PDA

View Full Version : Czyz Dunk Tracker

BlueintheFace
10-12-2008, 09:31 PM
I have a proposition. In light of the various scouting reports and YouTube videos indicating that Olek essentially tries to dunk every time he is at all close to the rim, I propose that we keep track of the number of Olek Czyz dunks (and non-dunk field goals) throughout the season. We can call it the Czyz Dunk Tracker. I hereby designate this thread for such a purpose and secondarily for discussion regarding said dunks. I will conclude the inaugural Dunk Tracker post with a relevant video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2TXxeVy9h4

Dunk Count (10/12/08)= 0

Huh?
10-12-2008, 09:41 PM
Absolutely......will Scheyer ever dunk one or is he going to wait until his senior year like JJ?

365Duke
10-12-2008, 10:12 PM
No disrespect whatsoever. But i would love to have a dunker somewhere in between J. McRoberts and Z. Mcbob tried to dunk to much, and Z doesnt dunk enough. I thought this was just me, but now everyone in sec.5 now screams "dunk the ball!!!" as he tries to bank everything. Heres to confidence, big time for Z this year, throw it down big fella!

Edouble
10-13-2008, 12:45 AM
Zoubek doesn't dunk enough. This is a new one. I really don't care if he doesn't dunk all year if he's pulling down 7 boards per.

-jk
10-13-2008, 07:30 AM
Regardless of what Sportscenter teaches us with their deification of The Dunk, there is more to the game.

I'd rather pay attention to what K teaches Olek - footwork, teamwork, and winning games.

-j "I seem to be channelling Jumbo" k

Kedsy
10-13-2008, 09:27 AM
Zoubek doesn't dunk enough. This is a new one. I really don't care if he doesn't dunk all year if he's pulling down 7 boards per.

I have never seen Z dunk, but I've seen him miss layups, in situations where I wish he would have dunked. I don't care about the sizzle (or is it Czyzle?) of the dunk, but I do like the high-percentage nature of the shot. And I don't want to beat the anti-Z drum too vociferously, but if you're expecting 7 rpg from the big guy, you're probably going to be disappointed. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he gets 5.

dkbaseball
10-13-2008, 09:47 AM
I'd rather pay attention to what K teaches Olek - footwork, teamwork, and winning games.

Yeah, that is what's going to be interesting -- how the staff develops a player who I consider to be the equivalent of a five-tool prospect in baseball. He has a demonstrated knack for the latter two qualties mentioned above. If they can develop his footwork in and near the paint, things will get really interesting.

BlueintheFace
10-13-2008, 10:42 AM
Regardless of what Sportscenter teaches us with their deification of The Dunk, there is more to the game.

-j "I seem to be channelling Jumbo" k

Now jk, we both know that you and I and dkbaseball and JasonEvans and Jumbo and JimSumner and plenty others will spend our fair share of time talking about things like: his help-side defense, rotation off of screens, positioning in the post, attitude on the floor, etc...

BUT, we can still have our fun with a little Dunk Counter now can't we... Besides, when was the last time you can remember a Duke freshman's skill set and personality being UNDER-analyzed on this board?

Ignatius07
10-13-2008, 11:35 AM
BUT, we can still have our fun with a little Dunk Counter now can't we... Besides, when was the last time you can remember a Duke freshman's skill set and personality being UNDER-analyzed on this board?

Miles Plumlee?

Edouble
10-13-2008, 11:42 AM
And I don't want to beat the anti-Z drum too vociferously, but if you're expecting 7 rpg from the big guy, you're probably going to be disappointed. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he gets 5.

If Z plays the 20-25 mpg that many posters on this board are hoping for, he will be getting 7 rebounds per game, no question. Look at his stats and look at his height.

BlueintheFace
10-13-2008, 11:45 AM
Miles Plumlee?

Not Applicable- He hasn't played yet.

CLT Devil
10-13-2008, 12:15 PM
If Z is playing 20-25 mins per game we are in big trouble. Again nothing personal to him, but our talent level drops off significantly when he's incthe game. I honestly hope Im wrong, but based on past performance I would be happy if he only played 5 mins max per game.

Kedsy
10-13-2008, 12:33 PM
If Z plays the 20-25 mpg that many posters on this board are hoping for, he will be getting 7 rebounds per game, no question. Look at his stats and look at his height.

Well, as I've said on another thread, I highly doubt he'll be getting that many minutes.

Plus, I think your premise that you can simply extrapolate his per minute stats into 25 minutes may be flawed. Did you know that in 2004-05 Patrick Johnson would have had 7+ rebounds per game if he'd played 25 minutes? Andy Means, in 2001-02, and JD Simpson, in 2000-01, each would have had more than 8 rebounds per game if they'd gotten 25 minutes. Granted, they played fewer minutes than Zoubek has but, hey, look at the stats.

The thing is, when Zoubek plays only a few minutes, the team can slow down and play a style he's comfortable in. My recollection is Duke even played some zone when he was in the game. He's going to get his rebounds in a slow half-court offense and a zone defense. If he plays 25 minutes, though, and he's playing in Duke's Phoenix-style offense and switching man-to-man defense, there will be plenty of times when he doesn't get into offensive rebounding position quickly enough, or he'll be caught out of position on defense and be nowhere near the board.

