PDA

View Full Version : D Nelson: NBA

Abraxas
10-09-2008, 09:31 AM
Second game/first victory: A 110-95 victory against Portland (w Oden). Nelson is competing for PG now because of Monta Ellis' motorcycle injury.

Here are the guards:

Starters
Name Min Reb Ast PF Pts
C Maggette, F 20 0 2 1 15 (SF/SG)
S Jackson, G 12 1 3 0 5 (SG)
M Williams, G 17 2 2 2 3

Bench
Name Min Reb Ast PF Pts
K Azubuike 24 1 3 3 18 (SG)
M Belinelli 26 4 1 3 9
D Dickau 21 5 1 2 8
D Nelson 12 2 1 3 8

Not bad! He got more points than Jackson, and was more effective than Dickau and Belinelli.

The Warriors are off to China for a week of pre-season. Hear the interview before the game with Coach Nelson. (link on the main page).

ForeverBlowingBubbles
10-09-2008, 09:34 AM
he's playing for hundreds of thousands minimum in a bad economy...

he also picked up 3 fouls in 9 minutes... though could just be a sign he's just trying too hard

Abraxas
10-09-2008, 09:37 AM
Everybody who is competing for the job picked up 2-3 fouls. If you listen to the interview, Coach Nelson kind of hinted that he does not improve, he will be sent to the developmental league. That will get your attention.

SilkyJ
10-09-2008, 01:03 PM
Everybody who is competing for the job picked up 2-3 fouls. If you listen to the interview, Coach Nelson kind of hinted that he does not improve, he will be sent to the developmental league. That will get your attention.

I guess he kind of said that, but I can't believe that's the part of the interview you would focus on! You are skipping over the fact that he brought up Demarcus without anyone even asking about him, or even the position. I mean he was asked about the young PF players and he responded to the question and then added, again, completely unprovoked, that no one is talking about Demarcus and that he is playing great and that he is "pretty excited about him."

You may very well be right and he may end up in the D-league. I'd call it 50/50 at best at this point, but still that was a pretty nice sound bit for d-marc.

ikiru36
10-11-2008, 04:27 PM
Check this (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/10/11/SP9013F51V.DTL) out.

Supposedly, the Warriors are gonna give Demarcus the preseason start tonight at point guard. I imagine that even most of us who are big Demarcus fans have some questions about his PG playmaking abilities (and shot mechanics, perhaps?), but it's great that he's getting the opportunity to show what he can do. Who knows, if he at least shows the handles to take care of the ball and break pressure when necessary, his defensive, slashing and rebounding abilities might be substantial enough to move him near/above CJ Watson, Dan Dickau or Marcus Williams on the Warriors back court depth chart? While ballhandling never appeared to be Demarcus strongest suit, the Warriors already have a pretty good distributing Point Forward in Stephen Jackson so who knows?

Hardly surprising that Coach Nelson would love Demarcus intensity and attitude, and he is a Bay Area native which I know (from Warriors fan boards) the fans out here appreciate. I'll be there tonight rooting him (and Corey) on.

Go Demarcus!!!!!! Go Duke!!!!!!!! Go Blue Devils!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. I still feel that it's a relative longshot that Demarcus makes the League without at least some substantial NBDL time (not that there's anything wrong with that) but whatever happens I'm super excited and proud of him for what he's accomplishing right now!

CameronBornAndBred
10-11-2008, 07:36 PM
GL Markie, anyone know if it's being televised?

Carlos
10-11-2008, 11:28 PM
I don't think it's televised but according to the live box score, midway through the second quarter Demarus is playing a great game. 12 minutes of playing time and he's 3-4 from the field for 6 points, 2 rebounds, 4 assists, and 2 steals.

Bob Green
10-12-2008, 01:19 AM
DeMarcus' Box Score (http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=281011009) line was fantastic:

33 minutes, 18 points, 7 assists, 4 rebounds, 4 steals, 2 turnovers, 2 personal fouls.

He went 8-10 from the floor and 2-2 from the free throw line. The coaching staff has to be impressed.

Acymetric
10-12-2008, 01:23 AM
DeMarcus Nelson had a great game tonight. 18 points, 7 assists, 4 steals, 4 rebounds, and just 2 fouls and two turnovers in 33 minutes. The 18 points include what ESPN described as two "thunderous dunks" in the second half. If he keeps playing like that it sounds like he'll have a good shot at a roster spot, especially considering his ties to the area.

I really liked Nelson all 4 years. His freshman year he had a great dunk, it reminded me of Grant Hill's dunk where he reached way back to grab the ball and slammed it in. Can't remember what game it was in, but it was awesome (I was there). I'll be pulling for any team he plays for in the future.

Edit: Took too long, Bob beat me to it. Oh well, I can always try next time there's a super late west coast game.

Abraxas
10-12-2008, 01:25 AM
Warriors beat OK 122-101
According to the NBA website, DeMarcus started and played 33:21, while Belinelli played 45:28, and C. Watson 16:56. Nelson played well with 8-10 FG, no 3-point FG attempts, and 2-2 Free throws. He was +19 for the game while MB was +20 (was 3-6 for 3-point FG). Watson was only +3. Maggette did not played.

