PDA

View Full Version : MBB: 2008 preseason discussion

VaDukie
10-10-2008, 05:14 PM
An actual thread on the 2008-2009 season! Now I know some of you may think that by focusing on a team of players who are currently enrolled I'm living in the past, but just for fun let's take a look at what we've got.

I think this team has the most talent top to bottom since 2004. We've got experience, athletes, shooters, depth, size, and so far (knock on wood) we're healthy. Our schedule looks great. UCLA, Purdue, Davidson, Georgetown, plus what looks like a very good ACC should leave us battle tested come March.

Blue-White is only 8 days away!

BlueintheFace
10-10-2008, 05:37 PM
When I take a step back and contemplate this team from a broader perspective I come to a few conclusions:

1) This team has an enormous amount of depth and talent. There SHOULD NOT be any players hitting the wall this year. Tired legs WILL NOT be an excuse if we lose in march unless A) there are injury/ health issues or B) Coach K does not manage his bench well during the season. I cannot fathom any other excuses and that makes me overjoyed! We have the legs this year boys and girls.

2) I believe we will have more losses than last year, but be a better team. The ACC is up and our non-conference schedule is fierce.

3) This is Paulus' team. From what I am hearing, Paulus is the undisputed alpha dog of the team so far while the other captains are taking primary responsibilities in educating the newcomers. We will go far if Paulus leads us there.

4) I have a thousand other observations that take up too much space and time and optimism so I will just take a break for now and add more later.

WE ARE SO CLOSE!!!

jimsumner
10-10-2008, 05:42 PM
Okay, I'll bite.

I see four areas of improvement from last season.

1.Health. I know that expecting every single player to be 100% healthy for every game and every practice is not realistic. But last year's team--indeed the last several--was snakebit. Practically every player on the team was sick and/or injured at some point during the season. Duke is due for a visit from the good-health fairy.

2.Depth. Related to one. Subtract Nelson and King. One major loss, one not so major. Add Williams, Plumlee, Czyz, the return of Pocius, a healthy Henderson, a healthy Zoubek, a healthy McClure and Duke can go pretty deep.

3.Experience. Two years ago Duke had no recruited seniors and one recruited junior. Last year, one recruited senior and two recruited juniors (excluding Pocius). This year? Two seniors and five juniors. Serious upper-class experience for a change. Elliott Williams may well play himself into the rotation but for the first time in some years, Duke doesn't have to have a freshman in the top six or seven.

4.Inside presence. Last season, an under-sized Singler was forced to play too many minutes at the 5 and wore down over the course of the season. This year he appears to be stronger and more mature but ironically shouldn't be called on to play anywhere near as much inside. A healthy Zoubek, Thomas, and the two newbies should be able to handle that. Duke should be able to send in size in waves.

There are other positives. People forget that Nolan Smith didn't actually play much point guard in high school. He's got some quality PG under his belt and has begun to figure out the nuances of the position. Practices should be more competitive and more productive. The head coach seems to be on a roll.

Question marks? Sure. Will the bigs be more than place-holders? Can Zoubek keep up with the gazelles? Does he need to? Will Singler or Henderson or Scheyer become that much sought-after go-to-guy? Does Duke have an All-American?

But yes, I think Duke should be really, really good this season. Final Four good.

Bob Green
10-10-2008, 06:20 PM
I'm looking forward to the games starting next month as I believe this team will be solid. I'm going to reiterate a point I've previously made that Brian Zoubek will be the key this season. He needs to stay healthy and produce in the paint. Solid performance for 20-25 mpg from Zoubek is what I'm talking about. If that happens, many other things will fall into place like dominoes.

brevity
10-10-2008, 06:29 PM
1.Health. I know that expecting every single player to be 100% healthy for every game and every practice is not realistic. But last year's team--indeed the last several--was snakebit. Practically every player on the team was sick and/or injured at some point during the season. Duke is due for a visit from the good-health fairy.

Note to the team doctor: this is an excellent time to administer the flu shots and distribute many, many bottles of Purell.

I agree with most of your assessment. But I'm not ready to call them Final Four good at this early, on-paper stage; being in the top 8-10 seems fair.

