PDA

View Full Version : Lute Olson steps down

weezie
10-23-2008, 12:05 PM
Story is developing. Just an official statement so far.

Edouble
10-23-2008, 12:07 PM
Holy Cow!

weezie
10-23-2008, 12:21 PM
ESPN, Vitale reporting that asst coach Mike Dunlap to take the helm until a replacement is chosen. Vitale hinted at health problems?

Edouble
10-23-2008, 12:21 PM
In an ESPN phone interview, Dick Vitale says that "health issues" are the reason for Lute stepping down, and that he can not do on "a day-to-day basis" what he used to do. Vitale says that he thinks Kevin O'Neil would have been the "perfect hire" to take over the head coaching position.

ESPN says that assistant Mike Dunlap will take over as the interim head coach and that Arizona will conduct a nation-wide coaching search.

bdh21
10-23-2008, 12:26 PM
In an ESPN phone interview, Dick Vitale says that "health issues" are the reason for Lute stepping down, and that he can not do on "a day-to-day basis" what he used to do. Vitale says that he thinks Kevin O'Neil would have been the "perfect hire" to take over the head coaching position.

If Vitale thinks that O'Neil would have been the "perfect hire," I can't trust Vitale to be right about anything, including whether or not Lute is actually stepping down.

Edouble
10-23-2008, 12:42 PM
If Vitale thinks that O'Neil would have been the "perfect hire," I can't trust Vitale to be right about anything, including whether or not Lute is actually stepping down.

Well, you could be right, as Arizona is quoted on Sportscenter as saying: "We're not announcing anything to that effect. At, this moment, there is nothing going on." (paraphrased, I may be off a word or two)

Diddy
10-23-2008, 01:24 PM
http://arizona.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=867074

The above link is to the Rivals site. Not confirmed yet, and I hope he is OK, but this would be the story of the basketball season so far. Their recruits would be up for grabs, etc.

Nuttiness.

BD80
10-23-2008, 01:46 PM
Sounds like Lute has finally stepped over the edge. Missing practice and then having this report out will draw a media firestorm. This is a "multiple sources" report, and it sounds like Dickie V is reporting the same.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3659611

Wonder how Chase Budinger feels since Lute "recruited" him to stay?

Who was Abdul Gaddy's second choice?

hurleyfor3
10-23-2008, 01:46 PM
Not a good time to be an Arizona old guy right now.

Diddy
10-23-2008, 01:51 PM
Without Lute, I just don't see AZ staying as a western power. This basically cedes the Pac-10 to UCLA for the forseeable future. That will make it a lot easier to recruit kids in the west. Cause no one will devote a lot of TV time to UCLA and the 9 nothings.

As for Gaddy, I have no idea where he ends up. He should wait until the end of the year and make a choice then. But for some odd reason, this is the sort of thing that screams Memphis.

Diddy
10-23-2008, 01:51 PM
not a good time to be an arizona old guy right now.

money

BD80
10-23-2008, 02:01 PM
Goodman at Fox confirming it through a "source close to the program"

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/8710962/Source:-Olson-to-step-down-20-wins-shy-of-800

Parrish too:

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/11056449

Edouble
10-23-2008, 02:25 PM
Without Lute, I just don't see AZ staying as a western power. This basically cedes the Pac-10 to UCLA for the forseeable future. That will make it a lot easier to recruit kids in the west. Cause no one will devote a lot of TV time to UCLA and the 9 nothings.

Depends on who takes over at the helm. If they get a big time coach, say Majerus or Knight, then they'll be fine. I don't actually think they will get one of those guys, but if they do get a serious coach, Tim Floyd or Sendek can get a respectable squad together somewhat regularly, and Dawkins makes a splash at Stanford, the Pac-10 will be more than a one team show.

At this point, I'm also not sure that the Pac-10 hasn't already been ceded to UCLA already after the past 3 seasons, but I don't think that it's an unwinnable battle for another team or two to get into the mix.

I am a long time Pac-10 basher, but I wouldn't say it's doomsday yet. Lute won an NC, but he held the title of biggest March choker for many years. Replacing him is not as big a deal as replacing Coach K, Roy Williams, or Rick Pitino.

weezie
10-23-2008, 02:37 PM
Replacing him is not as big a deal as replacing Coach K, Roy Williams, or Rick Pitino.

Totally agree with you (except for Roy ;).) And, if the powers-that-be at AZ haven't already considered replacements after last year's debacle, I would be very surprised. I'll bet they've already had their quiet feelers out for quite some time.

