PDA

View Full Version : Peaches or Nectarines?

sue71, esq
10-15-2008, 10:25 PM
Does it really come down to fuzz vs no fuzz?

pamtar
10-15-2008, 10:41 PM
Nectarines are cleaner, slower rotting, and crisper to the bite. However, nothing beats a perfectly ripe peach in late summer.

brevity
10-15-2008, 10:50 PM
Nectarines are cleaner, slower rotting, and crisper to the bite.

You got it. People know what they're getting with nectarines. Peaches are a mystery; even the ones that feel firm are potentially smushy on the inside, and no one wants a smushy peach. By then you've got to blend it and put it into something else, like jam or hard cider. Why else do you think there are so many peach-related products out there?

CameronBornAndBred
10-15-2008, 11:25 PM
all depends on how fuzzy my mood is.

Ever eaten a peach on the beach, man?

devildeac
10-15-2008, 11:27 PM
Peaches 'cuz you can't make a cobbler/crisp/ice cream/cereal topping/ale out of nectarines:p.

gadzooks
10-15-2008, 11:28 PM
I love the taste of peaches, but even the thought of the fuzz on my tongue makes me squirm. Yes, I have some sensory issues. :D

CameronBornAndBred
10-15-2008, 11:32 PM
I love the taste of peaches, but even the thought of the fuzz on my tongue makes me squirm.

I have so many things I want to say. I'm going to bed before I get banned. Nite all!

devildeac
10-15-2008, 11:36 PM
I have so many things I want to say. I'm going to bed before I get banned. Nite all!

A very wise and prudent decision:o;).

sue71, esq
10-15-2008, 11:40 PM

Clearly you're channeling EJ or 2535. :eek:

dukemomLA
10-16-2008, 01:40 AM
When I lived on the East Coast, I loved peaches. Yum. But here in L.A. it's difficult to find a peach that isn't mealy, mushy or downright tasteless. So much to my chagrin I've switched to nectarines.

Ah....heading back East within the next year or so -- and look forward (again) to the perfect peach....and apricots...and Jersey tomatoes & corn.

DukeUsul
10-16-2008, 09:09 AM
We were eating peaches like they were going out of style over the last two months. Fresh NC peaches from the farmers' market. Yum!

Nectarines are inferior. Then again, I've never been able to find them fresh off the orchard, so I suppose that could change my mind. But the ones from the store are always hard and tasteless. I suppose store bought peaches are the same though.

Windsor
10-16-2008, 09:19 AM
A perfect peach is superior to a nectarine...but if you can't get locally grown peaches it is hard to find good ones. Mushy or mealy or hard as a rock ... blaaaaghh...nasty!

Nectarines are more consistent across the board so that is what I usally buy.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-16-2008, 09:32 AM
We were eating peaches like they were going out of style over the last two months. Fresh NC peaches from the farmers' market. Yum!

Nectarines are inferior. Then again, I've never been able to find them fresh off the orchard, so I suppose that could change my mind. But the ones from the store are always hard and tasteless. I suppose store bought peaches are the same though.

You can't beat the farmers' markets for great fresh fruits and veggies of all kinds!

As for choosing between a peach and a nectarine, why do we have to choose?

CathyCA
10-16-2008, 10:53 AM
Homemade peach ice cream.

There is nothing better.

devildeac
10-16-2008, 11:23 AM

There is nothing better.

Homemade strawberry ice cream with fresh NC strawberries would be mighty close:D.

CathyCA
10-16-2008, 11:32 AM
Homemade strawberry ice cream with fresh NC strawberries would be mighty close:D.

Yum. The strawberry ice cream would be in a very close second place. . .

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-16-2008, 11:39 AM
Have you had the fresh strawberry ice cream at the State Fair? The ice cream made by the NC State students is fabulous in all flavors, but the special strawberry stuff is available at a vendor nearby.... a family from Person County. Their strawberry milkshake....mmmmmm delish! It's worth the price of admission.

Haven't been to the state Fair in a few years, so I hope this vendor is still there.

rasputin
10-16-2008, 11:59 AM

There is nothing better.