If the Big East's top tier is as good as people are predicting, we'll see Connecticut, Pitt, Notre Dame, and Louisville get split up in the NCAA Tournament with high seeds in all 4 regions. That seems like more of a sure thing than anything else at this point (even more than a top seed for UNC). So one way to guess if Duke is Final Four worthy: do they have what it takes to get past any of these teams?

I need to see them in action.

Kedsy
10-10-2008, 09:55 PM
I'm looking forward to the games starting next month as I believe this team will be solid. I'm going to reiterate a point I've previously made that Brian Zoubek will be the key this season. He needs to stay healthy and produce in the paint. Solid performance for 20-25 mpg from Zoubek is what I'm talking about. If that happens, many other things will fall into place like dominoes.

I know you feel this way, and it's a valid opinion, but I disagree. I've said this before, but I don't think Zoubek can keep up on defense or run the break well enough, and with the style the team played last year -- which I assume it will play again this year -- I think Z will be too much of a drag to play that many minutes.

I used this example in another thread, but Phoenix had the best or second best record in the NBA and then they imported Shaq and became an average team. Mostly because the big guy couldn't get up and down the floor and wasn't really capable at help defense in the Phoenix set.

I believe Duke will be at its best with Singler and four guards (Henderson, Scheyer, Paulus, and either Nolan Smith or Elliot Williams). I think that's what the lineup will look like in close games and in crunch time, which in my opinion doesn't leave 20 or 25 minutes for Zoubek.

jimsumner
10-10-2008, 10:05 PM
Kedsy,

You may well be right. That's why I included Zoubs as a question mark. It's a valid concern.

But. I do know that Mike Krzyzewski expects and wants a healthy Zoubek to play 20-25 mpg. So, he will get a legit shot and Duke will work very hard to figure out ways to effectively integrate him into the lineup.

I see a Singler/four-guard lineup in very specific, end-of-game circumstances. Duke ball, up by seven, 90 seconds left, Duke will have its best ball-handling/foul-shooting lineup in. But I don't think you're going to see this combination in anywhere near as often as you think/hope. Duke has a lot more options inside than was the case last year and I expect K to use those options.

Jumbo
10-10-2008, 10:54 PM
1) This team has an enormous amount of depth and talent. There SHOULD NOT be any players hitting the wall this year. Tired legs WILL NOT be an excuse if we lose in march unless A) there are injury/ health issues or B) Coach K does not manage his bench well during the season. I cannot fathom any other excuses and that makes me overjoyed! We have the legs this year boys and girls.

Agreed, mostly, but the team can also have dead legs if K doesn't manage his practices well. As I've been saying for years, his legendary butt-kicking practices can be way more grueling than games.

2) I believe we will have more losses than last year, but be a better team. The ACC is up and our non-conference schedule is fierce.
Definitely a better team. Not sure if we'll have more losses, but it's certainly possible.

3) This is Paulus' team. From what I am hearing, Paulus is the undisputed alpha dog of the team so far while the other captains are taking primary responsibilities in educating the newcomers. We will go far if Paulus leads us there.
Totally disagree, and I've heard quite differently. Essentially, from what I understand, Henderson and Scheyer have been phenomenal leaders since last season ended and have really pushed this team. Yes, Paulus is a senior. But, at most, he's Duke's fourth-best player. This will be a team-oriented group, but everything will start with Henderson, Scheyer and Singler, not Paulus.

jv001
10-10-2008, 11:40 PM
Okay, I'll bite.

I see four areas of improvement from last season.

2.Depth. Related to one. Subtract Nelson and King. One major loss, one not so major. Add Williams, Plumlee, Czyz, the return of Pocius, a healthy Henderson, a healthy Zoubek, a healthy McClure and Duke can go pretty deep.

3.Experience. Two years ago Duke had no recruited seniors and one recruited junior. Last year, one recruited senior and two recruited juniors (excluding Pocius). This year? Two seniors and five juniors. Serious upper-class experience for a change. Elliott Williams may well play himself into the rotation but for the first time in some years, Duke doesn't have to have a freshman in the top six or seven.

4.Inside presence. Last season, an under-sized Singler was forced to play too many minutes at the 5 and wore down over the course of the season. This year he appears to be stronger and more mature but ironically shouldn't be called on to play anywhere near as much inside. A healthy Zoubek, Thomas, and the two newbies should be able to handle that. Duke should be able to send in size in waves.

