PDA

View Full Version : Sagarin Ratings

MChambers
10-26-2008, 11:40 AM
Football, that is. Has Duke ranked 27, having played the 5th best schedule in the country.

Hard to believe, but here it is:

http://www.kiva.net/~jsagarin/sports/cfsend.htm

patentgeek
10-26-2008, 12:24 PM
Duke's strength of schedule (as computed by Sagarin) obviously has a lot to do with the ranking - the lowest ranked team Duke has played is James Madison (ranked 47th), so that's 7 games against teams in the top 47. However, I'm not too convinced about the accuracy of the rankings when I see that Texas's schedule is ranked No. 18 when they've played three Top 10 teams in the last 3 weeks. Nevertheless, the "4-3" in the W-L column next to Duke's name looks nice.

HK Dukie
10-26-2008, 01:09 PM
Always look at the predictor. The Elo Chess method is the politically correct system that only looks at won-loss and schedule. The predictor looks at margin of victory (with diminishing returns).

I always use Sagarin to help out and find good sleepers for the NCAA brackets come March. Basically just find out who has a good shot for final four but who no one is likely picking.

It's good that we are even 31 in football in that statistic. Very pleasing.

cspan37421
10-28-2008, 11:33 PM
we are ranked ahead of

Nebraska
Miami Hurricanes
BYU
Notre Dame
Virginia Tech
Boston College
USC (the one with the ol' ball coach)
Tennessee
Auburn
Clemson
UCLA
Michigan

in FOOTBALL!

It might all disappear, but I'm enjoying it for now. Wow. Way to go, Coach Cutcliffe and team!