am really running out of good teams to take.

I've got a lot of good choices available this week though--

San Diego over Oakland is interesting and might be the only way I would pick San Diego.

Indy over Cincy is available to me and very tempting. Indy is in a playoff race and I have a hard time seeing Peyton have another game as bad as the one he had last week against Cleveland.

Denver over KC is another pick I like-- though that is a big rivalry game. If KC is gonna get up for any more games this year, they will likely get up for Denver.

Ya'll know I hate road teams but New England, coming off a stinker, is at Seattle. The Seahawks are not good. This one is tempting.

In the other pool, I could still take Minnesota over Detroit. Can Detroit go DEFEATED on the season? It is one of the great storylines left in the NFL.

I could also take Arizona over St. Louis in this pool. Arizona is a fraud, IMO-- except when they play teams from their division. They are in the worst division in football and it ain't even close.

--Jason "lots of choices this week-- I have never split my pick between the two pools... should I start now?" Evans

EarlJam
12-02-2008, 01:48 PM
I hit on Baltimore, so I am still alive in the first pool where I am running a 12 week streak. Sweet!! I cannot fathom making it to the end of the season though as I am really running out of good teams to take.

I've got a lot of good choices available this week though--

San Diego over Oakland is interesting and might be the only way I would pick San Diego.

Indy over Cincy is available to me and very tempting. Indy is in a playoff race and I have a hard time seeing Peyton have another game as bad as the one he had last week against Cleveland.

Denver over KC is another pick I like-- though that is a big rivalry game. If KC is gonna get up for any more games this year, they will likely get up for Denver.

Ya'll know I hate road teams but New England, coming off a stinker, is at Seattle. The Seahawks are not good. This one is tempting.

In the other pool, I could still take Minnesota over Detroit. Can Detroit go DEFEATED on the season? It is one of the great storylines left in the NFL.

I could also take Arizona over St. Louis in this pool. Arizona is a fraud, IMO-- except when they play teams from their division. They are in the worst division in football and it ain't even close.

--Jason "lots of choices this week-- I have never split my pick between the two pools... should I start now?" Evans

Jason,

FWIW, I too picked Baltimore this week. The boys served us well. I agree that picking San Diego this week is likely a good pick, however, I'm going with Green Bay. They are at home this week and need a win badly. I forget who they are playing but they're not that good.

-EJ

sue71, esq
12-03-2008, 02:50 AM
BTTT.

Who is Cutcliffe's Cripplers? Don't forget to make your pick.

blazindw
12-15-2008, 11:28 AM
I'd like to thank Washington for going to Failtown this week and dragging me along for the ride.

Last time I'll ever support the Skins.

JasonEvans
12-15-2008, 12:14 PM
We are virtually certain to not have a winner by the end of the regular season -- though teams sometimes do crazy things late in the year when games do not matter.

Should we continue into the playoffs picking playoff games? It would be unfair, with the limited number of games, to not let folks pick a team for a second time. We could try to do it here on the board with everyone posting their picks. There are only a few of us left.

-Jason

Lavabe
12-15-2008, 12:54 PM
I'd like to thank Washington for going to Failtown this week and dragging me along for the ride.

Last time I'll ever support the Skins.

Been there, done that!!:rolleyes:

sue71, esq
12-15-2008, 01:25 PM
College bowls start soon... Jason, does Yahoo do a Bowl Survivor pool? Is that something anyone would be interested in?

blazindw
12-15-2008, 01:55 PM
They don't do college bowl survivor, but they do bowl pick'em.

DukieInKansas
12-15-2008, 05:49 PM
Whoo Hoo - Carl Peterson resigned today. I will give the kc chefs a capital letter back - they are now the Kc chefs.

sue71, esq
12-15-2008, 05:57 PM
Whoo Hoo - Carl Peterson resigned today. I will give the kc chefs a capital letter back - they are now the Kc chefs.

LOL. The end of that game was insane.

DukieInKansas
12-15-2008, 05:59 PM
LOL. The end of that game was insane.

The chefs have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory more than once this year. Yesterday was probably the most dramatic.

sue71, esq
12-15-2008, 06:07 PM
The chefs have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory more than once this year. Yesterday was probably the most dramatic.

The chefs were going after that L wholeheartedly.

