PDA

View Full Version : Mangum "wrote" a book...

senkiri
10-23-2008, 11:09 AM
http://pirate.starnewsonline.com/default.asp?item=2275862&mode=

Just wondering if she can be sued for libel? Outrageous...

Turtleboy
10-23-2008, 11:19 AM
This quote from the linked article is pretty damning to her, if accurate.

God has given me the strength and courage to stand up. ... I'm a real person. I have feelings. I'm not just an ex-dancer. I'm not just someone who tried to frame someone who is innocent of sexual assault. My only intentions were for justice, and I wanted justice for myself.

TillyGalore
10-23-2008, 12:38 PM
I don't think there is anything damning in the book. She can't say who did what as that would bring on a suit, all she can and I think, does say is "something happened."

Interestingly, she wants to be believed but doesn't give any facts to back up her statements.

Also, the part of the book I read online was pretty poorly written and edited. This leads to a lack of credibility, in my mind, as regards the author and the content of the book.

Huh?
10-23-2008, 12:43 PM
Wow I wish the "n" and the "g" would switch places with one another in her name.

branchero
10-23-2008, 01:22 PM
I wonder whether Amazon will list this under "historical fiction"

DukieInKansas
10-23-2008, 01:32 PM
I wonder whether Amazon will list this under "historical fiction"

or should that be hysterical fiction?

branchero
10-23-2008, 01:35 PM
or should that be hysterical fiction?

Honestly, for accuracy's sake she should have done it as a Choose Your Own Adventure.

killerleft
10-23-2008, 01:40 PM
Make no mistake. This case is still cited, complete with proven lies accepted (nudge, nudge... wink, wink) as gospel, by Women's Studies departments and others who benefit from the telling.

The more lies the merrier. May we beat the University of Houston Baker to a pulp this weekend!

77devil
10-23-2008, 01:51 PM
The players should sue for defamation. They should ask for damages in the form of all book profits be awarded to an appropriate victims rights organization like The Innocents Project.

Check out the picture in the Yahoo story linked on the Main Page. Looks like Crystal's handlers gave her a major make over.

Mods, this would appear to be fodder for the OTB or PPB incidentally

TillyGalore
10-23-2008, 02:02 PM
The players should sue for defamation. They should ask for damages in the form of all book profits be awarded to an appropriate victims rights organization like The Innocents Project.

Check out the picture in the Yahoo story linked on the Main Page. Looks like Crystal's handlers gave her a major make over.

Mods, this would appear to be fodder for the OTB or PPB incidentally

How can they sue her if she doesn't come out right and accuse them by name of doing "something" to her?

Are you the mod for the mods?

77devil
10-23-2008, 02:35 PM
How can they sue her if she doesn't come out right and accuse them by name of doing "something" to her?

She states in the book "unequivocally" that she was assualted at 610 N. Buchanan but apparently offers no evidence to support her claim. She further states that the State of N.C. did not look into all that happened to her that night.

I am not at attorney but it seems logical that the players could file a collective action on the basis that her unsupported accusation defames all of their reputations. Persumably the publisher hired lawyers to vet the book so perhaps litigation is a stretch. Perhaps the members of the Bar on the board will enlighten us.

The AG gave Crystal a public pass by not prosecuting her for making serious, false allegations. They conceivably could revist that decision since CM has chosen to call out the State, in effect. Probably not a good PR move though. The AG is probably content to let CM continue to undermine herself.

Bluedog
10-23-2008, 02:36 PM
for damages in the form of all book profits be awarded to an appropriate victims rights organization like The Innocents Project

I don't think that would be wise as this book's profits are going to approach $0.. ;) Also, she has no other money that we know of so suing her might be a waste of time....but who knows.

Yeah, she looks 1,000 times better. Hardly looks like the same person.

Interesting that the AP has FINALLY revealed her name....I guess they decided that if an accuser publicly comes out and wants the publicity, then it's okay to reveal her name.

Turtleboy
10-23-2008, 03:06 PM
I don't think there is anything damning in the book. I'm not sure if this is in response to my post, but in case it is, I will point out that I said the quote was damning to her. Here is the part I was talking about.--
I'm not just someone who tried to frame someone who is innocent of sexual assault.

TillyGalore
10-23-2008, 03:13 PM
I'm not sure if this is in response to my post, but in case it is, I will point out that I said the quote was damning to her. Here is the part I was talking about.--

Sorry, misunderstood.

