PDA

View Full Version : KO Kansas?

BD80
10-10-2008, 02:05 AM
The Dallas Independent School District has re-opened an investigation into alleged improper grade changes for former star basketball player Darrell Arthur ...

WFAA-TV's follow-up found investigators may have failed to interview witnesses and review algebra, English and theatre arts grades received by Arthur.

If the district finds Arthur did not have sufficient credits to graduate from high school, Kansas could have to forfeit any or all games involving him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3635128

moonpie23
10-10-2008, 07:48 AM
that would be terrible for them....not only for that program, but it would put wind back in the heels' sail in a round-a-bout way...

wow.....i might have to change my avatar...

doctorhook
10-10-2008, 07:59 AM
I can see the banner right next to the 1924 Helms NC banner! It will read 2008 national champions with a footnote about D. Arthur. Doc

studdlee10
10-10-2008, 08:16 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but IF Kansas has to give back their title, shouldn't it go to Memphis, not UNC?

doctorhook
10-10-2008, 08:32 AM
Studlee,

Of course it would go to Memphis, but you are not thinking like a tarhole! Logic need not apply. Doc

Olympic Fan
10-10-2008, 10:50 AM
I hate to interject a note of reason to what is becoming a fun thread, but the fact is Kansas' national title is only in jeopardy if it is determined that Kansas was somehow involved in the grade fixing or knew about it and didn't report it.

This is one function of the NCAA Clearinghouse -- to protect schools from later relevantions about their status. Arthur was cleared to play by the Clearinghouse and thus Kansas can not be held responsible if it turns out his grades were altered and he should have been ineligible (again, UNLESS Kansas was involved).

This is very much the same situation as Duke and Maggette. The Duke haters out there are furious that Duke didn't have to forfeit any games when it came out in court that Maggette took illegal money from his AAU coach before coming to Duke. But the NCAA determined that Duke had no knowledge of Myron Piggie's crimes -- indeed, Piggie was convicted of defrauding Duke (and several other institutions) by secretly making payments that made those players ineligible.

Maggette was cleared by the Clearinghouse and Duke played him in good faith. If he had still been in school when the news of his violations broke, HE would have been penalized (other players involved received suspensions; the only forfeits involved were at UCLA were there were also payments from an agent AFTER the player enrolled). The point is, schools are always held responsible for violations committed AFTER a player enrolls (even if the school has no knowledge of those violations ... they are responsible for making sure the player knows and follows the roles). Before enrollment, the school is only responsible when they commit or can be shown to have known about the violation (for instance if a booster pays off a kid, THAT is a violation because the booster is seen as an agent for the school).

For Kansas to suffer in the Arthur case, it must be shown that not only were grades changed, but that an agent of the Kansas basketball program -- a coach or a booster -- was behind it or knew about it.

Clipsfan
10-10-2008, 12:04 PM
If he had still been in school when the news of his violations broke, HE would have been penalized (other players involved received suspensions; the only forfeits involved were at UCLA were there were also payments from an agent AFTER the player enrolled).

I don't remember this happening at UCLA in the last 10 years - who was the player and when did this happen?

BD80
10-10-2008, 12:05 PM
I hate to interject a note of reason to what is becoming a fun thread, but the fact is Kansas' national title is only in jeopardy if it is determined that Kansas was somehow involved in the grade fixing or knew about it and didn't report it.

... For Kansas to suffer in the Arthur case, it must be shown that not only were grades changed, but that an agent of the Kansas basketball program -- a coach or a booster -- was behind it or knew about it.

OK, if KU hired Arthur's dad and his dad "should" have known that his son's grades were changed ...?

OK, I'm just kidding.

If I recall, the Maggette recruitment jumped up 4 notches when Dane Fife selected Indiana. I always felt that the reason Magette left so early was because of the Piggie scandal. Of course, I also believe that MJ gave up two of his prime years as a basketball player to try baseball as part of a secret suspension from David Stern because of MJ's gambling issues.

DukeBlueBlood 2.0
10-10-2008, 01:05 PM
I don't remember this happening at UCLA in the last 10 years - who was the player and when did this happen?

I remember that. I believe it was Jaron Rush. IIRC Piggie paid Rush, Maggette and a few other players to play AAU ball. Could be wrong but I think that was who the UCLA player was.

DukeBlueBlood 2.0
10-10-2008, 01:08 PM
I always felt that the reason Magette left so early was because of the Piggie scandal.

I always suspected the same.

sandinmyshoes
10-10-2008, 02:22 PM
If KU was for some reason ruled to have knowingly commited the violation the title would be vacated and there would be no champion for that year. Is that not the way it works? Of course, our friends over at UNC would probably hang a Final Four banner with an asterisk denoting "we might maybe would've".