PDA

View Full Version : MBB Rankings by NBA Talent

ice-9
10-12-2008, 09:39 PM
I didn't see a thread for this, but if this has been posted before my apologies: http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/11016034

It was a bit of an eye opener though to see how much NBA talent UConn and Louisville have.

bludvlman
10-12-2008, 11:39 PM
I personally don't see Handsborough, Lawson, are Ellington doing much in the NBA. Handsboro is not the best athelete, doesn't have an nba position do to his real lack of hight, and is slow off the dribble and has a slow jumpshot. Lawson isn't the best shooter, while being really fast he is just too small since he lacks the shooting ability to make up for his size. If JJ Redick doesn't play much in the NBA what makes Ellington any more likely. He is a bad defender, not the greatest athelete, and couldn't hold JJ's jock when it comes to shooting.

I am not completely sold on Singler being a real good NBA player, he has to prove to me that he has the inside game.

Henderson will be a star in the NBA. Everyone knows about his athletic ability but he has one of the sweetest turn around jump shots I've seen in a while. Needs to work on his 3pt shooting though.

Nolan Smith, well way to early and not quit the passer yet for me to see him as an NBA PG.

I actually think Scheyer can be a decent NBA player.

mo.st.dukie
10-13-2008, 01:07 AM
[QUOTE=bludvlman;204646]
I am not completely sold on Singler being a real good NBA player, he has to prove to me that he has the inside game.
[QUOTE]

I don't know, I highly doubt he'll play any post in the NBA, he's definitely more of a 3. He can defend quick guards and can step out and hit the three, I don't see him being an NBA big man.

Oriole Way
10-13-2008, 02:27 AM
I'm not convinced Singler has the quickness necessary to be a great NBA player. I want to see him drive to the rim as successfully and as often as he did in high school. He's been more of a jump shooter in college, and I think that he will not only improve his chances of flourishing in the NBA if he develops his dribble/drive, but it will make Duke a better team. He's such a matchup problem for anyone guarding him. It would result in more trips to the line and a more dynamic offensive game.

brevity
10-13-2008, 02:28 AM
I am not completely sold on Gary Parrish as a real sportswriter -- and with that choice of picture, a likeable human being -- but the argument he makes, while unoriginal, is hard to refute.

It's nice that he defers to DraftExpress, but the point system he uses is a little odd. He's giving the same number of points to all 2009 first round picks regardless of how high they get drafted. A better evaluation would have at least given more credit to lottery picks.

The list is pretty much what you'd expect if you were looking at preseason expectations. Arizona is an odd inclusion, seeing as how their tournament hopes seem up in the air at this point. And I would be somewhat surprised if Ohio State finished any higher than 3rd in the Big Ten.

dkbaseball
10-13-2008, 02:38 AM
I would be somewhat surprised if Ohio State finished any higher than 3rd in the Big Ten.

If they finish ahead of Purdue, Wisconsin or Michigan State I will genuflect in Thad Motta's general direction.

brevity
10-13-2008, 03:03 AM
If they finish ahead of Purdue, Wisconsin or Michigan State I will genuflect in Thad Motta's general direction.

I hope you mean "and" instead of "or." Everyone knows Bo Ryan is the greatest coach of this era (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11807), but it seems possible that Ohio State could finish ahead of Wisconsin for 3rd. Still, both teams are strictly second-tier compared to Purdue, which should win the Big Ten, and Michigan State, which I predict will be back in the Final Four. (And a local Final Four at that.)

Bluedog
10-13-2008, 09:59 AM
Ouch. Parrish takes a nice jab at us:

Seriously, they [UNC] should never lose a game. Ever. Not even at Cameron Indoor with two refs working against them.

Not that that is anything new.

Abraxas
10-13-2008, 10:37 AM
If you give each draft position the inverse number of drafted players (i.e.: 1 = 60, etc.) and you factor 2009 at 1.5 times the value of 2010, then, you will have:
1 North Carolina 243
2 UCLA 201.5
3 Ohio St 187.5
4 Connecticut 168
5 Wake Forest 154
6 Gonzaga 141.5
7 Arizona 136.5
8 Louisville 132
9 Oklahoma 129.5
10 Duke 127.5
11 Arizona St. 109.5
12 Tennessee 108.5
13 USC 105
14 Georgetown 103.5
15 Pittsburgh 86
16 Memphis 84
17 Texas 73.5
18 St. Mary's 70.5
19 Vanderbilt 67.5
20 Kentucky 66
21 Davidson 63
22 Kansas 60
23 Georgia Tech 58.5
24 Florida 57
25 West Virginia 52

COYS
10-13-2008, 10:39 AM
It's nice that he defers to DraftExpress, but the point system he uses is a little odd. He's giving the same number of points to all 2009 first round picks regardless of how high they get drafted. A better evaluation would have at least given more credit to lottery picks.