Nelson had 18 points vs MB 22 points and CW 9 points.
Nelson had 7 assists vs MB 6 assists and CW 2 assists.
Nelson had 4 rebounds vs MB 3 rebournds and CW 1 rebounds.
Nelson had 4 steals vs MB 2 steals and CW 1 steals.
Nelson had 2 turnovers vs MB 1 TO and CW 1 TO.
Nelson had 2 personal fouls vs MB 3 PFs and CW 0 PFs.

http://www.nba.com/games/20081011/OKCGSW/boxscore.html

kinghoops
10-12-2008, 01:34 AM
great game by markie!!! despite all the bricks brandon wright was laying!

kinghoops
10-12-2008, 01:36 AM
great game by markie!!! despite all the bricks brandon wright was laying!

oh by the way, he was 3 for 11 on field goal attempts

Bob Green
10-12-2008, 01:51 AM
Took too long, Bob beat me to it. Oh well, I can always try next time there's a super late west coast game.

Super late west coast game equals middle of the afternoon the next day for me. :)

ikiru36
10-12-2008, 03:12 AM
Just got back from the game and Demarcus was the chosen game MVP! It was cool to hear his post-game interview broadcast throughout the stadium as we were leaving.

As of now, though Demarcus didn't play like a PG in the half-court, the Warriors traditional PG options, CJ Watson and M Williams really didn't step up. Demarcus simply played a steady, mature game, letting things come to him. He had some great steals and open court transition dunks. He had a couple of bad turnovers where he tried to force passes inside, but he moved well in the offense when he didn't have to initiate from up top. He hit a few mid-range jumpers and even nailed the two free throws I remember him taking!! It was a lot of fun to see him playing well and the fans around me were speaking well of his performance tonight. Anything can happen from here, but this was a really nice moment and performance by Markie.

The Warriors are now off to China for a couple of Pre-season games. I hope Demarcus gets to go, as that would be a cool travel opportunity for him. How excited would I be to be able to get a Nelson Warriors jersey (#20, btw)?!

Go Demarcus!!!!! Go Duke!!!!!!!!! Go Blue Devils!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got_Duke
10-12-2008, 12:07 PM
does anyone know where one might find video highlights of the game? i'm at work right now so I can't browse YouTube

Abraxas
10-12-2008, 01:34 PM
This is an interview on 10/10 prior to the game after D. Nelson was told that he was going to be starting. 9 min

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=nelson+warriors&hl=en&emb=0&aq=f#q=nelson%20warriors&hl=en&emb=0&aq=f&so=1

SilkyJ
10-12-2008, 04:24 PM
was out of town but just noticed D-marc stepped up huge yesterday! 18pts on 8-10 shooting- I thought he couldn't shoot? 7 assists- i thought he wasn't a PG? throw in 4 rebs and 4 steals!

I know its preseason, but you have to seize your opportunities.

I'm out here in SF and have only been to one warriors game, methinks I may be going to more...

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=281011009

BlueintheFace
10-15-2008, 06:21 PM
Geez, it looks like Demarcus is working his butt off and turning heads. Read the article or just check out the quote.

http://www.napavalleyregister.com/articles/2008/10/15/sports/doc48f576f7c4741556451725.txt

[Don]Nelson hinted on KNBR radio that he’d solve the puzzle the Warriors face at the point guard.
“I’ve actually got a plan, but I don’t want to reveal it quite yet,” the coach said on the radio. Then he showed his hand, at least a little.

“(DeMarcus) has gone from a guy who I didn’t think had a chance to make our team, and he’s coach’s favorite player right now,” Don Nelson told the Contra Costa Times last week. “That must mean something.”

DeMarcus Nelson’s battling for playing time, and the starting job, with veteran Marcus Williams, Golden State’s D-League reclamation project C.J. Watson and newly-acquired Dan Dickau.

...AND from another source

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=471367

But Watson is hardly the only option, and with Nelson's penchant for deck-shuffling, the smart money is that Watson won't be the starter by mid-November. A trimmed-down Marcus Williams, expected to be the starter in Ellis' absence, is still a factor, as is ex-Duke guard DeMarcus Nelson.

mgtr
10-15-2008, 06:50 PM
Given the opposition, Markie's cunning plan is clearly to leave a bunch of notebook computers around, apparently unguarded and unwatched. That should do it.

Carlos
10-15-2008, 08:44 PM
26 minutes, 8 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists for Demarcus in today's Golden State game in China.

RainingThrees
10-15-2008, 09:23 PM
This will be a great stroy if he wins the starting spot after being unlikely to make the roster. Us Duke fans have always known that he has the ability. It looks like other people are seeing it now.

gep
10-16-2008, 12:36 AM
This will be a great stroy if he wins the starting spot after being unlikely to make the roster. Us Duke fans have always known that he has the ability. It looks like other people are seeing it now.

Even greater is that he wasn't even drafted. I'm real happy for DN... he never appeared to me to be a "me first" kind of guy... just a guy who gives his all... all the time.:) Even if he's not a starter, I really hope he makes the team. As another poster said, the team/situation can make a big difference...

SilkyJ
10-16-2008, 01:06 PM
Given the opposition, Markie's cunning plan is clearly to leave a bunch of notebook computers around, apparently unguarded and unwatched. That should do it.

HAHAHAHAHA. POTD. No, Month!