There are other positives. People forget that Nolan Smith didn't actually play much point guard in high school. He's got some quality PG under his belt and has begun to figure out the nuances of the position. Practices should be more competitive and more productive. The head coach seems to be on a roll.

Question marks? Sure. Will the bigs be more than place-holders? Can Zoubek keep up with the gazelles? Does he need to? Will Singler or Henderson or Scheyer become that much sought-after go-to-guy? Does Duke have an All-American?

But yes, I think Duke should be really, really good this season. Final Four good.

I think comment #4 may be the most important. Kyle not having to play so mins guarding the other teams best big man will help in many ways. He should not hit the wall this year and reach the potential many have predicted for him. Health of the team through out the year(especially in Feb & March) is probably just as important(see DMark). If everything falls in place Final Four is not out of the question. Go Duke!

Kedsy
10-11-2008, 12:14 AM
Kedsy,

You may well be right. That's why I included Zoubs as a question mark. It's a valid concern.

But. I do know that Mike Krzyzewski expects and wants a healthy Zoubek to play 20-25 mpg. So, he will get a legit shot and Duke will work very hard to figure out ways to effectively integrate him into the lineup.

I see a Singler/four-guard lineup in very specific, end-of-game circumstances. Duke ball, up by seven, 90 seconds left, Duke will have its best ball-handling/foul-shooting lineup in. But I don't think you're going to see this combination in anywhere near as often as you think/hope. Duke has a lot more options inside than was the case last year and I expect K to use those options.

It's not that I hope we play the four guard lineup; but I do think we will and I also think it's our best lineup. Having said that, despite my doubts I honestly hope the Zoubek supporters are right and he can play 20 productive minutes; more than that, I hope we have more inside options on defense, which is where I perceive we need them, more than offense.

I freely admit K is more adept at coaching decisions than I am and fully expect him to do what's best for the team. Go Duke!

duketaylor
10-11-2008, 12:33 AM
is anything but fierce, IMO. OOC schedule is pretty tame (not lame, just tame), ACC should be OK, nothing great. Besides Duke and #1 over there, who's really good? No other teams even scare me at all. Conference will be competitive, but not all that strong. I could easily see Duke go into the ACC Tourney with 3, 4 or 5 losses, similar to last year and this team should be a little better/stronger/deeper than last year, making it a FF contender. Just my .02.

BlueintheFace
10-11-2008, 01:21 AM
Totally disagree, and I've heard quite differently. Essentially, from what I understand, Henderson and Scheyer have been phenomenal leaders since last season ended and have really pushed this team. Yes, Paulus is a senior. But, at most, he's Duke's fourth-best player. This will be a team-oriented group, but everything will start with Henderson, Scheyer and Singler, not Paulus.

No, everything ON THE COURT, will start with those four. I said that he is the Alpha-Dog and clear leader and implied that his leadership will be very important in determining how good we can be. The clear leader of the team does not have to be one of the best players on the team as I am sure you certainly know and as K has literally stated several times over the past few years.

PS- Plus, Czyz has been telling everyone and his mother around campus how Paulus is the undisputed leader of the team. If he can play with as much energy as he can talk, we can all get very excited for his contributions this year.

PPS- I did not even remotely imply that Scheyer and Henderson have been bad leaders at all. I simply stated that I had heard that those two had used their new roles as leaders to do what K likes to call "teaching tradition and what it means to be a duke basketball player" to the new kids on the block.

Bob Green
10-11-2008, 04:35 AM
I know you feel this way, and it's a valid opinion, but I disagree. I've said this before, but I don't think Zoubek can keep up on defense or run the break well enough, and with the style the team played last year -- which I assume it will play again this year -- I think Z will be too much of a drag to play that many minutes.

The nice thing about our disagreement is that the season is just around the corner and we will all see how the line-up shakes out.

I believe Duke will be at its best with Singler and four guards (Henderson, Scheyer, Paulus, and either Nolan Smith or Elliot Williams). I think that's what the lineup will look like in close games and in crunch time, which in my opinion doesn't leave 20 or 25 minutes for Zoubek.

