PDA

View Full Version : North Carolina 29, Notre Dame 24

DownEastDevil
10-11-2008, 06:20 PM
I just noticed that Sexton and Barth are wearing #11. I didn't know it was legal for 2 players from the same team to wear the same nunmber. What if Sexton went out for a fake fiield goal, how would the other team know it wasn't the kicker?

Acymetric
10-11-2008, 06:29 PM
Ok, that play, along with some plays that I saw when USC lost have convinced me that the rules for intentional grounding need to be tightened up. If anyone say Sexton's toss to escape what was going to be about a 15 yard sack, stuff like that should be intentional grounding. I hate that.

OZZIE4DUKE
10-11-2008, 07:18 PM
Ok, that play, along with some plays that I saw when USC lost have convinced me that the rules for intentional grounding need to be tightened up. If anyone say Sexton's toss to escape what was going to be about a 15 yard sack, stuff like that should be intentional grounding. I hate that.

Sexton threw and underhanded toss towards a legal receiver. The ball landed within a few feet of him. It was a legal pass and good play by Sexton.

carolina got somewhat screwed on the reception and fumble call on 3rd down under 2 minutes. I was hoping it would happen again and ND would get one more play to win the game, but alas, it didn't happen. Bummer.

NYC Duke Fan
10-11-2008, 10:14 PM
I watched the UNC-Notre Dame game today and saw the Duke-Georgia Tech game last week, and it is quite apparant that UNC is much better than Duke. Butch Davis has done a terrific job in resurrecting UNC football program.

Here's hoping that Coach Cutliffe can do the same for Duke.

captmojo
10-12-2008, 05:22 AM
Sexton threw and underhanded toss towards a legal receiver. The ball landed within a few feet of him. It was a legal pass and good play by Sexton.

carolina got somewhat screwed on the reception and fumble call on 3rd down under 2 minutes. I was hoping it would happen again and ND would get one more play to win the game, but alas, it didn't happen. Bummer.

Unfortunately the Zebras got the last replay right.

I think Davis showed a lack of class by running straight across the field to greet Weiss before the gun. :mad: He had to realize the play would go under review.

EKU1969
10-12-2008, 08:32 AM
I just noticed that Sexton and Barth are wearing #11. I didn't know it was legal for 2 players from the same team to wear the same nunmber. What if Sexton went out for a fake fiield goal, how would the other team know it wasn't the kicker?

This has become quite prevalent in recent years due to the high number of players allowed to suit up for games. Usually, no two players from one side of the ball (offense or defense) are allowed the same number, but you can have say a running back with number 21 and a defensive back with number 21 without problem. I see your point about confusion with a QB and kicker, but perhaps it's just an honor system type thing. Texas was the first team I remember doing this. With 100 numbers to pick from, not counting 0, 00, 000, etc., I am ot quite sure why they find it necessary to suit up that many players, but that's the best answer I can come up with.

westwall
10-12-2008, 08:49 AM
--jhoagland is correct, and a number of big programs use double numbers. For example, if you watch an Ohio State game, you will notice that both quarterback Terrelle Pryor and OSU's best cornerback, Jenkins, wear the same #2. Similarly, the numbers 5,7, etc are worn by one member of the offense and one member of the defense.

Ben63
10-12-2008, 09:21 AM
Usually two prominent players will not share a number, there are obviously exceptions like Ohio State (aforementioned Jenkins/Pryor) and USC last year (LB Brian Cushing and QB John David Booty both wore #10.)

There is also a rule that two of the same number cannot be on the field at the same time. This caused trouble for Cal a few years ago. WR/PR punt reterner DeSean Jackson had to change jerseys to return punts because someone on the punt return team was #1, his typical number. IIRC, Jackson would wear two jerseys during a game. He would wear #1, and when he went in to return a punt he would put on #11 (I think, but exact # is irrelevant) and would come back to the sideline and someone would take of his #11 jersey and he would go play WR as #1.

DevilWolf
10-12-2008, 09:45 AM
I watched the UNC-Notre Dame game today and saw the Duke-Georgia Tech game last week, and it is quite apparant that UNC is much better than Duke. Butch Davis has done a terrific job in resurrecting UNC football program.

Here's hoping that Coach Cutliffe can do the same for Duke.

Here's hoping you watch more Duke games so that's not your basis for your opinion of our team.

If you'd seen UNC vs. McNeese State and Duke vs. Virginia, you'd say that Duke would be a 28 point favorite over UNC.

sandinmyshoes
10-12-2008, 10:12 AM
Unfortunately the Zebras got the last replay right.

I think Davis showed a lack of class by running straight across the field to greet Weiss before the gun. :mad: He had to realize the play would go under review.

