PDA

View Full Version : Selling out Wallace Wade vs. NCSU & UNC

killerleft
10-25-2008, 10:06 PM
It would be pretty special to fill up Wally Wade for the last two home games.

The State game shapes up to be a very good one. We seldom get to play them anymore, so that alone should bring out a great crowd.

The UNC game is gonna be a sellout. The only question is how many Duke fans will buy up those remaining seats. If anyone is waiting for some reason before purchasing tickets for this game, now is the time.

How about let's have a largely pro-Duke crowd in Our House!

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-25-2008, 10:57 PM
It would be pretty special to fill up Wally Wade for the last two home games.

The State game shapes up to be a very good one. We seldom get to play them anymore, so that alone should bring out a great crowd.

The UNC game is gonna be a sellout. The only question is how many Duke fans will buy up those remaining seats. If anyone is waiting for some reason before purchasing tickets for this game, now is the time.

How about let's have a largely pro-Duke crowd in Our House!

I know some folks who are coming from Florida for Carolina game. Their last Carolina game was before a move out of state 30 years ago. It's never too late to come home!

The attendance is now averaging 27K+ per game. It would be wonderful to complete the season with an average attendance per game of 30K.

We want a "blue out" for the last two games in Wallace Wade this year.

CameronBornAndBred
10-26-2008, 03:22 AM
The UNC game will be during an off-session for the students. Hopefully they will still show up for that one. I'm excited for both, but the State game (since it's first) will be the most packed I've seen Wade in years.

killerleft
10-26-2008, 08:35 AM
Yep, let's fill the place up with the beautiful Royal Blue! That washed-up shade of blue is Ugly! when worn by humans at historic Wallace Wade Stadium.:D

The Cutcliffe Era should not be sullied by said Ugliness.

Come to the games! Wear Duke Blue!

PumpkinFunk
10-26-2008, 09:51 AM
The UNC game will be during an off-session for the students. Hopefully they will still show up for that one. I'm excited for both, but the State game (since it's first) will be the most packed I've seen Wade in years.

Yeah... that part makes it hard. Most people are going home for Thanksgiving break, and it's hard to change plane tickets that were generally made September or earlier. People who drive home for Thanksgiving are most likely coming back if they care about the game, but for the many people who live far enough away where they have to fly, there's no such luck.

arnie
10-26-2008, 10:08 AM
Yeah... that part makes it hard. Most people are going home for Thanksgiving break, and it's hard to change plane tickets that were generally made September or earlier. People who drive home for Thanksgiving are most likely coming back if they care about the game, but for the many people who live far enough away where they have to fly, there's no such luck.

I didn't even think about this until you brought it up. I'm afraid light blue will prevail in the stadium, hopefully, the dark blue will prevail on the field.

killerleft
10-26-2008, 10:38 AM
The only reason ugly blue will outshow Royal Blue at Wally Wade is because enough Duke fans don't show up!!

*Ahem* The cure for the ugly blues is so easy. Buy four tickets and let your Heel friend know (in the morning) that there are no tickets for him to buy.

phaedrus
10-26-2008, 11:55 AM
Only two of the twenty-something sections are student sections. I don't think lack of students should keep the stadium from being full of dark blue.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-26-2008, 01:25 PM
I didn't even think about this until you brought it up. I'm afraid light blue will prevail in the stadium, hopefully, the dark blue will prevail on the field.
I believe that those who buy the tickets will determine the composition of the fans filling the stadium. Have Carolina folk been buying up tickets (on the cheap) while the Duke fans deliberate over how the season's is going? Who knows.... but we can do something to prevent a sea of light blue. BUY TICKETS and FILL THE STADIUM. The general admission sections are 14 - 19. There's no fence to prevent fans with general admission tickets from spilling over into Sections 20 - 23 where the students usually sit.

Don't wait and thus let Carolina define whose fans are at the game. GTHC!

SharkD
10-27-2008, 11:09 PM
I bought two tickets to the Carolina game, the day after the win over JMU. Unfortunately, it's a wash for turning the stadium Duke Blue -- my lovely (and very pregnant) wife, a Duke hematology-oncology nurse, is a Carolina grad.

OZZIE4DUKE
10-28-2008, 09:10 AM
I bought two tickets to the Carolina game, the day after the win over JMU. Unfortunately, it's a wash for turning the stadium Duke Blue -- my lovely (and very pregnant) wife, a Duke hematology-oncology nurse, is a Carolina grad.

Best of luck with the pregnancy and upcoming birth. Shouldn't your very pregnant wife watch the game from the comfort of your living room with her feet up while you're at the game? Get you mother in law to come over and take care of wifey if she needs any tending to. Just a 9F suggestion.

GP3NY
10-28-2008, 10:08 PM
Does anyone have two general admission tickets to the NCSU game? My parents are coming down and they are going to sit with me in the student section, so I don't really see the point of buying $40 tickets on goduke.com that are actual reserved seats.