Singler playing major minutes as the biggest Blue Devil on the court is a formula for disaster. That is exactly what happened last year. We need major minutes and solid production from our other front court players (Zoubek/Thomas/McClure/Plumlee/Czyz) in order to free Singler up to create matchup problems for our opponents.

It's not that I hope we play the four guard lineup; but I do think we will and I also think it's our best lineup. Having said that, despite my doubts I honestly hope the Zoubek supporters are right and he can play 20 productive minutes; more than that, I hope we have more inside options on defense, which is where I perceive we need them, more than offense.

In the end, we all desire the same result - Duke victories. I don't expect to see Duke playing a four guard line-up except in specific circumstances such as the last couple of minutes of the game. But if Coach K goes this route and it works so be it.

YmoBeThere
10-11-2008, 06:44 AM
I was hoping for an Ice Hockey discussion. That would have been completely different.

Jumbo
10-11-2008, 11:46 AM
No, everything ON THE COURT, will start with those four. I said that he is the Alpha-Dog and clear leader and implied that his leadership will be very important in determining how good we can be. The clear leader of the team does not have to be one of the best players on the team as I am sure you certainly know and as K has literally stated several times over the past few years.

PS- Plus, Czyz has been telling everyone and his mother around campus how Paulus is the undisputed leader of the team. If he can play with as much energy as he can talk, we can all get very excited for his contributions this year.

PPS- I did not even remotely imply that Scheyer and Henderson have been bad leaders at all. I simply stated that I had heard that those two had used their new roles as leaders to do what K likes to call "teaching tradition and what it means to be a duke basketball player" to the new kids on the block.

Right, and I'm telling you that despite whatever Olek Czyz is saying at parties, others around the team are lauding Henderson and Scheyer as the guys who have stepped up. I'm disputing your contention that Paulus is the "undisputed leader." That's the first time I've heard anything of the sort.

roywhite
10-11-2008, 11:47 AM

Doesn't seem to fit with other reports (numerous) of Paulus being the key leader on this team. Not the most talented, but the leader. But you seem to be saying differently; what leads you to that?

Jumbo
10-11-2008, 01:53 PM
Doesn't seem to fit with other reports (numerous) of Paulus being the key leader on this team. Not the most talented, but the leader. But you seem to be saying differently; what leads you to that?

What people around the team have been saying, as I said above. As I said, I've been hearing since April that Henderson and Scheyer have stepped up in a huge way, and this has continued through the fall. If you still don't believe me, for some strange reason, ask yourself this: If Paulus were "the leader," why bother with two other captains who are a year younger?

gumbomoop
10-11-2008, 02:23 PM
Singler playing major minutes as the biggest Blue Devil on the court is a formula for disaster. That is exactly what happened last year. We need major minutes and solid production from our other front court players (Zoubek/Thomas/McClure/Plumlee/Czyz) in order to free Singler up to create matchup problems for our opponents.

I sense there's overwhelming agreement that S + 4 guards would be disastrous as a major-minutes regular lineup. Yet most who've rightly said this is our strongest lineup have tended to limit this to last 3 minutes of tight games, so that wouldn't be the "major minutes" that Bob Green rightly fears.

Overwhelming agreement, too, on how important Z is to success; but I and many others would be very satisfied with Z playing 16-17 min/game, averaging something like 8 p, 5 r. This isn't to deny that on a few, but not likely lots of, occasions Z might dominate, say, 22 min, 15/10. Admittedly, and happily, if my guess as to Z's numbers are substantially under what he actually produces, then we're in high, high cotton.

But most of us are looking beyond Z for additional, workmanlike productivity at the 5 from LT, MP1, OC, and..... the most defensively-productive of the interior guys, DMc, who's excellent at positioning, interior passing, smart playing, surprising shot-blocking. [Go to the videotape to see DMc on Joe Alexander.]

Things are looking sunny in Durham (and, thus far, in Philadelphia, too): our
'09 and '10 recruits look intriguing, not to mention talented; we have hopes about Boynton, Barnes, Knight, maybe others; we're quite relieved that Roy's amazing head start in recruiting turns out not to have been the very end of the world; equally relieved are we, if ever we worried about it, that K's passionate commitment to the Olympics did not leave Duke in the lurch; we are nearly unanimous that this year's group is solidly top 8-10, possibly top
5, plausibly Final 4.