I completely agree, here. I think that if the point system were tweaked, it could certainly provide a better indicator of exactly what level of NBA talent a team possesses. Clearly, lottery picks mean more than early first rounders. I would argue that a top 5 pick should be weighted more than an average lottery pick, as well. But there are obviously a million flaws in this article, even though I don't disagree with the basic idea. Surefire lottery picks that stay in school for an extra year should be rated higher than freshman projected to be one-and-dones (Derrick Rose, if he had stayed for an extra year, should be rated higher than he was the previous year due to an extra year of experience). Experience counts. Similarly, I would argue that a veteran second rounder should maybe be rated equal to or higher than a late lottery/late first rounder. (Who would you rather have at the point on a national championship contender? A senior Chris Duhon or a freshman Javaris Crittenton?) In those situations, the late lottery, late first round freshman has shown flashes of brilliance, but has not played their way into elite status yet, meaning a savvy and consistent veteran could easily be more valuable come tourney time. Anyway, Brevity, your point is well taken. This system has to be overhauled if it is to provide any particularly revealing information.

COYS
10-13-2008, 11:00 AM
If you give each draft position the inverse number of drafted players (i.e.: 1 = 60, etc.) and you factor 2009 at 1.5 times the value of 2010, then, you will have:
1 North Carolina 243
2 UCLA 201.5
3 Ohio St 187.5
4 Connecticut 168
5 Wake Forest 154
6 Gonzaga 141.5
7 Arizona 136.5
8 Louisville 132
9 Oklahoma 129.5
10 Duke 127.5
11 Arizona St. 109.5
12 Tennessee 108.5
13 USC 105
14 Georgetown 103.5
15 Pittsburgh 86
16 Memphis 84
17 Texas 73.5
18 St. Mary's 70.5
19 Vanderbilt 67.5
20 Kentucky 66
21 Davidson 63
22 Kansas 60
23 Georgia Tech 58.5
24 Florida 57
25 West Virginia 52

I'm looking at this list (which is very interesting, by the way) and I thought of another problem with this method. If you look back to Florida in 2006, they didn't have a single projected 1st rounder before the season started, or at least that's true as far as I remember. I can't find a preseason mock draft for the 2006 draft offhand, but the draft express SEC preview for that year had Brewer as a 2nd team SEC and Horford as 3rd team, which hardly screams lottery pick for Horford and makes no mention of Noah. (http://www.draftexpress.com/article/SEC-West-Conference-Preview-1112/) Also, if I'm not mistaken, it wasn't until relatively late in the season that anyone even gave Florida a chance of making it to the final 4. Throughout their good start, most (including myself) continued to consider them more of a paper tiger than a true title contender. Obvious, Florida proved to have some really great players, but I'm not sure that their success could have been predicted by a preseason analysis like this one in 2005.

devildeac
10-13-2008, 03:24 PM
Ouch. Parrish takes a nice jab at us:

Not that that is anything new.

I read that, too. What a wanker! Does he not realize that it's THREE refs working the game and we have to pay all 3 of them to give us all the calls:rolleyes:.

weezie
10-13-2008, 04:52 PM
Gary's tiny head must be pounding from all that fancy 'rithmetic. Does he really get paid to come up with his theories?

wilko
10-13-2008, 05:06 PM
Does he not realize that it's THREE refs working the game and we have to pay all 3 of them to give us all the calls.

MAYBE we ** Should** start bribing the refs... If we are going to be accused of the crime we may as well get the satisfaction of doing it...

They think it bites now?!?!... IMAGINE How sweet it would be have the entire opposing team disqualified and the Coach tossed before they scored their 1st field goal?

SHHHHH! I KNOW its wrong but im enjoying the moment...

RainingThrees
10-18-2008, 01:40 PM
http://nbadraft.net/

Poll on who is the best pro prospect in the acc.