I'm not sure the play should have been reviewed. Notre Dame ran a play, spiking the ball. I thought that if a play is run, there is no review. But I have no idea if the refs were trying to stop the play before it was run because the tv crew was busy showing every thing but the field.

In any event, if Davis saw a play run and the clock at 0:00 he had every right to think the game was over.

That game was the worst use of replay I have seen this year. Pains me to say it, but UNC should have had a first down on the first replay. As I understand it, while the ground cannot cause a fumble it can cause an incompletion. But the UNC receiver looked to have two feet on the ground and even to have taken a step (or two) which would have been a completion causing the fumble ruling rather than the completion ruling. And even if the completion ruling was used, he hit the ground and rolled over before the ball comes out, and as I understand it the release of the ball has to be nearly instantaneous before it's an incomplete pass.

One thing for sure, I hope Duke never has a game on the line with that official reviewing a play. :eek:

sandinmyshoes
10-12-2008, 10:18 AM
Here's hoping you watch more Duke games so that's not your basis for your opinion of our team.

If you'd seen UNC vs. McNeese State and Duke vs. Virginia, you'd say that Duke would be a 28 point favorite over UNC.

If they played right now, I think we'd have a decent chance of the win if we avoided turnovers. The UNC offense is very erratic. I won't say they have been lucky winning on turnovers, because one game might be a gift, but multiple games indicates an attacking defense. But their defense also gives up a lot of yards for all that it forces a lot of turnovers.

But that's right now. Who knows about the end of the season. Injuries and improvements can change everything. I wonder about UNC's chemistry when Yates returns. Will he be rusty? Will there be any friction if Sexton keeps doing a decent, if unspectacular, job?

JasonEvans
10-12-2008, 10:24 AM
The challenge for Carolina after the ND game is going to be keeping Butch Davis around to ensure that the rebuilding process is completed. Butch has done a fabulous job so far and after Carolina lay some smack on Virginia next week the Heels will be 6-1 and firmly in the top 25. There will likely be some significant bowls eying the Tarheels in coming weeks.

Davis was already a fairly well-known name from his days in the NFL. He is going to be a big name on the block this spring.

--Jason "I wonder if Tennessee would come calling?" Evans

OZZIE4DUKE
10-12-2008, 10:44 AM
--Jason "I wonder if Tennessee would come calling?" Evans

Let's hope so! ;)

Carlos
10-12-2008, 10:57 AM
Davis was a big name on the block last spring when the Arkansas job was open.

He's done a great job recruiting at UNC. If you look at what they've brought in over the last couple of years you'll see that they've recruited as well or better than any program in the ACC - including the schools in talent-rich Florida. From a facility standpoint, Kenan Stadium is light years ahead of Wally Wade and while I don't have any idea what their player facilities are like I'd bet they are pretty top notch.

Lots of rumors about the Tennesee job including The Ol' Ball Coach as well as Jon Gruden.

BTW - If you want some fine drama, check out former UT coach Johnny Majors comments over the last couple of weeks regarding Phil Fulmer. The background on the story is that Majors brought Fulmer to UT and, in what turned out to be his final season at the school, Majors was hospitalized for heart surgery and forced to miss two games. Majors, and many Vol supporters, believed that while the coach was in the hospital Fulmer was actively lobbying for his job. The rumors were that he threatened to expose Majors' drinking problems to the press and that if he didn't get the job he was going to take another coaching position and take all the other assistants with him.

When asked about the situation recently Majors replied:

“You mean the season of my ignominious demise? The season when, while I was recovering from my heart surgery, a few people whom I won’t name were operating on my back.”

Majors has also gone on to say that hiring Fulmer was "one of the main mistakes" he made in his coaching career and that the current UT defensive coordinator has saved Fulmer's job for the last 10 years.

DevilDan
10-12-2008, 11:44 AM
Out here on the West Coast, we were stuck with Arizona St.- USC (borrrrrring) on ABC for three hours before they finally turned to ND-UNC. Carolina is improving every week under Butch Davis and the win yesterday is huge. They could get a decent Bowl game at the end of their season--and tho' a DUKE fan thru-n-thru, I hope they do. It's good for the ACC.

Florida State and Miami are struggling; Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech are above average, and Wake seems to get by each week on tremendous hustle, great coaching, and smoke-n-mirrors. Clemson is a disappointment, and we're still on an upswing, so it doesn't bother me if Carolina takes it--THIS YEAR.

Like one of the earlier posts, I hope Coach Cut can get us in a position soon, similar to where Carolina is under Davis, that far into the program. I see here every few days that he has brought in another class athlete. GO DUKE !

godukecom
10-12-2008, 04:40 PM
I will never change my prediction; Duke will beat unc this year. Duke has had too many dumb losses to the heels to not finally snatch one...