PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 coaches at the end of this era.

RainingThrees
10-08-2008, 05:36 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/64967-who-will-be-the-top-five-coaches-at-the-end-of-this-era/poll_results#poll

How is Coach K 3 and behind Williams!!! There is also a poll to vote on.

shoutingncu
10-08-2008, 05:44 PM
When did Roy Williams win two national championships?

Wait, was he around in 1924?

slower
10-08-2008, 05:46 PM
This guy is a self-proclaimed diehard Wisconsin Badger fan. And his #1 coach is...Bo Ryan! Big surprise. But he does say (at least, I think that's what he said) that Duke will win the ACC this year. Guy's quite the maverick, isn't he?

brevity
10-08-2008, 07:21 PM
This guy is a self-proclaimed diehard Wisconsin Badger fan. And his #1 coach is...Bo Ryan! Big surprise.

I don't know if you can call this an article, but it's a terrible one. This guy gives no real reason for ranking one person over another. Rick Pitino over Jim Calhoun? Okay, that's your opinion, but why?

I'm all for contrarianism, but if you're going to put Bo Ryan at #1, you should at least predict a few titles for Wisconsin or cite an impressive winning percentage stat or something.

There are enough people out there feeding their listmaking compulsion as it is. So if you're going to bother, at least make one with a purpose.

(I'm open to thoughts on how exactly one defines "this era." Post-Bobby Knight, maybe? Are we including all active coaches as of right now? Seems silly to put, say, Jim Boeheim and Jeff Capel in the same era. And when is this era considered over?)

LetItBD08
10-08-2008, 07:52 PM
When did Roy Williams win two national championships?

When did Coach K get about 80 wins knocked off his career total?

When did there become interchangeable with their?

Not exactly a great article.

CameronBornAndBred
10-08-2008, 07:53 PM
What is his definition of an era? Stupid article, this one line stood out most for me.
"My honorable mentions are Florida's Billy Donovan. He would have been my No. 1 coach at the end of this era if he didn't almost leave the Florida Gators." Nice grammar there. And foolish reasoning. "He woulda been up there if he hadn't almost left, which he didn't, so since he stayed he doesn't make my list". Hmmmmm

DevilDan
10-08-2008, 11:27 PM
I agree with you guys .... what a total piece of crap this "TOP 5" is. Say what ??

1. What is the measuring stick for "this era" ? Start Date ? End Date ?
2. Roy Williams and Bo Ryan (huh?) are ahead of Coach K ?? Duh ?
3. Do the notes show ANY rhyme or reason for the choices ?

Me thinks this must be one of those "polls" placed into circulation, just to get the blood boiling. Coach K and Rick P. belong at the top, with Calhoun and Roy a distant 3rd-4th, and the great Bo Ryan... uh.... well, the ERA hasn't ended yet (please reference #1)

Anyway, GO DUKE !

VAGentleman05
10-09-2008, 09:24 AM
This is one of the worst articles I've ever read. Very poor logic (the Donovan reasoning is completely asinine, for starters) and way too much drama. In no universe can a guy with a couple hundred wins and no national titles be ranked ahead of the others on that list. And as much as it pains me to say it, there's no way you can't put Coach K at the top of the list.

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-09-2008, 09:34 AM
Amateurs like this guy do not deserve to be discussed, linked, etc. This is a perfect example of what's wrong with the Internet these days. So let's stop driving traffic his way and helping him sell ads.

bdh21
10-09-2008, 09:49 AM
How many times do you have to reach into a dumpster to realize all you're pulling out is trash?

On a related note, can we all make a pact to stop linking Bleacher Report?

davekay1971
10-09-2008, 10:09 AM
How many times do you have to reach into a dumpster to realize all you're pulling out is trash?

On a related note, can we all make a pact to stop linking Bleacher Report?

I'm in. That was garbage. The guy clearly doesn't know basketball, can't get his facts straight, and doesn't have a command of fundamental rules of writing. No more links to that site.

HOWEVER: Calhoun is currently #1 in the poll, right in front of Coach K. Calhoun has 1 less title, but 35,867 more violations of NCAA rules (approximately). This cannot be allowed to stand. Remember, as with all polls and elections, vote early and often. Contact ACORN for helpful advice on that.

RainingThrees
10-09-2008, 06:07 PM
This article is garbage. Especially Bo Ryan. How many titles has he won?

slower
10-09-2008, 07:09 PM
Remember, as with all polls and elections, vote early and often. Contact ACORN for helpful advice on that.

Or for advice on how to suppress or intimidate those voters, get in touch with Uncle Karl or one of his disciples.

RainingThrees
10-09-2008, 07:11 PM
Hilarious how Bo Ryan is last in the voter poll. Is this guy really a writer?

CameronBornAndBred
10-09-2008, 07:47 PM
Hilarious how Bo Ryan is last in the voter poll.

It's hard to vote for the guy when his name corresponds directly to the question "Who?"

Carlos
10-09-2008, 08:11 PM
My list of the "Top 5 Coaches at the End of This Era"

Mike Krzyzewski and 4 other guys

BTW - When does this era end and the next one begin? I'm just trying to get a handle on that.

dkbaseball
10-10-2008, 03:19 PM
Anyone who follows Wisconsin hoops closely knows that Ryan has been coaching the hell out of the material at hand, doing probably as good a job of putting his team on the floor ready to compete as anybody. But he's disinclined, for whatever reason, to swing for the fences in recruiting and compete with the Dukes and and Carolinas for high profile guys (Brian Butch being the only exception). Some in the fan base think that he has established a ceiling for the program, where they will be good every year, often quite good, but always a bit short of final four good.

davekay1971
10-10-2008, 04:21 PM
Or for advice on how to suppress or intimidate those voters, get in touch with Uncle Karl or one of his disciples.

Whatever one thinks of Rove, it doesn't make what ACORN is ***apparently*** doing any less heinous. But that's for an off-topic thread.

As for Bo, he does get great production out of the talent he has. But in the college game, recruiting is part of what defines the success and failure of a coach. The truly elite have to be great recruiters, as well as good teachers, tacticians, motivators, etc...

A more interesting question is perhaps who the writer left off the list. I read the howls of protest from the MSU backers...any others that were shafted by the author's...ahem...expert opinion.

slower
10-10-2008, 05:19 PM
Whatever one thinks of Rove, it doesn't make what ACORN is ***apparently*** doing any less heinous. But that's for an off-topic thread.

And an off-topic thread is probably where the comment should have gone in the first place.