So, here's a scenario: Duke and UNC, both great universities, play 4 great games this season. Duke wins games #1 and 4.

I'd take that, and so would you.

devildeac
10-11-2008, 02:40 PM
I sense there's overwhelming agreement that S + 4 guards would be disastrous as a major-minutes regular lineup. Yet most who've rightly said this is our strongest lineup have tended to limit this to last 3 minutes of tight games, so that wouldn't be the "major minutes" that Bob Green rightly fears.

Overwhelming agreement, too, on how important Z is to success; but I and many others would be very satisfied with Z playing 16-17 min/game, averaging something like 8 p, 5 r. This isn't to deny that on a few, but not likely lots of, occasions Z might dominate, say, 22 min, 15/10. Admittedly, and happily, if my guess as to Z's numbers are substantially under what he actually produces, then we're in high, high cotton.

But most of us are looking beyond Z for additional, workmanlike productivity at the 5 from LT, MP1, OC, and..... the most [I]defensively[I]-productive of the interior guys, DMc, who's excellent at positioning, interior passing, smart playing, surprising shot-blocking. [Go to the videotape to see DMc on Joe Alexander.]

Things are looking sunny in Durham (and, thus far, in Philadelphia, too): our
'09 and '10 recruits look intriguing, not to mention talented; we have hopes about Boynton, Barnes, Knight, maybe others; we're quite relieved that Roy's amazing head start in recruiting turns out not to have been the very end of the world; equally relieved are we, if ever we worried about it, that K's passionate commitment to the Olympics did not leave Duke in the lurch; we are nearly unanimous that this year's group is solidly top 8-10, possibly top
5, plausibly Final 4.

So, here's a scenario: Duke and UNC, both great universities, play 4 great games this season. Duke wins games #1 and 4.

I'd take that, and so would you.

Nah, I want all 4:D. (but, I see your point)

jimsumner
10-11-2008, 04:09 PM
Back in the days of the Dixie Classic and then the Big Four, Duke and UNC played each other four times with some regularity. Likewise, the other Big Four combinations.

Good times.

BlueintheFace
10-11-2008, 04:10 PM
If you still don't believe me, for some strange reason, ask yourself this: If Paulus were "the leader," why bother with two other captains who are a year younger?

Jumbo, its not that we are calling you a liar. It is just that what you are saying is not matching up with what students on campus and members of the team are saying. Perhaps you have heard different. (By the way- nobody said anything about parties jumbo).

Their appear to be many feasible answers to your question. I will name two, but this topic was commented on a good deal here even before captains were named. It is possible that K name scheyer and henderson 1) because Paulus is unlikely to be a marathon man in terms of minutes like Demarcus, he would most likely want to have a captain on the floor when Paulus is on the bench. Last season, there was very little time in games when both Demarcus (the leader by example) and Paulus (the vocal floor leader) were both on the bench.

If this explanation does not satisfy you, another potential reason is 2) Coach K talks a great deal about "taking ownership" and "investing" in your task at hand and the success of your team... It is not at all unlikely that K named Scheyer, Henderson, or both captains to make them truly take ownership in this team and this season. It wouldn't be the first time he has done such a thing. This was the reason he gave to the crazies before the first tenting games a few years back when asked why he made McRoberts and Paulus captains.

AND STILL- NOBODY is saying that scheyer and henderson aren't leaders or are bad leaders. we are just saying that we have heard that Paulus is top dog. This isn't an insult to the other two or in any way a surprise since he is the senior point guard in his fourth year starting for a Coach K team.

Jumbo
10-11-2008, 04:31 PM
Jumbo, its not that we are calling you a liar. It is just that what you are saying is not matching up with what students on campus and members of the team are saying. Perhaps you have heard different. (By the way- nobody said anything about parties jumbo).

Their appear to be many feasible answers to your question. I will name two, but this topic was commented on a good deal here even before captains were named. It is possible that K name scheyer and henderson 1) because Paulus is unlikely to be a marathon man in terms of minutes like Demarcus, he would most likely want to have a captain on the floor when Paulus is on the bench. Last season, there was very little time in games when both Demarcus (the leader by example) and Paulus (the vocal floor leader) were both on the bench.

