PDA

View Full Version : Tommy Bowden resigns from Clemson

TwoDukeTattoos
10-13-2008, 12:57 PM
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/rs/story/3727582/

MulletMan
10-13-2008, 01:01 PM
The quotes here (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3641028)from Cullen Harper are... ummm... rough to say the least.

Wander
10-13-2008, 01:07 PM
The final straw was probably announcing that he was going to bench Harper for the backup when the biggest problem is very obviously the offensive line and not the quarterback.

CameronBornAndBred
10-13-2008, 01:15 PM
"They just told us. It's what he deserved," said senior quarterback Cullen Harper, who was benched after the Tigers' loss to Wake Forest loss and replaced by highly regarded sophomore Willy Korn.

A little sour grapey.
It will be interesting to see how they handle the season from here. Should be an even more interesting matchup for Duke now.

BD80
10-13-2008, 02:51 PM
Wrong Bowden.

Well, actually he is one of two Bowdens that should go.

davekay1971
10-13-2008, 03:40 PM
This probably makes the Clemson game more challenging for Duke. I can imagine Clemson playing with some purpose for the rest of the season. The team seemed like it was quitting on Bowden. It's always easier to face a coach in a lame duck situation and a team that has quit than it is to face a team and coach all on a mission to prove that the lackluster first half of the season wasn't who they really are.

Cullen Harper, btw, has officially earned membership into the Crying Baby Club.

jagger
10-13-2008, 03:46 PM
A little sour grapey.

That's not what that means.

GADevilFan
10-13-2008, 03:51 PM
First of all let me say that I wish Cullen Harper had not made the comments he made. Sometimes, esp. when we are young, we can forget to censor ourselves.

However, he is a local kid, and although I certainly do not know him well, I will give him the benefit of the doubt. The entire situation had gotten out of control. He waited for his opportunity to play at Clemson, and all he did was win and set records. This season has been difficult and it seems to me he has no offensive line and poor play calling. Then his coach throws him under the bus to try to save his job.

Cullen will be fine, and will learn from this situation.

rasputin
10-13-2008, 04:19 PM
That's not what that means.

You seem to share one of my pet peeves. Sour grapes (from the fable) is when some knucklehead from UNC (was it Haywood?) dismissed the ACC Tournament as "small change," meaning they didn't really want to win it anyway. Sour grapes is not just generic whining or poor sportsmanship.

rockymtn devil
10-13-2008, 06:20 PM
This probably makes the Clemson game more challenging for Duke. I can imagine Clemson playing with some purpose for the rest of the season. The team seemed like it was quitting on Bowden. It's always easier to face a coach in a lame duck situation and a team that has quit than it is to face a team and coach all on a mission to prove that the lackluster first half of the season wasn't who they really are.

Cullen Harper, btw, has officially earned membership into the Crying Baby Club.

I'm not sure I buy this. What's gone on at Clemson this year is what goes on at Clemson every year. I don't think they quit. I think this year's team did what every Bowden-coached Clemson team has done--defy expectations and lose despite being the most talented team in the ACC.

Stewart Mandell at SI has a column up today that argues that Clemson had to fire Bowden now for fear that he would pull a Bowden--insert a backup QB, turn the season around and create a lot of optimism going into next season only to go 8-4 and start the circle over again. Getting rid of Bowden is at least an attempt to get that program out of the current cycle it's in.

Devilsfan
10-13-2008, 08:06 PM
And he was MUCH better than Terry, imo. Could Bobby really be their father?

RelativeWays
10-13-2008, 08:06 PM
Wow, the way the players and others associated with Clemson threw Tommy Bowden under the bus would make Al Davis blush. I thought Bowden would probably resign after this year falling short of expectations, and I think his dismissal would have been deserved, but it really seems like his players and the rest of the program hung him out to dry. I hope they lose every game the rest of year.....badly.

grossbus
10-13-2008, 08:08 PM
"Getting rid of Bowden is at least an attempt to get that program out of the current cycle it's in."

it may do that, but the new cycle may not be as good as the one they are in now.

Highlander
10-13-2008, 08:39 PM
Wow, the way the players and others associated with Clemson threw Tommy Bowden under the bus would make Al Davis blush. I thought Bowden would probably resign after this year falling short of expectations, and I think his dismissal would have been deserved, but it really seems like his players and the rest of the program hung him out to dry. I hope they lose every game the rest of year.....badly.

Tommy Bowden is to Clemson as Herb Sendek was to NCState

Both were good coaches. Both won more than they lost. Both consistently went to the postseason. Both failed to win championships with incredible consistency, and that fact is ultimately what did them both in (although to Herb's credit, he quit before they could fire him).

