PDA

View Full Version : Awaygate

CameronBornAndBred
10-26-2008, 06:31 PM
Some folks are posting their intentions to be at the Wake game (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12123). I'll be there too. Any chances of any of the brunchgate crowd making it? I'm gonna do some parking research tonite, but I'm planning on getting there 11ish breaking out brews and the lil' grill. Should be an exciting game, and once again an opportunity to win our first ACC road game in hellifiknow how many tries.

devildeac
10-26-2008, 06:47 PM
Some folks are posting their intentions to be at the Wake game (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12123). I'll be there too. Any chances of any of the brunchgate crowd making it? I'm gonna do some parking research tonite, but I'm planning on getting there 11ish breaking out brews and the lil' grill. Should be an exciting game, and once again an opportunity to win our first ACC road game in hellifiknow how many tries.

"Not I," said devildeac because I am on call next weekend:(. Nice stadium however with bad traffic to get there and not much convenient parking. Good luck with awaygating.

CameronBornAndBred
10-26-2008, 06:55 PM
"Not I," said devildeac because I am on call next weekend:(. Nice stadium however with bad traffic to get there and not much convenient parking. Good luck with awaygating.

spoilsport! If there's a will there's Awaygate!

devildeac
10-26-2008, 06:59 PM
spoilsport! If there's a will there's Awaygate!

Clever. Too much trouble to switch workdays, especially weekends. If I did, I might have to work the next Saturday and miss the ncsu game.

CameronBornAndBred
10-26-2008, 07:01 PM
http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/wake/graphics/general-parking-pic.jpg

From WFU's site (http://wakeforestsports.cstv.com/gameday/general-public-parking.html)

"Parking lots will be open at the LJVM Coliseum the morning of the game. Buses, RVs, rental trucks, and trailers will also be directed to the LJVM Coliseum lots. These vehicles will not be allowed to park or drop-off in the BB&T Field lots. General Public Parking in the LJVM lots is $8. Multiple spaces can be purchased if desired. For questions concerning parking at LJVM Coliseum, please call 336-725-5635."

and a parking map
http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/wake/graphics/08-parking-map.jpg

devildeac
10-26-2008, 07:17 PM
http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/wake/graphics/general-parking-pic.jpg

From WFU's site (http://wakeforestsports.cstv.com/gameday/general-public-parking.html)

"Parking lots will be open at the LJVM Coliseum the morning of the game. Buses, RVs, rental trucks, and trailers will also be directed to the LJVM Coliseum lots. These vehicles will not be allowed to park or drop-off in the BB&T Field lots. General Public Parking in the LJVM lots is $8. Multiple spaces can be purchased if desired. For questions concerning parking at LJVM Coliseum, please call 336-725-5635."

and a parking map
http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/wake/graphics/08-parking-map.jpg

I'd get there REAL early. We went to a game a year or two ago, drove around quite a bit trying to circumvent traffic and ended up parking in a church lot about a mile or more from the game and walking by many, many other cars waiting in traffic approaching the stadium.

CameronBornAndBred
10-26-2008, 07:20 PM
I'd get there REAL early. We went to a game a year or two ago, drove around quite a bit trying to circumvent traffic and ended up parking in a church lot about a mile or more from the game and walking by many, many other cars waiting in traffic approaching the stadium.

You remember how early you went? I figure 11 would be ok..4 hours advance.

devildeac
10-26-2008, 07:34 PM

I think we only arrived in the area of the stadium about 90 minutes before kickoff and spent 30 minutes avoiding traffic and 30 minutes walking. Arriving about 11 AM sounds like a good idea-plenty of time for starting a grill and cooking and imbibing;).

aimo
10-27-2008, 11:16 AM

It's been a long time since I've been to a game there, and they've probably changed the parking rules. I would suggest grabbing a Joel Coliseum spot closest to University Parkway as early as possible. You have to walk a bit more, but you can probably get out of traffic sooner. Traffic after events there is always at a standstill, so be prepared. Maybe plan to post-tailgate a little while everyone else leaves.

wilson
10-28-2008, 01:11 AM
Several people have mentioned having bought tickets in the last day or two. Where did y'all get them? I'm looking for at least two, possibly more, as cheap as possible (negotiable of course...I don't care where they are).

Lavabe
10-28-2008, 07:15 AM
Several people have mentioned having bought tickets in the last day or two. Where did y'all get them? I'm looking for at least two, possibly more, as cheap as possible (negotiable of course...I don't care where they are).

If you wind up going to Wake, will you be bringing up a Sweetwater DonkeyP?

CameronBornAndBred
10-28-2008, 08:06 AM

I have 2 extra (only 2) that I got from StubHub long ago. You can have them for face..$17.

allenmurray
10-28-2008, 10:56 AM

Wolfpackdevil got his on stubhub. They had seats from 17 - 28 dollars depending on location.

CameronBornAndBred
10-28-2008, 11:00 AM
I have 2 extra (only 2) that I got from StubHub long ago. You can have them for face..$17.

Nix that...At least one is now spoken for, but PM and I'll let you know if other is still available.