Any help would be great! Thanks and go duke!!

devilirium
10-28-2008, 11:58 PM
If Duke posts a .500 mark or better in the rest of their games (say 2-2 or better), I would be willing to bet the the composition would be 50/50 for Duke/UNC.

The State game will draw very well....it could be 35 K- 36 K no matter what State's record is....they are pretty devoted when it comes to football.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-29-2008, 10:17 AM
If Duke posts a .500 mark or better in the rest of their games (say 2-2 or better), I would be willing to bet the the composition would be 50/50 for Duke/UNC.

The State game will draw very well....it could be 35 K- 36 K no matter what State's record is....they are pretty devoted when it comes to football.
The average attendance per game is now over 27K, not too shabby all things considered.

Why would the stadium be only 50% Duke fans for the Carolina game this year? In view of this team's "rise from the ashes," I'd expect much higher attendance from Duke fans.

devildeac
10-29-2008, 10:52 AM
The average attendance per game is now over 27K, not too shabby all things considered.

Why would the stadium be only 50% Duke fans for the Carolina game this year? In view of this team's "rise from the ashes," I'd expect much higher attendance from Duke fans.

Same ol' story. More hole fans in the Triangle than there probably are in all of NC. Heck, Tilly is a Duke employee and she said on employee day earlier this year that she did not expect an overflow crowd at WW despite the fact that even though all the employees could get in free, many would not show up 'cuz they were mostly unc fans anyway:o:(.

Highlander
10-29-2008, 11:46 AM

What was our avearage attendence last year, out of curiosity?

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-29-2008, 01:08 PM
To tell you the truth, this is the first time in years that I've paid any attention to attendance figures!

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-29-2008, 01:13 PM
Same ol' story. More hole fans in the Triangle than there probably are in all of NC. Heck, Tilly is a Duke employee and she said on employee day earlier this year that she did not expect an overflow crowd at WW despite the fact that even though all the employees could get in free, many would not show up 'cuz they were mostly unc fans anyway:o:(.

The attendance for the first home game was 32,571. Employees accounted for about 20K tickets that day. Since then I've seen growing numbers of the same people showing up in the same seats. I'm thinking positively about who's going to be in the stands! I don't think this season will end like previous seasons!

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-29-2008, 01:16 PM
According to goduke.com, ave. attendance per game last year was a little over 20K. Having actually attended the games last year, I'm surprised at a number that high.

CathyCA
10-29-2008, 02:22 PM
I believe that those who buy the tickets will determine the composition of the fans filling the stadium. Have Carolina folk been buying up tickets (on the cheap) while the Duke fans deliberate over how the season's is going? Who knows.... but we can do something to prevent a sea of light blue. BUY TICKETS and FILL THE STADIUM. The general admission sections are 14 - 19. There's no fence to prevent fans with general admission tickets from spilling over into Sections 20 - 23 where the students usually sit.
Don't wait and thus let Carolina define whose fans are at the game. GTHC!

Do you all remember when a fence separated the students from the rest of the crowd in Wally Wade? I recall seeing one when I was a kid living in Durham in the early 1970s. Were the students THAT out of control that they needed to be fenced in?

Indoor66
10-29-2008, 02:26 PM
Do you all remember when a fence separated the students from the rest of the crowd in Wally Wade? I recall seeing one when I was a kid living in Durham in the early 1970s. Were the students THAT out of control that they needed to be fenced in?

Maybe the others needed to be fenced out. ;)

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-29-2008, 02:42 PM

Hardly! The fence had been there long before I arrived as an undergraduate and remained there for some time afterward. It was there to insure that the student sections were filled with students, no interlopers.

Back then we paid a pretty hefty (or so we thought) student activity fee each year that covered admission to various activities including football and basketball games. The area reserved for the students at football games was not always big enough for all the students who attended the games. Students became very angry when "townies" were allowed to sit in the student sections of then Indoor Stadium. Eddie Cameron wanted the stands filled, so if there were seats available before the games (freshman followed by varsity) started, non students were admitted at $1 each to fill the seats. Students began to fill the stands for basketball as Vic Bubas orchestrated great success in the conference and on the national level. A good subject for another thread would be how competitive basketball and football in the Big Four were back in the 50's and 60's.

killerleft
11-03-2008, 09:06 AM
Especially if you haven't been to a Duke game in a while, we need all the fans we can get for these last two home games!!

The quicker you buy, the better. Every one you buy is an assurance that Pack and Heel fans won't have them. And that is just a bonus! You mainly will get to see the improving Duke Blue Devils, led by David Cutcliffe, in person!