BD80
10-23-2008, 03:07 PM

This gives Herb and Johnny and Floyd big opportunities. I don't see the 4 Oregon or Washington schools nor Cal making a consistent impact. Arizona falling would leave just 4 in consistent contention.

Depends on who takes over at the helm. If they get a big time coach, say Majerus or Knight, then they'll be fine. I don't actually think they will get one of those guys, but if they do get a serious coach, Tim Floyd or Sendek can get a respectable squad together somewhat regularly, and Dawkins makes a splash at Stanford, the Pac-10 will be more than a one team show.

At this point, I'm also not sure that the Pac-10 hasn't already been ceded to UCLA already after the past 3 seasons, but I don't think that it's an unwinnable battle for another team or two to get into the mix.

Majerus or Knight would be a disaster for recruiting, although they would each be a great fill-in for this season.

Initial speculation centers around Mark Few and Jamie Dixon. Although Dixon is from LA and coached at Northern Arizona, I don't think he'd want to square off so directly with his mentor Ben Howland.

JasonEvans
10-23-2008, 03:17 PM
Ready for some wild speculation for the next Zona coach?

How about Rick Barnes?

Steve Kerr has a big-time front office job with the Suns. He ain't gonna get into college coaching. What about Sean Elliot? He is a commentator on Spurs broadcasts but I think Arizona will want someone with some sideline experience.

I suspect Arizona will move slowly. This could not come at a worse time. If Lute had done this a few months ago they might have been able to get a big name in soon. But, I would bet that the real job search won't happen until the end of the season now.

--Jason "I am a fan of what Lute did on the court, but off of it he had lost it in recent years" Evans

BD80
10-23-2008, 03:31 PM
--Jason "I am a fan of what Lute did on the court, but off of it he had lost it in recent years" Evans

How about this for class, right up until the end:

A source familiar with Olson said he would not be surprised if the coach tries to embarrass Vitale--never a favorite of Olson's--by dragging out the announcement ...

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=477153

mgtr
10-23-2008, 03:37 PM
After Lute's erratic behavior with the team this last year, I wonder how many good coaches would take over the program unless Lute were somehow barred from practices and interfering with the team. I am uncertain how this could be done, however. Maybe as part of his settlement with the school.

Faison1
10-23-2008, 03:48 PM
Those poor players (I'm not being sarcastic).....Juniors and Seniors on this team must wonder what they did to deserve the past few years......

Indoor66
10-23-2008, 03:50 PM
IMO, Lute was a jerk at Iowa and that hasn't changed.

weezie
10-23-2008, 03:57 PM

How about Rick Barnes?

I'm impressed, that would be a great "get" for AZ.
And I agree with Faison1 about the players at A being royally abused by the antics of the past year. Poor Chase Budinger, what a catastrophe of a career he's had to soldier through. I hope he has a chance in the NBA.

BD80
10-23-2008, 05:01 PM

How about Rick Barnes?

I doubt UA has the funds to get Barnes. Further, UA cannot compete with Texas' facilities and there is not nearly as much local talent in Az as in Tx.

Money has been short at all Arizona universities and funding is a big issue. Even if they could get a few boosters to pony up for a big-time coach, the politics could undo the deal.

Lute will have a lot to say about his successors, if only because of his connections to at least several of the most supportive ($$$$) boosters.

Edouble
10-23-2008, 05:48 PM
I can't see AZ reeling in Rick Barnes. He seems super-happy at Texas. Although he has not won an NC at his school, he seems like he would be very close to the Tom Izzo/Bill Self level of coach that is going to be really tough to pull away from their team. He left Clemson b/c he couldn't compete in recruiting with Duke and UNC and he wanted to put down roots somewhere that he could build a top program. Now that he's established that, I don't know why on earth he'd want to leave. Honsetly, I don't see Arizona as having a much bigger basketball name than Texas. The Longhorns have actually been to a Final Four more recently.

Anthony Grant? Probably not. Big $$$, plus I doubt he knows the west coast.

One of our guys? Wojo, Collins, or Quin? Probably not, as Lute doesn't care much for Duke and I assume he'd have some say in his successor.

I kind of like a guy like Steve Alford or Quin, who's had some good experience but ended things in a rough patch.

Mike Jarvis seems like the wrong fit.

