PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Feature on Duke's March Troubles

BlueintheFace
10-23-2008, 12:21 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?id=3655681

Dana O'neil wrote this one. It's on the front of ESPN.com's Mens Basketball page right now.

huied
10-23-2008, 12:52 PM
Surprisingly little anti-Duke sentiment in this one. I actually, dare I say, enjoyed this article. :eek:

The excerpt on Zoubek was also pretty neat. After reading that, I want to say that Z will finally be the post we need, but I'll withhold judgement until we start actually playing some games.

elvis14
10-23-2008, 01:36 PM
Pretty decent article. This paragraph:

Some bodies bigger than 6-foot-8 Kyle Singler will help. A healthy Zoubek, 6-10 rookie Miles Plumlee and an older, wiser Lance Thomas are candidates. The kind of play Henderson offered at the end of last season, when he single-handedly prevented the disastrous loss to Belmont, will go far. Quicker-footed Nolan Smith at the point will be an upgrade as well.
mirrors lots of discussion we have on DBR. I'm not one to make excuses but every time I read another article like this I can't help but ask why Duke has downplayed the health or lack thereof of our team last March. Last I checked the flu (or whatever virus wiped out most of our boys in March) doesn't know anything about history. Sometimes I'm proud that we downplayed the team being sick but other times it can be just a bit frustrating.

It's so nice to be talking hoops this week and discussing what IS going on in addition to what went on and what will go on!

hurleyfor3
10-23-2008, 01:37 PM
Surprisingly little anti-Duke sentiment in this one. I actually, dare I say, enjoyed this article. :eek:

It was kind, in fact. No mention of blown 17-point leads to five-seeds or the most prolific 3-point shooter in history going 3-for-18. Or needing a last second basket to beat a 15-seed or... OK, I'll stop. Each year had its own circumstances, but they all happened.

I realize Christian Laettner isn't walking through that door, Bobby Hurley isn't walking through that door and Grant Hill isn't walking through that door, but it would be at least nice if we didn't peak in January.

dukeENG2003
10-23-2008, 03:05 PM
Love this quote:

"I'm a Cubs fan and it's the same thing but opposite with them,"

Buckeye Devil
10-25-2008, 07:56 AM
with the content or tone of this one. Maybe the Olympic gold had something to do with it.

pamtar
10-28-2008, 10:20 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?id=3655681

Good read. K definitely evolves.