PDA

View Full Version : NC State-Florida State

wolfpackdevil
10-16-2008, 05:09 PM
Just a game thread for the NC State/Florida State game.

Im about to head over to Carter-Finley, and this could be the last chance for the pack to get to a bowl game.

Thoughts on game and teams...

TwoDukeTattoos
10-16-2008, 08:40 PM
State up 10-3 with 9:47 to go in 2nd.

Hurley2Hill
10-16-2008, 09:26 PM
Best moment so far: Erin Andrews' halftime half-interview with a flustered old man in FSU gear.

Newton_14
10-16-2008, 10:19 PM
Great game with about 10 minutes left. 2 lead changes in the last 3 minutes. FSU 20-17 at the moment..

davekay1971
10-17-2008, 10:25 AM
Frustrating game! State will look at this game as one they let get away. Hopefully they'll grow from it. They had FSU 3rd and VERY LONG so many times, and let them off the hook. NCSU keeps showing promise, but they can't seem to turn the corner and get the win. In a situation where UNC and Duke have programs that are clearly improving, and Wake has established itself as a perennial contender, Tom O'Brien needs to get something positive going quickly at State.

devildeac
10-17-2008, 11:47 AM
Frustrating game! State will look at this game as one they let get away. Hopefully they'll grow from it. They had FSU 3rd and VERY LONG so many times, and let them off the hook. NCSU keeps showing promise, but they can't seem to turn the corner and get the win. In a situation where UNC and Duke have programs that are clearly improving, and Wake has established itself as a perennial contender, Tom O'Brien needs to get something positive going quickly at State.

Hopefully, they'll have the same problems on 11/8/08 at WW;).

allenmurray
10-17-2008, 11:59 AM

Whenever the Wolfies had FSU 2nd and about 5 I kept hoping they wouldn't sack the QB - FSU was at its most effective on 3rd and 10+. Had State stopped just one of those third and very long plays the outcome would have been different.

This was my first time at Carter-Finley (actually my first time at a college FB game other than Duke in many, many years. Wow, what an atmosphere. 60,000 seats and almost all of them full - very loud, very red, and a very cool seat-card stunt. It felt like real college football. It gives me something to look forward to at WW in the years to come. As much as it pains me to say it, on this one FDA is right - remove the track, lower the field, and put the stands closer. I usually sit 27 rows up at WW at the 45 yard line. I was 30 rows up at Carter-Finley - almost identical distance from the field, but at the 25 yeard line. But I felt so much closer to the action and had a much better sight line. And, when you bought a soda you got the 20 oz. bottle and a full cup of ice, not one or the other.

Finally, after having attended an almost sold-out game at a stadium that holds 60k, on the same day as the opening of the NC State Fair, I will never complain about parking/walking at WW again (not that I ever have). We had a full 40 minute walk to the stadium on a dimly lit but heavily traveled Edwards Mill Road. but even that was fun if you kept the right frame of mind.

Thanks WolfpackDevil for a great time!

CDu
10-17-2008, 12:07 PM
As much as it pains me to say it, on this one FDA is right - remove the track, lower the field, and put the stands closer.

Step 1: get the fan base to show up consistently enough to actually warrant making such a major renovation. I could be wrong, but I think USC still has a track around their field, and their home crowd seems to still make a difference. But it doesn't make much sense to me to spend money increasing the size of the stadium until we see the seats packed enough to warrant that.

Hopefully, Cutcliffe and Co. are beginning to address Step 1. I've seen some games in which the place still looked pretty empty, so it remains to be seen I guess.

Indoor66
10-17-2008, 12:10 PM
Step 1: get the fan base to show up consistently enough to actually warrant making such a major renovation. I could be wrong, but I think USC still has a track around their field, and their home crowd seems to still make a difference. But it doesn't make much sense to me to spend money increasing the size of the stadium until we see the seats packed enough to warrant that.

Hopefully, Cutcliffe and Co. are beginning to address Step 1. I've seen some games in which the place still looked pretty empty, so it remains to be seen I guess.

I agree with you. Fix up what we got with an eye to additional improvements and expansion, but stage it to meet needs. The money pool is always a finite resource (except in Washington).

allenmurray
10-17-2008, 12:28 PM

I didn't mean to imply that we should do it any time soon - the cost can't be justified based on attendance. I was more speaking to my previous feelings that it wouldn't make that much of a difference anyway. I could never see what the big deal was regarding remvoing the track/lowering the field. Now I've seen what a difference it makes visually. That isn't to say it is (yet) justified.

CDu
10-17-2008, 12:39 PM
I didn't mean to imply that we should do it any time soon - the cost can't be justified based on attendance. I was more speaking to my previous feelings that it wouldn't make that much of a difference anyway. I could never see what the big deal was regarding remvoing the track/lowering the field. Now I've seen what a difference it makes visually. That isn't to say it is (yet) justified.

Gotcha. I'd agree that, if we have the fans, getting them closer to the action is a good idea. And it can create more of a home-field advantage. The key is obviously getting the fans. Otherwise, we just have a more glaring lack of a home-field advantage.