I was just gonna post something about ice cream. I'm not particularly fond of peaches, but they do make nice ice cream. I'd still rather have fresh blueberries and make the ice cream with them. Mango is good too.

devildeac
10-16-2008, 11:59 AM
Have you had the fresh strawberry ice cream at the State Fair? The ice cream made by the NC State students is fabulous in all flavors, but the special strawberry stuff is available at a vendor nearby.... a family from Person County. Their strawberry milkshake....mmmmmm delish! It's worth the price of admission.

Haven't been to the state Fair in a few years, so I hope this vendor is still there.

It starts today at 3 PM so there is still time for a trip from W-S to the fairgrounds. Of course if you come today, you can get in all the opening day traffic AND ncsu-f$u traffic tonight:rolleyes:;).

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-16-2008, 12:21 PM
It starts today at 3 PM so there is still time for a trip from W-S to the fairgrounds. Of course if you come today, you can get in all the opening day traffic AND ncsu-f$u traffic tonight:rolleyes:;).
I think I'll observe all that from afar! I'll see you at the Blue & White scrimmage Saturday!

2535Miles
10-16-2008, 12:38 PM

There is nothing better.

Clearly neither of you have made Grandma's Lemon Ice Cream (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showpost.php?p=196630&postcount=79). Sure, I'm a bit partial but you better make it soon before it gets too cold for ice cream. :D

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-16-2008, 03:03 PM
Actually I mentioned the strawberry ice cream from Person County just in case you haven't sampled it yet.

I wouldn't dream of being anywhere near the state fair grounds today!

devildeac
10-16-2008, 03:23 PM
Actually I mentioned the strawberry ice cream from Person County just in case you haven't sampled it yet.

I wouldn't dream of being anywhere near the state fair grounds today!

I am working at Rex Hospital this afternoon, about a mile away from the fairgrounds. Just far enough away to be out of the traffic:D.

CathyCA
10-16-2008, 09:03 PM
Clearly neither of you have made Grandma's Lemon Ice Cream (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showpost.php?p=196630&postcount=79). Sure, I'm a bit partial but you better make it soon before it gets too cold for ice cream. :D

I read the recipe. I'd like a scoop of Grandma's Lemon Ice Cream with a slice of her pound cake on the side.

2535Miles
10-16-2008, 11:31 PM
I read the recipe. I'd like a scoop of Grandma's Lemon Ice Cream with a slice of her pound cake on the side.
Scoop on top of the pound cake goes great too!

sue71, esq
10-16-2008, 11:57 PM
Scoop on top of the pound cake goes great too!

You can make both in Nov. :D

2535Miles
10-17-2008, 01:55 AM
You can make both in Nov. :D
Now that is something I'd happily agree to do for you versus buying you dinner and every restaurant in Beverly Hills. :p

Back on topic. I like peaches for salsa.

blazindw
10-17-2008, 10:46 AM
Movin' to the country, gonna eat a lot of peaches
I'm movin' to the country, I'm gonna eat me a lot of peaches
I'm movin' to the country, I'm gonna eat a lot of peaches
Movin' to the country, I'm gonna eat a lot of peaches

Peaches come from a can, they were put there by a man
In a factory downtown
If I had my little way, I'd eat peaches everyday
Sun soaked in bowls just in the shade

I'm movin to the country, gonna eat a lot of peaches

I took a little nap where the roots all twist
Squished a rotten peach in my fist
And dreamed about you woman
I poked my finger down inside, makin' a little room for a ant to hide
Nature's candy in my hand or can or a pie

Millions of peaches, peaches for me
Millions of peaches, peaches for free

Look Out!

Look Out!

P.S. Does the name of the group that made this song famous make this PPB? ;)

devildeac
10-17-2008, 10:56 AM
I'm movin' to the country, I'm gonna eat me a lot of peaches
I'm movin' to the country, I'm gonna eat a lot of peaches

Peaches come from a can, they were put there by a man
In a factory downtown
If I had my little way, I'd eat peaches everyday
Sun soaked in bowls just in the shade

I'm movin to the country, gonna eat a lot of peaches

I took a little nap where the roots all twist
Squished a rotten peach in my fist
And dreamed about you woman
I poked my finger down inside, makin' a little room for a ant to hide
Nature's candy in my hand or can or a pie

Look Out!

Look Out!

P.S. Does the name of the group that made this song famous make this PPB? ;)

No, but very "presidential" nonetheless;).