JasonEvans
12-16-2008, 11:14 AM
I just want to point out that with the Eagles victory last night I am still alive in the long since defunct survivor pool that started at the beginning of the year. I have now picked -- count em -- 14 consecutive winners and have not picked the same team twice. I am in awe of myself ;)

I wish we had started with week one of the season-- I wonder if there is some prize from Yahoo for getting through the entire season unblemished.

Of course, at this point I have pretty much run out of good teams to pick. New Orleans on the road in desperate Detroit is likely my best bet in this pool -- and I am terrified of that game, Nawlins is out of the playoff race and has nothing to play for. It feels like Detroit may be getting closer to being competent and I have a hard time picking anyone to go 0-15. Yikes.

I am also considering NE over Arizona (I think Az is a total fraud, especially on the road, and they are playing for nothing at this point), Miami over KC (though KC is playing better and I am still not sold on Miami), and the Jets over Seattle (this is my favorite pick, I think, though I hate taking road teams-- especially when they travel across the country).

--Jason "Help me people. I gotta stay alive!!" Evans

Bostondevil
12-16-2008, 11:17 AM
Jason, if you think New England is losing at this point, well, you don't know New England. Yes, it's been a rough year, and yes they haven't played up to their usual standards of excellence, but they are winning out. I promise. I wouldn't bet on them to win the Super Bowl and it's extremely iffy that they'll make the playoffs, but they are winning their last two regular season games. That I would put money on.

Bostondevil
12-18-2008, 05:56 PM
I picked the Falcons this week for two reasons, they need it and if they get it they will have 10 wins. That will make me an official genius. ;)

sue71, esq
12-21-2008, 08:24 PM
Effffffffffffff. Frackin Jets. Brett who?

Edit: I blame this on Jason. Because I can. Because he was bragging. I should've changed my pick once he started shooting his mouth off. ;)

JasonEvans
12-21-2008, 10:48 PM
I say we declare BostonDevil the winner. Not only did he go out on a huge limb taking the Falcons this week but he got it right while correctly forecasting the Falcons for a 10-win season. That trumps everything I have done in Survivor football-- no question about it.

I am still alive in the pool we started at the beginning of the year. 15 weeks in a row baby!

-Jason "I hate the Jets!" Evans

sue71, esq
12-21-2008, 11:10 PM
I say we declare BostonDevil the winner. Not only did he go out on a huge limb taking the Falcons this week but he got it right while correctly forecasting the Falcons for a 10-win season. That trumps everything I have done in Survivor football-- no question about it.

I am still alive in the pool we started at the beginning of the year. 15 weeks in a row baby!

-Jason "I hate the Jets!" Evans

Um, BD is a she.

Bostondevil
12-22-2008, 12:01 AM
Thanks Sue. I was hoping we'd be the last two standing. I always like beating the boys. It comes from all that testosterone in my house.

And thanks Jason, I picked the Falcons this week because I didn't have any better options and I wanted to be right about the 10 wins. Plus, Tavaris Jackson started at QB for the Vikings this week, did you know that?

There's still one more week and 3 folks standing though, right? I'm willing to share.

Lavabe
12-22-2008, 12:56 AM
Thanks Sue. I was hoping we'd be the last two standing. I always like beating the boys. It comes from all that testosterone in my house.

And don't forget how Tilly beat a few of us in DBR NASCAR!

Bostondevil
12-22-2008, 02:52 PM
So it's me (RandyMawsome) and wilson (the Steamers) and who? I looked through the thread but maybe I missed it, who is Cutcliffe's Cripplers?

Anyway, congratulations guys. I think picking the second half of the season is easier than the first so, Jason, truly impressive effort.

Deslok
12-23-2008, 11:08 AM
Awhile back I posted my frustrations about a league I'm in where I had the highest scoring team in the league, but in the head to head matchups I was only at .500. Well, I did end up sneaking into the playoffs and won the whole shebang this weekend. Not bad for a team that picked Tom Brady with his first round choice. Of course, it kind of helped when I picked Jay Cutler as my backup QB and my 3 RB picks were Michael Turner, DeAngelo Wlliams, and Matt Forte(by points, the #1,3, 5, and 8 scorers in the league). Ahhh, life is good, and I just felt the need to brag a bit.

toughbuff1
12-23-2008, 05:00 PM
So it's me (RandyMawsome) and wilson (the Steamers) and who? I looked through the thread but maybe I missed it, who is Cutcliffe's Cripplers?

