PDA

View Full Version : Harrison Barnes visit reminder - CC's be ready

Smitty1911
10-21-2008, 01:56 PM
I'm not calling out the Crazies -- just looking to ignite the fire. Like most of you, I am REALLY hoping we can add Harrison Barnes to our potentially legendary 2010 recruiting class. The "Marshall Plumlee, Come to Duke" and various "See you soon" type chants for Ryan and Josh at the Blue-White game were kinda lame. There was a small group of students that chimed in, but it was quiet and died pretty fast. I was sitting behind Ryan, and by the time he and his friend realized what was being chanted, it was over. They just shrugged a little (he might've waved). We have to make Harrison feel at home this weekend, so his other visits are just going through the motions.

I don't know what the correlation is between CIS greetings and eventual commitments, but I remember some pretty rousing greetings in recent years that led to happy outcomes (e.g., Lance).

So, Crazies, spread the word that he will be there, and show him that no other arena comes close to our house!!

BlueintheFace
10-21-2008, 02:52 PM
in fairness there is never a cameron crazie section for the blue-white game due to the ticketing nature of the event. The first game with the crazies in full effect will be next game.

pratt '04
10-21-2008, 04:26 PM
in fairness there is never a cameron crazie section for the blue-white game due to the ticketing nature of the event. The first game with the crazies in full effect will be next game.

This weekend is parent's weekend, so there will be a lot of parents in the student section on Saturday. I wouldn't expect the student section to be in "full effect."

bdh21
10-21-2008, 04:57 PM

No excuse. This year there was the normal allotment of student seats for undergrads at the B/W scrimmage. The reason it is normally a ticketed game is because it normally falls on parents weekend (at least it did all 4 years I was there). This year parents weekend is a later weekend and I was able to sneak in with a duke card (score!).

cf-62
10-21-2008, 05:15 PM
I don't know what the correlation is between CIS greetings and eventual commitments, but I remember some pretty rousing greetings in recent years that led to happy outcomes (e.g., Lance).

Shaheen Holloway (1996 UCLA game), Chris Weber (1991 LSU game) -- proof that neither Cameron nor the student serenades don't sway the made up mind.

Seriously, those were special special days in the middle of February when it was 10 degrees with snow on the ground in Chris and Shaheen's home towns while 75 and sunny in Durham, the house was rocking more than most UNC games, and we beat the stuffing out of a national powerhouse (even in 96).

That said, it's better than ignoring the guy. Give him a good cheer CC's.

III
10-21-2008, 07:10 PM
I think a few things contributed to that (I was one of those chanting for them and others).

1. It was hard to keep cheers going when there were only seconds between the songs on the PA system. (I really, really hope that doesn't continue for actual games. Nothing should shield the other team from our heckling!)

2. If I recall, a couple of the visits were unannounced/changed the day, and thus people weren't sure if they were there or not. Usually such information makes it onto the cheer sheets, which helps make sure everyone joins in.

Seriously, I hope the music was a one-time thing. Virginia Union will be a different story, and Lenoir-Rhyne even more so.

Indoor66
10-21-2008, 08:14 PM
and Lenoir-Rhyne even more so.

If it is any incentive, Rick Barnes (Clemson, now Texas) is a Lenoir-Rhyne grad!

Ders24
10-21-2008, 08:29 PM
I think a few things contributed to that (I was one of those chanting for them and others).

1. It was hard to keep cheers going when there were only seconds between the songs on the PA system. (I really, really hope that doesn't continue for actual games. Nothing should shield the other team from our heckling!)

2. If I recall, a couple of the visits were unannounced/changed the day, and thus people weren't sure if they were there or not. Usually such information makes it onto the cheer sheets, which helps make sure everyone joins in.

Seriously, I hope the music was a one-time thing. Virginia Union will be a different story, and Lenoir-Rhyne even more so.

Personally, I think the real issue is that for blue/white a lot of the students in attendance were freshmen, who are unfamiliar with the normal cheers, much less those that are geared towards specific players they know nothing about. That prevents the cheers from catching on (cheer sheets usually don't make a difference about what catches on once a cheer is started). Many of the upperclassmen were at tailgate, or chose to do work before the football game. Not really saying this is an excuse, but just trying to shed some light on why it was particularly weak.

