PDA

View Full Version : Henderson

Chard
02-28-2007, 11:29 PM
He had a good game. He is really starting to put together a solid offensive game. He was burning it up in the second half. The contact that sent him to the floor late in the game may have been the reason he had to leave the game. He was on a roll at that point. He almost took the game over by himself. I really liked what I saw.

vango
02-28-2007, 11:44 PM
He's looking for his shot more and more. The hesitation is gone and the confidence is growing. If he has a good game at UNC. Has a decent tournament. Watch out....

elvis14
02-28-2007, 11:47 PM
I was so bummed when Henderson was taken out of Paulus. That's when the game ended for Duke. I said it earlier today in another thread. Henderson can just be unreal. He's starting to show what he can do and he's going to be huge in the future. Oh and he has started to hit the 3 also, too cool.

mjones723
03-01-2007, 12:26 AM
God he is going to be a stud. I say we unleash him the rest of the year.

Chard
03-01-2007, 10:28 AM
Well, I could definitely see him getting more playing time on Sunday and in the ACC tourney. What will it hurt? The only thing that may be holding him back is the asthma.

So that brings up a question. Which player's minutes get depleted?

A-Tex Devil
03-01-2007, 11:52 AM
Well, I could definitely see him getting more playing time on Sunday and in the ACC tourney. What will it hurt? The only thing that may be holding him back is the asthma.

So that brings up a question. Which player's minutes get depleted?

I'm not sure it's a bad thing for Henderson to get about 10 more minutes (if asthma will allow) at the expense several players so it's less about benching someone in particular for him, but just getting Hendu out on the court more. He could be in for Paulus during those times when Scheyer is running the point, he can be in for Scheyer, for Nelson, for McClure if LT is also in. I'm not sure giving Henderson more minutes is at the expense of just one or two people having to ride the pine significantly more.

I don't know a whole lot about his asthma situation, but if he is able, we should be really be setting him up to score on offense. He's shown the ability. Hell, I don't mind him isolating himself one on one occasionally.

Our offense wasn't so bad last night, but I have noticed that we have a really bad pattern we fall into in almost every game (watch our infamous 4-9 minute droughts) where our offense consists of Paulus turning his back to the basket or picking up his dribble 35 feet away. If that doesn't create a turnover, he'll pass it to Demarcus who will force a drive into traffic or Josh at the top of the key who almost invariable leaves a layup a half a foot short. IMHO, allowing Henderson even more freedom to create (a la the old William Avery pull my jersey play) on his own occasionally could help establish another outlet for our offense to go to when it struggles -- and to get out of the bad habits that lead to the long scoring droughts we have had.

All that being said -- and the reason a coaches job is so difficult -- Henderson's defense is still getting there, so in a close game when you need stops, I still think you need Greg, Demarcus, Scheyer, Josh and McClure/Thomas on the floor. Maybe we could have Henderson in instead of McClure/Thomas, but would that lineup be too small?

Dukefan4Life
03-01-2007, 02:11 PM
That was the first game where i didnt see henderson nervous! He just played the game and was aggresive! i think with each passing game he is getting more confidence! i think next year he will be even better!

VaDukie
03-01-2007, 02:22 PM
If Henderson keeps up this type of play for the rest of the year, watch out. We'll be very dangerous.

dukepsy1963
03-01-2007, 02:27 PM
Somebody to scare the hell out of our opponents..... candidates, please step forward!!!

unwrinkled ear
03-01-2007, 04:00 PM
Henderson was really fantastic - and I'm glad they actually showed a replay of his play in the first half when he had his arms extended and just floated on his way to laying the ball in the basket.

I think Gary Williams actually did a good job coaching too - he had GH doubleteamed after we came back to tie it...

Chard
03-01-2007, 04:10 PM
Gary is a good coach. That was a very good time out.

I think the UNC game was the other time that Henderson just played with confidence.

I also agree with option of letting Henderson isolate one on one. He seems to be the only one that can create his own shot at any time. Well, except for when he is played by two players.

Carter431
03-01-2007, 04:15 PM
Gary is a good coach. That was a very good time out.

I think the UNC game was the other time that Henderson just played with confidence.

I also agree with option of letting Henderson isolate one on one. He seems to be the only one that can create his own shot at any time. Well, except for when he is played by two players.

I agree and I have to wonder if it was because he was playing his buddy, Wayne Ellington. I'm really hoping that he brings the same fire to the game on Sunday.

Chard
03-01-2007, 04:58 PM
I agree and I have to wonder if it was because he was playing his buddy, Wayne Ellington. I'm really hoping that he brings the same fire to the game on Sunday.

You and I think alike. I believe it was because he had a familiar face out there and it helped calm his nerves even though Ellington was on the other team. Henderson was very good in that first meeting. I hope he feels even better this time around.