Anyway, congratulations guys. I think picking the second half of the season is easier than the first so, Jason, truly impressive effort.

I'm the Cripplers

JasonEvans
12-24-2008, 12:24 AM
I am not sure if any of you care, but in the first pool we did that I won a long time ago, I am attempting to go undefeated on the season. 16-for-16. The problem is that there are not a lot of teams left to pick. Here are my choices this week--

Green Bay over Detroit
Tampa over Oakland

Nothing else comes close to appealing to me. I mean, I am not gonna take Seattle or St Louis or San Fran to win a game. I could try to pick the winner of the Denver-San Diego or Jets-Miami games too, but that would be very foolish.

So, Tampa or Green Bay? I am leaning toward Tampa -- they are a better team than Green Bay and they need the game to have any hope at a playoff spot. Then again, I actually think Oakland is capable of winning that game and I am far from convinced that Detroit has a win in them at this point.

Tell me what to do... and make it quick ;)

-Jason "you can see my choices here (http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/survival/25610/1/picks)" Evans

YmoBeThere
12-28-2008, 03:55 PM
Pittsburgh winning handily, going down to the wire for the Falcons...

YmoBeThere
12-28-2008, 04:16 PM
Looks like someone went 16 and 0.

JasonEvans
12-28-2008, 05:13 PM
Looks like someone went 16 and 0.

Yup. Thanks for noticing ;)

I had to go with Detroit. The perfect symmetry in them going 0-16 so I could go to 16-0 was just too good to pass.

All 3 players who were alive in the DBR Survivor 2nd chance pool got their games correct this week so we have a 3 way tie. What do you guys want to do about it? Do ya'll want to pick teams in the playoffs next week?

-Jason

CameronBornAndBred
12-28-2008, 06:34 PM
Congrats Jason, pretty incredible run. Most of us couldn't do it in two tries.

Bostondevil
12-29-2008, 02:08 PM

I had to go with Detroit. The perfect symmetry in them going 0-16 so I could go to 16-0 was just too good to pass.

All 3 players who were alive in the DBR Survivor 2nd chance pool got their games correct this week so we have a 3 way tie. What do you guys want to do about it? Do ya'll want to pick teams in the playoffs next week?

-Jason

Sure, I've done the Falcons, the Eagles, the Steelers, do I have any playoff teams left? That might be a problem. But I'm game.

Bostondevil
12-29-2008, 02:11 PM
I just checked, the guys have each picked 6 playoff teams already. I've picked 7. We could do it, I think, there are only 4 rounds but we might have trouble if certain teams lose.

TillyGalore
12-29-2008, 02:17 PM
Congratulations Bostondevil! Glad to see another DBR Babe win a fantasy league.

toughbuff1
12-29-2008, 05:21 PM

-Jason

Sounds good to me!

JasonEvans
12-30-2008, 02:49 PM
Sure, I've done the Falcons, the Eagles, the Steelers, do I have any playoff teams left? That might be a problem. But I'm game.

As the very unofficial commissioner of this exercise, here is how we will break the 3-team tie.

Your previous picks are reset and all playoff teams are now available... but you may only pick a team once for the entire playoffs. So, if you take the Giants in the next round and they win you are not allowed to pick them next week.

In case you are wondering, yes, this does mean that you could make it to the Super Bowl and not have a team left to pick. If that happens... you lose. Sorry. Plan your picks accordingly.

The 3 remaining participants left should post their picks in this thread before 3pm on Saturday. If you do not post here with your pick by then, you are OUT!

Any confusion? I think this makes perfect sense but let me know if you have any questions.

Good luck!!

--Jason "there can be only one!!" Evans

toughbuff1
12-30-2008, 03:00 PM
I have to go with my hometown team. Go Ravens!!!

Bostondevil
12-30-2008, 04:15 PM
Who else? The Falcons! Go Falcons!

(By the way, I'm a former Falcon myself, a Jordan Falcon.)

Bostondevil
12-30-2008, 04:23 PM
Just making sure it's clear, I'm picking the Atlanta Falcons to win in the first weekend of the playoffs.

YmoBeThere
12-31-2008, 08:46 AM
(By the way, I'm a former Falcon myself, a Jordan Falcon.)

You are Jordanian?;)

Bostondevil
12-31-2008, 10:55 AM
You are Jordanian?;)

Well, graduate of notorious (Durham) Jordan High School! Go Falcons!