PDA

View Full Version : We can beat Wake Forest

cbfx3
10-25-2008, 07:00 PM
I just know it!

CameronBornAndBred
10-25-2008, 07:41 PM
I'll be there whether it happens or not!

Would love to set up an away brunchgate, or in the case of the WFU timing, lunchgate. I haven't been to a game in their house since I was a kid, so I know little of parking, but if anyone else plans on attending lets get together at least at some point to say hi, at most to drink a few and eat.

wolfpackdevil
10-26-2008, 01:40 PM
Would love to set up an away brunchgate, or in the case of the WFU timing, lunchgate. I haven't been to a game in their house since I was a kid, so I know little of parking, but if anyone else plans on attending lets get together at least at some point to say hi, at most to drink a few and eat.

One of my friends and I will be attending the game. It is a 3:30 kickoff, but i'm almost positive it's not on TV. I am attending, and am sitting on the Duke sideline, 30yard line. Anybody else attendting??

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-26-2008, 02:17 PM

CB and B, you know I'm an enthusiastic participant in tailgating and going to good football games! But I'll be attending a baby shower instead..... a family affair with attendance expected. mmmmm ..........maybe I can sneak in my own radio...

CameronBornAndBred
10-26-2008, 02:18 PM
One of my friends and I will be attending the game. It is a 3:30 kickoff, but i'm almost positive it's not on TV. I am attending, and am sitting on the Duke sideline, 30yard line. Anybody else attendting??

It's on ESPN360 (I think 20 people in NC have that channel, ha!)
I'll be setting up probably around 11 with beer and hotdogs on my 'lil grill. Like I said I'm unfamiliar with WFU parking, and I'll be finding out more before gametime, but anyone is welcome to join me. PM me and we'll organize.
My tix are in sec 13, 20 yd line I think, Duke side.

wolfpackdevil
10-26-2008, 02:26 PM
I'll be setting up probably around 11 with beer and hotdogs on my 'lil grill. Like I said I'm unfamiliar with WFU parking, and I'll be finding out more before gametime, but anyone is welcome to join me. PM me and we'll organize.
My tix are in sec 13, 20 yd line I think, Duke side.

well ill be in that section, just got the tickets for 15 a piece online. great deal if you want the link.

should be a great game

MADevil30
10-26-2008, 04:31 PM

ESPN360 is an online service, I actually didn't realize I got it until I clicked on it by accident one day

RainingThrees
10-26-2008, 05:16 PM
Wake is a well coached team but their players aren't that great individually. They have a tough time when playing athletic teams.

RelativeWays
10-26-2008, 05:52 PM
Yes, we can beat Wake Forest and it doesn't have to be by fluke or luck. I watched Cut's highlight show today and actually seeing how many times we were inside the 20 can came away with no points, I realized that we could have blown Vanderbilt out. It seemed like they only threatened maybe 3 times in the game whereas we kept them in it by our inability to score.
Wake Forest has a better defense when they're playing well but their offense is pretty dreadful. Duke can win this game with two simple plans. 1. Take care of the football. No fumbles or INTS. the fumbles killed a few good drives we had and ruined a couple of field goal attempts. At the very least we should have won 16-7, rendering the INT at the end unnecessary. 2. Capitalize on red zone opportunities. We can't block punts at the 10 and come away with no points, that just cannot happen. If Duke executes their gameplan without flaw, they'll win by 10. Wake lives off of turnovers, mistakes and field position. If you don't give them that, they lose.

CameronBornAndBred
10-26-2008, 06:19 PM
Thad's protection up front also has to improve. He had a horrible number of negative yards. Without seeing the game, I don't know how many of the plays he would of had an opportunity to throw the ball away, but he was obviously under pressure all day. Even on our TD, Vandy got called for roughing the passer, which meant they were right there to make contact. Hopefully the O-line has a lot they can look at in ways to improve. Those guys have done a good job this year, but Vandy obviously found some holes to exploit. You can be sure Wake is picking apart the plays where they succeeded.

Bob Green
10-26-2008, 06:28 PM
The victory over Vanderbilt and trip to Winston-Salem offers Duke an opportunity to win back-to-back road games. When did Duke last win back-to-back road games? It was 1994 when Duke won at Georgia Tech 27-12 followed by at Navy 47-14. The last time Duke won two road games in the same season was 1999 at Virginia 24-17 and at Maryland 25-22.

cbfx3
10-26-2008, 06:28 PM
my dad and I are kicking around making the trip...

wolfpackdevil
10-26-2008, 06:31 PM
Yes, we can beat Wake Forest and it doesn't have to be by fluke or luck. I watched Cut's highlight show today and actually seeing how many times we were inside the 20 can came away with no points, I realized that we could have blown Vanderbilt out. It seemed like they only threatened maybe 3 times in the game whereas we kept them in it by our inability to score.
Wake Forest has a better defense when they're playing well but their offense is pretty dreadful. Duke can win this game with two simple plans. 1. Take care of the football. No fumbles or INTS. the fumbles killed a few good drives we had and ruined a couple of field goal attempts. At the very least we should have won 16-7, rendering the INT at the end unnecessary. 2. Capitalize on red zone opportunities. We can't block punts at the 10 and come away with no points, that just cannot happen. If Duke executes their gameplan without flaw, they'll win by 10. Wake lives off of turnovers, mistakes and field position. If you don't give them that, they lose.

