PDA

View Full Version : # 9 frontcourt?

RainingThrees
10-15-2008, 11:04 PM
According to SI Duke has the number 9 frontcourt in the nation? However, they say Duke doesn't have a top 15 backcourt? What!!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0810/cbk.top.frontcourts/content.1.html?eref=T1

Edouble
10-15-2008, 11:15 PM
According to SI Duke has the number 9 frontcourt in the nation? However, they say Duke doesn't have a top 15 backcourt? What!!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0810/cbk.top.frontcourts/content.1.html?eref=T1

Henderson (SF/3) and Singler (PF/4) are our two best players.

jimsumner
10-15-2008, 11:16 PM
It should be noted that SI lists Henderson in the frontcourt.

As they should.

Because Henderson is a forward.

And a forward is part of the frontcourt.

I do think a Scheyer-Paulus-Smith-Williams backcourt would make the top-15 but please don't think of Henderson as a college guard because that's not the position he's playing.

RainingThrees
10-15-2008, 11:20 PM
I know they include Henderson in the froncourt but a guard doesn't have to be the primary ball handler or a shooter. Like Demarcus, he was a slasher and was not the primary ball handler but was still a guard.

Edouble
10-15-2008, 11:21 PM
It should be noted that SI lists Henderson in the frontcourt.

And it should also be noted that they do so because Duke is listing him as a G/F.

In a basic player-by-position schematic, the only question on Duke's starting five is who is the "2" and who is the "3", assuming Paulus at "1", Singler at "4" and LT/Z at "5". With Scheyer having taken care of ballhandling and playmaking duties in the past, it's an easy decision to put Jon at the 2 and G at the 3, moving him into the frontcourt.

speedevil
10-15-2008, 11:26 PM

well did you read the reason for that ranking? if you did you would know si has listed henderson with the forwards in the front court not with the guards in the backcourt. obviously with henderson in the backcourt duke's backcourt rating would be rated higher. since henderson is listed as a forward, duke's frontcourt is rated higher.

Thats What!!!

reguardless of what si thinks duke is a backcourt team and a guard dominated team. si should be more flexible when rating teams, knowing duke plays 3 guards primarly.

Edouble
10-15-2008, 11:30 PM
I know they include Henderson in the froncourt but a guard doesn't have to be the primary ball handler or a shooter. Like Demarcus, he was a slasher and was not the primary ball handler but was still a guard.

Perhaps the very definition of a small forward?

RainingThrees
10-15-2008, 11:34 PM
Perhaps the very definition of a small forward?

Are small fowards 6'2"?

Edouble
10-15-2008, 11:52 PM
Are small fowards 6'2"?

If you're referring to Nelson... last year he was the shooting guard, and Hendo was the small forward. That's why Gerald is listed in the front court, and Scheyer, who is projected to join the starting line-up as Nelson's replacement, is listed as the shooting guard.

RainingThrees
10-15-2008, 11:57 PM
Back to my other post where I said that players don't have to be good shooters or primary ball handler's to be guards. Then I put Demarcus as an example of such a player. My point is that Henderson can still be a guard without having to be a good shooter or the primary ball handler, while you said in an earlier post that that that is the definition of a small foward.

CameronCrazy'11
10-16-2008, 12:41 AM
Henderson starts at the 3 because we start 3 guards, not because he's a forward. Singler played a lot of five last year, but that doesn't make him a center. At any rate, to say that our frontcourt is significantly better than our backcourt is downright laughable.

Edouble
10-16-2008, 01:19 AM
Henderson starts at the 3 because we start 3 guards, not because he's a forward.

He's listed, by Duke, as a G/F.

mgtr
10-16-2008, 08:25 AM
Henderson starts at the 3 because we start 3 guards, not because he's a forward. Singler played a lot of five last year, but that doesn't make him a center. At any rate, to say that our frontcourt is significantly better than our backcourt is downright laughable.

Why do we even care what SI thinks?

Carlos
10-16-2008, 09:06 AM
12 posts so far and nobody has trotted out "Duke doesn't have positions" yet? C'mon people, we're slipping here.

