PDA

View Full Version : Elliot

I_am_a_Blue_Devil
10-15-2008, 11:06 AM
Doesnt seem to be a whole lot of talk about E. Williams as we near the season. Any reports on how he is doing and anyone else excited to see him play? I think when he, Singler, and Henderson are on the floor with Greg running the point at the same time other teams will be in some real trouble.

mddukefan
10-15-2008, 11:25 AM
I'm excited to see him play as well! I think his athleticism will cause a lot of problems throughout the season and having him really does soften the blow of losing Demarcus. IMO, I think him and Nolan coming of the bench, could be a very positive situation. We need offensive threats to be able to come in and contribute without missing a beat. That's one the things i loved about Scheyer as last year's sixth man. He could still come in and putup 15-20 points on any give night. There was no "dropoff" when he subbed in. It should be a similar sitation this year. I also think defensively he will help a ton because of his length and athletic ability. He could be a nice matchup for someone like Vasquez (or a longer guard like him)...

Cali-Duke
10-15-2008, 11:33 AM
Based on several preseason reports, including Lindy's, a bunch of analysts are saying that Elliott is up for most athletic on our team and will be "the most entertaining player" in the ACC. Great defender and extremely quick first step.

Personally, I think he will be amazing down the road, but as we've discussed countless times, let's wait till we see him play within the system. He sounds like a really hard worker, which will pay off as he adjusts to the college level.

BD80
10-15-2008, 11:42 AM
... Elliott is up for most athletic on our team ...

Most athletic on a team that has Gerald Henderson????

That gives me chills.

How many hours until practice starts??

Oriole Way
10-15-2008, 12:14 PM
Elliot's the most excited I've been about a player since Luol Deng was a freshman.

RainingThrees
10-16-2008, 12:39 AM
Just found this video and a big grin came across my face.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwN5fsjPWgE

The one thing people say he needs to work on is his range. But he seems to show good range in these videos although it's hard to tell from a highlight tape what his percentage is. I do know one thing, and that is that he is a smooth and explosive athlete who might become my favorite player at Duke in the next few seasons. And we all know what Dick Vitale will say when Elliot scores his first points in a Duke uniform. "OHHH!!! He is going to be a very special player at DUKE!"

bludvlman
10-16-2008, 04:14 AM
I'm very excited to see him but Josh McRoberts was the freshmen I was more excited to see at Duke before so we will see.

bludvlman
10-16-2008, 04:14 AM
He seems to be a lot taller and bigger than he is listed.

roywhite
10-16-2008, 07:27 AM
I wouldn't be upset if Elliot were able to establish himself as a defender before becoming a big scorer. Especially with the loss of DeMarcus, our best on-the-ball defender last year, we need some good perimeter defense.

Looking forward to seeing him, and all the guys---let the fun begin!

Kedsy
10-16-2008, 09:30 AM

This is why I believe we'll be playing a lot more of the four guard lineup than people think. Especially if Elliot's defense is as good as advertised, it's hard to imagine all five perimeter players (plus Kyle) not getting significant PT.

jv001
10-16-2008, 09:38 AM
This is why I believe we'll be playing a lot more of the four guard lineup than people think. Especially if Elliot's defense is as good as advertised, it's hard to imagine all five perimeter players (plus Kyle) not getting significant PT.

I agree we have a strong backcourt, but if Kyle has to play the 5 he will be worn down again by years end. Let's hope Zoubs improves enough to play 15-20 mins at the 5. That way Kyle can play his natural position PF. Just my take. Go Duke!

3rd Dukie
10-16-2008, 11:16 AM
Most athletic on a team that has Gerald Henderson????

That gives me chills.

How many hours until practice starts??

I agree completely. That is a thrilling thought.

RainingThrees
10-16-2008, 11:30 AM
If Elliot does extend his range he will be unstopable on the offensive end. Impossible to contain.

Indoor66
10-16-2008, 12:08 PM
If Elliot does extend his range he will be unstopable on the offensive end. Impossible to contain.