Unless he's drastically improved his quickness and ability to run the floor and his defensive positioning. If he's done all that and he plays 25 minutes a game, he should get a lot more than 7 rebounds per game. But I'll believe that when I see it and, more to the point, the answer to this question has a whole lot more variables than just his height and his past statistics.

Just my opinion, of course.

Kfanarmy
10-13-2008, 01:52 PM
If Z is playing 20-25 mins per game we are in big trouble. Again nothing personal to him, but our talent level drops off significantly when he's incthe game.

Not only do I disagree with your assessment of his comparative talent/skills, but I disagree with your statement

but based on past performance I would be happy if he only played 5 mins max per game

Because if Z plays more than 5, the coaches think he is playing well and that means he is contributing to Ws. Your statement seems to idicate that you would be happy that he doesn't play well so that someone else can...meaning there is someone else on the team you'd rather see...

Huh?
10-13-2008, 02:01 PM
I like Z, but playing him in our up-tempo style isn't going to work. It will be nice to have him when teams slow the game down, or if we have to play a team like UCONN (teams with big, lumbering centers) in the tourney. He will be a valuable asset, but only in certain game situations.

killerleft
10-13-2008, 02:24 PM
I like Z, but playing him in our up-tempo style isn't going to work. It will be nice to have him when teams slow the game down, or if we have to play a team like UCONN (teams with big, lumbering centers) in the tourney. He will be a valuable asset, but only in certain game situations.

Coach K likes Z more than you do... I'm betting on at least 12-15 minutes a game.

El_Diablo
10-13-2008, 02:30 PM
Hey now! This thread is a dunk tracker for Olek! Take your talk about Z/rebounding/defense/footwork/mpg/etc elsewhere!

DUNK COUNT = 0

BlueintheFace
10-13-2008, 02:59 PM
Hey now! This thread is a dunk tracker for Olek! Take your talk about Z/rebounding/defense/footwork/mpg/etc elsewhere!

DUNK COUNT = 0

AMEN!!! Go hijack another thread!

Little Known Czyz Dunk Fact- Olek Czyz once dunked so hard he cured a child of blindness.

Kedsy
10-13-2008, 03:13 PM
Little Known Czyz Dunk Fact- Olek Czyz once dunked so hard he cured a child of blindness.

Excellent. (I laughed out loud at this.)

BlueintheFace
10-14-2008, 06:44 PM
Little Known Czyz Dunk Fact #2- Olek Czyz once dunked four balls through a hoop at the exact same time. When asked how he managed to overcome the laws of physics, he replied, "Once you figure out gravity, the rest is pretty easy."

jimsumner
10-14-2008, 06:59 PM
Is it possible that just maybe we're stereotyping Czyz just a little bit?

Bob Green
10-14-2008, 07:05 PM
I followed Czyz' senior season at Reno High School by reading all the articles and box scores, on his high school games, in the Reno online newspaper. One aspect of his game that hasn't received much attention is his free throw shooting. In high school, he consistently went to the free throw line and knocked down shots. This skill set should be valuable in the coming years.

mgtr
10-14-2008, 07:11 PM
I haven't seen either of them play, but I believe both Czyz and Plumlee have been sold short on this board. I am not arguing that each will start as a superstar, but I believe they will do OK as freshmen.

BlueintheFace
10-14-2008, 08:34 PM

Jim, why do you hate fun?

dkbaseball
10-14-2008, 08:45 PM

Well, that's the point I keep trying to make -- he's not a one-trick pony. He's a multi-skilled prospect, with no obvious ceiling on his abilities that I could see. In each of the 12 games I saw he threw down a couple of slams, and he likes to put a little extra mustard on them, but that's not what got my attention particularly. I knew he could jump. The things I noticed were how he runs the floor, his explosiveness, his coordination, his motor, his body language, his passing and team orientation, along with a nicely developing outside stroke.

And also what a remarkable specimen he is. There's something people need to understand about a tear-down sport like basketball -- conditioning in a stamina sense and sharpness are in tension with strength and explosiveness, and there's a fine line to be walked in maintaining all at optimal levels. In 30 years of playing competitive handball at a high level I never found the right mix, though I continually tried. I think K is still challenged to find the right mix. From what I can see there are two bodies on this team he can push as hard as he wants to, and they are just so naturally strong they will still have their burst at the end of the year -- Henderson and Czyz.

ACCBBallFan
10-14-2008, 08:59 PM
I have heard many make this assertion, but I counter with it does not have to be a 5 on none jail break to be uptempo.

The key is to have at least one more guy up the floor faster than the opponent even if that is 4 on 3 or less, 3 on 2 or less, 2 on one or none or a one on none breakaway.

Job one is to get the defensive board and outlet quickly but safely.

