PDA

View Full Version : Are you dressing up for Halloween this year?

sue71, esq
10-27-2008, 01:41 AM
If so, what are you dressing up as? Please post pictures on/after Friday! Bonus points for the most accurate Earl Jam depiction! :eek::p

YmoBeThere
10-27-2008, 07:12 AM
Not I, even as a child I was never a big fan of the event. I enjoyed the candy, but the costume thing never appealed to me.

devildeac
10-27-2008, 08:11 AM
If so, what are you dressing up as? Please post pictures on/after Friday! Bonus points for the most accurate Earl Jam depiction! :eek::p

I don't have a cow costume.

CameronBornAndBred
10-27-2008, 08:37 AM
I love dressing up, but this year I'll be at mom's house in the Va. mountains, far away from any signs of civilization. (but only 1 1/2 away from Wake!)
My stepkids will probably dress up and pass out candy.

Lavabe
10-27-2008, 08:42 AM
About how long should I be out there, doling out candy? When should it begin? When should it end?

We seem to have moved into a community where every third house has lights, over-inflated humungo lawn ornaments, ghosts, and other decorations.

Given that it's a Friday night, what should one expect?

Cheers,
Lavabe

colchar
10-27-2008, 10:00 AM
I won't be dressing up. I just don't do Halloween as I think it is kind of dumb.

wilson
10-27-2008, 11:26 AM
I'll be dressing up because a) there's a party at my house, and b) the ladies dig it (seriously...they have no time for a dude who doesn't bother to dress up, especially when, as this year, Halloween falls on a Friday). In recent years, I have either not dressed up at all or endeavored to incorporate my beard into my ensemble. Last year, I was Teen Wolf. The entire costume cost me about $3.50, and it went over splendidly. This year, I will be Papa Smurf, which will cost a bit more but (I hope) go over just as splendidly. Pics to follow.

blazindw
10-27-2008, 11:27 AM
I have my costume ready to go...the question is whether I will be in town to have fun, as I may be going to Albuquerque on business (far away from anyone I know). Hopefully my trip can be delayed so I can dress up, cuz I spent money on my costume, I wanna wear it!

CathyCA
10-27-2008, 11:50 AM
I'm not dressing up this year, but my kid wants to dress up as the Grim Reaper (again--3rd year in a row--but we're in a new town, so no one here will know that he's done it before), and his complete costume didn't arrive in my wardrobe boxes that I got this past week. The sycthe and his sword arrived, but not the robe. So, I'm off to a costume store this afternoon to find yet another Grim Reaper robe.

Lavabe
10-27-2008, 12:25 PM
Does anyone remember trick-or-treating for UNICEF?

Cheers,
Lavabe

Turk
10-27-2008, 12:31 PM
Does anyone remember trick-or-treating for UNICEF?

Cheers,
Lavabe

They still hand out the UNICEF change boxes in this part of PA. The young Turks usually take them around the neighborhood, and I'd guess there is 10-15% participation in grades 1-5. Funny enough I don't ever remember seeing them as a kid, so I suppose it varies by location...

wilson
10-27-2008, 12:35 PM
We always got the UNICEF boxes too, but I confess that I never carried mine around the neighborhood.

devildeac
10-27-2008, 02:49 PM
I'm going as a throatybeard.

I thought you'd go as a Schlafly's Pumpkin (ale) or a Raspberry Tart;).

Johnboy
10-27-2008, 05:30 PM
We'll be on the 4pm ferry to Ocracoke (http://www.ncdot.org/transit/ferry/routes/schedule/route004.html) this year to attend a wedding this weekend. There's a huge group of families from our town going to the wedding (with kids), so we're going to have "Trick or Trunk" on the 2 hour 40 minute ferry ride, with kids going from car to car for candy. We're bringing some cleaned-out pumpkins to carve. Adults and kids alike will be in costume and we're going to have a grand old time, weather permitting.

I'm looking forward to it. I'll be going as vampire, Dracula style, with cape and teeth.

cato
10-27-2008, 05:43 PM
I'll be going as vampire, Dracula style, with cape and teeth.

Just to clarify, you are going to be in Blackbeard's old stomping grounds, on Halloween, actually out on the water, and you won't be dressed as a pirate.

For this grievous offense, you will be stripped of your honorary pirate title. Please return your eye-patch and pirate scowl ASAP.

Johnboy
10-27-2008, 05:52 PM
Just to clarify, you are going to be in Blackbeard's old stomping grounds, on Halloween, actually out on the water, and you won't be dressed as a pirate.

For this grievous offense, you will be stripped of your honorary pirate title. Please return your eye-patch and pirate scowl ASAP.

Hmm. There's time to change my costume . . . or maybe I can be a vampire Pirate . . .

OZZIE4DUKE
10-27-2008, 05:53 PM
We'll be going to our usual Friday Night Crash at our club and they said to come in costume. Maybe I'll go in my birthday suit and streak! Well, maybe not.

DukieInKansas
10-28-2008, 12:26 AM
I thought you'd go as a Schlafly's Pumpkin (ale) or a Raspberry Tart;).

I thought EarlJam had the Tart costume this year?

I won't be dressing up - and probably won't get any trick or treaters either. Kids don't seem to come to our neighborhood.

Turk
10-28-2008, 04:27 PM
Looks like it won't happen for me. I have a hard time coming up with good ideas - I get one about every 10 years or so. The last one was in 2005 after Katrina. I got some scuba flippers, a snorkel mask, and wrote "FEMA Building Inspector" on a rain poncho. That went over pretty well.