That is amazing analysis. Have you seen more than youtube highlights?

SilkyJ
10-16-2008, 12:49 PM
Elliot's the most excited I've been about a player since Luol Deng was a freshman.

That's a bold statement. I was way more excited about JJ and Singler. But to each his own. Here's to hoping he's as good as any/all of those three.

That is amazing analysis. Have you seen more than youtube highlights?

of course he has! all those pickups games with Horvath!

mr. synellinden
10-16-2008, 03:36 PM
His playing style and body language remind me a lot of another slender wing guard who was a McDonald's All-American - Phil Henderson.

Williams seems to have a little bit more hop but their games otherwise appear to be very similar.

Newton_14
10-16-2008, 07:57 PM
I am excited about EW as well. I think he will be one of those freshmen that will be able to contribute from day one. My guess is he establishes himself in the regular rotation from the get go and stays there. I don't think he will start at any point this season but will come in as an early sub and get minutes no matter who the opponent is.

kramerbr
10-16-2008, 08:17 PM
I've only seen Elliot play in highlight videos, but he reminds me alot of Daniel Ewing. Ewing was a great player who played with a certain fire, so I will take that any day of the week.

speedevil
10-17-2008, 03:15 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwN5fsjPWgE

The one thing people say he needs to work on is his range. But he seems to show good range in these videos although it's hard to tell from a highlight tape what his percentage is. I do know one thing, and that is that he is a smooth and explosive athlete who might become my favorite player at Duke in the next few seasons. And we all know what Dick Vitale will say when Elliot scores his first points in a Duke uniform. "OHHH!!! He is going to be a very special player at DUKE!"

give him the rock and he will fill it up.

funny thought about the video...when it listed elliots assist per game at 4.6 per game, i thought i was going to see elliot drop some dimes, but the next clip was him taking a jumper! but elliot can really break his defender down, get into the lane for a score or dish it to the open player. cant wait to see him in duke blue

CDu
10-17-2008, 09:18 AM
That's a bold statement. I was way more excited about JJ and Singler. But to each his own. Here's to hoping he's as good as any/all of those three.

From the nitpick department, Deng was a freshman more recently than Redick. Otherwise, I agree that it's a bold statement. But, people can be excited about different players for different reasons. Singler was the bigger prospect, but Williams apparently has great athleticism (and was a pretty big prospect himself).

That said, I wasn't THAT impressed by the highlight video. Not that I don't think he'll be good. Just that I think you can probably make a similar tape for most upper-tier SG recruits.

Diddy
10-17-2008, 10:18 AM
We have 5 guys, who can work on the perimeter. Most of them are more suited to the 1 or 2 but Scheyer and Henderson can play the three as well. Williams might be able to give spot minutes at the three, but we don't know yet.

A previous poster was correct. Even if the "best" five players would be four guards and Singler, that is not a winning formula come March. First, if forces Singler to guard a center which will wear him down. Secondly, and of vastly more importance, Demarcus Nelson is no longer on the team. He was able to successfully guard apposing PFs on a regular basis and be successful. He was incredibly strong and hard nosed on D. Now, I love Hendo and Scheyer, but neither of them will EVER be the low post defender (against bigger foes) or rebounder that Nelson was.

Last year, we did technically run 4 guards and one F, but Nelson was a combo G/F who did a lot of low post type work. As good a players as both are, neither Hendo nor Scheyer are capable of delivering those quality minutes on the blocks.

Situationally, we may run the 4 guard on occaision, but I would not expect a steady dose of it at all this year. I think coach K will play three of Greg, Elliot, Nolan, Jon, and Gerald, depending on who has the hot hand. This will probably change from game to game, and the other two will still get quality minutes each game. We have the luxury of having a lot of options, and I think they will all get plenty of burn this year, but not at the same time.

We have to develop other post players, or it will be a short March again. Those posts don't have to be great, just capable, and we can make a run.

dukebballcamper90-91
10-17-2008, 10:55 AM
I can't wait til Saturday 1pm