DukieInKansas
10-23-2008, 04:55 PM

I am not at attorney but it seems logical that the players could file a collective action on the basis that her unsupported accusation defames all of their reputations. Persumably the publisher hired lawyers to vet the book so perhaps litigation is a stretch. Perhaps the members of the Bar on the board will enlighten us.

I doubt they had a lawyer vet the book. From the selection I saw, it doesn't look like there was even an editor to correct the grammar and spelling errors.

rasputin
10-23-2008, 05:25 PM

One of the requirements for a defamation case is that the defamatory material be "of and concerning" the plaintiff. Naming names isn't strictly necessary. Sometimes it is very clear from context elsewhere who the defamatory material was about.

Lulu
10-23-2008, 06:44 PM
I believe this whole "naming names" thing is completely bunk. Someone only has to be "identified", not "named". There are many ways to identify one specific individual without giving their name so I think this particular legal debate might be nonsense.

However, I suppose she could make the argument that she was never 100% sure of her identifications in the police lineup, and Nifong used additional "evidence" to bring charges against the accused. Did she ever say she was absolutely certain of any of the 3? I simply don't know the answer.

If she ever did claim that she was certain of any of the identifications, however, then it seems she has now put herself in a logical trap. By asserting that she could now be referring to other individuals, and not the formerly accused, she would be blatantly admitting to having made false accusations 2 years ago, wouldn't she? I'd like to see how that is addressed in court if a libel suit is brought.

"The Last Dance for Grace"? I wonder who came up with that. Was it just me or did anyone else read that and think of Nancy Grace?

godukecom
10-23-2008, 08:34 PM
I tried reading an excerpt, silly me...
Ill try again when they come out with the english text

RainingThrees
10-23-2008, 09:40 PM
I just read a small part of the excerpt and am laughing to myself. Here are some of my favorite quotes...

"The contempt and outright hatred for this woman proffered was that she had gone out on purpose to bring down innocent men in some kind of conspiracy with the Mike Nifong. Astonishing!

Is this a elementary student writing this book? "The Mike Nifong"?

"Based on what I had read, I never could have imagined her being an ordinary adult college student who had a family, friends, and a desire to work with troubled kids."

How can she work with troubled kids? Thats like the blind leading the blind!!

I had to stop there, mostly because I became bored of the rants against the defense lawyers and the attacks against right wing conservative bloggers who are painted as racist idiots.

I do feel sorry for her though, and hopefully she will accept the truth and move on to do something constructive with her life.

ncexnyc
10-23-2008, 11:09 PM
I believe Motley Crue said it best in their song, "Girl Don't Go Away Mad, Girl Just Go Away."

formerdukeathlete
10-24-2008, 04:52 PM
I just read a small part of the excerpt and am laughing to myself. Here are some of my favorite quotes...

"The contempt and outright hatred for this woman proffered was that she had gone out on purpose to bring down innocent men in some kind of conspiracy with the Mike Nifong. Astonishing!

"Based on what I had read, I never could have imagined her being an ordinary adult college student who had a family, friends, and a desire to work with troubled kids."

How can she work with troubled kids? Thats like the blind leading the blind!!

I had to stop there, mostly because I became bored of the rants against the defense lawyers and the attacks against right wing conservative bloggers who are painted as racist idiots.

I do feel sorry for her though, and hopefully she will accept the truth and move on to do something constructive with her life.

Mangum falsely accused, and was prepared to provide false testimony in court to put away innocent individuals. Mangum falsely accused others of rape prior to the lax incident, perhaps more than once. The circumstances of her administrative discharge from the Navy may be telling. I find her opportunistic and malicious. She garners no sympathy from this poster.

RelativeWays
10-24-2008, 07:29 PM
I'm with FDA here. Mangum wanted to cash in, was too stupid to realize that rape is a criminal case that you can't settle out of court, so she has fallen back to plan b, write a book and try to con either Lifetime or Oxygen to buying the made for TV movie rights. She'll be sued for libel, lose everything she might have gained, and hopefully will slither back to whatever gutter she came from. Before I thought she was just stupid enough to believe she could get some hush money by yelling rape accusations to anyone who would listen and just didn't realize how fast things would escalate. Part of that is probably true but she's still looking to see what she can get out of it. She isn't without guile. I think she must have misunderstood one of the defense lawyers who probably told her if she wrote a book she'd pay. I think she heard if she wrote a book, she'd get paid. Whoops.