1Dukie
10-21-2008, 11:05 PM
WE WANT HARRISON! clap,clap-clap,clap,clap!

dukemomLA
10-22-2008, 01:54 AM
I'm sure I'll get lambasted for this post...so be it.

My daughter and son-in-law were Class of 2001. Perhaps the most amazing years of DukeBB, despite their angst of only one NC.

For the past couple of years, we've been concerned about the lack of creativity and missing excitement of the Cam Crazies.

So....students....get with the program!! There is an AMAZING tradition to uphold! Put your incredible minds to work...on new cheers...on welcoming potential recruits...on continuing making CIS the most dreaded place for an opposing team to frequent. Do us proud.

Hey, kids. You're not called the Cameron Crazies for nothin'. Show us your commitment. Show us your spunk. Show us your ability to truly live up to the tradition of a Cameron Crazie.

MulletMan
10-22-2008, 10:45 AM
No excuse. This year there was the normal allotment of student seats for undergrads at the B/W scrimmage. The reason it is normally a ticketed game is because it normally falls on parents weekend (at least it did all 4 years I was there). This year parents weekend is a later weekend and I was able to sneak in with a duke card (score!).

Where to start... ummm no, the undergrads did not have thier normal alotment of seats. People had tickets for Section 17. What section is that, you ask? Why, its the undergrad side of Cameron. Consequently, I find it difficult to believe that the undergrads had thier full alotment of tickets. Perhpas I'm wrong and these tickets were sold or given out minutes before the game began and the undergrads hadn't filled thier seats... but I doubt it.

For the record, Parent's Weekend isn't later... the Blue-White was a week earlier than normal. Remember, the first practice was last Friday. There is usually a week of ractice before Blue-White.

As far as telling the Crazies to step it up... are you guys serious? Really? After Blue-White? Look, I get that it would be great for us to get all of our big time recruits, but you can't truly believe that on Parent's weekend, with half of the student section filled with Duke families, that there's gonna be some raucous atmosphere for a D-II scrimmage.

As I've said many times before, and I'm sure I'll say many times again, the student section in Cameron is fluid... each generation of students makes it thier own. If you don't like that, tough. Yes, they all get that there is tradition, and yes, they all think they're creative. Heck, I thought we pulled off some of the best and most creative cheers and pranks in the history of that place, but you can't expect everyone to do it how you did it, or how it "should" be done. As long as its reasonably respectful and enthusiastic, that's where it needs to be.

If you want to say, "Hey Crazies... Player X is coming this weekend, try to make him feel welcome," then that's great. If you want to say, "Hey Crazies... Player X is coming this weekend, and you need to get off your pathetic butts and do something about it," just keep that nonsense to yourself. First off, its kind of rude. Second, ussually that kind of stuff doesn't work too well as a motivational tool.

watzone
10-22-2008, 11:28 AM
I just wanted to remind the students and or Cameron Crazies that a key prospect, Harrison Barnes will be in for a visit this weekend. He will attend the Virginia Union game and I hope that Cameron is rocking and that you give him a very warm welcome.

Barnes is a rising senior and is bright and very advanced on the basketball court. While his decision is expected to come later, let's make sure he knows he is wanted at Duke. He's easily one of the top five players in the country in his class.

Whoops! I didn't see the exisiting thread. Could we get Harrison Barnes name in the thread title???

Ignatius07
10-22-2008, 11:40 AM
Isn't Barnes a junior, not a senior?

BlueintheFace
10-22-2008, 11:43 AM
Isn't Barnes a junior, not a senior?

Oh my goodness, he is right! Watzone... I never thought I would see the day (shakes head sadly)

watzone
10-22-2008, 12:27 PM
Yes he is a junior. Brain pfewt.

bdh21
10-22-2008, 01:33 PM
Where to start... ummm no, the undergrads did not have thier normal alotment of seats. People had tickets for Section 17. What section is that, you ask? Why, its the undergrad side of Cameron. Consequently, I find it difficult to believe that the undergrads had thier full alotment of tickets. Perhpas I'm wrong and these tickets were sold or given out minutes before the game began and the undergrads hadn't filled thier seats... but I doubt it.

By bad on the normal allotment, but there was space for more students to swipe in as the scrimmage was starting, so presumably all the undergrads that wanted to be at the B/W scrimmage were in Cameron. Maybe there would have been more ugrads if so many hadn't skipped the scrimmage for tailgate but who knows.