Even greater is that he wasn't even drafted. I'm real happy for DN... he never appeared to me to be a "me first" kind of guy... just a guy who gives his all... all the time.:) Even if he's not a starter, I really hope he makes the team. As another poster said, the team/situation can make a big difference...

Exhibit A: Mike Dunleavy, who coincidentally, had to leave the warriors for that situational adjustment.

Dahntay is another example. Nuggets needed a lock-down wing defender.

Turtleboy
10-16-2008, 04:25 PM
Friday's Warriors/Bucks game is on ESPN2 at 11:30 PM.

Skitzle
10-16-2008, 04:46 PM
Not going to lie...

As a Warriors fan there is something about Nelson as starting point guard and Maggette as go-to scorer that makes me want to cry.

Faison1
10-17-2008, 10:48 AM
Not going to lie...

As a Warriors fan there is something about Nelson as starting point guard and Maggette as go-to scorer that makes me want to cry.

Happy Cry, or Sad Cry? :) or :(

Edouble
10-18-2008, 01:00 AM
Nelson didn't start the game, but he has started here in the second half.

moonpie23
10-18-2008, 01:47 AM
markie just ran a coast to coast ending with a jam that i only WISH he has displayed during his career at duke.....

ikiru36
10-18-2008, 01:51 AM
Demarcus having a really solid 3rd quarter. He just had the highlight dunk of the game in transition on Richard Jefferson at the 2:00 minute mark of the 3rd quarter. He's played the whole quarter thusfar, i think, and has 8 pts. Still hard not to think that Demarcus at the 1 in the NBA is a stretch but his handle has looked pretty good, using (and finishing with) both hands, and Marcus Williams has looked really bad (in my opinion). That's not a great thing to note as a Warriors fan and season ticket holder, but I'm psyched for Demarcus. Honestly he doesn't look like a star (actually, some of his dunks the past few games were pretty great) but he looks like he belongs out there. Not bad for a rookie with unexceptional height, moderate handles and a relatively slow and awkward outside shot.

Again, wtg Demarcus!!!!!!

Go Duke!!!!!!!!! Go Blue Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BlueintheFace
10-18-2008, 02:17 AM
that dunk was freakin awesome

stickdog
10-18-2008, 03:32 AM
DeMarcus Nelson played another great game in China overall: 10 points on 5-7 shooting, 3 rebounds, 2 assists & 2 steals against just one turnover in 28 minutes of play.

I think Markie has made a real statement in his last three games (36 total points on 17-23 shooting, 12 assists, 10 rebounds and 6 steals vs. just 5 turnovers & 4 PFs, plus great defense).

Barring a last minute trade, Nelson has made the Warriors' opening day team, IMHO. The 15th and final roster spot is now a battle between Anthony Morrow and Rob Kurz (tonight's unlikely hero).

Jim3k
10-18-2008, 06:23 AM
It's true that the box only shows 2 assists, but I watched the whole thing in its entirety and believe he should have been credited with at least 2 more, if not 3.

Neither Marcus Williams (who was pulled after only about 6 minutes, nor Dan Dickau played that well. Markie set Dickau up for at least two treys and Dickau missed both, despite being wide open.

Brandan Wright scored fairly well but had nowhere near the defensive game that his competition, Randolph did. They each played about a half. Wright was tentative for a while, but someone lit a fire under him and he got going.

Main problem for the Warriors was that Beidrins missed abunch of chippies, and Markie set up a few of those, too. As a result, the game went to the wire. First, as time wound down, the Warriors' Kurz hit a 3, followed by the Bucks answering with a three by Freije, leaving only1.4 on the clock. Kurz then hit a second three to win it at the buzzer. (It seemed to be quick buzzer, but the refs knew it and let it stand.) Neither Kurz nor Frieje are likely to make their squads but they made their cases.

RainingThrees
10-18-2008, 08:31 AM
Heres the link to the game recap. There is also a video where Demarcus dunks all over Richard Jefferson.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=281017015

Oriole Way
10-18-2008, 09:38 AM
DeMarcus looked awesome last night, and MUCH improved since last season. At times he seemed like a different player, because he was often playing the point, and his ball handling is so much better.

Really hope he makes the team, his play really justifies it so far.

moonpie23
10-18-2008, 10:22 AM
he did look very good last night.....i mean, you could tell all those new guys were motivatin' to make a statement...

i was very impressed with markie's ball handling....seems to have gotten much better...

and i think one of those FINE, upper-tier sports announcers said something about him "training at sea world with the seals"......or something...

way to go markie...

Edouble
10-18-2008, 01:02 PM
Still hard not to think that Demarcus at the 1 in the NBA is a stretch but his handle has looked pretty good, using (and finishing with) both hands... Honestly he doesn't look like a star (actually, some of his dunks the past few games were pretty great) but he looks like he belongs out there.

Exactly what I came away with after Nelson's excellent third quarter. It's nice to see him picking up on some of the lingering Duke energy over in China.

concrete
10-18-2008, 01:47 PM
i hear the whining from some posters - eerily similiar to the whining last year on TDD - about Demarcus' play last year. I thought he played terrific but didn't have the ball enough, due to the poor PG play last year. I think we all know he ended his career at Duke under-the-weather but watching him play last year, it seemed to be he was the best player on the court at times and a model of consistency.