AtlBluRew
10-24-2008, 10:02 PM
Mangum falsely accused, and was prepared to provide false testimony in court to put away innocent individuals. Mangum falsely accused others of rape prior to the lax incident, perhaps more than once. The circumstances of her administrative discharge from the Navy may be telling. I find her opportunistic and malicious. She garners no sympathy from this poster.

I too have absolutely no sympathy for Mangum.

Devilsfan
10-25-2008, 08:06 AM
It's time to take the gloves off! She should be sued, pursue taking her child from her and being placed in a good home with responsible parenting and give all proceeds of the book to a charity like Duke C Hospital IMO. The players, parents and council have admirably taken the high road but this is over the top and time to do something to stop this absurd reopening of a very unfortunate chapter in Duke University's history.

SMO
10-25-2008, 08:51 AM
Her book, apparently, contradicts several of her own stories as well as AG Roy Cooper's report. I wonder if the AG takes kindly to being called a liar. Initially, I think the players asked that she not be prosecuted to put things behind them. At this point you have to think they may reconsider. I just wonder if Cooper would be willing to go back and charge her now. She has clearly solidified herself as a dangerous person and not a sympathetic figure with a new pack of lies.

jimsumner
10-25-2008, 10:20 AM
Roy Cooper was the first thing I thought of when I heard about this. To a layman like me, it seemed like Mangum was at great risk for charges like filing a false police report, perjury, or obstruction of justice [legal types, feel free to chime in here].

But Cooper let her walk. I remember thinking at the time that this left the door wide open for Mangum to come back at a later time with her "version" of the facts. And that's exactly what has happened. It seems like there was an implicit understanding from the state of NC that we'll let you slide back into obscurity but she's declined the offer.

I suspect charges would have been followed by a plea bargain rather than a trial but even a plea bargain would have been preferable to reopening this circus.

I wonder if Cooper is second-guessing his call on not prosecuting Mangum.

freedevil
10-25-2008, 12:16 PM
^ I'm willing to bet the statute of limitations on filing a false police report (if there is one) has not run...

killerleft
10-25-2008, 12:33 PM
I hope we get to hear some of the comments from the Group of 88. I can't envision any of them not being supportive in some way to Ms. Mangum.

The more the 88's are heard by the general public the better. The baring of their beliefs was an eye-opener for me. The large majority of the Duke community has been hurt by these "academics".

Since they were gracious enough to let us see the version of justice they espouse, we should make sure this "silver lining" of the sorry affair is not forgotten.

SMO
10-25-2008, 02:47 PM
I hope we get to hear some of the comments from the Group of 88. I can't envision any of them not being supportive in some way to Ms. Mangum.

The more the 88's are heard by the general public the better. The baring of their beliefs was an eye-opener for me. The large majority of the Duke community has been hurt by these "academics".

Since they were gracious enough to let us see the version of justice they espouse, we should make sure this "silver lining" of the sorry affair is not forgotten.

I'd love to hear them respond considering Mangum criticizes them in the book! Check out the synopsis at KC Johnson's site!

arnie
10-26-2008, 09:54 AM

I imagine this book will be on the required reading list in most of the Group of 88 classes. Afterall they believe the repeated rapes by the lacrosse team are representative of the social injustice in today's Durham. And if rapes did not really occur, who really cares.

Turtleboy
10-30-2008, 04:00 PM
Her book, apparently, contradicts several of her own stories as well as AG Roy Cooper's report. K C Johnson lays it all out. (http://durhamwonderland.blogspot.com/)

aimo
10-31-2008, 09:10 AM
I wish someone would get a copy of her transcript from NCCU. A bachelor's degree in police psychology?!?!? I think it's a slap in the face to real NCCU students who actually earned their degrees.

dukebluelemur
10-31-2008, 09:31 AM
I wish someone would get a copy of her transcript from NCCU. A bachelor's degree in police psychology?!?!? I think it's a slap in the face to real NCCU students who actually earned their degrees.

I dunno, I think she understood Nifong, Gotlieb and company's psychology pretty well. :mad:

killerleft
10-31-2008, 10:13 AM
She certainly knew the ins and outs of a witch hunt!

rsvman
10-31-2008, 12:33 PM

Apparently her ghost writer is Miss South Carolina.;)