Mike Montgomery might not want to coach a third team in one conference.

tbyers11
10-23-2008, 07:21 PM
One of our guys? Wojo, Collins, or Quin? Probably not, as Lute doesn't care much for Duke and I assume he'd have some say in his successor.

I haven't given much thought to who the next Arizona head coach might be, but after

-the Kevin O'Neill as the head coach-in-waiting fiasco
-the strangeness of this retirement "announcement"
-his overall weird behavior the last couple of years

I am not sure Lute will have much, if any, say in who the next coach is.

arydolphin
10-23-2008, 09:22 PM
If Arizona really wanted to make a splash, they'd get Josh Pastner to come back there as the head coach. He was a walk-on on their 1997 championship team, then became an assistant coach in his 20s and was a star recruiter. He left last year to go to Memphis to be an assistant and the head recruiter there. He's in his early 30's right now, so it wouldn't be the most traditional hire, but he's a rising star in the profession.

dukeballer2294
10-23-2008, 09:28 PM
Its ashame a legends final years were so bad like his at Arizona

weezie
10-23-2008, 10:05 PM
Anthony Grant?

I kind of like a guy like Steve Alford

I like your free associations! Au contraire, I think AG would jump at the chance to take the helm and SA might like the Arizona sunshine.

Tucson is one sweet gig in December, January,February and March.

brevity
10-23-2008, 10:28 PM
Tucson is one sweet gig in December, January,February and March.

Anyone remember who said this 11 years ago?

"I'd like to go to Tucson, we deserve Tucson. I deserve Tucson. They'll probably put someone down there who doesn't like Mexican food, won't go in the sun or lust after the beautiful babes. If anybody deserves Tucson it's me."

weezie
10-23-2008, 11:39 PM
Tell!

Edouble
10-23-2008, 11:54 PM
Anyone remember who said this 11 years ago?

"I'd like to go to Tucson, we deserve Tucson. I deserve Tucson. They'll probably put someone down there who doesn't like Mexican food, won't go in the sun or lust after the beautiful babes. If anybody deserves Tucson it's me."

11 years ago, hmm... could that have been 1998 NCAA Tournament media darling Rick Majerus? ;)

Good quote.

BD80
10-24-2008, 12:31 AM
Parrish intimates that Lute had lost it two years ago

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/11056903

dkbaseball
10-24-2008, 09:36 AM
Lute was a class act, IMO, who took the role of educator seriously. From that standpoint, I wish K would adopt Lute's policy of open practices. I went around to Lute's practices quite a bit in the 88-89 season, when he kept his team in the top five all season, despite having lost Kerr, Tolbert and MacMillan from the previous season. It was a real learning experience.

One dissenting point to the DBR cover story: Tucson wasn't completely virgin territory for college hoops enthusiasm when Lute arrived. Fred "the Fox" Snowden made use of a recruiting pipeline to Detroit to keep McKale rocking during most of the '70s. Not the cleanest of programs, at least by reputation, but they won a lot, and people showed up and got excited.

JasonEvans
10-24-2008, 10:15 AM
If Arizona really wanted to make a splash, they'd get Josh Pastner to come back there as the head coach. He was a walk-on on their 1997 championship team, then became an assistant coach in his 20s and was a star recruiter. He left last year to go to Memphis to be an assistant and the head recruiter there. He's in his early 30's right now, so it wouldn't be the most traditional hire, but he's a rising star in the profession.

Pastner left for Memphis because he got passed over as associate head coach for Mike Dunlap. I am somewhat skeptical that they would turn to him now after sending him away in a huff just a short time ago. Plus, even though Josh is a fabulous recruiter, he has a rep as a guy who tries to "take shortcuts" and he might be dangerous as a head coach.

There is talk that Jim Rosborough will come back from his administration job to coach on an interim basis. He was Lute's longtime assistant.

Wanna hear a funny story-- top 100 SF Mike Moser is actually visiting Arizona today (http://www.azstarnet.com/sports/263965) on a recruiting visit. He has a non-refundable ticket so he has to come. I have no idea who will host his visit or how they can possibly talk to him about his future with the program. What a mess!!

--Jason "what really matters is what will happen to elite, top 10 PG Abdul Gaddy-- I bet he goes to UCLA" Evans

allenmurray
10-24-2008, 11:31 AM
Lute was a class act, IMO, who took the role of educator seriously.

From that standpoint, I wish K would adopt Lute's policy of open practices.