Go Duke!!

devilish
11-03-2008, 10:06 AM
... so woofies don't. Here's a recent email sent out to all wolfpack club members:

"Let’s all show support of our Wolfpack Football team as we head down the “home stretch” of the 2008 season. Tickets to the State-Duke game at Wallace Wade Stadium on November 8th are still available. Lets “Pack” Wallace Wade with Red! Also, tickets remain for the home games against Wake Forest on November 15th and Miami on November 29th. To order tickets to any of these games, please click on the link below or call the N.C. State Ticket Office at (919)865-1510. Thank you for your support of N.C. State Football. Go Wolfpack!"

killerleft
11-03-2008, 10:33 AM
See?!

Who wants to hear a bunch of abject, howling wolves, pitifully dragging their tails behind them, after our beloved Blue Devils kick their mangey canine butts?

More sickening is what the Yams Club may do!

Let's buy our own dang tickets up!!

sagegrouse
11-03-2008, 11:18 AM

As I recall, there was a fence. During my day -- 3 ACC championships in 4 years -- the students sat between the 15 and 50 yard line on the east (shaded) side of the field (or, maybe it was 40 or 45 yard line). Student seats were first-come, first-serve. Naturally, there was a barrier to prevent the student section from overflowing into a jam-packed season ticket area.

Students cheered loudly but the decorum was reasonable. After all, coat and tie and high heels were the dress norm for football games. How raucous could you be?

sagegrouse

devildeac
11-03-2008, 11:58 AM
As I recall, there was a fence. During my day -- 3 ACC championships in 4 years -- the students sat between the 15 and 50 yard line on the east (shaded) side of the field (or, maybe it was 40 or 45 yard line). Student seats were first-come, first-serve. Naturally, there was a barrier to prevent the student section from overflowing into a jam-packed season ticket area.

Students cheered loudly but the decorum was reasonable. After all, coat and tie and high heels were the dress norm for football games. How raucous could you be?

sagegrouse

You wore a coat and tie and high heels to the games? And were a goat-napper, too? ;) Y'all did have a great time before OZZIE and I got there in the 70's.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-03-2008, 12:15 PM

sagegrouse

We managed ........and attended class before the game, too!

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-03-2008, 12:16 PM
You wore a coat and tie and high heels to the games? And were a goat-napper, too? ;) Y'all did have a great time before OZZIE and I got there in the 70's.

No, I was wearing the high heels along with my blue dress.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-03-2008, 12:19 PM
Hey, Sage, what are the chances you'll be attending the Carolina game on November 29? It's been so long since we had the victory bell, it's up to us to show the current students how to ring it!

DWP
11-03-2008, 08:43 PM
Especially if you haven't been to a Duke game in a while, we need all the fans we can get for these last two home games!!

The quicker you buy, the better. Every one you buy is an assurance that Pack and Heel fans won't have them. And that is just a bonus! You mainly will get to see the improving Duke Blue Devils, led by David Cutcliffe, in person!

Go Duke!!
Good points! I hope no Iron Duke member will sell their tickets and parking pass to a Wolfpack or Tar Heel fan. I am an Iron Duke member and too often I see the flag of an opposing team flying from a car parked in the Iron Duke lot!

phaedrus
11-03-2008, 09:10 PM
We managed ........and attended class before the game, too!

hmmm, we had a different tradition before the game in my day.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-03-2008, 11:46 PM
hmmm, we had a different tradition before the game in my day.
Free cuts weren't instituted until near the end of my undergraduate years. Attending each class was not optional. We're not talking traditions here; we're talking requirements to pass a course for credit toward graduation.

dukeman28428
11-04-2008, 03:52 PM
Call your children, friends and buy up all of the tickets for our last two home games and let's show our loyalty and support for our coaches and team. I hate it when our opponents show up in force and let's get on the phone and fill Wallace Wade with Duke fans!! We are having a great year and our players deserve us to be passionate......thanks and GO DUKE

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-04-2008, 04:21 PM
Call your children, friends and buy up all of the tickets for our last two home games and let's show our loyalty and support for our coaches and team. I hate it when our opponents show up in force and let's get on the phone and fill Wallace Wade with Duke fans!! We are having a great year and our players deserve us to be passionate......thanks and GO DUKE

That's the spirit! The average attendance is now up to approximately 27,700 per game.

We can do this! We can create the biggest blue out in the history of Wallace Wade Stadium. We can fill the stadium! We can beat State! This is our time. This is our season. THIS IS OUR GAME!

GO DUKE! Beat State!

gotoguy
11-04-2008, 06:51 PM
I think the fence was in place to keep the general admission folks out of the student section so they wouldn't drink our beer. ;)

devilish
11-05-2008, 09:08 AM
Rain or shine, get your royal blue butts to Wallace Wade this Saturday!

http://ev6.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventInfo?ticketCode=GS%3AIBM%3AF08%3A6%3A&linkID=duke&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode=