PDA

View Full Version : Seth Davis Weighs In

slower
10-17-2008, 03:32 PM
Go to SI.com for his latest "20 Questions" article. And here's the money line:

"But as good as Paulus has been -- and for much of the last two years, he has been Duke's best player...".

Hoo boy. Do we assume that Seth really believes this to be true? And if so, does this indicate that he's just not paying attention?

Ignatius07
10-17-2008, 03:48 PM
I certainly would not have used the words "for much of" the last two years, but you could certainly say "for part of."

I'm surprised you didn't mention the fact that he thinks there is a legitimate chance that Smith would start over Paulus. I would be ecstatic if Smith has earned a starting role over Paulus - because it would mean he has improved on those aspects of his game which are holding him back from being a very good PG (eg decision-making). Hopefully the B-W game tomorrow will give us a taste of the strides he and the other players have made.

CDu
10-17-2008, 03:50 PM

"But as good as Paulus has been -- and for much of the last two years, he has been Duke's best player...".

Hoo boy. Do we assume that Seth really believes this to be true? And if so, does this indicate that he's just not paying attention?

I think it's just Seth's way of trying to not sound like he's slamming Paulus. But if you consider the fact that in '06/'07 he was expected to run the offense and be a playmaker for our young offense, then I think it's very hard to argue that he was our best player. Realistically, I think our best player two years ago was by far Josh McRoberts. Last year, our best players were Nelson, Singler, and Henderson.

slower
10-17-2008, 04:22 PM
I think it's just Seth's way of trying to not sound like he's slamming Paulus. But if you consider the fact that in '06/'07 he was expected to run the offense and be a playmaker for our young offense, then I think it's very hard to argue that he was our best player. Realistically, I think our best player two years ago was by far Josh McRoberts. Last year, our best players were Nelson, Singler, and Henderson.

agreed

Jaymf7
10-17-2008, 04:59 PM
It is very hard for me to define what it means to be the "best player". It is the same debate with MVP awards in major league sports (is it most statistically impressive, most dominant, most irreplaceable, etc.). There really is no dispute that Paulus has not been our most talented or gifted player over the past two years. He certainly does not have the ridiculous physical tools or NBA potential of some of our other players. That said, a fair case can be made that he has been our best player.

Over the past two years, Paulus has been just about the only player to deliver on a consistent basis. When McRoberts was around and we had our rough stretch at the end of the year, it was Paulus who took the key shots and tried to pull us through (and often carried his own load but fell short because he had no support). Paulus had the courage to lead when no one else would or could.

Last year, Paulus ran the offense and was likely our most dangerous scoring threat. Granted, he did not draw the defenses' attention like Singler or Markie, but he shot the most 3s, he made the highest percentage of those, he led the team in assists, he had a 2/1 A/TO ratio, and he arguably was the team's leader. He obviously was far from perfect, and when he faltered the team followed.

It may be proof of the team's immaturity over the past couple years, but I think it is fair to say that at many points over those years Paulus was the one who stepped up and carried us. I suspect this year he will have lots of company.

slower
10-17-2008, 05:23 PM
...and was likely our most dangerous scoring threat.

open to debate - but I guess I can see your argument

dukebballcamper90-91
10-17-2008, 05:32 PM
I like GP3 taking the BIG SHOTS. He has a real nice stroke and doesn't take bad shots.

BlueintheFace
10-17-2008, 07:54 PM
All I know is (1) Paulus will be the starter at the beginning of the season and Nolan will have to take it from him. It will not, as many suggest, be given to him on potential or athletic prowess... and (2) Paulus will be in the game at the end in March when it gets close.

...everything else is part of the show baby

mgtr
10-17-2008, 10:12 PM
All I know is (1) Paulus will be the starter at the beginning of the season and Nolan will have to take it from him. It will not, as many suggest, be given to him on potential or athletic prowess... and (2) Paulus will be in the game at the end in March when it gets close.

I believe he has it right!!!!!

Devilsfan
10-17-2008, 11:38 PM
Sorry but who's seth davis? And should anybody really give a rat's behind what he thinks?

Jumbo
10-18-2008, 02:58 AM
All I know is (1) Paulus will be the starter at the beginning of the season and Nolan will have to take it from him.
When is the beginning of the season? Today? The first game? Are you saying there's no way Paulus doesn't start the opener?

It will not, as many suggest, be given to him on potential or athletic prowess...
Nor will Paulus be given the position because he's had it for three years.

Houston
10-18-2008, 10:21 AM

I think Seth Davis is dead on. Over the past two year GP was probably the team's best player. In several big games Greg put the team on his back and in some of the close games almost single handedly delivered the win. However, players improve and teams evolve. When Chris replaced Nate in 2001, the move worked for the team.

moonpie23
10-18-2008, 10:39 AM
i agree....there is a mindset of GP that exemplifies duke. NS would have to really do some special things (and not just at practice) to take greg's job..

i am getting psyched for the season...

SupaDave
10-18-2008, 12:41 PM
Paulus has been great for us - he's pretty much the heart of the team and has never complained.

We should see plenty of Nolan and Greg TOGETHER this year so him taking GP's spot is really just conjecture.

Many end of the game scenarios will involve Greg at the 1, Nolan at the two, Gerald/Scheyer at the three, Gerald/Lance/Kyle at the 4 and Kyle/Zoubek/Lance at the four/five - but that's just for starters. We have a wonderful situation this year with our depth.

Classof06
10-18-2008, 02:53 PM

Hope that's a joke. With all due respect to Paulus, I think even he'd admit that he had a sophomore season from hell. He rebounded nicely last season but was still not the best player on the team. The best shooter? Yes. The best player? Not to me.