For the record, Parent's Weekend isn't later... the Blue-White was a week earlier than normal. Remember, the first practice was last Friday. There is usually a week of ractice before Blue-White.

Regardless of which event got moved, Parents' Weekend is later in the year than the B/W scrimmage this year. Normally Parents' preclude any seats from being open to undergrads without tickets, but even without the full allotment, there were still plenty of undergrads that entered without a ticket.

As far as telling the Crazies to step it up... are you guys serious? Really? After Blue-White? Look, I get that it would be great for us to get all of our big time recruits, but you can't truly believe that on Parent's weekend, with half of the student section filled with Duke families, that there's gonna be some raucous atmosphere for a D-II scrimmage.

I can't argue with that.

PumpkinFunk
10-22-2008, 02:37 PM
Trying to get it really loud this weekend will be tough, given that it is the Parent's Weekend game. You have a couple students who are going to be there, parents or not, lound and ready, a bunch of students who haven't been to a game before, and parents who may or may not be nearly as active and able to cheer. It's tough to get it to be an atmosphere like it'll be for any ACC game.

BD80
10-22-2008, 02:56 PM
I just wanted to remind the students and or Cameron Crazies that a key prospect, Harrison Barnes will be in for a visit this weekend. He will attend the Virginia Union game and I hope that Cameron is rocking and that you give him a very warm welcome.

...While his decision is expected to come later, let's make sure he knows he is wanted at Duke. He's easily one of the top five players in the country in his class. ...

Calling him a key prospect is understating it. He is an immediate starter, the kind of talent that is necessary for national championships. With Miles, Olek, Mason, Ryan and Josh, Harrison will not get stuck in the post. He will be a perfect fit in the high-octane offense and pressure D that Coach K used in the Olympics.

Let's make him feel welcome!

Huh?
10-22-2008, 03:31 PM
Is this an official visit?

Anyone know what other visits he has slated?

crimsonandblue
10-22-2008, 03:45 PM
Is this an official visit?

Anyone know what other visits he has slated?

It's unofficial. He's paying his own way. Pretty impressive.

He's already unofficially visited Kansas for its midnight madness (now run at a more convenient 7-ish hour). I think that and Duke are his only currently slated unofficial visits.

http://www.phog.tv/images/latenight2008recruits/recruit5.jpg

Barnes is the one on the left in the white track suit. He's with '09 recruits Dom Cheek, Elijah Johnson, Michael Snaer and Xavier Henry. He scrimmaged with the current Kansas team and purportedly more than held his own. Great player and from all indications a great kid.

May he have the good sense not to become a Dukie. :)

watzone
10-22-2008, 04:15 PM
Yes. Duke and Kansas were out of pocket and will be the only visits going into his junior season.

Smitty1911
10-22-2008, 04:20 PM

As I've said many times before, and I'm sure I'll say many times again, the student section in Cameron is fluid... each generation of students makes it thier own. If you don't like that, tough. Yes, they all get that there is tradition, and yes, they all think they're creative. Heck, I thought we pulled off some of the best and most creative cheers and pranks in the history of that place, but you can't expect everyone to do it how you did it, or how it "should" be done. As long as its reasonably respectful and enthusiastic, that's where it needs to be.

If you want to say, "Hey Crazies... Player X is coming this weekend, try to make him feel welcome," then that's great. If you want to say, "Hey Crazies... Player X is coming this weekend, and you need to get off your pathetic butts and do something about it," just keep that nonsense to yourself. First off, its kind of rude. Second, ussually that kind of stuff doesn't work too well as a motivational tool.

Ah, the predictable overreaction post. So many reasonable responses and then there's this. I suggest you re-read my post, and you will see that the spirit of it was "Hey Crazies... Player X is coming this weekend, try to make him feel welcome." Not sure why that warranted your 5 paragraph rant.

-bdbd
10-22-2008, 05:27 PM
WE WANT HARRISON! clap,clap-clap,clap,clap!

Am really more interested in how we can figure out how to be creative and encourage young Mr. Barnes to see it our way.....

I like the simple one above. I'm also sure with a little info the CC's can also come up with something realy clever, as usual.

