PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Pickles!

EarlJam
10-10-2008, 11:35 PM
Do you like them dill, bread and butter or other?

sue71, esq
10-10-2008, 11:40 PM
Do you like them dill, bread and butter or other?

Garlic, sour, so that your lips burn. Anything else is a cucumber. My favorite from the store are Bubbies (http://bubbies.com/). Try them! You MUST. They have them in Durham (What's that grocery store behind Elmos- World Market? Whole Foods? It used to be something else though...) They also have them in So Cal and in Vegas. Don't say I didn't warn you, though...

devildeac
10-10-2008, 11:48 PM
Did you mean 'pickles?':o

Or did you mean Pocious:o?

CameronBornAndBred
10-10-2008, 11:49 PM
I'm a bread and butter pickle guy, but I'll eat any. My favorite are the ones I make myself out of the garden.

EarlJam
10-10-2008, 11:51 PM
Did you mean 'pickles?':o

Or did you mean Pocious:o?

Believe it or not, and I promise it's true, I know the traditional spelling is "pickles." I just don't like it. And I"m passionate enough about "PICKELS" to spell it my way................all the time.

-EarlJam

Lavabe
10-11-2008, 05:05 AM
Part of my disdain for going to the cinema these days is the stuff offered for food in the movies. Last week, we saw Indiana Jones at the dollar cinema. What should they sell at the food stand... a $3 pickle.:eek:

SINCE WHEN did pickles become movie food?:eek:

There is nothing worse than watching a movie, eating your popcorn, and smelling a pickle behind you.:mad:

I'll admit that it's only mildly better than the one time when someone near me was munching on fried chicken.:eek:

And some people wonder why I don't regularly go to the movies!
Cheers,
Lavabe

YmoBeThere
10-11-2008, 06:31 AM
SINCE WHEN did pickles become movie food?:eek:

There is nothing worse than watching a movie, eating your popcorn, and smelling a pickle behind you.:mad:

I'll admit that it's only mildly better than the one time when someone near me was munching on fried chicken.:eek:

And some people wonder why I don't regularly go to the movies!
Cheers,
Lavabe

I'm on the same pickle page, its nice but in the right location and setting. I thought you didn't go to the movies regularly because too many tall people sitting in front of you.;)

ohioguy2
10-11-2008, 08:23 AM
There are no better pickles in America than those served at Tony Packo's in Toledo. A "spicy" dill served as a side dish with just about everything on the menu. You can also get them deep fried as an appetizer, or a bowl of pickles and peppers to go with the draft Shiner Bock. Good stuff.:D

weezie
10-11-2008, 09:14 AM
There are no better pickles in America than those served at Tony Packo's in Toledo. A "spicy" dill served as a side dish with just about everything on the menu. You can also get them deep fried as an appetizer, or a bowl of pickles and peppers to go with the draft Shiner Bock. Good stuff.:D

Even better when those pickles accompany one of Tony's hot dogs before a Mud Hens game! :cool:

devildeac
10-11-2008, 09:30 AM

You covered quite a bit of "thread-ery" with that description as you discussed Packo's, pickles, side dishes, appetizers (ymm, deep-fried pickles) and beer.

BTW, Lavabe, can you purchase Packo's in Lexington? If so, where? If so, bring some down with you next weekend-puhleeezze:o.

captmojo
10-11-2008, 09:43 AM
Believe it or not, and I promise it's true, I know the traditional spelling is "pickles." I just don't like it. And I"m passionate enough about "PICKELS" to spell it my way................all the time.

-EarlJam

I had a friend named Bob. Everyone was confused because he always spelled his name backward.

devildeac
10-11-2008, 09:55 AM
Kosher dills-from the deli-almost any deli-right out of the brine

Ymm, pickles

YmoBeThere
10-11-2008, 09:57 AM
the brine

LOL, that's a selling point...

devildeac
10-11-2008, 10:10 AM
LOL, that's a selling point...

Seriously, right out of the large jar they are sold from, dripping with the brine in which they have been cured. Goes great with a sub/hoagie/grinder and a (diet) coke/pepsi.

Ymm, pickles
Ymm, hoagies

YmoBeThere
10-11-2008, 10:16 AM
No Coke, Pepsi...

Lavabe
10-11-2008, 10:33 AM
I'm on the same pickle page, its nice but in the right location and setting. I thought you didn't go to the movies regularly because too many tall people sitting in front of you.;)

It's not the tall people.

It's the loud people:

"What did he just say?"
"Oh, here's the part where he ..."
"Oh, I like this part."

Note to self: some people should be eliminated from cinemas.:mad:
Cheers,
Lavabe

captmojo
10-11-2008, 10:36 AM
No Coke, Pepsi...

I've been inside several Pepsi bottling plants.

I like Coke.

