PDA

View Full Version : Featherston Article on Czyz

Turtleboy
10-15-2008, 03:38 PM
There's some good stuff here.

http://www.goduke.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=1604101

gw67
10-15-2008, 04:08 PM
It is interesting that Coach K compares Czyz to Dan Meagher. I've never seen him play but his size, jumping ability and toughness made me think of the Canadian, Meagher, when dkbaseball first began describing him on this site. Danny was a starter his last two years and it would be nice if Czyz turned out to be a comparable player.

gw67

devildeac
10-15-2008, 04:11 PM
and he played soccer growing up...

wonder where that will lead us:rolleyes:?

SilkyJ
10-15-2008, 04:17 PM
Greybeard, please report to aisle 1 :p

seriously though, I don't know what kind of minutes he'll get this year, but they will be there for him down the road. Glad to see he is focused on improving his game, we all know he has the physical tools...

JBDuke
10-15-2008, 05:40 PM
Once again, a really, really good article from Al Featherston. I encourage all to follow the link and learn more about one of our newcomers.

heyman25
10-15-2008, 05:54 PM
What is the official pronunciation Chu - Liz; Chiz. It was not clear in Featherston's story. Polish can't quite be the same phonetics as English.

CLT Devil
10-15-2008, 06:59 PM
Seriously folks, he might turn out to be a decent player, if not good player, but let's keep our expectations in check. Under promise, over deliver are words I live by. Remember how Z was touted as 'The next Giminski?' How did that turn out? It's obviously going to take him a year or two just to get the system down. From what I've read he could be a lot like Carmen Wallace...great athleticism but hasn't been playing bball long enough to compete with kids who've played their whole lives. On the other end of the spectrum is Luol Deng, who had a relatively short bball career before college. Either way, I'm very happy he's a Bule Devil, just hope he doesn't get lost early and have too much ground to make up. He's definately the X Factor in this class.

MChambers
10-15-2008, 08:12 PM
Now this must be the post of the day! Bolt after one year, indeed!

One or two people here thought that might happen two years, after the Blue-White game, with Zoubek.

Think about it.

mgtr
10-15-2008, 09:59 PM
One or two people here thought that might happen two years, after the Blue-White game, with Zoubek.

Think about it.

I thought about it. They were dead wrong. Or, maybe just dead.

micah75
10-16-2008, 03:48 PM
I have nothing but the utmost respect for dkbaseball's 1st-hand scouting reports on Olek Czyz. After reading Mr. Featherston's excellent article on Olek, I wanted to express a comment or two. I decided to have a little fun with my post and injected what I felt was obvious hyperbole. It appears that most people took it the way it was intended, but that one or two were not amused. My apologies. Probably, I should have added a winkie or some sort of smilie. Sorry for the confusion. :)

1Devil
10-16-2008, 08:23 PM
Unlike many here (I suspect), I remember Danny Meagher very well. Meagher was about the same size as Czyz. He was not especially gifted at the game of basketball, but he was a tough player who fought hard. And he played on teams that really needed that toughness.

Probably their levels of basketball experience as freshmen is comparable. However, I think Czyz has much more physical ability than Meagher, and so I think Czyz projects to be a better player.

But will Czyz give us lifetime memories like "Meagher spit in your face"?

Newton_14
10-16-2008, 10:14 PM
Unlike many here (I suspect), I remember Danny Meagher very well. Meagher was about the same size as Czyz. He was not especially gifted at the game of basketball, but he was a tough player who fought hard. And he played on teams that really needed that toughness.

Probably their levels of basketball experience as freshmen is comparable. However, I think Czyz has much more physical ability than Meagher, and so I think Czyz projects to be a better player.

But will Czyz give us lifetime memories like "Meagher spit in your face"?

I agree. I saw Meagher's entire career and he developed into a very solid player. But he did not possess the hops and agility that Czyz has already shown. I believe Olek's ceiling is higher. Looking forward to seeing if he is able to develop quickly or if it will take a couple of years.