A quick Google search can get you a lot of info. But in short, Harrison is arguably the #1 player in his class! This is an important recruit for ANY program. He lives in Ames, Iowa and grew up an ISU (Cyclones) fan, where his dad played and his mom works. (But we have many examples, most recently the Plumlees, of HS players who grew up rooting for other college programs, only to visit Duke and K and then SEE THE LIGHT.) They are probably the favorites. But his folks apparently are encouraging him to take all of his visits and look at all of his options. Interestingly, he really takes his academics seriously -- he's a 4.0 student. At 6-6 and 195 lbs, I could see him fitting in perfectly (as a 2 or a 3) into Duke's motion offense, aggressive man-up D, and playing alongside Dawkins, Hairston, Kelly, Plumlee, Knight (?), Williams, Smith, et al.

Watzone has had a couple of great pieces up on him.

From ESPN :
Evaluation
Barnes may be the most promising 2-guard in the Class of 2010. There is no wasted motion to his game and his skills and athleticism are at the highest level. He possesses the prototypical frame for the 2-guard slot with long arms and overall great length that he uses well on the glass and the defensive end. Barnes is one of the smoothest shooters around; he has a feathery touch out beyond the 3-point line. He is equally good in a catch-n-shoot situation or off the bounce. He moves well without the ball and finds space to get his shot off. His handle is solid, although he could improve finishing with his left hand. His biggest asset may be his pull-up game; he is extremely good in the elbow area of the floor where he rises up and floats over the extended reach of the defender to get his shot off. In addition to all his skills, he isn't afraid to mix it up in the paint. In fact, he was one of the better rebounders of the event.

He has explosive leaping ability and good quickness, making him a very tough offensive player to handle. He has good range on his jump shot, easily connecting on 3-pointers. He can also get to the rim and use his leaping ability to finish in the paint. For the next level, Barnes will have to add a midrange, pull-up jumper to his arsenal, which would cause defenses fits given the fact he will elevate right over most defenders. Offers from: Duke, Iowa State, Iowa, Indiana, USC, Kansas, Texas, Maryland, Oklahoma, Minnesota, TCU. (More recent interest from Wisc., UNC, UCLA, others.)

Harrison is a skilled and athletic wing that is great now and has potential for improvement. He is a very good shooter out to 20 feet. He is an effective slasher but is mostly a jump shooter. If I were to compare him to someone in the NBA it would be Michael Finley. He is a decent defender that needs to take a little more pride in that end of the floor but he is not bad. He possesses solid length on his 6-6 frame. He is a good rebounder.

===

There's plenty on Harrison on chatboards out there, from KY fans (being their usual irrational selves...) to ISU to Wisconsin to UNC to UCLA and everywhere in between. I just wanted the Duke fans to be aware that Harrison is really a super talent and, most probably a future player in The Association. (That helps the chances of a program like Duke that has sent many similar players up to the next level.) He's a key target (the top target?) for Duke in 2010.

Let's hope his visit goes really well this weekend!

-BDBD
:cool:

MulletMan
10-23-2008, 09:30 AM
Ah, the predictable overreaction post. So many reasonable responses and then there's this. I suggest you re-read my post, and you will see that the spirit of it was "Hey Crazies... Player X is coming this weekend, try to make him feel welcome." Not sure why that warranted your 5 paragraph rant.

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize that, calling the Crazies efforts "lame" was all in good fun and not overly critical. My bad. Thanks for enlightening me.

Additionally, my response was to multiple post in the thread... not just yours.

ice-9
10-27-2008, 12:28 AM
Any news on Barnes post the VUU game? Did he scrimmage with our players? Has he said anything about the visit? Is it 50-50 with Duke and Kansas? Etc.

Here's to hoping he joins what's shaping to be a fantastic 2010 class!

Ima Facultiwyfe
10-27-2008, 05:44 AM
I didn't see any signs for him in Cameron or much of an effort by the Crazies. Did hear one "Come to Duke" chant which was quickly squelched by the band. Through my binoculars I could watch HB stretching and yawning. I think he smiled once. He looked really bored. I have no idea what all that means. Just observations from section 14.

Love, Ima

Kedsy
10-27-2008, 10:12 AM
I didn't see any signs for him in Cameron or much of an effort by the Crazies. Did hear one "Come to Duke" chant which was quickly squelched by the band. Through my binoculars I could watch HB stretching and yawning. I think he smiled once. He looked really bored. I have no idea what all that means. Just observations from section 14.