YmoBeThere
10-11-2008, 10:41 AM
Not at the Olympia Cafe!

Lavabe
10-11-2008, 10:55 AM
I cast my vote for sour pickles.

And of course, I relish Tony Packo's.;):rolleyes::eek:

Cheers,
Lavabe

devildeac
10-11-2008, 11:06 AM
Not at the Olympia Cafe!

IIRC, late in that series of skits, I think the line became, "no pepsi, coke."

YmoBeThere
10-11-2008, 11:13 AM
Blashphemy! Haha, I only have vague memories of the skits and am predisposed to the "No Coke, Pepsi." side.

DukeUsul
10-11-2008, 12:46 PM
Any kind of pickle. Any time. I put pickles on everything. Or relish. Yum.

I love going to Ted's Montana Grill - not just because bison is delicious, but because they bring out a little bowl of homemade pickle chips to snack on while you wait for your food.

Deep fried pickles are a gift from heaven.

Lavabe
10-11-2008, 01:27 PM
Deep fried pickles are a gift from heaven.

Recipe thread?

devildeac
10-11-2008, 01:47 PM
Recipe thread?

The Sawmill Taproom several miles from our house is the 1st place I have ever had this "delicacy." A nice appetizer to be shared and accompanied by a pale ale:D.

Don't think there is a recipe in that thread for this.

OZZIE4DUKE
10-11-2008, 02:59 PM
A nice big kosher sour dill pickle, from a nice Jewish deli, preferably the Carnegie Deli, right next to a pastrami sandwich!

sue71, esq
10-11-2008, 07:04 PM
A nice big kosher sour dill pickle, from a nice Jewish deli, preferably the Carnegie Deli, right next to a few latkes and some matzo ball soup!

I made an adjustment to Ozzie's wish list... emphasis added. :D

OZZIE4DUKE
10-11-2008, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE
A nice big kosher sour dill pickle, from a nice Jewish deli, preferably the Carnegie Deli, right next to a few latkes and some matzo ball soup!
I made an adjustment to Ozzie's wish list... emphasis added. :D

I love latkes and matzo ball soup, but NOT with a dill pickle. But I'd love a pastrami sandwich right now!

Lavabe
10-11-2008, 07:40 PM
I love latkes and matzo ball soup, but NOT with a dill pickle. But I'd love a pastrami sandwich right now!

I'm afraid I agree with Ozzie 100% here. If there's no pastrami, I'd go with a corned beef sandwich from said Carnegie Deli. The only other item I'd add would be a knish (potato, meat, or kasha).

I make some mean kasha varnishkes.

Cheers,
Lavabe

2535Miles
10-11-2008, 07:44 PM
Note to self: some people should be eliminated from cinemas.:mad:
Cheers,
Lavabe

I'm willing to go bigger than just cinemas. :-)

Oh yeah, and I love all pickles. I prefer dill over bread & butter, but I'm down with latter, very down. I'm also a big fan of pickled okra, and other pickled vegetables. Not so much pickled eggs or pickled pigs feet.

DukeUsul
10-11-2008, 10:43 PM
Recipe thread?

I'll echo dd by saying that the best deep fried pickles I've had were at the Sawmill Taproom in Raleigh. The ones at Tyler's Taproom at Durham's American Tobacco complex are good too.

I don't have a recipe. But if I were going to do it, I'd make a cornmeal batter (like something you'd put on catfish) and dredge pickle chips in it. Deep fry in 365 degree canola oil. Serve with a side of a spicy ranch-style dressing.

Lavabe
10-11-2008, 10:52 PM
I'll echo dd by saying that the best deep fried pickles I've had were at the Sawmill Taproom in Raleigh. The ones at Tyler's Taproom at Durham's American Tobacco complex are good too.

I don't have a recipe. But if I were going to do it, I'd make a cornmeal batter (like something you'd put on catfish) and dredge pickle chips in it. Deep fry in 365 degree canola oil. Serve with a side of a spicy ranch-style dressing.

Bread & butter chips or dill chips?

sue71, esq
10-11-2008, 11:21 PM
I'm afraid I agree with Ozzie 100% here. If there's no pastrami, I'd go with a corned beef sandwich from said Carnegie Deli. The only other item I'd add would be a knish (potato, meat, or kasha).

I make some mean kasha varnishkes.

Cheers,
Lavabe

A potato knish would be an acceptable replacement for the latkes.

devildeac
10-12-2008, 12:21 AM

You'd still need one of the Sawmill's selection of fine draft ales to accompany that appetizer:D.

DukeUsul
10-12-2008, 12:23 AM
Bread & butter chips or dill chips?

Dill

BluDevilGal
10-12-2008, 09:54 PM
Why would you go and ruin a perfectly good cucumber?!?

No pickles for me!