PDA

View Full Version : Teams running their course

dukemsu
03-27-2007, 08:32 PM
Okay, the season's end has hit me this week. The first round loss seems like long ago, but now I'm realizing that I have no Duke game to watch anytime soon. And, while I certainly wish this team had kept playing, I found myself wondering whether this team had run its course. Was there unfinished business? Was there more to enjoy? As much as I enjoyed watching this team, it was frustrating as hell the last four games. I don't mean that as a slam on the kids, just sometimes the team was hard to watch.

I'll give you a flip side-I could have watched the 2000 and 2001 teams play forever. Even though the 01 team won it all, it was just so much fun to watch and they seemed to be having such a good time, I remember being almost sad after the title game because I couldn't watch that team again. Same with 00 when CWell left the floor. As much as I was sad that they wouldn't get to Indy, I was more sad I wouldn't see that group again. 04 as well-especially since Deng left.

Even the 92 team, in my opinion, ran its natural course. So much energy was expended in being the Target and surviving everyone's best punches that it seemed to lead to an air of exhaustion that last weekend in Minneapolis. Maybe someone would have killed Laettner if the season lasted another month. 99 seemed like a good end point too-win or lose, that team seemed like a lot of guys heading in a lot of different directions.

The other team I really miss watching was last year's team. As I noted on another thread-if they had gotten through LSU, I really felt we might have had a really great ride as the rest of the season was, other than Senior Night.

I'd be curious to know if anyone else feels the same way-are there Duke teams that you thought had run their respective course?

dukemsu

hurleyfor3
03-27-2007, 10:52 PM
1990 - it takes a hell of a team to lose a national championship game by 30
1993 - only thing left to do was for hurley to get the assist record, and he did it. on senior night.
1994 - overachieved to get to the final, way outmatched by arky but played them dead even for 39 minutes