http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/college/recruiting/2008/267018.html

gotham devil
10-13-2008, 02:06 PM
signed the 25th best recruiting class this year according to Baseball America:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/college/recruiting/2008/267018.html

A better recruiting class than Miami and local rival UNC-Chapel Hill

Inonehand
10-13-2008, 04:18 PM
It is time to make an announcement as to what Duke is going to do with baseball facilities.

dkbaseball
10-13-2008, 05:55 PM
Interesting to see Oregon with a second straight top-notch recruiting haul, which will re-launch their program with a bang this year after a 28-year hiatus. Fat cat alums, including Phil Knight, just couldn't stomach seeing OSU win two national championships, so they dug pretty deep into the pockets to hire away CSU Fullerton's coach and build a state-of-the-art stadium. They could hit the ground running, as a lot of this first two classes of recruits are jucos.

Good on the Devils, though I think Hillier had one or two top 25 classes. I'm optimistic that McNalley is getting it done on the field, based on what I've read here.

dukeballer2294
10-13-2008, 07:42 PM
Im not a big fan of duke baseball and i would like to know.
1. How good are we?
2. Who is our coach and how much experience does he have with us?
3. Do we have any mlb prospects?

thanks

jimsumner
10-13-2008, 10:08 PM
" not a big fan of duke baseball and i would like to know.
"1. How good are we?"

Good not great. Getting better but the ACC is a brutal baseball conference. Only eight of the 12 teams make the ACC Tournament, which is being held in Durham next year. Making that eight-team field is a realistic goal and would be an accomplishment.

TBD. Sean McNally played at Duke, played in the minors, and is sharp as a tack. Duke is much more fundamentally sound than it was under his predecessor, Bill Hillier. Recruiting seems to be up. He's young, he loves Duke, and I think he's a keeper. But he still has to get it done.

Lots of pro prospects. Major league? Hard to tell. 1B Nate Freiman probably is the best, 6'8", 250, decent athleticism and has power to spare.

Pitcher Michael Seander was a top prospect a few years ago but has had significant arm troubles. He's a question mark.

Drew Wolcott is a huge RHP but has been inconsistent.

LHP Christopher Manno was the best pitcher last season and had a great summer in the Cape Cod League. But he's about 170 dripping wet and I suspect that's going to be a factor at the next level.

CF/closer Alex Hassan is a great defensive OF and hits for average. Not sure if projects as a major leaguer.

C Matt Williams is a very good defensive catcher but I'm not sure about his bat.

And the question you didn't ask. Duke baseball badly needs infrastructure improvements. New AD White is aware of these and has indicated to me that improving Coombs is a priority, although almost certainly behind Wade. But he wants to raise the money first and who knows in today's economic climate. But Coombs is a serious impediment to making Duke truly competitive at the highest level.

Inonehand
10-13-2008, 10:19 PM
Im not a big fan of duke baseball and i would like to know.
1. How good are we?

thanks

1) We finished 9th last year in the best conference in the country. Conceivably, a 7th place finish in the ACC gets you in the NCAA tournament. A worthwhile and reachable goal for the coming year. They have imporived each year.
2) Sean McNally, a 94 Duke Alum, is in his 4th year with the Devils I believe. He was an academic AA at Duke and played 10 years of professional baseball, topping out at the triple A level.
3) We had one player last year drafted that did not sign and I think 2 incoming freshmen that did not sign and at least one other player that is on the roster who was drafted out of high school. There are probably five more potential draft picks on the squad including a highly regarded pitcher.

dukeballer2294
10-13-2008, 10:55 PM
^ Thank you for informing me about our baseball team.