PDA

View Full Version : 91-0 !?!?

sue71, esq
10-13-2008, 06:05 PM
Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool/rise/football/news/story?id=3641717)

The Estero High football staff gathered in head coach Rich Dombroski's office late Friday, almost in stunned silence.

Earlier that night, Estero lost to Naples High by 13.

Not by 13 points. By 13 touchdowns. That's right: Naples 91, Estero 0.

The rout fallout has been growing since the game ended.

"Hey," offered Estero defensive line coach Pat Hayes after the one-sided affair, "I didn't even know 91 was a multiple of seven."

With that, the coaches all got a much-needed laugh.

A half-hour away in Naples, Eagles coach Bill Kramer -- the man on the winning end -- could use one of those.

He looked at the scoreboard late in the game, saw 91-0, and said he felt sick to his stomach. Kramer's team ran only 31 plays and he kept most of his best players on the sideline -- for the entire game in some cases. But still Kramer knew what was coming.

Soon after the game ended, his inbox began filling with angry e-mails, some from Estero parents wondering why so many points were necessary, some from Naples parents wondering why their kids didn't play more in an effort to pad their stats.

Ben63
10-13-2008, 07:24 PM
In my area a few years ago the mighty Manheim Central beat Solanco 96-0!!

godukerocks
10-13-2008, 07:25 PM
I was reading the state scores in my local paper, and ran across that. My first impression was that of a coach running up the score on a rival, but it's good to see that wasn't the case.

But really, 91-0? Yikes!

sue71, esq
10-13-2008, 07:46 PM
Best line of the article:

"Hey," offered Estero defensive line coach Pat Hayes after the one-sided affair, "I didn't even know 91 was a multiple of seven."

CameronBornAndBred
10-13-2008, 08:30 PM
I was reading the state scores in my local paper, and ran across that. My first impression was that of a coach running up the score on a rival, but it's good to see that wasn't the case.

But really, 91-0? Yikes!

Can't keep the kids from playing, even if they are the scrubs. The only other thing he could do is tell the qb to spike it every down, that's almost worse than running it up.

Highlander
10-13-2008, 08:32 PM
My high school team won a game by 80 or 90 points one time. We went to a very small school, and the football team was only about 20-25 players deep. Even so, the end of the bench guys were getting TD's by the time it was all over.

JasonEvans
10-13-2008, 08:53 PM
Can't keep the kids from playing, even if they are the scrubs. The only other thing he could do is tell the qb to spike it every down, that's almost worse than running it up.

Exactly, the fault for this lies in the administrators or whoever scheduled this game. If the winning coach did not play his best players and still scored that many points then this is a game that had no business being played in the first place.

--Jason "the parents who complained about not getting to pad stats-- those folks are losers" Evans

mgtr
10-13-2008, 08:58 PM
The college where I taught, then a Division 2 school, won a basketball game 125-50. Our team played the bench the whole second half, but to no avail. It was not a happy win, we all felt bad for the other team. I think every team wants to win by 15, but no team wants to win by 75.

cbfx3
10-13-2008, 09:31 PM
My Jr High B-ball team (Oak Ridge Military) beat Hargrave 54 to 4.. they didnt score in the first half. I dont think we had more than 8 dressed

Carlos
10-13-2008, 09:36 PM
The Naples coach left 13 points on the table. He should have been going for 2-point conversions.

brevity
10-13-2008, 09:41 PM
I think every team wants to win by 15, but no team wants to win by 75.

Given the choice, I think Gardner-Webb would have liked to beat Kentucky (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=273110096) by 75.

sue71, esq
10-13-2008, 09:47 PM
The Naples coach left 13 points on the table. He should have been going for 2-point conversions.

Oooooh... ouch.

captmojo
10-13-2008, 10:51 PM
At halftime, trade uniforms with the band. They always wanted to play football. :D

hc5duke
10-14-2008, 12:14 AM
At halftime, trade uniforms with the band. They always wanted to play football. :D

nah, we just wanted to get into the basketball games ;)

killerleft
10-14-2008, 09:15 AM
My high school freshman basketball team got beat 110-39 by a team that had only 7th and 8th graders! They got all the breaks:o My contribution didn't come until the second half, way too late to stave off defeat!

allenmurray
10-14-2008, 10:42 AM
They only ran 31 plays? And scored 13 touchdowns? If they scored a touchdown on every posession they averaged less than 3 plays per posession.

Whichever two athletic directors scheduled this game (and it takes two) should be embarassed. Neither team got anything out of this, neither learned anything, and the winning coach will be criticized even though it sounds as though he did everything he could to avoid the situation.

blazindw
10-14-2008, 12:15 PM
What about Lisa Leslie in high school? I think she scored 101 points in the 1st half of a game. The other team didn't even come out for the 2nd half.

Also, in Detroit, Detroit Crockett's women's basketball games a few years back would lose games by huge margins. They lost games by the scores of 105-2, 96-4, and 98-2.

hurleyfor3
10-14-2008, 12:19 PM
Duke beat Harvard 130-54 in the first game of the 1989-90 season. Seventy-six points. Was that too many?

vango
10-14-2008, 02:45 PM
Back in the early 80's my high school beat a rival 85-0. Our starting TB scored 4 times on his first 5 runs with each run over 60 yards. I think it was 54-0 at the half. In the second half our OT played QB, our QB was our Center, OG played WR, etc. and we still scored. At the time it was fun b/c they were a rival whose school district bordered ours. Later on we found out that some of their players were very affected by it. The school had an assembly the Monday morning after the game encouraging the students to support the players. It was just humiliating for them. They almost had to forfeit the rest of the season because of kids quiting. After the first quarter our coaches tried to ease up, by the half we (players) tried to ease up, but short of falling down there wasn't much we could do. Maybe there should be a mercy rule in a case like that?????....