Open practices would be fun for the fans. Other than that, what does your first statement have to do with your second? Would open practices do anything at all to make the players better students? Is it the job of the basketball coach to use his practice with his team to educate the fans about basketball? I really don't understand the connection between the two.

dkbaseball
10-24-2008, 12:25 PM
Open practices would be fun for the fans. Other than that, what does your first statement have to do with your second? Would open practices do anything at all to make the players better students? Is it the job of the basketball coach to use his practice with his team to educate the fans about basketball? I really don't understand the connection between the two.

Yeah, that was my thought -- expand the concept of education to include the general public, in a subject area of great interest to large numbers of people. I'm not terribly impressed with the notion of education as private property that's bought and paid for, and is the exclusive possession of the purchaser (or scholarship recipient, as the case may be). If these coaches are such great teachers and leaders, why shouldn't we all get the benefit, since we're not heading down to the registrar's office and asking for credit after watching practice?

And it was a genuine learning experience watching Lute bring a team together. As it was watching Gary Williams' practices, which, among other things, will help you give new meaning to the term volatility. I can still recall watching the ball sail over my head as he kicked it into the upper reaches of the stands at Cole, and then kicked his team off the floor.

Edouble
10-24-2008, 12:40 PM
Yeah, that was my thought -- expand the concept of education to include the general public, in a subject area of great interest to large numbers of people. I'm not terribly impressed with the notion of education as private property that's bought and paid for, and is the exclusive possession of the purchaser (or scholarship recipient, as the case may be). If these coaches are such great teachers and leaders, why shouldn't we all get the benefit, since we're not heading down to the registrar's office and asking for credit after watching practice?

And it was a genuine learning experience watching Lute bring a team together.

If we were to go and watch one of Lute's open practices, it would be a very poor education in defense indeed!

I think I get a pretty good basketball education from Coach K just from watching the games and seeing the different style adjustments from year to year. An open door policy on all practices is a difficult concept for me to handle. Lute was a self-proclaimed non-yeller, which, I think, may have contributed to the softeness of some of his teams. Sometimes you need to chew your team out, and Coach K, Roy, Pitino, Izzo, and all the great coaches do it. I don't think it's always appropriate to have full disclosure to the public in those situations.

Edouble
10-24-2008, 12:43 PM
And it was a genuine learning experience watching Lute bring a team together. As it was watching Gary Williams' practices, which, among other things, will help you give new meaning to the term volatility. I can still recall watching the ball sail over my head as he kicked it into the upper reaches of the stands at Cole, and then kicked his team off the floor.

Oh! You added some more while I was replying.

Those poor little Twerps! Seriously, if you have to get verbally abused, you shouldn't have to be publicly verbally abused. It's bad enough to get yelled at, but to have to be observed getting yelled at and just taking it: that really stinks.

gw67
10-24-2008, 12:58 PM
dkbaseball - Williams used to have open practices while at Cole but apparently the security setup is better at Comcast and my understanding is the practices are no longer open. I attended a couple of their open practices at Cole while waiting for my wife to finish visiting an old friend at the school and Williams didn't lose his cool either time. Of course, I was pretty far away and there may have been a few expletives that I didn't hear. One of the ex-Terps football players taped early football practices with the OK from Fridge and they were shown on local TV. I suspect that there was a good deal of editing to cut out the shouting and cussing. They plan to do the same for early basketball practices. Should be fun to see the final product.

gw67

jma4life
10-24-2008, 01:21 PM
Dkbaseball, Coach K's primary responsibility is to teach the players. It is quite possible that having an open practice would detract from his ability to teach the team. So while it would be great to have open practices, if it detracts from his main job, the job he is getting paid for, it is not something which should be done. Having done some coaching, I personally feel that I do a much better job when I have a closed gym setting than when there are a lot of people watching. The players are more focused on me than on outside distractions.

And let's not forget that Duke is trying to win games. They're working on plays, they're criticizing guys, etc. These things just aren't as effective with a crowd watching.

Stating that practices should be open for the benefit of the learning of society is definitely an argument that I have never heard (nor imagined hearing) proposed.

RainingThrees
10-27-2008, 12:15 AM
Abdul Gaddy has decommited from Arizona. He was their last class of 2009 commit.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/onthetrail?&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb %2frecruiting%2fonthetrail

delfrio
10-27-2008, 12:38 PM
Classes aren't open to everyone, they have size limits. So if a bball team has its full complement of players, managers, etc., can't you just make an argument that class is full?

Get on the wait list!