Jim3k
10-18-2008, 07:20 PM
and i think one of those FINE, upper-tier sports announcers said something about him "training at sea world with the seals"......or something...

way to go markie...

Those 'upper tier' announcers were way upper tier -- all the way to Bristol, CT.

And the reference they made was to Markie training on the beaches with a retired Navy Seal a year ago -- which is true. It made sense if you actually heard it.

It must be tough to call a game that way, but ESPN is like any other network. Why treat preseason games as if they matter by sending actual staff halfway around the world? I just found it a bit annoying that they weren't able to see the action any better than the viewers could. So they were way behind in the substitutions, didn't keep up with refereeing and the things you'd expect from someone there.

Still, it was nice to see Markie work. It was also good to see Corey work. They know what they have with him so he was kept out of the game the entire second half. He is fun to watch. I'd have to say that the Bucks did much the same thing with their established starters. This was an opportunity for the rookies and free agents to show what they could do.

IMO, it looks to me that newcomers Markie and CJ Watson will have a significant role with the Warriors. Not so certain about Dickau and Williams. Williams had some dumb passes for TOs that cost him, I think. He looked a little lost. Markie, OTOH, had a number of excellent passes which should have been turned into points. If they had clicked on half of those, the Warriors would have won by 10 or 12. Dickau's two missed treys cost them 6.

speedevil
10-19-2008, 05:49 AM
Heres the link to the game recap. There is also a video where Demarcus dunks all over Richard Jefferson.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=281017015

wow... demarus, i always knew you had it in ya.

the fact that the dunk was left handed against a block attempt made it even more awesome

Davidson09
10-19-2008, 03:42 PM
i don't know if this has already been posted (apologies if it has), but it looks like demarcus has made the roster for the upcoming 2008-2008 season

http://www.nba.com/warriors/roster/index.html

Indoor66
10-19-2008, 04:10 PM
i don't know if this has already been posted (apologies if it has), but it looks like demarcus has made the roster for the upcoming 2008-2008 season

I believe that there are additional cuts to be made. Max Roster is, IRRC, 15.

Abraxas
10-19-2008, 04:10 PM
This is not the final roster for the season, just the pre-season roster (17 players). NBA teams can only have 15 players for the regular season, with 12 active for each game (and 3 inactive). Two of these are going to be cut. I like DeMarcus' chances on making the regular roster.

http://www.nba.com/news/rulechanges_060802.html

RainingThrees
10-19-2008, 06:20 PM
Awesome story to go from undrafted to not likely making the summer league roster to being on the team and possibly in the rotation is amazing! Keep it up Demarcus!

Jim3k
10-19-2008, 07:13 PM

That list shows 17 players. An NBA team can only have 15 on the active roster and may dress only 12.

So at least 2 cuts are coming.

Abraxas
10-20-2008, 03:13 AM
As reported in the main page, Dickau was just waived. DeMarcus seems to have made it into a regular season NBA roster.
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=10303

brevity
10-20-2008, 04:42 AM
As reported in the main page, Dickau was just waived. DeMarcus seems to have made it into a regular season NBA roster.
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=10303

Nice article. I forgot that DeMarcus Nelson was born in Oakland. Maybe he has a leg up on other newcomers in the fan favorite department.

Lord Ash
10-20-2008, 07:19 AM
As terrible as it might sound, I really didn't expect Demarcus to do anything in the NBA; his play is a real pleasant surprise! Go Demarcus!

Billy Dat
10-20-2008, 09:54 AM
Sometime right after the season ended, someone asked Coach about Markie's subpar performance down the stretech and he said something to the effect of, "Sometimes a kid just wants it so badly that it gets in his way." I think that Markie was feeling the pressure of carrying the team as captain - he wanted an ACC title and a deep run in the NCAAs to legitimize his career and he tightened up. Even though the pressure to realize his NBA dream would seem to be greater now, I think he probably mentally relaxed and is therefore realizing his full potential. No one sees him coming, and he's making people pay. You think Richard Jefferson thought he was swooping in for a dunk on that fast break? I hope he signs for that guaranteed money and stays loose enough to continue the amazing run he's been on.

Abraxas
10-20-2008, 11:51 AM
According to Hoops World, he only signed for this year at minimum NBA. The good news is that if he does well in the regular season, then he will have a better contract as soon as his second year.

To see contracts and salaries, scroll to the bottom of this link:
http://www.hoopsworld.com/teams/team.asp?TEAM_ID=2

stickdog
10-20-2008, 02:04 PM
There is still one more cut to be made, but most observers (including me) feel that Markie's place on the team is secure and one of Rob Kurz/Anthony Morrow will be the last man standing.

JasonEvans
10-20-2008, 03:30 PM
There is still one more cut to be made, but most observers (including me) feel that Markie's place on the team is secure and one of Rob Kurz/Anthony Morrow will be the last man standing.

Anthony Morrow?!?!?! What is it about these kids who are ok but hardly a star at Ga Tech but then go on to make an NBA roster??! Mario West did it last year for the Hawks and will almost certainly be on the Hawks roster this year. Now Anthony Morrow **. Wow!