Love, Ima

That's a little disheartening. Although hopefully something like that's not a significant factor in his decision. Although, if things had gone another way, and he'd been electrified by his experience, then perhaps that could have been a significantly positive factor. Who knows?

jimsumner
10-27-2008, 10:20 AM
"Through my binoculars I could watch HB stretching and yawning. I think he smiled once. He looked really bored. I have no idea what all that means. Just observations from section 14."

I'm going to have to disagree here. I had a pretty good view of the gang from press row. Barnes seemed relaxed but seemed to be having a good time, lots of smiles, and a great reaction to an emphatic dunk by Thomas. I didn't see anything that suggested boredom.

And Ryan Kelly looks like a kid on Christmas morning who just came down the stairs and has discovered that Santa brought him everything he asked for.

Ima Facultiwyfe
10-27-2008, 10:33 AM
You were closer than I was, so I hope you are right. I should also remind myself that sometimes it's pretty cool to try and look a little bored at this age, bless his heart.;)

Still, it's true that I had hoped to see more of a welcome.
Love, Ima

bigj4194
10-27-2008, 10:50 AM

Love, Ima

Well...my fellow line monitors and I tried to get a Harrison Barnes Come to Duke chant going 3 times, each squelched by the band (curses DUMB)...we also got a Harrison Barnes Sit With Us chant going at the end of halftime which I think he heard, but didn't acknowledge us. I think part of the reason we were able to not get a good cheer going was the student section was full of parents.

I heard a rumor floating around during the game that Kenny Boynton was present at the game in addition to Harrison Barnes and Ryan Kelly...is this true?

jimsumner
10-27-2008, 10:50 AM
It does seem strange that everytime the Crazies start a recruit-specific-chant, either the band starts playing or the PA comes on. This stuff is pretty structured but you think there could be a little wiggle room here.

But I think it's safe to say that Duke got its chance to sell the program about as well as could be hoped for.

jimsumner
10-27-2008, 10:52 AM
Andre Dawkins was at the game. Boynton was in Gainesville. He'll be in Durham directly. Be patient.

bigj4194
10-27-2008, 12:09 PM
Thanks jim...thats what I thought but other people were telling me differently

Ders24
10-27-2008, 12:22 PM
Well...my fellow line monitors and I tried to get a Harrison Barnes Come to Duke chant going 3 times, each squelched by the band (curses DUMB)...we also got a Harrison Barnes Sit With Us chant going at the end of halftime which I think he heard, but didn't acknowledge us. I think part of the reason we were able to not get a good cheer going was the student section was full of parents.

I heard a rumor floating around during the game that Kenny Boynton was present at the game in addition to Harrison Barnes and Ryan Kelly...is this true?

At one point we had the grad section involved (before DUMB started), and I heard from over there that he did acknowledge it. So even though it wasn't as loud as it could have been, he did hear it.

jacalcio18
10-27-2008, 01:22 PM
I'm pretty sure Harrison Barnes was in town this past weekend for the Virginia Union game. Did anyone spot him at the game? Also, did the CC's do a cheer for him during the game? I believe Kenny Boynton is set to visit in the upcoming couple of weeks as well. Does anyone have any good news about potential commits?

SilkyJ
10-27-2008, 01:22 PM
Andre Dawkins was at the game. Boynton was in Gainesville. He'll be in Durham directly. Be patient.

seems like boynton has taken 5 trips to UF...ugh...

Kedsy
10-27-2008, 01:25 PM
I'm pretty sure Harrison Barnes was in town this past weekend for the Virginia Union game. Did anyone spot him at the game? Also, did the CC's do a cheer for him during the game? I believe Kenny Boynton is set to visit in the upcoming couple of weeks as well. Does anyone have any good news about potential commits?

There's an active thread on this topic already.

vango
10-28-2008, 09:05 AM
seems like boynton has taken 5 trips to UF...ugh...

True, but wasn't last weekend his official Florida visit weekend? Plus, UF is up the road and being able to walk into, and probably get nice seats, to one of the best football teams in the country, with some of the best matchups, etc. is hard to turn down. If memory serves he also visited USC during their 1 vs. 5 "game of the early season" home matchup with Ohio State. Maybe the guy just likes football.

Our turn is coming in a couple weeks.