If this explanation does not satisfy you, another potential reason is 2) Coach K talks a great deal about "taking ownership" and "investing" in your task at hand and the success of your team... It is not at all unlikely that K named Scheyer, Henderson, or both captains to make them truly take ownership in this team and this season. It wouldn't be the first time he has done such a thing. This was the reason he gave to the crazies before the first tenting games a few years back when asked why he made McRoberts and Paulus captains.

AND STILL- NOBODY is saying that scheyer and henderson aren't leaders or are bad leaders. we are just saying that we have heard that Paulus is top dog. This isn't an insult to the other two or in any way a surprise since he is the senior point guard in his fourth year starting for a Coach K team.

You're assuming I'm not hearing things from players, either straight from them or through a third party. It's a false assumption.

Maybe different players are saying different things. But I'm quite confident in what I'm saying.

There are other posters here with direct knowledge of the degree to which Scheyer and Henderson have led since last Spring. Hopefully they will speak up.

Wander
10-11-2008, 05:18 PM
I don't really know how other schools handle it, but it seems to me that captain status at Duke isn't all that meaningful recently, last year aside.

Paulus is clearly a big vocal leader on the team. Scheyer, Henderson, and Singler are clearly the three best players on the team right now. I doubt anyone's captain status will change either of those.

jimsumner
10-11-2008, 07:36 PM
Captains aren't necessarily the best players. But I guarantee you that Mike Krzyzewski would not agree with the assertion that the captaincy is not meaningful.

Ignatius07
10-11-2008, 08:29 PM
You're assuming I'm not hearing things from players, either straight from them or through a third party. It's a false assumption.

Maybe different players are saying different things. But I'm quite confident in what I'm saying.

There are other posters here with direct knowledge of the degree to which Scheyer and Henderson have led since last Spring. Hopefully they will speak up.

One of the few good things about the WVU game last year was seeing Henderson and Scheyer walking to the tunnel with each's arm on the other's back - seeing that means it's easy for me to imagine they really took ownership this off-season to bring Duke back to where it belongs - playing in April. So I think it augurs great things if they are in fact leaders.

Wander
10-11-2008, 08:54 PM
Captains aren't necessarily the best players. But I guarantee you that Mike Krzyzewski would not agree with the assertion that the captaincy is not meaningful.

I'm sure he wouldn't if you asked him. What coach would? But if you translate the coachspeak bullcrap that every coach in the country talks in, K basically admitted a year ago "Yeah, I've really effed up in how I pick my captains in recent years, to the point where it didn't have all that much meaning anymore."

Of course, last season this wasn't the case. But I'll only believe this is the start of a trend rather than exception after we've gotten to March without Pocius and McClure being named captains.

Bob Green
10-11-2008, 09:08 PM
But I'll only believe this is the start of a trend rather than exception after we've gotten to March without Pocius and McClure being named captains.

I don't have a clue what you're talking about. This season's captains have already been named so we will definitely get to March without Pocius and McClure being named captains. What is your point? :confused:

Acymetric
10-11-2008, 09:12 PM
I don't have a clue what you're talking about. This season's captains have already been named so we will definitely get to March without Pocius and McClure being named captains. What is your point? :confused:

I'd say it would be unlikely this season, but there is at least one time in the past where someone was named a captain partway though the season. If I recall correctly it was Lee, but someone else will remember I'm sure.

That said, I think this is what we should have in terms of captains this year, and I don't expect anybody to be added since we already have three.

jimsumner
10-11-2008, 09:21 PM
"I'm sure he wouldn't if you asked him."

You don't have to ask him. K has addressed this subject with some frequency over the years. Remember the man is a West Point graduate and was a real captain. In his universe, being a captain doesn't start when the ball is tipped off and doesn't end when the last whistle blows. He feels that Duke basketball has a distinct culture and he wants that culture transmitted from player to player, from veteran to youngster, from captain to non-captains. Games, practices, weight-room, dining hall, off-season, the whole enchilida.

Call it bullcrap if you wish but everything I have heard the man say over the years indicates to me that he takes this stuff very seriously.

Kedsy
10-11-2008, 10:46 PM
The nice thing about our disagreement is that the season is just around the corner and we will all see how the line-up shakes out.

Well said. I'm looking forward to the real stuff.