--Jason "** noted-Morrow was waaay better than West in college, but still, I am stunned he is in line to make some NBA money" Evans

Jim3k
10-20-2008, 07:59 PM
Although I only saw the one game on TV, if I were Don Nelson/Chris Mullen, I'd keep Kurz. He's got an inside-outside game and some rebounding capabilities. Morrow did not impress me; he's supposed to be a spot-up shooter, but he didn't show it in that game. Kurz hit two threes as the clock wound down. That's a valuable skill for a 6-9, 230 dude. Besides, he's a Brey kid; he no doubt knows his basketball.

gotham devil
10-20-2008, 08:33 PM
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Top-NBA-Draft-Prospects-in-the-ACC--Part-Four-16-20--3021/

dukestheheat
10-20-2008, 09:27 PM
gotham devil-

(cool dbr handle, by the way...). It's widely known that if Nolan chooses to go pro early and leave Duke, I, dukestheheat, will stay home for one week and mourn, taking anti-depressant pills.

So, that means he's here for four years.

dth.

MulletMan
10-20-2008, 09:44 PM
gotham devil-

(cool dbr handle, by the way...). It's widely known that if Nolan chooses to go pro early and leave Duke, I, dukestheheat, will stay home for one week and mourn, taking anti-depressant pills.

So, that means he's here for four years.

dth.

Ummm... yeah, don't panic too much with Nolan's inclusion on that list. They list him at what, 16th or 17th best prospect in the ACC? Considering the number of players taken from the ACC in the last three years (2008 - 3, 2007 - 8, 2006 - 6) I think it'll be OK.

Scorp4me
10-20-2008, 09:48 PM
Wow, let's check out a few exerts from this article...

"shockingly ahead of..."

"Clearly he wasn’t able to live up to them in his first season of college hoops."

"He appears to be somewhat out of control at times with his forays to the rim, and is excessively turnover prone at this stage."

"The coaching staff at Duke never saw a reason to correct DeMarcus Nelson’s poor shooting mechanics over the course of four years, and he’s had to take the long road to making the NBA for that reason. It will be interesting to see if they care enough about Smith’s pro potential to sacrifice somewhat in the short-term and help him in this regard over the long-term."

"too often though those moments were mixed in with mental lapses and out of control play..."

"Not showing an incredible amount of upside..."

"he’ll get all the attention he could ever ask for from NBA types, which could be either a blessing or a curse..."

wow, who pee'd in their corn flakes?

zingit
10-20-2008, 10:20 PM
I didn't think that most of those comments were unfair; it's their job to be critical of draft prospects, and they vet almost everyone that way. The only comments that made me go "Huh?" were the "not showing an incredible amount of upside" comment, because I think he can be really good if he improves on his weaknesses, and the comments about his (and DeMarc's) shooting form. I'm not a basketball player, so I really don't know that much about shooting form. Anyone else care to explain that comment? I hadn't ever noticed anything wrong with Nolan's form.

Bluedog
10-20-2008, 10:35 PM
I didn't think that most of those comments were unfair; it's their job to be critical of draft prospects, and they vet almost everyone that way. The only comments that made me go "Huh?" were the "not showing an incredible amount of upside" comment, because I think he can be really good if he improves on his weaknesses, and the comments about his (and DeMarc's) shooting form. I'm not a basketball player, so I really don't know that much about shooting form. Anyone else care to explain that comment? I hadn't ever noticed anything wrong with Nolan's form.

The comment saying Duke coaches don't care about their players long-term development didn't make you go "huh"? Or even mentioning that there were rumors of him transferring this summer when he himself rebuked those rumors 100% of the time. Those comments sure made me go "huh?" DeMarcus' form is definitely unorthodox - but so was Reggie Miller's and he was a decent three point shooter. ;)

Inonehand
10-20-2008, 10:50 PM
The comment saying Duke coaches don't care about their players long-term development didn't make you go "huh"? Or even mentioning that there were rumors of him transferring this summer when he himself rebuked those rumors 100% of the time. Those comments sure made me go "huh?" DeMarcus' form is definitely unorthodox - but so was Reggie Miller's and he was a decent three point shooter. ;)

The statement about the Duke coaches not caring was a dirty jab with no substance. However, why DeMarcus' shooting mechanics were not fixed I have no idea. aybe they tried. It was miserable to watch and the exact reason he was so inconsistant. He made a fair percentage but when he missed, he often missed with a clank to either side...not a shooter's miss.

RainingThrees
10-20-2008, 10:53 PM
His shooting form is off because he broke his wrist in his sophomore year at Duke. He had to adjust it to what it is now.

phaedrus
10-20-2008, 11:28 PM
Anyone else care to explain that comment? I hadn't ever noticed anything wrong with Nolan's form.

Nolan's form could use some improvement, but it's much better than Demarcus' was/is. It doesn't seem to affect the speed of his release too much, and he made a decent percentage last year.

Maybe it's just karma because we got to see the prettiest jumpshot in the universe for 4 years and 2700+ points.

Edouble
10-20-2008, 11:50 PM
Maybe it's just karma because we got to see the prettiest jumpshot in the universe for 4 years and 2700+ points.

Damn right! :mad:

ikiru36
10-21-2008, 12:29 AM
Seems kinda crazy but it was apparently announced today (http://48minutes.net/2008/10/20/its-official-demarcus-nelson-to-start-at-the-point-for-ws/) that Demarcus will be the Warriors' starting PG to begin the season.

