PDA

View Full Version : Anyone remember Bret Bearup?

BD80
10-10-2008, 03:09 PM
Bret is being pilloried by Mike Kahn as an architect in the Nugget's recent bonehead moves:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8653976/Nuggets'-problems-aren't-just-on-the-court

I recall Bret actually contributing on this board, but I don't recall the issue. I think it was a recruiting issue.

prefan21
10-10-2008, 03:13 PM
I seem to remember he was an NBA scout and said something to the effect of, "Watching Mike Dunleavy play is good for the soul."

jimsumner
10-10-2008, 03:47 PM
Bill Foster really, really wanted Bearup to play at Duke.

Carlos
10-10-2008, 08:12 PM
I seem to remember he was an NBA scout and said something to the effect of, "Watching Mike Dunleavy play is good for the soul."

No, Bearup had a firm that did financial advising for athletes. He was a fixture on the AAU circuit, making friends with the players when they were young in the hopes of signing them as clients after they got rich.

Bearup also used to take HS players on an annual European all-star trip and if you want a reason to really like him he got Tar Heel Eddie Fogler all cranky because Fogler felt that Bear was steering players to his friends Billy Donovan and Bob Huggins.

I had no idea he was in the Nuggets front office.

3rd Dukie
10-11-2008, 10:28 PM
Bill Foster really, really wanted Bearup to play at Duke.

I seem to recall that he played at KY. Is that correct? I am not sure about that.

Thanks.

jimsumner
10-11-2008, 11:07 PM
Yes. Bearup was a highly-recruited 6'9" post player. His college career overlapped with guys like Sam Bowie and Melvin "Please pass the gravy" Turpin, so he didn't have great stats. But he was a solid contributor to some good teams.

3rd Dukie
10-12-2008, 12:33 PM
Yes. Bearup was a highly-recruited 6'9" post player. His college career overlapped with guys like Sam Bowie and Melvin "Please pass the gravy" Turpin, so he didn't have great stats. But he was a solid contributor to some good teams.

That is about what I recalled.

Thank you.

merry
10-12-2008, 02:01 PM
I also remember him posting about his experience on 9/11 when he was half way back to the states on a flight frome New Zealand and the flight turned around and went back to NZ.

But yeah he posted about basketball stuff too ;)

RP_McMurphy
10-13-2008, 09:59 AM
http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statistics/Players/Bearup_Bret.html