PDA

View Full Version : New jerseys

The Sandman
10-09-2008, 06:01 PM
Just checked out the player profiles on GoDuke, and everyone is pictured wearing what looks like a new jersey for this year. It's in the vein of all the other new Nike-sponsored teams' jerseys (UNC, for example) that don't have the side stripe coming up to the shoulders. Personally I think this looks terrible--I'm old school, I would love to see us go back to the plain blue and white jerseys we wore in the 90's--but maybe Nike pushed hard for it.

Thoughts?

freedevil
10-09-2008, 10:17 PM
It's a pretty terrible look. The shoulders need to be thinner. I don't know why Nike insists on making college jerseys uglier and uglier each season. And I like Nike for my own athletic gear.

msdukie
10-09-2008, 10:33 PM
It's a pretty terrible look. The shoulders need to be thinner. I don't know why Nike insists on making college jerseys uglier and uglier each season. And I like Nike for my own athletic gear.

The armhole trim has been narrowed and is a different material than last year, otherwise the jersey is the same. As for the pants, Duke got rid of the thick waistbands it has been using since 1980 and now the side paneling and stripes go all the way up to the top of the pants. Otherwise no changes.

As frequently pointed out, we need our traditional uniforms back.

-jk
10-09-2008, 10:56 PM
As frequently pointed out, we need our traditional uniforms back.

I like "traditional" but it's usually defined by when any given poster was in school, of course.

Short-shorts, anyone?

-jk

RainingThrees
10-09-2008, 11:09 PM
More pics of the players and jersey's.

http://www.blueplanetshots.com/gallery/6150723_EZQRn#P-1-12

I don't care what the design is anytime DUKE goes across the front of a jersey it looks good.

FireOgilvie
10-09-2008, 11:28 PM
I personally think the jerseys look great. It's a very clean look. I really hated that weird horizontal stripe we had at the top of the jerseys a few years ago...

http://soundandthefury.files.wordpress.com/2006/11/47511303_z.jpg

Edouble
10-10-2008, 12:18 AM
Honestly, they're not as bad as I was expecting. I'll live with them, and as FireOgilvie said, they're nowhere near as bad as those ones with the weird stripes from a few years back.

DU82
10-10-2008, 06:45 AM
I like "traditional" but it's usually defined by when any given poster was in school, of course.

Short-shorts, anyone?

-jk

GREEN Shorts? :-)

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-10-2008, 02:48 PM
After a casual look at them online, a couple of thoughts come to mind. The first is that the proportions are changed in a way that is not particularly pleasing to the eye nor is it flattering to the player wearing the uniform. The second is based in my knowledge of sewing. The seams along the stripes, particularly the shorts, have lots of little puckers and do not lie down flat, a sign of poor quality construction and possibly poor design (mismatched fabrics in terms of stretchability).

In the end, I know that whatever the fans think of the uniforms matters little to Nike or those who order the uniforms. Once the games begin, we'll see if the new streamlining and whatever fabric is used make a difference to the payers.

captmojo
10-10-2008, 03:33 PM
The most important question is, "Are they comfortable and do they allow plenty of freedom for movement?".

Doctor Joe
11-17-2008, 04:24 PM
I know they are just trying to keep up with the college hoops fashion trends, but I just don't like that wide-style jersey on Duke. I don't know the correct fashion term, but they are just too wide from the base of the neck to where the shoulder starts. It just does not fit my eye on what is otherwise a very classic looking basketball uniform. Wish they would bring back the "skinny-topped" jersey.

hurleyfor3
11-17-2008, 05:43 PM
Folks, all this talk about a new jersey just serves to reinforce people's stereotypes of Duke.

That said, I wish we could play some more regional finals there.

ricks68
11-17-2008, 05:55 PM
Excellent post. My sentiments exactly.

ricks

willywoody
11-17-2008, 06:55 PM
Folks, all this talk about a new jersey just serves to reinforce people's stereotypes of Duke.

That said, I wish we could play some more regional finals there.

??????? What stereotype?

btw, how are the new football jerseys going over on the UNC boards?

El_Diablo
11-17-2008, 07:42 PM
??????? What stereotype?

The stereotype that all Duke students are from New Jersey.

devildeac
11-17-2008, 11:16 PM
The stereotype that all Duke students are from New Jersey.

I still have trouble convincing folks that the largest # of Duke students are from NC and NJ is merely a top 10 contributor:o;).

camcraz25
11-18-2008, 12:08 AM
Does Throaty have a quick reference code for this thread? As it comes up every year regardless of what the uniforms look like :)

wilson
11-18-2008, 09:57 AM
Does Throaty have a quick reference code for this thread? As it comes up every year regardless of what the uniforms look like :)

Well, they've looked like [poop] for a decade-plus now (GET RID OF THE FRICKIN' BLACK ALREADY!!!), so I'm of the opinion that the annual discussion is totally reasonable.

wilson
11-18-2008, 10:00 AM
This is what a Duke uniform should look like (the bike shorts perhaps excepted).

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/233942.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1934A2752006EF5F0EDEDD96277C95D40B4 284831B75F48EF45

weezie
11-18-2008, 11:39 AM
Short-shorts, anyone?

-jk

What? Did somebody say Daniel Craig is painting a wall somewhere?

throatybeard
11-18-2008, 02:17 PM

5) Aesthetics

a) Our uniforms are/are not ugly.
b) Our [color] uniforms cause X result because the players get more/less confident in them.
c) I just saw this year’s new unis, and man, we really are Nike’s 75 cent whore, aren’t we?
d) Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me.
e) Our football field has a freaking track around it.
f) The Devil mascot needs to look exactly like it did 30, 50, or 70 years ago.
g) We need to wear our school color more, especially at events.
h) That’s not our school color!
i) One time Matt Doherty said our cheerleaders are ugly, so we hate him.
j) [Kid on Duke team, usually most prominent white player] makes me hot.
k) [Female player] is hot; (no she’s not—you’re a sexist pig!)
l) Let me tell you about this really hot cheerleader we had in 19XX; (you’re a sexist pig!)
m) Ugliest male players in ACC history.