It was becoming increasingly obvious to everyone that Clemson would never win a national title with Tommy as their coach, and the fans and administration weren't willing to live with second fiddle anymore.

RelativeWays
10-13-2008, 08:46 PM
Tommy Bowden is to Clemson as Herb Sendek was to NCState

Both were good coaches. Both won more than they lost. Both consistently went to the postseason. Both failed to win championships with incredible consistency, and that fact is ultimately what did them both in (although to Herb's credit, he quit before they could fire him).

It was becoming increasingly obvious to everyone that Clemson would never win a national title with Tommy as their coach, and the fans and administration weren't willing to live with second fiddle anymore.

I don't question Clemson's decision, I question their timing. From all accounts, Tommy Bowden is a class guy and you'd think that he would be allowed to finish the season with some dignity. If State had pushed Herb Sendek to resign in the middle of the basketball season, I'd view that move as classless as well.

Highlander
10-13-2008, 08:58 PM
"Getting rid of Bowden is at least an attempt to get that program out of the current cycle it's in."

it may do that, but the new cycle may not be as good as the one they are in now.

Oh I agree. But it's also true that staying in their current cycle essentially accepts mediocrity, and Clemson fans were tired of being mediocre (by Clemson's standards).

If this were Duke Basketball instead of Clemson football, no one would be OK with 10-6 and 9-7 conference records for 5-6 straight years after being picked preseason #1 or #2 on an annual basis. So I applaud Clemson for taking the risk of getting worse in order to hopefully get better.

Highlander
10-13-2008, 09:06 PM
I don't question Clemson's decision, I question their timing. From all accounts, Tommy Bowden is a class guy and you'd think that he would be allowed to finish the season with some dignity. If State had pushed Herb Sendek to resign in the middle of the basketball season, I'd view that move as classless as well.

Well, we fired a coach midseason too (Franks), and it actually worked out pretty well (Roof won 2 conf games, including UNC), so I can't give them too much heat for doing what they think is in the best interest of their football program. I think that the team had quit on Bowden and keeping him around would have hurt them in recruiting and wasted the rest of the season. By firing him now they get to play the field for a new coach essentially by themselves for at least 2 months, and he gets a full season to entertain job offers while he sits home and collects a fat paycheck.

BD80
10-13-2008, 09:42 PM
... By firing him now they get to play the field for a new coach essentially by themselves for at least 2 months, and he gets a full season to entertain job offers while he sits home and collects a fat paycheck.

Does this give them an edge in the Lane Kiffin sweepstakes?

Devilsfan
10-13-2008, 10:02 PM
One national championship game and the crazy fans in the Carolinas think it's an national entitlement program. Clemson Football, "it is what it is". Maybe they'll bring back Danny.

jimsumner
10-13-2008, 10:14 PM
"Well, we fired a coach midseason too (Franks), and it actually worked out pretty well (Roof won 2 conf games, including UNC), "

Short-term maybe. But those two wins convinced Joe Alleva to take the "interim" off the title and we all know what happened after that.

Highlander
10-14-2008, 03:14 PM
According to today's Charlotte Observer (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college-football/story/252039.html), Bowden resigned, actually.

Bowden decided he'd done all he could do for Clemson football, telling his athletics director Monday he'd step aside for the future of the program.

AD Terry Don Phillips said his intent Monday morning was to have a candid, heart-to-heart with Bowden about the football team. So he was surprised when Bowden offered to walk away in midseason.

“There wasn't a gun to his head,” Phillips said.

“He put it on the table for the sake of the program. I agreed.”

VAGentleman05
10-14-2008, 08:27 PM
According to today's Charlotte Observer (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college-football/story/252039.html), Bowden resigned, actually.

Technically, perhaps, but I'm not sure it really counts as "resigning" when you receive a multi-million dollar buyout to hit the door. He "resigned" in the same way that Coach Gillen did a few years ago.

devildeac
10-14-2008, 10:54 PM
Technically, perhaps, but I'm not sure it really counts as "resigning" when you receive a multi-million dollar buyout to hit the door. He "resigned" in the same way that Coach Gillen did a few years ago.

Pete Gillen resigned? I thought he just took an extra long time-out:o:rolleyes:.

VAGentleman05
10-14-2008, 10:55 PM
Pete Gillen resigned? I thought he just took an extra long time-out:o:rolleyes:.

He wanted to, but he didn't have any left.

devildeac
10-14-2008, 11:13 PM
He wanted to, but he didn't have any left.

My bad, I forgot he still had time left on his contract:o:rolleyes:.