I've watched Demarcus in all the pre-season games thusfar and it is hard to argue that he hasn't been the most consistent and impressive of himself, CJ Watson, Marcus Williams and Dan Dickau. Given that Nellie is somewhat infamous for not playing/trusting rookies, Demarcus success thusfar is all the more impressive. As a Warriors season ticket holder, I'm super excited to have 2 Duke guys to watch start(though my Maggette affinity is certainly relatively slighter), while at the same time (as a Warriors season ticket holder) somewhat frightened that Demarcus' (as a rookie, no less) should be our starting PG.

In any event, thusfar Demarcus has done an excellent job showcasing his strengths and improving his weaknesses and has now probably earned himself at least a year to prove himself in the big show!!!

WTG Demarcus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Warriors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Blue Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Any Bay Area DBR peeps who'd like to check out a Warriors game this year, gimme a PM and I'll check with you when I have a possible ticket (or two) available.

Jumbo
10-21-2008, 01:02 AM
Seems kinda crazy but it was apparently announced today (http://48minutes.net/2008/10/20/its-official-demarcus-nelson-to-start-at-the-point-for-ws/) that Demarcus will be the Warriors' starting PG to begin the season.

I've watched Demarcus in all the pre-season games thusfar and it is hard to argue that he hasn't been the most consistent and impressive of himself, CJ Watson, Marcus Williams and Dan Dickau. Given that Nellie is somewhat infamous for not playing/trusting rookies, Demarcus success thusfar is all the more impressive. As a Warriors season ticket holder, I'm super excited to have 2 Duke guys to watch start(though my Maggette affinity is certainly relatively slighter), while at the same time (as a Warriors season ticket holder) somewhat frightened that Demarcus' (as a rookie, no less) should be our starting PG.

In any event, thusfar Demarcus has done an excellent job showcasing his strengths and improving his weaknesses and has now probably earned himself at least a year to prove himself in the big show!!!

WTG Demarcus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Warriors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Blue Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Any Bay Area DBR peeps who'd like to check out a Warriors game this year, gimme a PM and I'll check with you when I have a possible ticket (or two) available.

I am so happy for DeMarcus. I've been on record for a long time as saying that he had barely any chance to stick in the NBA. Please feed me some crow.

The fact that he made the roster is surprising enough. But to start the opener (yeah, Monta Ellis is hurt) and to do so at point guard (I know, Stephen Jackson is basically a point forward), a position he never seemed suited to play at Duke? Stunning. Markie landed on the perfect team with the perfect coach -- if anyone was going to find a way to make use of his skills, Don Nelson was the guy. But Markie made this happen with hard work, determination and natural talent. Congratulations, Markie. You deserve this.

Edouble
10-21-2008, 01:14 AM
Anthony Morrow?!?!?! What is it about these kids who are ok but hardly a star at Ga Tech but then go on to make an NBA roster??! Mario West did it last year for the Hawks and will almost certainly be on the Hawks roster this year.

For every Anthony Morrow and Mario West, there's a Dion Glover, a BJ Elder, or an Alvin Jones. :o

VaDukie
10-21-2008, 01:39 AM
Well, the Warriors have officially replaced the Clippers as my West Coast team. Nelson and Maggette should be a lot of fun to watch together.

BD80
10-21-2008, 08:32 AM

And Felton can't win a job for the Carolina Bobheels. [Snort]

And Lawson avoided this draft. [Guffaw]

And Markie beat out the uCon career leader in steals (based on total dollar value). [Uncontrollable giggling]

watzone
10-21-2008, 09:28 AM
Can anybody pull up the thread where so many said Nelson would never make it in the NBA and I stated he could and that you can't measure heart?

I am really happy for Markie.

JasonEvans
10-21-2008, 09:42 AM
For every Anthony Morrow and Mario West, there's a Dion Glover, a BJ Elder, or an Alvin Jones. :o

Ummm, Dion Glover earned several million dollars from the NBA. He was a 10ppg scorer one season.

But, you are right that Morrow and especially West don't have close to the athletic talent of Elder or Jones but would appear (especially in the case of West) to have more of an NBA career.

--Jason "the number of Ga Tech guys to earn an NBA paycheck might surprise you" Evans

_Gary
10-21-2008, 09:45 AM
I am so happy for DeMarcus. I've been on record for a long time as saying that he had barely any chance to stick in the NBA. Please feed me some crow.

The fact that he made the roster is surprising enough. But to start the opener (yeah, Monta Ellis is hurt) and to do so at point guard (I know, Stephen Jackson is basically a point forward), a position he never seemed suited to play at Duke? Stunning. Markie landed on the perfect team with the perfect coach -- if anyone was going to find a way to make use of his skills, Don Nelson was the guy. But Markie made this happen with hard work, determination and natural talent. Congratulations, Markie. You deserve this.

I couldn't agree more with you, Jumbo. I'll eat some crow too because I honestly didn't think Markie had a prayer to make an NBA team. Shame on me for thinking that. But to start? And at the point? I'm not sure but what this is the most pleasant Dukie in the NBA surprise I've ever witnessed. Just unbelievable.