Seriously, if nothing else, this type of debate is a good illustration as to just how arbitrary and pointless this type of classification is. Ask any college basketball fan with a pulse where Duke is strongest and the answer is going to be the perimeter. They'll also tell you that the biggest area for concern is Duke's inside game.

SI says Duke has a top 15 frontcourt because Henderson and Singler are listed as forwards. Never mind that the strength of their individual games isn't so much post moves in the paint but rather using quickness and athleticism to create shots.

Oh well... at least it creates discussion.

quickgtp
10-16-2008, 09:15 AM
We are reading WAY too much into this. SI stated that Duke didn't list GH as a G/F until this year. That is completely wrong. Duke has listed GH that way since he started at Duke.

We need to remember that SI is an outdated sports news publication that is struggling to keep up with the current time in sports. This is just another example of that....

speedevil
10-17-2008, 03:21 AM
We are reading WAY too much into this. SI stated that Duke didn't list GH as a G/F until this year. That is completely wrong. Duke has listed GH that way since he started at Duke.

We need to remember that SI is an outdated sports news publication that is struggling to keep up with the current time in sports. This is just another example of that....

SI is overrated sports mag. they are usually a week late in all the sporting news anyways. im not surprise they are a year late in regards to henderson being listed as a g/f

RelativeWays
10-17-2008, 07:39 AM
Lets not forget another GH, Grant Hill, was in a similar position during his tenure at Duke. Prototypical SF that could play either SG or PG when called upon to do it. I still think of Grant as a small forward, I think Gerald will play more of the SF style this year but can handle the ball if needed like Grant.

CDu
10-17-2008, 09:37 AM
SI is simply sticking to a strict definition of the bigger wing player being considered a frontcourt player. And since Henderson played the "3" and some "4" last year (and will likely do the same this year), it's not THAT unreasonable in my opinion. The idea of the college "3" being a frontcourt player in general may be a bit outdated. But it's not absurd either. What IS absurd is that SI lists Danny Green as a backcourt guy and Marcus Ginyard as a frontcourt guy.

So if you assume Henderson in the frontcourt, then the backcourt is a PG who isn't really a PG anymore (Paulus), a SG that is being forced to play some PG (Smith), a freshman (Williams), and a solid but unspectacular wing (Scheyer). You could quibble with some of the backcourts listed, but I don't know that we stand out without Henderson listed as a backcourt player.

Bluedog
10-17-2008, 11:31 AM
So if you assume Henderson in the frontcourt, then the backcourt is a PG who isn't really a PG anymore (Paulus)

Huh? When did Paulus not become a PG? ;)

CDu
10-17-2008, 11:35 AM
Huh? When did Paulus not become a PG? ;)

He doesn't really play like a PG anymore. As of last year, he basically became a SG who frequently brought the ball up the floor. The offense went away from trying to rely on a playmaking PG last year because Paulus struggled with that role in his first two years.

Bluedog
10-17-2008, 11:41 AM
He doesn't really play like a PG anymore. As of last year, he basically became a SG who frequently brought the ball up the floor. The offense went away from trying to rely on a playmaking PG last year because Paulus struggled with that role in his first two years.

Yeah, I understood what you meant (hence the wink). I guess that wasn't clear. But, personally, I think Paulus' PG skills are better than most give him credit for, particular his court vision.

Scorp4me
10-17-2008, 01:23 PM
I'll take a point guard with Paulus A/TO ratio anyday.

Classof06
10-17-2008, 01:27 PM

Co-sign. Paulus is a 2 in a 1's body, plain and simple.

CDu
10-17-2008, 03:42 PM
Yeah, I understood what you meant (hence the wink). I guess that wasn't clear. But, personally, I think Paulus' PG skills are better than most give him credit for, particular his court vision.

Oops. My bad for misinterpreting. As you might have guessed from my previous posts, I tend to disagree on Paulus's PG skills. I agree that he has great court vision and he has good leadership skills and toughness. But I think his other PG attributes are subpar.