Singler playing major minutes as the biggest Blue Devil on the court is a formula for disaster. That is exactly what happened last year.

I think Singler will be a lot stronger and won't wear down as easily as last year, even if he plays major minutes as the biggest player on the floor. It's just what happens when an 18 year old turns 19 and also has a full year of weight training, etc.

In the end, we all desire the same result - Duke victories. I don't expect to see Duke playing a four guard line-up except in specific circumstances such as the last couple of minutes of the game. But if Coach K goes this route and it works so be it.

Again, well said. I expect Singler plus four guards at least 10 or 15 minutes a game (maybe more), including the end of most games, but if I'm wrong and Zoubek becomes a major contributor and the team plays well, then I'm all for it.

devildeac
10-11-2008, 11:05 PM
Well said. I'm looking forward to the real stuff.

I think Singler will be a lot stronger and won't wear down as easily as last year, even if he plays major minutes as the biggest player on the floor. It's just what happens when an 18 year old turns 19 and also has a full year of weight training, etc.

Again, well said. I expect Singler plus four guards at least 10 or 15 minutes a game (maybe more), including the end of most games, but if I'm wrong and Zoubek becomes a major contributor and the team plays well, then I'm all for it.

Interesting note to the Singler development: In the most recent issue of Blue Devil Weekly, it was noted that he started the 07-08 season at about 220 pounds and ended the year at about 205 pounds. That's quite a beating to take at the end of the season in his situation and LOSING 15 pounds. BDW said he was about 230 pounds now. I'll bet he holds up a lot better/longer this season and hope he hasn't lost any of his quickness.

kinghoops
10-12-2008, 02:49 AM
who do guys think will be the go to guy?? this will be important to have that go to guy in march, should be interesting to see who it shall be

Kedsy
10-12-2008, 10:35 AM
who do guys think will be the go to guy?? this will be important to have that go to guy in march, should be interesting to see who it shall be

One letter, and it is G.

Jumbo
10-12-2008, 11:52 AM

Jokyld Schederler.

Seriously, there doesn't have to be one "go-to-guy." It's an antiquated notion. What is a "go-to-guy?" The player who gets a you a big bucket late in a game? Someone you for whom you run iso sets? Your leading scorer?

Situations will dictate where Duke will go. Who is playing well? What is the matchup like? Are Gerald and Kyle being guarded by smaller guys they can take to the block? Great, run something for them down there. Can they face up and take someone off the dribble? Sure, let them do it. Do you want someone to make a strong initial move to either free himself or a teammate? Give it to Scheyer? Are we playing UNC? If so, I love the idea of a pick-and-pop with Scheyer and Singler, forcing Ellington and Hansbrough/Thompson to play D (ostensibly, Ginyard guards Henderson). This is, and should be, a fluid thing. On my list of concerns, it's roughly #47.

DevilDan
10-12-2008, 12:01 PM
To Jim Sumner: GOD, I MISS THE DIXIE CLASSIC ... what a tournament. That being said ...

Our frontcourt development is the key to our season. I'll take 12-15 hard minutes (boards, putbacks, blocks) from Brian every night, with Miles & Olek getting their licks in during spot duty. Just how much has Lance matured/improved? That is a major question... If he gives us a solid performance, then that frees Kyle to be the man, both inside and out.

I'm sure Coach K has a great plan on how to put the pieces together for a terrific run in March, this year with many more options. I said here a couple of months ago, I'll take an extra loss or two in the first 5-6 weeks, if it means that we get our frontcourt assignments defined for the stretch run. Our G's/SF's? No problem -- that group is among the best in the country.

I can't wait..... GO DUKE !

Gunnar Kaufman
10-12-2008, 02:10 PM
On the question of the leadership emanating from Scheyer and Henderson, Jumbo is spot-on.

That doesn't mean Paulus' role as leader has diminished or changed, per se (or as they write it in Chapel Hill, "per say").

Paulus is, after all, the fourth-year starting point guard for a K-coached team.

But Scheyer and Henderson have led and continue to lead in a different way from Paulus, complementing his efforts in a non-subservient way.

And that began after Duke's loss to West Virginia.

