PDA

View Full Version : What is the best thing about Philadelphia?

EarlJam
10-26-2008, 11:20 PM
Vote.

DevilAlumna
10-26-2008, 11:26 PM
Boathouse Row at night.

(Can't get image inserted properly - pic here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Boathouse_Row_at_night.JPG)

hughgs
10-26-2008, 11:37 PM
Soft pretzels after the games. Good for breakfast for the next couple of days.

sue71, esq
10-27-2008, 12:30 AM
Soft pretzels after the games. Good for breakfast for the next couple of days.

Amen.

Lavabe
10-27-2008, 02:32 AM
I voted steak sandwich, but was looking for ...

TASTYKAKE:D:D

brevity
10-27-2008, 03:36 AM
Missing option: it's always sunny there.

YmoBeThere
10-27-2008, 07:14 AM
Another missing option: Greatest fans ever

devildeac
10-27-2008, 08:16 AM

Yea, my attempt at soliciting Tastykake phavorites never went very phar on the longest thread ever a phew months back:o:(.

devildeac
10-27-2008, 08:16 AM

Chortle, chortle.

Or perhaps that should be "very phunny, Ymo."

And BTW, it's "phans." :>)

Lavabe
10-27-2008, 08:21 AM
Who is Benjiman Franklin?

FWIW, I'll vote for KRIMPETS.:D

devildeac
10-27-2008, 08:30 AM
Chocolate (or coconut) Juniors.

CameronBornAndBred
10-27-2008, 08:41 AM
The bell that says "Ring here for service"

DukeUsul
10-27-2008, 09:49 AM
The drunken revelry that is the Mummers Parade (http://images.google.com/images?q=mummers parade).

ETA: Tastycake butterscotch krimpets are a close second. My mom used to always give me a pack after every dentist appointment as a kid.

killerleft
10-27-2008, 09:55 AM
W.C. Fields said, "I once spent a year in Philadelphia. I think it was on a Sunday."

DukeUsul
10-27-2008, 09:59 AM
Repeat after me: "Nobody bakes a cake as tasty as a Tastycake..... (tasycake).... Nobody bakes..."

jimbonelson
10-27-2008, 10:52 AM
best steak subs imho:)

riverside6
10-27-2008, 10:59 AM
Missing option: it's always sunny there.

ding ding ding, we have a winner! I was looking for that poll option as well.

devildeac
10-27-2008, 11:06 AM
W.C. Fields said, "I once spent a year in Philadelphia. I think it was on a Sunday."

I think he entered a contest once and won first prize: a week in Philadelphia. Second prize was two weeks in Philadelphia.

dpslaw
10-27-2008, 11:18 AM
The best thing about Philadelphia used to be Big Five tripleheaders at the Palestra.

juise
10-27-2008, 11:19 AM
I've been an Eagles fan since I first saw Randall Cunningham in my youth.

BD80
10-27-2008, 11:28 AM

Why was Randall in your youth?

Best thing about Filly? It's in the same state as Pittsburgh!

devildeac
10-27-2008, 11:32 AM
best steak subs imho:)

Visited Philadelphia last summer for a wedding and planned an excursion to Pat's or Geno's but after talking to a cousin who lives there and whose hubby owns a bar/restaurant, we went to Jim's at 4th and South instead. She said the others were too "touristy" and did not live up to their reps. Good move. Line out the door but worth the wait for one of the best cheese steaks I've ever consumed. Grilled/sauteed onions (standard) with green/sweet peppers and mushrooms added with provolone. MMMMM! Just to be open minded and for taste-testing purposes, my wife had hers with no 'shrooms but had peppers and american cheese. My daughter's had no onions (she hates 'em) but had american cheese. All were delicious. I've never had Pat's or Geno's so no comments here. The D'Amoroso (sp?) rolls make these creations legendary.

Sami's in Smithfield, adjoining the Savannah gas station/convenience mart in front of the ginormous JR outlet, also makes a great cheese steak. Right, OZZIE:D?

CathyCA
10-27-2008, 11:44 AM
Cheesesteak sandwiches. YUM!

Lavabe
10-27-2008, 12:22 PM

Now I feel VERY old.

Does anyone else remember the end of Roman Gabriel's career, when he played with the Eagles?

UGH!!

Cheers,
Lavabe

DukeUsul
10-27-2008, 12:38 PM
Yup Jim's on South is one of the best. Tony Lukes is great too.

The Amoroso's rolls make the sandwich. People here in NC don't understand when I complain about the rolls served up aroudn here. Whenever we travel back home I like to stop at a WaWa and pick up a package of Amoroso's rolls and some Tastycakes.

Oh another thing that's great about Philly. WaWa. Sheetz can suck it.

devildeac
10-27-2008, 01:01 PM

Ha, I remember my dad taking me to see them play at Franklin Field and watching Sonny, Norm VanBrocklin, Tommy McDonald and Chuck Bednarik play. Now that's old!

throatybeard
10-27-2008, 02:30 PM
The architecture, the traditional neighborhood development, and the relative abundance of German beer for an east coast city. Oh, and the Quaker heritage.

BlueDevilBaby
10-27-2008, 02:37 PM
Being a NY sports fan, that Philly hasn't won a championship in anything in several years. Hopefully that won't change any time soon.;)

RainingThrees
10-27-2008, 02:43 PM
Rocky all day specifically the statue.

jimsumner
10-27-2008, 03:53 PM
Shouldn't Elton Brand be an option?

BlueDevilBaby
10-27-2008, 03:57 PM
Shouldn't Elton Brand be an option?

I change my response effective immediately to concur with Mr. Sumner!

dukemomLA
10-27-2008, 05:50 PM
There's actually a lot to like about Philly. (...excuse me, if I disagree that their thuglike fans are one of them).. Hey...spoken from a NY/Joisey gal.

Pat's, Gino's Jim's T.Lukes -- all great. It depends on how you like your meat cut, and whether wit or witout.

As someone who counts cheese steaks as one of her favorite foods -- it took me many, many....many attempts to find something comparable in L.A. Finally found a good match. Thank you God.

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-27-2008, 06:14 PM
Pork Roll... mmmmm.

Turk
10-27-2008, 06:34 PM
1A: Sammiches (both kinds: cheesesteaks and Italian roast pork)
1B: The Palestra (just needs to be around 3/4 full for the place to rock and to get the basketball gods interested enough to dispense a little magic)
1C: The soon-to-be-razed Spectrum, especially March 28, 1992. (hint - has nothing to do with BBQ)...

Tastykakes are good, but they're not worth slobbering over, IMHO...

Lavabe
10-27-2008, 07:39 PM

Sacrilege!

devildeac
10-27-2008, 10:36 PM
1A: Sammiches (both kinds: cheesesteaks and Italian roast pork)
1B: The Palestra (just needs to be around 3/4 full for the place to rock and to get the basketball gods interested enough to dispense a little magic)
1C: The soon-to-be-razed Spectrum, especially March 28, 1992. (hint - has nothing to do with BBQ)...

I don't exactly slobber but when I have the chance, I'll buy a package or two. They are a tradition in my family and there are many other baked goods I prefer, but many varieties are simply enjoyable with a cold glass of milk to kindle pleasant childhood memories. Sigh.

dukemomLA
10-28-2008, 01:02 AM
"Pork roll" -- better known as Taylor Ham is sacred! But...I confess that I consider it more of a Jersey thing than Philly. YUMMMMM.

I've only found one place in L.A. to get it: the "famous" Farmer's Market on Fairfax, but thanks to the days of the internet, I can order it online.

Makes my heart sing.

YmoBeThere
10-28-2008, 07:28 AM
Yet again, my sarcasm has only been mildly effective.

DukeUsul
10-28-2008, 08:46 AM
"Pork roll" -- better known as Taylor Ham is sacred! But...I confess that I consider it more of a Jersey thing than Philly. YUMMMMM.

I've only found one place in L.A. to get it: the "famous" Farmer's Market on Fairfax, but thanks to the days of the internet, I can order it online.

Makes my heart sing.

I always loved pork roll day at our school cafeteria. Yum! Go South Jersey!

Turk
10-28-2008, 12:10 PM
Wait, this is a Philadelphia thread and no mention of scrapple so far? One of the Philly people should post something on the recipe thread.