Actually a lipstick pig mask might work this year.... Either that or maybe try to expand my transgender horizons as a hockey "mom"... Hmmm....

Decisions, decisions....

Rich
10-29-2008, 01:41 PM
I have a dilemma and would like your input. I am going to a Halloween party this year and plan to go as Ben Wallace from his Detroit Pistons days because (1) I have an authentic NBA Detroit Pistons sweatsuit and jersey, (2) I have a fake, big afro, and (3) I'm a short, 40 year old white guy so I thought it would be amusing. In order to complete the outfit I would like to paint my face dark brown, but my wife is totally against it. She says it's racist and likely to offend some people at the party. Her girlfriends seem to agree with her, but none of their husbands see it as being offensive because I'm just trying to imitate Ben Wallace as much as I can. What do you think? Offensive/racist to paint face brown or not?

DukieInKansas
10-29-2008, 01:54 PM
I would vote no skin paint. Since you are short - as opposed to his tall, I would go with your natural skin color - as opposed to his darker skin tones.

blazindw
10-29-2008, 03:52 PM
I have a dilemma and would like your input. I am going to a Halloween party this year and plan to go as Ben Wallace from his Detroit Pistons days because (1) I have an authentic NBA Detroit Pistons sweatsuit and jersey, (2) I have a fake, big afro, and (3) I'm a short, 40 year old white guy so I thought it would be amusing. In order to complete the outfit I would like to paint my face dark brown, but my wife is totally against it. She says it's racist and likely to offend some people at the party. Her girlfriends seem to agree with her, but none of their husbands see it as being offensive because I'm just trying to imitate Ben Wallace as much as I can. What do you think? Offensive/racist to paint face brown or not?

I would strongly urge you not to do skin paint. The point will be made with the rest of the apparel you will be wearing.

I do applaud your costume, though. Big Ben Wallace fan, especially when he was on my Pistons.

Jfrosh
10-29-2008, 03:53 PM
No, no, no, absolutely no paint. Being a short white guy will make it funnier, don't risk offending anyone.

DukieInKansas
10-29-2008, 06:34 PM
Costume suggestion that I found online that made me laugh: Wear the shirt from a Superman costume - the one with the fake muscles if you don't have your own - and then dress up like Chuck Norris - jeans, boots, Texas Rangers badge, and leave your shirt unbuttoned enough to show the top of the S - Even Superman dresses like Chuck Norris for Halloween.

Even better for this crowd - dress like Patrick Davidson over the Superman shirt. :D

sue71, esq
11-02-2008, 07:50 PM
Ok all who donned a costume- pictures please. :D

Wilson, I know you must have some. Help get the ball rolling! ;)

ForeverBlowingBubbles
11-03-2008, 09:40 AM
From Scrubs, I was JD and got my best black bud to be Turk...

bjornolf
11-03-2008, 06:17 PM
I went as Mr. Incredible this year. Got the "i" shirt from my wife a couple years ago. Added the mask, black tights, and boots. Even bleached my hair and eyebrows blonde. My wife went as a banana, one son had a GREAT Luigi costume, my other son went as a pumpkin for the third year in a row (he just LOVES that costume...wears it year-round), and my daughter went as a flower. Here's the pic:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3053/2991744719_37df110c0d.jpg?v=0

We went to my parents' again this year in Fairfax Station, VA. They get a couple hundred a year (there record, in 2003, was 428). This year, there were several married adult couples (separate, not a group), in costume, no kids, trick or treating. What's up with that? They were all foreigners, most from Western Europe. Is anyone familiar with this phenomenon?

DukieInKansas
11-03-2008, 06:40 PM
I went as Mr. Incredible this year. Got the "i" shirt from my wife a couple years ago. Added the mask, black tights, and boots. Even bleached my hair and eyebrows blonde. My wife went as a banana, one son had a GREAT Luigi costume, my other son went as a pumpkin for the third year in a row (he just LOVES that costume...wears it year-round), and my daughter went as a flower. Here's the pic:

We went to my parents' again this year in Fairfax Station, VA. They get a couple hundred a year (there record, in 2003, was 428). This year, there were several married adult couples (separate, not a group), in costume, no kids, trick or treating. What's up with that? They were all foreigners, most from Western Europe. Is anyone familiar with this phenomenon?

Cute!

No, I'm not familiar with adults in costume w/o kids, but I've thought about trick-or-treating for alcholol. Was that what they were after?

bjornolf
11-04-2008, 11:57 AM
No. Just candy. However, one of my favorite radio shows here in DC used to send out one of their lackeys in a costume with a microphone and a red wagon to trick or treat for beer at like 2:00 in the afternoon on Halloween. Peoples' reactions to him were hilarious.

TillyGalore
11-04-2008, 03:30 PM

Where is the pic of you in your tights? Inquiring minds want to see. ;)

DukieInKansas
11-04-2008, 03:38 PM

What Tilly said. :D

TillyGalore
11-04-2008, 03:41 PM
What Tilly said. :D

Strength in numbers.

Great minds think alike. :eek:

devildeac
11-04-2008, 03:41 PM

His name is NOT EarlJam;).

TillyGalore
11-04-2008, 03:42 PM
His name is NOT EarlJam;).

I've already seen EarlJam in tights. Not pretty!

Rich
11-05-2008, 09:08 AM
Pretty convincing, huh?

DukieInKansas
11-05-2008, 09:48 AM
Pretty convincing, huh?

Except for the smile, you could be twins. ;)

sue71, esq
11-05-2008, 09:52 AM
Almost like Ahhhhnold & Danny DeVito... :p