You are right on all of your points here. Duke could have definatley blown out Vandy if it were'nt for some missed field goals and costly turnovers in the red zone.

I really like how Thad is playing at QB this year compared to last. It just seemed like they were only looking for big plays on offense last year. Just huge 70 yard passes to Riley. This year, he is throwing sharp, accurate 4 or 5 yard screen passes that are gaining 6 or 7 yards every play. And the play of Tony Jackson and Jay Hollingsworth at RB has been great with the abscence of Boyette.

If Duke capitilizes in the red zone, keep playing great on defense, and Thad throws as well as he did saturday, Duke will pick up a W in Winston-Salem.

wolfpackdevil
10-26-2008, 06:32 PM
my dad and I are kicking around making the trip...

You should if your from the triangle.

Very cheap tickets, and easy drive on I-40 to get their.

I'm hoping for a lot of Duke blue in the crowd for the game.

CameronBornAndBred
10-26-2008, 06:34 PM
I've got a thread started on OTB (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?p=209033#post209033) collecting names of those who are thinking about showing up. If you can make it early for some tailgating, post up and we'll get some contact info so we can find each other. Bring some grub and drinks if you'd like, and bring the 'We Are Duke" attitude! It will be awesome to make some noise for our guys in there.

devildeac
10-26-2008, 07:22 PM
Looking at recent trends/scores/offenses and defenses, this one might end up about 7-6 or 10-7 with Devil>deac:D.

footballfan2
10-26-2008, 08:06 PM
yes i think Duke has a good chance in winning. Things will have to bounce our way, but we have a legit chance in winning.

Summie444
10-26-2008, 08:24 PM
I discovered yesterday that .edu and .mil connections also receive access to ESPN360 if that helps anyone. I think I'll set up a VPN to Duke and watch the game that way.

formerdukeathlete
10-27-2008, 08:50 AM
Thad's protection up front also has to improve. He had a horrible number of negative yards. Without seeing the game, I don't know how many of the plays he would of had an opportunity to throw the ball away, but he was obviously under pressure all day. Even on our TD, Vandy got called for roughing the passer, which meant they were right there to make contact. Hopefully the O-line has a lot they can look at in ways to improve. Those guys have done a good job this year, but Vandy obviously found some holes to exploit. You can be sure Wake is picking apart the plays where they succeeded.

In the Miami game o-linemen Cameron Goldberg and Kyle Hill were absolutely terrific. I did not see the Vandy game, just listened to it. Point - bear in mind that sacks are a function of several factors. Protection one of them. The other factors include vision, decision making (audibles), mobility. Fumbles, whether of snaps or by sacks, exacerbate the problem.

dukeENG2003
10-27-2008, 09:08 AM
I discovered yesterday that .edu and .mil connections also receive access to ESPN360 if that helps anyone. I think I'll set up a VPN to Duke and watch the game that way.

Yup, it works.

El_Diablo
10-29-2008, 12:27 AM
Duke just beat Wake in the football team speed debate on ESPNU. Woohooo!

Granted, it was by a coin toss. But a win's a win! FWIW, I think the Duke debater absolutely destroyed the stuttering Wake guy, and it never should have come down to the coin toss.

Go Duke!

El_Diablo
10-29-2008, 12:54 AM
Duke just beat Wake in the football team speed debate on ESPNU. Woohooo!

Granted, it was by a coin toss. But a win's a win! FWIW, I think the Duke debater absolutely destroyed the stuttering Wake guy, and it never should have come down to the coin toss.

Go Duke!

ESPNU just followed up with a 2 vs. 2 debate on which school had the best school spirit.

Wake's points:
-Beat Duke in football 8 straight times dating back to 1889, when Duke was called Trinity College (Can we get a fact check on this one?)
-Duke conceded that they were the worst team in college football in pulling out of the Louisville contract (not sure how that reflects upon school spirit)
-Cameron Crazies are only crazy when Duke wins

Duke's points:
-Cameron is consistently named one of the most intimidating places to play
-Crazies made an unnamed ;) Wake Forest freshman guard cry during his first trip to Cameron
-Duke packs Cameron and Wallace Wade with a sea of blue...while a typical Wake sporting events just has a couple hundred people in tie-dyed t-shirts. Basically a sad Woodstock.

Duke wins again! No coin toss needed to decide this one either!

CameronBornAndBred
10-29-2008, 10:02 AM
The following is from ESPN.. (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/acc)

"WAKE FOREST: Filming for the movie "The 5th Quarter" will take place during Saturday's home game against Duke. The movie is based on the Demon Deacons' 2006 championship season during which linebacker Jon Abbate was driven by the death of his 15-year-old brother, Luke. The crew purchased about 150 tickets for the game and will sit in section five, where Abbate's parents used to sit. The actors will be reacting to the game as it goes on, but since some scenes take place in September and others in November, they're going to have to change from short-sleeves to parkas during the game."