I don't get the whole Mummers thing either. I'm told there's even a Mummer's museum. eeew. I have a hard time getting behind the concept of getting drunk and then getting dressed up in sequins and feathers on Halloween, let alone New Years Day.

devildeac
10-28-2008, 12:34 PM
Wait, this is a Philadelphia thread and no mention of scrapple so far? One of the Philly people should post something on the recipe thread.

I don't get the whole Mummers thing either. I'm told there's even a Mummer's museum. eeew. I have a hard time getting behind the concept of getting drunk and then getting dressed up in sequins and feathers on Halloween, let alone New Years Day.

1. I HATE scrapple. Too many pig parts. (no offense to your beautiful [:rolleyes:] avatar)
2. Have you actually gotten dressed up in sequins and feathers on Halloween after imbibing large quantities of two carbon fragments:eek:?

BD80
10-28-2008, 12:52 PM

You mean the fans that are heckling babies and throwing mustard at Joe Maddon's granddaughter?

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/20081028_Rays_fans_complain_of_treatment_at_ballpa rk.html

The baby was probably dumb enough to dress as Santa Claus.

Turk
10-28-2008, 12:54 PM
1. I HATE scrapple. Too many pig parts. (no offense to your beautiful [:rolleyes:] avatar)
2. Have you actually gotten dressed up in sequins and feathers on Halloween after imbibing large quantities of two carbon fragments:eek:?

DDeac -

I've never tried scrapple, so I wouldn't know... I can't see how it would be an improvement on sausage, though...

I guess that was sloppy writing on my part - I have such a hard time even thinking about it, that I've never acted it out... Every now and then I trip over a Mummers clip on TV, and all I can ask is "What were they thinking?!?"

Perhaps the native "Philluphians" can edumicate me a little?

BTW, I think I'll keep the avatar until the election...

The Gordog
10-28-2008, 01:27 PM
Vote.

I voted for the Philly Cheesesteak, but my Dad was from Philly so the contest is really for second place to my way of thinking.

And I do remember Roman Gabriel, played arounf the time of Johnny Unitas if memory serves.

killerleft
10-28-2008, 01:51 PM
I remember Roman Gabriel! Italian, right?:rolleyes: Seriously, I certainly remember him as quarterback of the LA Rams, and that he quarterbacked at NC State. Played against my hero and Duke grad Sonny Jurgensen!

Question: Who was the only team that could hold Sonny Jurgensen to less than 250 yards passing? Answer: Duke (and Coach Bill Murray)!

devildeac
10-28-2008, 02:02 PM
You mean the fans that are heckling babies and throwing mustard at Joe Maddon's granddaughter?

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/20081028_Rays_fans_complain_of_treatment_at_ballpa rk.html

The baby was probably dumb enough to dress as Santa Claus.

Or as Mike Schmidt:o.

devildeac
10-28-2008, 02:06 PM
DDeac -

I've never tried scrapple, so I wouldn't know... I can't see how it would be an improvement on sausage, though...

I guess that was sloppy writing on my part - I have such a hard time even thinking about it, that I've never acted it out... Every now and then I trip over a Mummers clip on TV, and all I can ask is "What were they thinking?!?"

Perhaps the native "Philluphians" can edumicate me a little?

BTW, I think I'll keep the avatar until the election...

IIRC, many, MANY years ago I read the ingredients of a package of scrapple that my mother had "lovingly" prepared for a family meal. I swore, that I'd starve before I ever ate that vile substance again.:(

CathyCA
10-28-2008, 02:09 PM
I remember Roman Gabriel! Italian, right?:rolleyes: Seriously, I certainly remember him as quarterback of the LA Rams, and that he quarterbacked at NC State. Played against my hero and Duke grad Sonny Jurgensen!

Question: Who was the only team that could hold Sonny Jurgensen to less than 250 yards passing? Answer: Duke (and Coach Bill Murray)!

Both Sonny Jurgensen and Roman Gabriel graduated from my high school: New Hanover High School in Wilmington. They both played high school football under the tutelage of the legendary Coach Leon Brogden.

Indoor66
10-28-2008, 03:16 PM

But Jurgensen did get to QB in the Orange Bowl!

DukieInKansas
10-28-2008, 03:28 PM
The best thing about Philly is that it is closer to 30% of my nieces and nephews than Kansas but that wasn't an option.

It was also a gateway to two wonderful European vactiaons - also not an option.

I have no real experience with the options so I didn't vote.

jimsumner
10-28-2008, 04:23 PM
Roman Gabriel is of Filipino ancestry, although that didn't stop Hollywood from casting him as an Apache.

When I got back from the b-b game Saturday, I had a message on my machine. It was a Robo-call from Roman Gabriel inviting me to a McCain Victory Rally in Fayetteville sometime this week. Inasmuch as I have been a registered Democrat since 1971 and have never done, said, or written anything that would remotely suggest that I would be receptive to such a call, I found it amusing. Nothing like getting the other side to squander their resources.

But I digress. RG actually seems like a nice guy.

Turk
10-28-2008, 04:39 PM
IIRC, many, MANY years ago I read the ingredients of a package of scrapple that my mother had "lovingly" prepared for a family meal. I swore, that I'd starve before I ever ate that vile substance again.:(

Here's what Wiki says (NSFFS - Not Suitable For Full Stomach). Yuck.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrapple

Yes, hot dogs and sausage are made out of the same stuff. Yes, that makes me a hypocrite with double standards. I don't care. (I won't say "sue me" - made that mistake once - too many lawyers on DBR!!) :eek::eek: And I bet someone could pass it off as sausage if they were in a diner at 2AM after a night on the town....

P.S. Veggie scrapple?!? Someone is making that up, right?

DukeUsul
10-28-2008, 08:43 PM

Hmmm.... so I guess I shouldn't post any pictures of myself in sequins......

Ben63
10-28-2008, 10:06 PM

Wait?!? I'm confused. Tastykake's are not national? I live in South Central PA and have always seen Tastykakes. So you are telling me they dont exist everywhere??:eek::eek: What a travesty. I had no idea. I feel bad for all of you out of range of obtaining Tastykakes on a daily basis.

Lavabe
10-28-2008, 10:17 PM
Wait?!? I'm confused. Tastykake's are not national? I live in South Central PA and have always seen Tastykakes. So you are telling me they dont exist everywhere??:eek::eek: What a travesty. I had no idea. I feel bad for all of you out of range of obtaining Tastykakes on a daily basis.
Thanks.:(

We could get them in northern New Jersey. Here in Kentucky, no earthly way. In Atlanta, no earthly way.

Besides, the further away you go, the less fresh the 'kakes get. You also run across HOSTESS/DollyMadison/Entemanns territories.

HOWEVER, thanks to the miracle of the internets, you can order them direct from Philly.

Cheers,
Lavabe

devildeac
10-28-2008, 11:34 PM
Here's what Wiki says (NSFFS - Not Suitable For Full Stomach). Yuck.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrapple

Yes, hot dogs and sausage are made out of the same stuff. Yes, that makes me a hypocrite with double standards. I don't care. (I won't say "sue me" - made that mistake once - too many lawyers on DBR!!) :eek::eek: And I bet someone could pass it off as sausage if they were in a diner at 2AM after a night on the town....

P.S. Veggie scrapple?!? Someone is making that up, right?

That's even worse than I remember:eek:.

devildeac
10-28-2008, 11:36 PM
Thanks.:(

We could get them in northern New Jersey. Here in Kentucky, no earthly way. In Atlanta, no earthly way.

Besides, the further away you go, the less fresh the 'kakes get. You also run across HOSTESS/DollyMadison/Entemanns territories.

HOWEVER, thanks to the miracle of the internets, you can order them direct from Philly.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Saw them at Jersey Mike's yesterday. Ymm, Tastykakes:D.

Lavabe
10-29-2008, 12:25 AM
Saw them at Jersey Mike's yesterday. Ymm, Tastykakes:D.

Well yeah, Jersey Mike's will do it... unfortunately, I've had bad experiences at Jersey Mike's.

captmojo
10-29-2008, 07:40 AM
Well, it ain't scrapple!

I think the best thing about the city is that when you approach the airport from the south, you don't have to go into the city. :cool:

Roman Gabriel is a friend of mine. I have a cherished possession of an LA Rams helmet, turned into a lamp, that is autographed by him, a gift for the accomplishment of a birthday. A very accessible fellow, he resides in Myrtle Beach.

budwom
10-29-2008, 09:28 AM
Yup Jim's on South is one of the best. Tony Lukes is great too.

The Amoroso's rolls make the sandwich. People here in NC don't understand when I complain about the rolls served up aroudn here. Whenever we travel back home I like to stop at a WaWa and pick up a package of Amoroso's rolls and some Tastycakes.

Oh another thing that's great about Philly. WaWa. Sheetz can suck it.

Precisely! The Amoroso roll is the reason that you can't duplicate a real Philly cheesesteak elsewhere. The meat, cheese (Whiz preferred) and onions are easy...the Amoroso roll is absolutely irreplaceable. In 1982 Clark DeLeon of the Philadephia Inquirer wrote a column about me because a friend and I made a big stained glass cheesesteak to honor this splendid sandwich. It was the least we could do.

Gotta put plugs in for the Italian Market (incredible food place, one of the best in the entire country), Jim's, and the cheap seats at the old Vet.
Regarding scrapple (which is a wonderful thing): it has a direct cousin in some of the old North Carolina products...there is or was a company called Garrard's (spelling?) which made Souse Meat and C-Loaf.

Both contained pork lips, ears, and snouts...and of course liver, which is often the predominant flavor of scrapple (along with nice spices).

To those who choose to sneer at scrapple ingredients, I can only say that they're absolutely no worse than what's in the typical, even upscale, hotdog. It's definitely not pork tenderloin.

Lavabe
10-29-2008, 01:47 PM
Well, it ain't scrapple!

I think the best thing about the city is that when you approach the airport from the south, you don't have to go into the city. :cool:

Roman Gabriel is a friend of mine. I have a cherished possession of an LA Rams helmet, turned into a lamp, that is autographed by him, a gift for the accomplishment of a birthday. A very accessible fellow, he resides in Myrtle Beach.

I think of him foremost as a Ram. The Rams were a fun team to root for back then. His Eagle days sort of remind me of the Chiefs period of Joe Montana's career.

Cheers,
Lavabe

DukieInKansas
10-29-2008, 01:52 PM
I think of him foremost as a Ram. The Rams were a fun team to root for back then. His Eagle days sort of remind me of the Chiefs period of Joe Montana's career.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Oh, to have Joe Montana back in KC! He actually did exactly what he was supposed to do - put people in the seats. Unfortunately, they didn't keep it up and season ticket holders left in droves at the end of last season.

Go Phillies! (just to keep it somewhat on topic)

devildeac
10-29-2008, 10:05 PM
Winning the World Series?

DevilAlumna
10-29-2008, 10:30 PM
a friend and I made a big stained glass cheesesteak to honor this splendid sandwich. It was the least we could do.

Okay, for some reason, this just sings "POTD" for me. That's AWESOME that you have a stained glass tribute to the Cheesteak (sp? Cheese-steak?) sandwich - do you have any pics??

dukemomLA
10-30-2008, 05:00 AM
Awesome. Although I'm a Mets fan -- and was disgusted by their demise, I'm still always a National League fan. So, ....much to my dismay, Kudos to the Phillies. Well deserved.

Lavabe
10-30-2008, 07:04 AM
Awesome. Although I'm a Mets fan -- and was disgusted by their demise, I'm still always a National League fan. So, ....much to my dismay, Kudos to the Phillies. Well deserved.

This was the first year in quite some time that I did not see one ounce of the postseason. However, congrats to the Phillies.

Still waiting for the return of the Broad Street Bullies. In retrospect, Bobby Clarke may have been the best thing about Philadelphia.
http://www.hockeyforum.com/photopost/data/2/1974-75_bobby_clarke_flyers_with_cup.bmp

Cheers,
Lavabe

P.S. Anyone want to post the famous shot of him smiling?

budwom
10-30-2008, 08:43 AM
Okay, for some reason, this just sings "POTD" for me. That's AWESOME that you have a stained glass tribute to the Cheesteak (sp? Cheese-steak?) sandwich - do you have any pics??

Well, I could take a picture of it! Sadly it resides in the basement closet as my wife does not find it of sufficient beauty to be displayed in the living area of the house. It's really nice, it even has the dripping melted cheese...