PDA

View Full Version : Coach G Rally -- Impressions

Cary
03-28-2007, 06:27 PM
There will be a rally for Coach G tomorrow (Thursday) night at 9:00PM (changed to 7:30 - ed) outside the Schwartz-Butters building! Come show your support for Coach G!

throatybeard
03-28-2007, 06:42 PM
I've sticky-ed this to the top of the board.

Mike Corey
03-28-2007, 06:48 PM
Please note that the organizer of the rally, Eric Oberstein'07, has been told that Coach Goestenkors will be in her office around 7:30.

As a result, the start time for the rally has been moved to 7:30 p.m., rather than 9 p.m.

throatybeard
03-28-2007, 09:25 PM
Everybody local please please get your butts there.

One of the problems with the K rally was that, as it was around July 1-4, so many of the kids were out of town.

LetItBD08
03-28-2007, 10:50 PM
Here's the description from facebook from the organizers (This has to be within posting rules):
http://duke.facebook.com/event.php?eid=2257838956

"Gail Goestenkors has built the Duke Women's Basketball program from the ground up, achieving incredible success over the years. ACC Championships, Final Four appearances, you name it. Let's let Coach G know how much we love and appreciate her for all that she's done for the Women's Basketball program at Duke. Come out and show your support to let her know how much she means to our community. Even though other programs around the nation are currently courting her to fill head coach vacancies at their schools, let's let Coach G know how much we want her to be Duke's coach next year and for years to come!

Please come out in your Duke's women's basketball gear at 7:30PM in K-ville to show your support! If you could come out with posters and signs to show your support, that would be great as well. We need as many posters as possible! Help spread the word...word of mouth, e-mails, call your friends...Let's really get a great turnout!"

orrnot
03-28-2007, 11:52 PM
It's a really unfortunate coincidence that this rally conflicts w/the Take Back the Night March scheduled for tomorrow evening. That event starts at 7pm on East and concludes by 10pm at Duke Chapel. If you attend the rally, consider heading toward the Chapel afterward to contribute by your presence.

Mike Corey
03-29-2007, 01:05 AM
Orrnot,

Thanks for bringing that to everyone's attention. That truly is unfortunate. The Take Back the Night March--and particularly, the testimonials that occur at the march's conclusion--are tremendously emotional, and inspirational to any and all in attendance.

~

FWIW, GoDuke has posted a story on tomorrow's rally (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=836175).

devildownunder
03-29-2007, 04:20 AM
So glad to hear this is happening! Could someone who attends please post a recap with attendance, etc?

Thanks!

TillyGalore
03-29-2007, 08:39 AM
I'll be working out a Wilson before the rally and will try to attend. Was going to bring my camera to take pics, but left it at home. :(

If I go I'll post something here.

TillyGalore
03-29-2007, 08:41 AM
For those not local, the rally was announced on the Time Warner cable news channel this morning.

Nice to see we are getting some press that isn't bad.

adam
03-29-2007, 01:33 PM
Here's an article from The Chronicle yesterday about Coach G...
http://media.www.dukechronicle.com/media/storage/paper884/news/2007/03/28/Column/Let-Goestenkors.Know.We.Care-2809260.shtml

And here's one from today (also in The Chronicle) that talks about the rally tonight...
http://media.www.dukechronicle.com/media/storage/paper884/news/2007/03/29/News/Coach.G.Considers.Texas.Opening-2812308.shtml?reffeature=popuarstoriestab

Go Duke!!!

VaDukie
03-29-2007, 08:04 PM
Good crowd there, I'm not great at estimating size but I'd say in the range of 250. Good mix of students and elder folks. Band played some fight songs, Lindsay and Allison both spoke briefly; from their tone (Duke will stay a great program no matter what; I want whats best for Coach G and for this program) it sounds like she may be on her way to Austin. Can't say I blame her with the money they're throwing at her, but it'd be very dissapointing to see her leave Durham without winning the big one (which you know she's due for).

throatybeard
03-29-2007, 08:10 PM
Thanks to everyone who went.

Lord Ash
03-29-2007, 09:00 PM
Uhm, any updates? A play by play would be nice!

TwoDukeTattoos
03-29-2007, 09:05 PM
I was at the rally. By 7:45 there were perhaps a few hundred on hand (I'm really bad at attendance estimations). A few pep band members played. Several news channels were on hand.

Before the "ceremony" began the crowd caught a glimpse of Dawkins walking up the steps, ball in hand, and cheered him on. As Johnny was about to speak, the crowd silenced and he simply said, "stay tuned".

As the crowd continued to call for G, the entire women's team made an appearance, at which time we were informed that G was not on campus but that she appreicates everyone's letters, emails, rally, etc. A few of the women spoke (Waner, Harding, Bales) and echoed G's appreciation.

Paulus and Marty were in the background on crutches (both recently underwent surgery). Free pizza and G-Force bottled water was enjoyed by all who were quick enough to grab some!

Here's to hoping she stays.

Son of Jarhead
03-29-2007, 09:20 PM
This is a cut & paste from an e-mail I sent to the Admins with some pictures (not great quality, I'm afraid). Note: I heard Johnny a little differently.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was a good rally. I’d say a couple/few hundred, maybe, attendees. (I’m not good at judging crowd size.) At least half the Women’s Team came out. Lindsey, Ali, & Abby spoke to the crowd, as did an assistant coach, but I am an idiot and can’t recall her name. (I think she is the top assistant.) Also, Johnny D walked by on his way to his office (from I’d guess playing some ball in Card Gym) and shouted out to the crowd when prompted: “I want her to stay, too!” I also caught a glimpse of Marty (on crutches), Greg (on crutches), & Jon. Some cheers: “There’s no G in UT!” – “Gail is not for sale!” – “Stay, Gail, Stay!”… I hope she does! Go Duke!