BD80
10-28-2008, 05:54 PM
ESPN is reporting that a doctor has stated that Lute had a stroke last year and that he was advised to retire.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3669415

Might explain his inconsistenties.

Or is this the start of UA damage control?

Anyone seen a Hippa wandering around here?

sagegrouse
10-29-2008, 12:00 PM
I feel sorry for Lute and his family and wish him well. But is the decline and fall of Lute Olson the longest death rattle in basketball history?

It was evident that even two years ago he wasn't right. First there was the bizarre divorce. If he wanted companionship, why did he marry a woman with two full time jobs (business and poitical)? If he wanted to run around at night (a la Midnight Luther) why did he get married -- he didn't need the money? Second, recent stories of his spaced-out press conference after losing in the NCAAs in 2007 are freaky and were well known at the time to UofA officials. His FMLA leave of absence last December was unprecedented (and unthinkable) for a coach that cared about his team and his school. The wild gyrations in selecting and managing his staff over the past year revealed a clinical level of paranoia (but I'm not a shrink) and left his program in the lurch when the inevitable happened.

Good grief, how would you like to be in the shoes of the UofA athletic director and president/chancellor watching all this unfold? "Can we put this on fast forward please?"

sagegrouse

BD80
11-05-2008, 09:42 AM
... how would you like to be in the shoes of the UofA athletic director and president/chancellor watching all this unfold? ...

ESPN is reporting on its ticker that Arizona has refused Jeff Withey's request to transfer.

NONE of the coaches that recruited him are at the school now. The medical condition of the coach was concealed from him. It appears that Olson lied to him about being able to coach him.

Strange decision to deny his reqest to transfer.

Interesting to contrast this case to Florida where Billy is willing to offer a 15th scholarship committment to get Kenny Boynton, knowing he will have to create 2 openings.

BD80
11-05-2008, 11:06 AM
ESPN is reporting on its ticker that Arizona has refused Jeff Withey's request to transfer. ...

"Simply put that's all there is; I've just denied the release." Livengood said his reason - the only one he gave - was that "it's in the best interest of the University of Arizona to have Jeff complete an academic year here. That's what the letter of intent states." Withey asked for the release last week. It's the first time in memory a men's basketball player has asked for a release and not been given one.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/ua/articles/2008/11/04/20081104spt-witheynogo.html?&wired

dukebluelemur
11-05-2008, 11:48 AM
Thats just mind-boggling.

sue71, esq
11-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Really? The "best interest of the University"? It's better for the University, but what of the individual? The heck with him? What happened to the best interest of the student-athlete?

bwi2
11-05-2008, 02:43 PM
Since classes have started, if Withey leaves now, he counts for 2 points against Arizona's APR (instead of one if he transfers at the end of the semester or year). This would drop their APR below 925; a one point hit would not.

Turtleboy
11-05-2008, 03:09 PM
Did Lute know he would be unable to coach when he recruited the kid? The stories I read indicate that the stroke was diagnosed fairly recently.

johnb
11-05-2008, 07:22 PM
wow--hard to see a justification.

BD80
11-14-2008, 06:32 PM
It sounds like AD Livengood is holding fast on screwing big man Jeff Withey, who has requested to transfer. Withey is not participating with the team after his request was denied.

[Az Star reprter Bruce] Pascoe has reported that if Withey were to leave, it could cost the UA basketball program a scholarship under NCAA Academic Progress Rate guidelines. Livengood hasn't said whether the scholarship issue was the reason for denying Withey's transfer.
"My very simple reason is I firmly believe, as the letter of intent states, that he needs to stay a full academic year," Livengood told Pascoe. "At the end of (the year) . . . I would gladly release him if he wanted."

http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/266200

Would transferring during the year affect the program's academic progress rate? The school would not get credit for his graduation no matter when he started, so the timing of his departure shouldn't hurt. Maybe he is one of a few good students on the team and Livengood wants to keep the team GPA up.

More from the article makes UA look REALLY bad:

The UA has granted many basketball players releases over the years. Most recently, freshman guard Laval Lucas-Perry was allowed to transfer last December. The UA also allowed incoming recruit Emmanuel Negedu to transfer in June following the departure of several assistant coaches. ...

Star sports columnist Greg Hansen reported Nov. 2 that Withey already had committed to play at the University of Louisville when Olson and former assistant basketball coach Josh Pastner persuaded him to decommit and come to Arizona.

Who will want to commit to a program where there is a history of holding its players hostage?