If Duke scores quickly it actually may help Zoubek's endurance and if not, Duke can revert to its half court offense and leverage his height and weight at least as a decoy to keep Singler and Henderson from being double teamed.

devildeac
10-14-2008, 11:06 PM
Well, that's the point I keep trying to make -- he's not a one-trick pony. He's a multi-skilled prospect, with no obvious ceiling on his abilities that I could see. In each of the 12 games I saw he threw down a couple of slams, and he likes to put a little extra mustard on them, but that's not what got my attention particularly. I knew he could jump. The things I noticed were how he runs the floor, his explosiveness, his coordination, his motor, his body language, his passing and team orientation, along with a nicely developing outside stroke.

And also what a remarkable specimen he is. There's something people need to understand about a tear-down sport like basketball -- conditioning in a stamina sense and sharpness are in tension with strength and explosiveness, and there's a fine line to be walked in maintaining all at optimal levels. In 30 years of playing competitive handball at a high level I never found the right mix, though I continually tried. I think K is still challenged to find the right mix. From what I can see there are two bodies on this team he can push as hard as he wants to, and they are just so naturally strong they will still have their burst at the end of the year -- Henderson and Czyz.

Just as an aside and a little added bonus, any one wish to guess his (Czyz') running vertical?

Huh?
10-15-2008, 09:40 AM
I have heard many make this assertion, but I counter with it does not have to be a 5 on none jail break to be uptempo.

The key is to have at least one more guy up the floor faster than the opponent even if that is 4 on 3 or less, 3 on 2 or less, 2 on one or none or a one on none breakaway.

Job one is to get the defensive board and outlet quickly but safely.

If Duke scores quickly it actually may help Zoubek's endurance and if not, Duke can revert to its half court offense and leverage his height and weight at least as a decoy to keep Singler and Henderson from being double teamed.

Good point.....That's all I've got right now.

jimsumner
10-15-2008, 09:47 AM
"Jim, why do you hate fun? "

It's a dirty job but somebody has to do it.

Besides, being board scold looks great on my resume.

BlueintheFace
10-15-2008, 03:41 PM
Al Featherston has an article on Olek...
http://www.goduke.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=1604101

There is one quote in particular that I find relevant to this thread.

He’d also like to show off his dunking skills.

“That’s something I’m always looking forward to do on the basketball court,” Czyz said. “That’s just my favorite way to score. When I don’t get dunks in a game, I’m not very happy with myself.”

YAH BABY!!!

BlueintheFace
10-17-2008, 07:38 PM
Get ready because the Dunk Tracker takes off soon. Here is a taste from dukeblueplanet.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCzxkxYELc8

...maybe E-will should have his own tracker... GEEZ!!

El_Diablo
10-17-2008, 09:20 PM
Get ready because the Dunk Tracker takes off soon. Here is a taste from dukeblueplanet.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCzxkxYELc8

...maybe E-will should have his own tracker... GEEZ!!

I can hear it now.

Mike Patrick: Williams goes baseline...

CHRUUHNK!

Dick Vitale: OOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! :eek:

mgtr
10-18-2008, 03:50 AM
You folks sound as if Zoubek should be playing on the Washington Generals in place of Bevo Francis. (Forour wet behind the ear members, the Generals are the team who plays the Globetrotters, and generally lose and are frequently humiliated. The trotters warm up to Sweet Georgia Brown, the middle part, as played by Brother Bones in 1949.

slower
10-18-2008, 07:44 AM
You folks sound as if Zoubek should be playing on the Washington Generals in place of Bevo Francis. (Forour wet behind the ear members, the Generals are the team who plays the Globetrotters, and generally lose and are frequently humiliated. The trotters warm up to Sweet Georgia Brown, the middle part, as played by Brother Bones in 1949.

Wow. What a gigantic insult to Bevo Francis. Here's part of his Wiki entry:

"Born Clarence Francis on 4 September 1932, Bevo Francis went on to become one of the greatest scorers in college basketball history during his career at Rio Grande College. He was 6'9, and was known for his great shooting touch.

In 1953, Bevo averaged 48.3 points a game, which is an NCAA record. This included a record 113 in a single game. He actually averaged 50.1 points per game over the season, but the NCAA excluded some of his best games because they were against lesser competition, such as junior colleges. One of the games that did not count during his career was an 116 point game against Ashland Junior College. In 1954, he averaged 48.0 points a game. He still holds the top two scoring averages in NAIA history, along with many NCAA records.

Bevo Francis and his coach Newt Oliver later signed with Boston Whirlwinds, a barnstorming team that played against the Harlem Globetrotters. He was later drafted by Philadelphia of the NBA, but after two seasons of constant travel with the Whirlwinds opted to return home to his wife and family."

Read the whole entry to see people make comparisons to George Mikan and marvel at Bevo's shooting touch. Don't be hatin' on Bevo! ;)

Truth
10-18-2008, 01:31 PM
Dunk #1 is in the books!

BlueintheFace
10-18-2008, 05:25 PM
Dunk Count=1

BlueintheFace
11-05-2008, 09:04 PM
Dunk Count= 2
Non Dunk Fg=0

RainingThrees
11-05-2008, 09:06 PM
We should start a Henderson dunk tracker. That would be more fun plus I don't see OC playing to much this year unless we get into some serious foul trouble.

phaedrus
11-05-2008, 09:38 PM
It took him about 5 seconds of pt to throw one down tonight.