For example, when Taylor King was considering his transfer, no one lobbied him harder to stick around than Scheyer and Henderson. And when he left, and when Dawkins took the Stanford job, no one worked harder to bring this team together more than Scheyer and Henderson--not in the weight room, not on the court, not off the court.

Granted, there's a logical gap in between "working" and "leading." These guys worked to lead, and led by working. Paulus certainly did, too.

Leadership doesn't always have to be a one-headed beast. In this instance, in particular, Duke has a triumvirate of very demanding leaders that stick out on a team filled with leaders.

This team would follow Kyle Singler into any battle. This team would follow Nolan Smith into any battle. This team would follow Greg Paulus into any battle. Same goes for Scheyer and Henderson.

The point: This team will follow the lead of one another. They've got remarkable chemistry. It'll show. And Scheyer and Henderson deserve as much credit for that unity as anyone else.

dkbaseball
10-12-2008, 03:04 PM
I wanted to put this on the pick-up game thread but it got locked for some reason. One of the more interesting comments I've heard about Duke basketball is Ryan Kelly's observation that one of the main reasons he is going to Duke is because the intensity of the pick-up games there is greater than at other schools, and he thought that would help him develop as a player. Keeping that internsity up outside of K-run practices is a big part of the leadership concept in the Duke program, I should think.

Paulus and Scheyer, in particular, seem to exude super intensity at all times, but they are the two I worry most about being worn down and puny at the end of the season. They clearly were physically run down late in the seasson and thus overmatched two years ago, less so last year. That's always the main question with K's teams: Can they maintain this incredible year-round intensity, go through a season of K's apparently grueling practices, and still have their legs at the end of the year?

brevity
10-13-2008, 03:18 AM
Jokyld Schederler.

I haven't heard of this guy. Sounds German. Is he the next Nowitzki? Are we recruiting him yet? Will he give us the size we clearly need to win a title?

Please let me know as soon as possible. I'm also looking forward to our pursuit of point guard Rollo Tomasi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollo_Tomasi) from the Los Angeles area, who leads the nation in steals and gets all the referee calls.

DevilDan
10-13-2008, 11:26 AM
AHHHHHH ... what a great way to start the week -- seeing the name of the legendary Rollo Tomasi ... consider the implications.

That being said, back to the subject. We are mere DAYS away from the B&W Game, and the start of the season. Our roster this year is loaded; there are the obviously questions about our frontcourt, but I see us being right in the mix, come March.

Our chemistry, plus the DUKE way of doing things (with the experienced players helping to bring along the newcomers), puts us a step ahead of many nationally ranked teams. GO DUKE !

Gunnar Kaufman
10-13-2008, 11:34 AM
I'm also looking forward to our pursuit of point guard Rollo Tomasi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollo_Tomasi) from the Los Angeles area, who leads the nation in steals and gets all the referee calls.

I thought his recruitment was off the record, on the QT, and very hush-hush.

BD80
10-13-2008, 12:42 PM

Actually, Kyle is 20 going on 21, but there is probably still room for physical maturation.

On the other hand, I think hansbla turns 35 this year, and it is likely osteoporosis is setting in. He may also have some tough trips up north during the winter, which aggravates his arthritis.

Kedsy
10-13-2008, 12:56 PM
Actually, Kyle is 20 going on 21, but there is probably still room for physical maturation.

On the other hand, I think hansbla turns 35 this year, and it is likely osteoporosis is setting in. He may also have some tough trips up north during the winter, which aggravates his arthritis.

Sorry, BD, I guess I should have checked the roster. All I know is when I was a sophomore I was 19 going on 20. Still, I believe most men continue to get physically stronger pretty much throughout their twenties. Plus don't the kids get supervised weight training in the summer? Which Kyle probably didn't have last summer before he got to college. He'll be stronger.

But your point on Hansbrough is a good one. Even if he's younger than he appears, when it comes to knees it's the mileage. And we all know he's traveled more miles on the court than almost anyone...

Wags
10-14-2008, 01:02 AM
Just today I realized how important Nolan will be to us this year. Last year DeMarcus primarily guarded the opposing teams best perimeter player. Nolan is going to have to guard players such as Lawson, Collison, Curry, etc. Hopefully Elliot can help with this. Just something to think about...

Oh yeah, I'd sure like to see some video of the scrimmage....