Acymetric
10-29-2008, 04:08 PM
I'll be there! Maybe not as early as 11:00, but definitely early enough for some awaygating. Anyone who's still on the fence...come! Should be a great game and I've heard there is gonna be a good Duke turnout.

wilson
10-29-2008, 04:32 PM
Trying again (sorry for the repeated blasts)...I'm still looking for 2 tix. The cheapest ones currently listed on StubHub are $33. I was hoping to do the ticket and the gas for that...

CathyCA
10-29-2008, 05:04 PM
Trying again (sorry for the repeated blasts)...I'm still looking for 2 tix. The cheapest ones currently listed on StubHub are $33. I was hoping to do the ticket and the gas for that...

Go over to eBay and check out the tickets there.

wilson
10-29-2008, 05:09 PM
Go over to eBay and check out the tickets there.

Good call! Thanks. Hopefully a couple of those work out.

CameronBornAndBred
10-31-2008, 07:47 AM
Heading off to the game (seeing parents in Virginia first). Looking forward to seeing some DBR faces there, if anyone gets there early for some grub and brews give me a shout. PM for cell #. GO DUKE, BEAT WAKE!

allenmurray
10-31-2008, 08:55 AM
Wolfpackdevil and I have tickets to the game. However, my youngest son (wolfpackdevil's younger brother) has a baseball game at noon in Durham.

Obviously wolfpackdevil (who procured the tickets and is a huge Duke football fan) doesn't want to miss the first part of the game. However, allenmurray isn't willing to miss his other son's last Little League regular season game of the Fall season. Quite the dilema.

I'm looking for someone from Durham who might be willing to give wolfpackdevil a ride to the game. I'll be joining him as soon as the baseball game is over and I can get to Winston-Salem (hopefully mid-second quarter).

So, what do you get out of this? The sheer joy of helping a fellow Duke football fan, the entertaining company of wolfpackdevil (I'll bet you a hot dog at the game he knows as much if not more about Duke football than you do),and your gas expenses paid (meaning I'll throw in $20 for gas).

If you are willing to help send me a private message.

Thanks

sue71, esq
11-02-2008, 07:34 PM
Wolfpackdevil and I have tickets to the game. However, my youngest son (wolfpackdevil's younger brother) has a baseball game at noon in Durham.

Obviously wolfpackdevil (who procured the tickets and is a huge Duke football fan) doesn't want to miss the first part of the game. However, allenmurray isn't willing to miss his other son's last Little League regular season game of the Fall season. Quite the dilema.

I'm looking for someone from Durham who might be willing to give wolfpackdevil a ride to the game. I'll be joining him as soon as the baseball game is over and I can get to Winston-Salem (hopefully mid-second quarter).

So, what do you get out of this? The sheer joy of helping a fellow Duke football fan, the entertaining company of wolfpackdevil (I'll bet you a hot dog at the game he knows as much if not more about Duke football than you do),and your gas expenses paid (meaning I'll throw in $20 for gas).

If you are willing to help send me a private message.

Thanks

AM, did it work out for you?

Awaygaters, how was it? I live vicariously through y'all back East in NC and your posts here. :o

CameronBornAndBred
11-02-2008, 08:17 PM
Awaygate was fun, but very small. It consisted of Acymetric and myself, but we parked next to a bunch of other Blue Devil fans. In fact, the folks next to me sported a "GTHC" sticker on their cooler, and are aware that coozies are coming soon. I proudly displayed to them my own "GTHC" on the back of my Durango. Both Acymetric and myself were guessing that the Duke crowd would be excellent inside, and we were not dissapointed, the whole Duke section was awesome.
While in the game, we had one older Duke fan sit next to on one side, and a Wake fan and his family on the other side. The Wake guy really impressed me, and he was good for us in that he could point out their better players and tendencies as the game went on, and we could do likewise. The older Dukie was a lot of fun to talk to, he said he makes it to all the games he can.
Acymetric was great company for the pre-game and game itself. His dad and he park in the Card lot, I encouraged him to come join us at brunchgate for a bit. An impressive young man, with a good head on his shoulders, y'all will enjoy meeting him.

allenmurray
11-02-2008, 11:13 PM
AM, did it work out for you?

I ended up staying in Durham and coaching my youngest son's Little League game (I had planned to watch just the first couple of innings and then slip out, but the other coach couldn't make it at all). So mrsallenmurray and wolfpackdevil went. She had a great time and is now well on her way to becoming a football fan (she has always been a big Bball fan). Getting her on the football band wagon was wellworth missing the game to me.

A big thanks to acymetric who offerred to give wolfpackdevil a ride and to Cameron Born and Bred for the invite to the tailgate. Obviously the ride ended up not being needed, and mrsallenmurray and wolfpackdevil didn't arrive until about 25 minutes before game time, so fine dining was out. But it is nice to know we have such a great group of folks willing to lend a hand.

Lavabe
11-03-2008, 07:33 AM
Good call! Thanks. Hopefully a couple of those work out.

So did you make it to the game? Was the price right?

If you didn't go, what did you do instead?

Will you be at any other 'gates?

Cheers,
Lavabe