Luckily those guys are on the opposite side from me, so I'll be having fun watching them change clothes.

wilson
10-29-2008, 10:24 AM
Sorry to keep peppering the place with such requests, but I'm still on the lookout for a pair of tix to Saturday's game for my brother and me (full disclosure...he's an '03 WFU grad). Location isn't as important to us as getting into the stadium as economically as possible (remember, I'm a graduate student:o). Holler at me if you know of any possibilities.
Thanks guys!

jimsumner
10-29-2008, 02:54 PM
"Beat Duke in football 8 straight times dating back to 1889, when Duke was called Trinity College "

Say what?

The teams actually split two games in 1889. But Duke's last win in the series was 1999. And, I'm pretty sure Trinity had made the transition to Duke by then.

In case you were wondering, Duke leads the all-time series 53-33, with a pair of ties. That includes an 11-game winning streak under Wade and a 12-game winning streak under Murray.

And no, I wasn't at either of the 1889 games.

du_bb1
10-29-2008, 03:30 PM
could have sworn I saw you there--section 4, row 2??? do you have a younger brother???:rolleyes:

watzone
10-30-2008, 09:58 AM
What an important game this has become for Duke Football! One could make a case that it is make or break with concerns to bowl eligibility, but certainly not for the season. With NCSU looming next week, this fan would love to see Duke come into that game 5-3. Go Devils!

Here's a solid game preview from Bob Green -

http://bluedevilnation.net/?p=1214

RepoMan
10-30-2008, 12:56 PM
Interestingly, its a huge game for Wake too. I don't think it is hyperbole to suggest that this might be the biggest Duke football game in many years. Can't wait. It is such a pleasure to have something to root for on Saturdays in the fall.

killerleft
10-30-2008, 01:34 PM
I'll be there somewhere! Depends on who's got an extra ticket. Glad WF isn't Philly.

Go Duke!!! Three more wins and Coach Cutcliffe is eligible for sainthood.

CameronBornAndBred
10-30-2008, 01:53 PM
I'll be there somewhere! Depends on who's got an extra ticket. Glad WF isn't Philly.

Go Duke!!! Three more wins and Coach Cutcliffe is eligible for sainthood.

I've got one (only one) if ya need it. PM me, and if you get one elsewhere..keep an eye out for my hat!

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-30-2008, 02:08 PM
Interestingly, its a huge game for Wake too. I don't think it is hyperbole to suggest that this might be the biggest Duke football game in many years. Can't wait. It is such a pleasure to have something to root for on Saturdays in the fall.

How long has it been since Duke had so big games in November????

November 2008 will define this year's team and I love what I see so far. The team's doing a fine job of dealing with each game as a one game season. Coach Cutcliffe is turning our hope into reality!

Can't wait for the game Saturday! I'll be at a family gathering (baby shower) until 4P, but I'll exit quickly and tune in via radio!

GO DUKE! Beat Wake!

jimsumner
10-30-2008, 03:42 PM
"How long has it been since Duke had so big games in November????"

1998. Fred Goldsmith's last year at Duke. Duke was 4-4 with three games left that were all regarded as winnable. Bowl scouts were showing up.

Duke lost at Vandy 36-33 in double-OT. A devastating loss. Duke barely showed up in the final two games, one-sided losses to mediocre Maryland and UNC teams.

Those losses led to Carl Franks and a struggling program spiraled into irrelevance.

I occasionally wonder how things would have turned out had Duke come out on top in that game at Vanderbilt.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-30-2008, 04:50 PM
"How long has it been since Duke had so big games in November????"

1998. Fred Goldsmith's last year at Duke. Duke was 4-4 with three games left that were all regarded as winnable. Bowl scouts were showing up.

Duke lost at Vandy 36-33 in double-OT. A devastating loss. Duke barely showed up in the final two games, one-sided losses to mediocre Maryland and UNC teams.

Those losses led to Carl Franks and a struggling program spiraled into irrelevance.

I occasionally wonder how things would have turned out had Duke come out on top in that game at Vanderbilt.

Thanks for the information, Jim. The football drought has been so severe that it surely feels as if it's been longer than that!

Kimist
10-31-2008, 01:06 AM
My DSL internet connection is with BellSouth/AT&T and when I "log in" via their home page I can then access the ESPN360.com site for free.

Also, for those who attend the game, it is likely the game will be available for later viewing for a couple of weeks minimum.

k

wilson
10-31-2008, 01:10 AM
Well, I'm coming. I may or may not actually have tickets, but I'm coming, along with my brother (the Deac) and at least one other Dukie (so the right people will outnumber the wrong in the car). We're gonna win.

CameronBornAndBred
10-31-2008, 07:58 AM
The weather looks to be beautiful, 70 and clear. Anyone who is up for meeting at the game, PM me for cell#. I'll be doing some cooking before, all welcome to join me. I'm off to the game now via my parents in Va. Getting excited!
GO DUKE!