Zeke
03-29-2007, 09:26 PM
Not a good sign that she wasn't there. Let's hope, if she leaves, that she made a good decision FOR HER. She seems like a good person and UT will be WAY DIFFERENT than Duke. She could trade more money for less prestige.

godukerocks
03-29-2007, 09:28 PM
Did they say anything specific that made you think G's on her way out??

Truth
03-29-2007, 09:56 PM
Am I having timezone issues, or did you post your "impression" at 7:04pm, approximately 26 minutes before the rally started?

OZZIE4DUKE
03-29-2007, 10:14 PM
Good crowd there, I'm not great at estimating size but I'd say in the range of 250. Good mix of students and elder folks. Band played some fight songs, Lindsay and Allison both spoke briefly; from their tone (Duke will stay a great program no matter what; I want whats best for Coach G and for this program) it sounds like she may be on her way to Austin. Can't say I blame her with the money they're throwing at her, but it'd be very dissapointing to see her leave Durham without winning the big one (which you know she's due for).

From what I read this morning either in the N&O or somewhere linked on the DBR (I forget which), Coach G is making close to $540,000, about twice what I had speculated. If she's already in that range, Texas isn't going to triple, or even double, what she's getting at Duke, and with a reasonable raise, the difference can't be that overwhelming. It'll come down to what does she want to do, not where can she get rich. Just my 2 cents worth of opinion.

bluey
03-29-2007, 10:52 PM
I think there were at least 500, if not close to 1,000 people (but I may be way off). The media was everywhere. Disappointing that G didn't show, but GV and the other assistants were there with most of the team. GV was first to speak followed by Abby. GV said G will make the "tough decision" in a day or two. She also said she is reading all the emails and messages and keep sending them.

Then Christina Johnson phoned Elliot Wolf and said G was in town but exhausted and if he took some photos and sent them she would be sure G saw them. So he did.

bluey
03-29-2007, 11:12 PM
goduke.com reports 300 so I may have overestimated.

VaDukie
03-30-2007, 12:49 AM
I'm in Durham and the posts are in Central Time.

zingit
03-30-2007, 01:12 AM
I had to laugh when some people started chanting, "Go to hell, Texas, go to hell," and I overheard Lindsey Harding say with a smile, "Now, wait a minute, I'm from Texas . . ."

gep
03-30-2007, 01:17 AM
I had to laugh when some people started chanting, "Go to hell, Texas, go to hell," and I overheard Lindsey Harding say with a smile, "Now, wait a minute, I'm from Texas . . ."

Some things are "priceless"

-jk
03-30-2007, 01:17 AM
I'm in Durham and the posts are in Central Time.

You may not be correcting for Daylight Saving Time. I'm presuming your computer has the correct time, so here's how to fix the your BBS setting:

Click the User CP link in the mid-upper, left part of most any BBS screen.

Click Edit Options on the left side

Scroll down to the "Date & Time Options" section and make sure "DST Correction Option:" is set to "Automatically detect DST settings".

-jk

Son of Jarhead
03-30-2007, 01:31 AM
Some of us posted our observations in the earlier thread about the rally which I think is titled "Rally for Coach G - 7:30pm". Should they be merged? Not that I really care, just curious.

Stay Gail, Stay!

VaDukie
03-30-2007, 01:44 AM
Thanks for that jk.

adam
03-30-2007, 02:18 AM
Here's the story from ESPN about the rally...
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=2818216

Go Duke!!

willywoody
03-31-2007, 12:35 AM
The positive publicity that Coach G has brought our school is worth it's weight in gold. Pay Up! She deserves it.

JStuart
03-31-2007, 09:29 AM
Although its a backhanded compliment of sorts, I've been amazed at how little anti-Duke hating/criticism Coach G and her program has produced. I copied this statement below from IC, as an example of the worst comments they have made; most of them use Gail to compare to Coach K, to make Coach K look bad, of course.
If the Athletic department allows her to leave, then we need a new Athletic department. Wher are the Coach G negatives? Are there any?

from today's IC:
It's a total PR move! Keep [duke] in the media while UNC is grabbing the headlines by going to the final four. She's looking for more money and a vice president's job. Can't blame her, she's learned from the best. [duke] PR/propaganda machine is second only to the Nazis. Coach Goebbels would be proud!

throatybeard
03-31-2007, 09:40 AM
Although its a backhanded compliment of sorts, I've been amazed at how little anti-Duke hating/criticism Coach G and her program has produced. I copied this statement below from IC, as an example of the worst comments they have made; most of them use Gail to compare to Coach K, to make Coach K look bad, of course.
If the Athletic department allows her to leave, then we need a new Athletic department. Where are the Coach G negatives? Are there any?

My guess: The sort of fan who rabidly hates coach K and spends all his time posting on the internet about how evil K is isn't in the same demo with people who really care about WBB. You have to really care about something to get insanely worked up about it. G isn't evil because the K-is-evil crowd doesn't care enough [in the aggregate] about WBB.

dukie8
03-31-2007, 12:32 PM
If the Athletic department allows her to leave, then we need a new Athletic department. Wher are the Coach G negatives? Are there any?

from today's IC:
It's a total PR move! Keep [duke] in the media while UNC is grabbing the headlines by going to the final four. She's looking for more money and a vice president's job. Can't blame her, she's learned from the best. [duke] PR/propaganda machine is second only to the Nazis. Coach Goebbels would be proud!

how much anti-duke hating/criticism have the golf, soccer and xc teams produced?