And you are correct that so much of this had to do with him being in the right place at the right time. I know that it's not always about that, and that you've disagreed with me in the past with guys like Dunleavy before Indiana and maybe JJ in Orlando, but I sincerely believe for guys like Markie and JJ - guys that may not have all the typical NBA features (not tall enough for their position; too slow for their position; can't handle the ball; etc) - I just believe sometimes it does come down to being in the right spot at the right time. And conversely, the opposite has happened to a few of our Duke alum in the past. Again, JJ is the perfect example. There's just no doubt in my mind, after watching him for 3 years in Orlando, that the young man can play the SG position and be a contributor on a team. Maybe not a starter, but at least a 15 to 20 minute a night scorer off the bench. But he's had so many things go against him. I just hope that somehow this becomes the year things fall into place for him - like things have done for Markie. JJ works hard too, and I'd love for him to succeed.

Anyhow, congrats to Markie! Make the most of it my friend!!!

Gary

RainingThrees
10-21-2008, 11:13 AM
Demarcus is the starting pg for the Warriors!!! Holy ****. Wow go Demarcus true underdog story.

RainingThrees
10-21-2008, 02:56 PM
Sorry to take so long but here's the link

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Meet-your-new-Warriors-starting-point-guard;_ylt=Ap_zqbOUSYBeH5NQdlkV5V8TPqB4?urn=nba,11 6307

Congrats Demarcus and keep up the good work!!

DevilCastDownfromDurham
10-21-2008, 03:50 PM
Who would have expected that the Duke player from our vaunted 2006 team with the most NBA success would be Nelson? :eek:

Congrats to DeMarcus. Your hard work and dedication in the face of injuries and doubters has really paid off. I hope we can look forward to cheering for you in the NBA for years to come.

RainingThrees
10-21-2008, 08:12 PM
http://www.examiner.com/x-726-College-Sports-Examiner~y2008m10d20-The-Greg-Paulus-Dilemma

Article on Greg and Nolan.

Plus a poll on who should start.

bludvlman
10-21-2008, 08:24 PM
congrats Nelson, can't believe he is playing the point but he should really help GS with its poor defense.

kinghoops
10-21-2008, 08:47 PM
way to go markie!!!!!!!!!!

Lord Ash
10-21-2008, 08:51 PM
So I know I already said this... but man, crazy!

dukebballcamper90-91
10-21-2008, 09:08 PM
Nolan, for some reason reminds me of Avery. I think a break out year for him is on deck. The heck with that Sr, captain crap. If he is better than GP3 let him play.

RainingThrees
10-21-2008, 09:31 PM
The Warriors are playing tonight against Lietuvos Rytas. Meanwhile Dahntay Jones is starting in Allen Iversons spot for the Nuggets.

BlueintheFace
10-21-2008, 11:23 PM
Can somebody explain to me how right now Demarcus' stat line as a starter reads:

0 Minutes
3 PF
0/1 fg
1 Reb

Does this mean in 60 seconds of play or less he took a shot, got a rebound, and committed 3 fouls?

ice-9
10-21-2008, 11:23 PM
Wow, and I thought CDu and Booz were great underdog stories! I now have a new NBA player to really root for. Go DeMarcus Nelson!!

CameronBornAndBred
10-22-2008, 12:07 AM
Can somebody explain to me how right now Demarcus' stat line as a starter reads:

0 Minutes
3 PF
0/1 fg
1 Reb

Does this mean in 60 seconds of play or less he took a shot, got a rebound, and committed 3 fouls?

Looked at his stats just now, all still low. I think he's being rested...which is way beyond cool. Congrats to the max...yer gettin' paid to sit on yer butt! (for the better good!)

P.S. From what I read..3 reb and 3 PF in 9 minutes..Markie's a brawler :)

Bob Green
10-22-2008, 02:14 AM
Here is the final box score:

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=281021009

DeMarcus Nelson played 19 minutes and logged 11 points, 8 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 steals, 3 turnovers and 4 personal fouls.

Another solid performance.

Jim3k
10-22-2008, 03:27 AM
Here is the final box score:

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=281021009

DeMarcus Nelson played 19 minutes and logged 11 points, 8 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 steals, 3 turnovers and 4 personal fouls.

Another solid performance.Ikiru 36 and I went to the game, primarily to watch Markie and Corey.

Markie had a bit of a false start, getting called or 3 fouls within the first 4 or 5 minutes of the game. This limited his first quarter significantly. And, when he returned toward the end of Q2, he was forced to play off the ball. He actually did quite well during the rest of the game, but primarily defensively. Instead of playing on the ball, he played smartly in the passing lanes and must have disrupted about 15 of the Lithuanian team's offensive efforts. ESPN's box is a little misleading in the steals department, but I guess to be credited with a steal, you have to outright take it away. Markie was simply deflecting the ball on a regular basis.

CJ Watson got most of the minutes but really wasn't playing a true point. The Warriors had multiple people bringing the ball up. But I will say that the 1 assist credited to Markie is incorrect. He had at least 4 where people scored off his passes. Some of his passes found the mark but were not converted into points. So he was doing the right thing. As for the offense, Azubuike and Maggette were the most active. Stephen Jackson is a scoring machine but doesn't really mix it up the way the other two do.

Most of Markie's points came at the end of the game when it was already beyond reach. That isn't to say that he wasn't offensively effective, but given the false start due to his early foul trouble, he really never got untracked. He did lead the team in both offensive Rebounds and total rebounds, so he was doing quite a bit right in a short stint.

