PDA

View Full Version : News and Observer

DownEastDevil
10-26-2008, 08:16 AM
Last week Duke made the front page of the sports page of the N&O with the lose to Miami. JP Giglio talked about how Duke competed but at the end they were the same old Duke and how bad they were. Well today after a win against a good Vandy team you can find the article on page 10 and after reading the article you would have thought Duke lost and how bad they still are. At least the basketball team did earn a page 7. Of course the heels earned about 75% of the front page. Come on guys give these young men a little credit how many people thought they would be 4-3 right now and realisticly only a few plays away from 5-2.

NCSU&UNCgrad
10-26-2008, 08:35 AM
Graduates from UNC's school of journalism dominate the local media, as well as ESPN. And as a result, things like this happen.

That's why most of their teams are overrated. People form opinions from what the graduates write. For example, most believe their football team is the best in the ACC, and should be ranked top-15 nationally...b/c you read about it every day in the paper, see it on the news, and listen to it on the radio.

Another example lies with their basketball team. Local media has already handed them the ACC, ACC tourney, and NCAA championship, while ignoring the facts that they have no solid NBA talent and that several teams, including duke, as just as talented.

Faison1
10-26-2008, 09:01 AM
Always has been, and always will be light blue biased. State fans complain of the same thing. Simplest solution is to create a better journalism school than UNC's.

I remember when Shea Cotton (State recruit and deemed savior of hoops program) was declared ineligible. That story made front page banner headlines, the likes of which were seen in the great depression. UNC journalists will always revel in their school's accomplishments, and their foes' failures.

Not much you can do about it, but cancel your subscription.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-26-2008, 09:08 AM
I've noticed the same sort of oversight in reporting here in WS where Wake Forest is the hometown favorite. I suspect our football team will have to continue winning for a while before other people will begin to accept that there is a change and that this is indeed the "Dawn of a New Day."

killerleft
10-26-2008, 10:59 AM
The N & O are jokesters, all right.

Our lacrosse team members got their pictures on the front page individually for no reason at all (well, perhaps there was a tragic rush to judgement).

Now this!

I love the N & O!

loran16
10-26-2008, 11:02 AM
Killer, to be fair on the lacrosse thing, the N&O actually DID question Nifong, whereas the Herald Sun actually reported the Nifong line the entire time until he was discredited.

They may be biassed, but they're not bad journalists like the herald sun. Yuck.

killerleft
10-26-2008, 11:06 AM
True.

I love the Herald-Sun!

buddy
10-26-2008, 11:07 AM
I guess when we beat Carolina (and tear down the goalposts) the story will be in the classified section.

moonpie23
10-26-2008, 11:19 AM
tudor is a hole

jimsumner
10-26-2008, 12:14 PM
At the risk of crashing the pity party, let me suggest that the coverage discrepancies noted may be more a result of proximity than anything else. The Duke-Miami and UNC-BC games were played 25 miles from Raleigh and were heavily staffed by the N&O. The Duke-Vandy game was played in a different time zone and was staffed by one writer.

Also note that Duke had a basketball game at home Saturday. Or sort of a basketball game. Further diluting the coverage. And the N&O, like many newspapers, is diluting a lot of coverage these days.

Anybody who's lived in the Triangle for 40 years knows that the N&O will occasionally trend towards the light blue side of the spectrum. But I suspect if Duke had beaten Vandy in Durham and UNC had played BC in Boston, then the Duke game would have been on the front page.

As a general statement, I find it somewhat disturbing that any time, any one, any where on the planet, writes, says, or does something that someone thinks doesn't give Duke its proper respect, then it's going to be the subject of a DBR thread. "Did you see what that columnist in Pocatello wrote last week? Just outrageous. Here's his/her email address. Let's flood the server with our righteous indignation."

It just seems like wasted energy and misplaced priorities. But hey, that's just me. I'm sure there's a Greg Doyel column out there just waiting to be written and waiting to be publicized on DBR.

billy
10-26-2008, 02:28 PM
According to this link, J.P. Giglio is a State product, not a UNC grad:

http://www.newsobserver.com/1561/story/1189978.html

devilish
10-26-2008, 03:27 PM
tudor is a hole

Actually, I think he is a Pirate (ECU.)

sagegrouse
10-26-2008, 03:53 PM
Always has been, and always will be light blue biased. State fans complain of the same thing. Simplest solution is to create a better journalism school than UNC's.

If there were a better school of journalism in North Carolina than UNC's, why would you think ANY of the grads would go to work for NC newspapers?

sagegrouse

Faison1
10-26-2008, 05:44 PM
If there were a better school of journalism in North Carolina than UNC's, why would you think ANY of the grads would go to work for NC newspapers?

sagegrouse

I know you're kidding around.....just to clarify, so was I. I know you knew I knew you knew. Anyway, I guess we could start another thread on how sad the state of newspapers is. Maybe there are only 3 or 4 papers left worth working for. But if you had to, I'm guessing a gig at the N&O wouldn't be too bad.......