Worse, this is a kid that UA induced to break his commitment to another school!

Oh yeah. The interim coach hired his dad as the coach's aide (director of basketball operations). And dad has been sitting closer to the coach than the first choice of interim coach (assistant coach Mike Dunlap) and does more coaching than the assistant coach (which is forbidden under NCAA rules).

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/byauthor/266283

geraldsneighbor
12-30-2008, 12:22 AM
I was surprised we didn't have a thread on this yet. Any ideas who would want what seems to be a dream job for a guy ready to make the next leap. A few names I have heard thrown around are:

Mark Few, Gonzaga: His resume speaks for its self building a mid-major into a perennial tournament team. I think he would prefer Oregon though if that job ever opened. Both his parents live there, and he is pals with the AD. Not to mention all the Nike money that gets thrown at the place, and they are opening up a new facility next year.

Tom Izzo, Michigan State: While this may be a bit of a long shot, he could opt to make the leap. The Pac 10 IMO is a stronger basketball conference that is easier to recruit to. He has sort of built a legacy though in Lansing winning a NC.

Jamie Dixon, Pittsburgh: This move in a way would be full-circle for him. Ben Howland did a similar move going to UCLA, and has found success. I think even though he is a guy who has built something nice at Pitt, this could be a move interesting him. Obviously money would play a factor but playing in the Pac 10 is much easier on you as a coach night in and out then in the Big East. I think he would be a great fit with his age, and ability as a recruiter to draw kids to the dessert.

The crazy thing in all of this is Chase Buddinger if he returns for his senior year would most likely play under 4 coaches in 4 seasons. The kid deserves to be commended for sticking through something he didn't have in mind when he signed up.

Through all of this Arizona has still had solid casts which is so remarkable through all this turmoil. Obviously the Jennings thing hurt, but they do have 2 top 20 picks on their team this year with Buddinger and Jordan Hill. Last year they had a one and done with Jarryd Bayless, a guy I loved seeing play, and this year another solid guard in Nick Wise.

Thoughts?

wolfpackdevil
12-30-2008, 12:34 AM
I was surprised we didn't have a thread on this yet. Any ideas who would want what seems to be a dream job for a guy ready to make the next leap. A few names I have heard thrown around are:

Mark Few, Gonzaga: His resume speaks for its self building a mid-major into a perennial tournament team. I think he would prefer Oregon though if that job ever opened. Both his parents live there, and he is pals with the AD. Not to mention all the Nike money that gets thrown at the place, and they are opening up a new facility next year.

Tom Izzo, Michigan State: While this may be a bit of a long shot, he could opt to make the leap. The Pac 10 IMO is a stronger basketball conference that is easier to recruit to. He has sort of built a legacy though in Lansing winning a NC.

Jamie Dixon, Pittsburgh: This move in a way would be full-circle for him. Ben Howland did a similar move going to UCLA, and has found success. I think even though he is a guy who has built something nice at Pitt, this could be a move interesting him. Obviously money would play a factor but playing in the Pac 10 is much easier on you as a coach night in and out then in the Big East. I think he would be a great fit with his age, and ability as a recruiter to draw kids to the dessert.

The crazy thing in all of this is Chase Buddinger if he returns for his senior year would most likely play under 4 coaches in 4 seasons. The kid deserves to be commended for sticking through something he didn't have in mind when he signed up.

Through all of this Arizona has still had solid casts which is so remarkable through all this turmoil. Obviously the Jennings thing hurt, but they do have 2 top 20 picks on their team this year with Buddinger and Jordan Hill. Last year they had a one and done with Jarryd Bayless, a guy I loved seeing play, and this year another solid guard in Nick Wise.

Thoughts?

I think that all of those guys are great, but I don't think they will leave. Izzo and Dixon I think are content in big conferences and are having great success.

I think Few could possibly go, but I think with Gonzaga in the National picture, I think he wants to finish what he started.

I think that Mike Davis could get the job. He has recruited a lot of great guys to UAB, and has them playing well.

But I don't see too many canidates out there right now.

brevity
12-30-2008, 12:57 AM
I was surprised we didn't have a thread on this yet.

We do (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12091).

I kind of wonder if Arizona is really all that great a job. Sure, I'd rather live in Tucson than in East Lansing or Pittsburgh, but I'm not sure it's a recruiting paradise. They've got Sweet 16 talent right now, but once the existing stars on that team have left, it's going to be a tough rebuild for the new coach.