On the whole it was a successful game for him -- even though the competition was not NBA caliber. The Lithuanians played hard and have some good players, but there is no way that team succeeds against an NBA team.

And, just to round the whole thing out, both Ikiru36 and I thought the refereeing was spotty all around. Maggette got a T because he said something he shouldn't have -- probably with good reason. He really is good at getting to the FT line. He remains fun to watch, though he and Al Harrington are very similar.

And, we both agree that Brandan Wright looked good -- offensively, he's much better than rookie Anthony Randolph. Defensively, it's the other way around.

Bob Green
10-22-2008, 03:59 AM
Ikiru 36 and I went to the game, primarily to watch Markie and Corey.

Thanks Jim. Nothing beats an eyewitness report!

Abraxas
10-22-2008, 10:09 AM
During the first half, DM played less than 4 minutes and got tagged with 3 PF early in the first quarter, forcing Watson and others to come in. He did play on the second hand, but if I recalled, during the 3rd quarter, his defense took a toll, and the other team made some catching up during that time. However, he adjusted and played better on the 4th quarter finishing with 11 points and 8 rebounds in 19:13 minutes. Overall, not a good first quarter for DM.

Here is the final boxscore:
http://www.nba.com/games/20081021/LRYGSW/boxscore.html

CameronBornAndBred
10-24-2008, 08:20 AM
His only competition is injured (http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_10800315) Now the Warriors, who had so many PG's preseason that they had to waive one (Dickau), will now probably have to pick up one off of waivers. Demarcus' first game will be Wednesday.

ikiru36
10-25-2008, 01:46 AM
It's my personal sense that (even prior to CJ Watson's injury) Don Nelson named Demarcus the starter partly due to his impressive character, maturity and solid play but as much so to light a fire under C.J. Watson and Marcus Williams as the Warriors more likely PG starters.

Having watched much of Demarcus' pre-season play, he really has shown solid ball handling, passing and mid-range shooting to go along with the hard-nosed defense, slashing/finishing ability and rebounding we all know him for. Nevertheless, (and it's really not meant as a knock on him) he is not a natural to lead the teams offense in the half-court and is more of a dangerous finisher than passer on the fast break. It's gonna be fascinating to see how he does in his first game against, pretty inarguably, the best Point Guard (if not league MVP) of the entire NBA, Chris Paul.

Despite whatever my doubts/concerns may be, I'm really excited to root Demarcus on at the game this coming Wednesday!

Go Demarcus!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Warriors!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Blue Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gep
10-25-2008, 02:19 AM
I am SO happy for DeMarcus. I liked him from the start... as a freshman. I'd like to think (but, I don't know at all) that his work ethic, his team-first... all work towards his success. Also, I'd like to think that his summer with the Navy Seal training helped him... not only in development, but in total work ethic. I hope he "sticks"... he's on the top of my list for tracking this year...:D As I've posted before, this is an even larger story since he wasn't even drafted!!!

DukieInBrasil
10-26-2008, 06:45 PM
thatīs one of the craziest stat lines iīve ever seen for a starting PG...8rebs and 1 assist. Good shooting night for Demarcus though. I hope he keeps it up.

CameronBornAndBred
10-26-2008, 06:51 PM
His coach Don Nelson was given a 2 year extension this weekend, which is good for Demarcus. Nelson is known for his unconventional choices at roster, one of the primary reasons behind Markie being where he is. From what I've read, lots of folks in SF would not have minded him (Don Nelson) being shown the door.

BlueintheFace
10-26-2008, 06:52 PM
Plus CJ Watson has an injured elbow and will be out for quite a while now...

ikiru36
10-27-2008, 12:34 AM
His coach Don Nelson was given a 2 year extension this weekend, which is good for Demarcus. Nelson is known for his unconventional choices at roster, one of the primary reasons behind Markie being where he is. From what I've read, lots of folks in SF would not have minded him (Don Nelson) being shown the door.

Not meaning to start anything but where does this impression come from re:Coach Nelson? As a Warriors fan, ticket holder and fansite reader that would not be my general impression of how many fans feel. Nelson is currently less than 60 games from breaking the all-time NBA wins record, has a genuinely interesting (if unpredictable) personality, and his coaching acumen, particularly creatively exploiting offensive mismatches is largely credited for making the Warriors one of the most enjoyable teams in the league to watch. Some worry about his age and would like to see Keith Smart get a chance to coach, but aside from his steep (if likely deserved) fee, approx. $6 mil./year, it's hard to argue that the Warriors could possibly do any better.

Certainly, between the ownership (Rowell/Cohan) the GM (Mullin) and the Coach (Nelson), the latter is by far most credited as having made a positive impact on the franchise these past few years. Anyways, just wondering where your impression came from. I'm sure he has his detractors (with suitably valid rationales) but my impression is he is far more beloved than reviled.

Go Warriors!!!!!! Go Demarcus!!!!!!!!! Go Blue Devils!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!

CameronBornAndBred
10-27-2008, 01:42 AM
Not meaning to start anything but where does this impression come from re:Coach Nelson?
You might very well be right, I went back and looked at all the articles and nothing stands out, maybe it was in some of the reader comments, or maybe I've just lumped him in with Chris Mullin.

phaedrus
10-27-2008, 10:22 AM
Some worry about his age...

Why worry about his age? He's four years younger than John McCain!

Oops, wrong board.