PDA

View Full Version : Ginyard injury

beach rev
10-08-2008, 05:02 PM
According to Fox Sports, Marcus Ginyard is out for eight weeks with a foot injury.

Bob Green
10-08-2008, 05:12 PM
This is a tough break (http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc/story/3698391/) for Marcus. I wish him a speedy return as I never like to see athletes injured. Once again, it is the 5th Metatarsal that is fractured.

yancem
10-08-2008, 05:36 PM
That's a shame for Ginyard. He is probably the only UNC I actually like. He always plays hard and has a nose for defense. His offensive abilities are under appreciated as well.

On the other hand this could be bad news for UNC. I know that they are very deep and talented but I have always felt that a great team (if not a championship team) needs a gritty, all purpose glue guy that brings selflessness and intangibles to the table. Duke had Battier in '99, James in '01, Duhon in '04, MD had Byron Mouton in '02, and UNC had Jackie Manuel in '05 just to name a few examples. If Green didn't had a different attitude he could fill that role but he seems a little too selfish and egotistical to play the part.

I'm not saying that without Ginyard that UNC can't win the NC. I just think that he may be more important to their title hopes than anyone outside of Hansolo or maybe Lawson. Without him who is going to get his hands dirty and do all of the little things necessary to close out a close game? Hansolo, Lawson, Ellington and Green can all make a big shot if needed but I wouldn't count on any of them to get a key steal, block or recover a loose ball which is just as important.

Kedsy
10-08-2008, 06:30 PM
On the other hand this could be bad news for UNC. I know that they are very deep and talented but I have always felt that a great team (if not a championship team) needs a gritty, all purpose glue guy that brings selflessness and intangibles to the table.

If the guy's out for 8 weeks, that means he'll return in early December. I doubt this will affect UNC (or anyone else, outside the Ginyard family and/or Marcus's girlfriend, if any) very much at all.

brevity
10-08-2008, 07:23 PM
Here's to UNC flailing mightily while he's gone and suffering chemistry problems when he's back to 100 percent.

Edouble
10-08-2008, 08:06 PM
That's a shame for Ginyard. He is probably the only UNC I actually like. He always plays hard and has a nose for defense. His offensive abilities are under appreciated as well.

On the other hand this could be bad news for UNC. I know that they are very deep and talented but I have always felt that a great team (if not a championship team) needs a gritty, all purpose glue guy that brings selflessness and intangibles to the table. Duke had Battier in '99, James in '01, Duhon in '04, MD had Byron Mouton in '02, and UNC had Jackie Manuel in '05 just to name a few examples. If Green didn't had a different attitude he could fill that role but he seems a little too selfish and egotistical to play the part.

I'm not saying that without Ginyard that UNC can't win the NC. I just think that he may be more important to their title hopes than anyone outside of Hansolo or maybe Lawson. Without him who is going to get his hands dirty and do all of the little things necessary to close out a close game? Hansolo, Lawson, Ellington and Green can all make a big shot if needed but I wouldn't count on any of them to get a key steal, block or recover a loose ball which is just as important.

I definitely take offense to Mouton being included in your list of "glue guys". IMO he really did nothing for Maryland except for that incessant fist pump.

This could also help UNC. Many great teams have had a key player lost early in the season and then everyone else has to take that much more ownership while he's gone. Mateen Cleaves was out early in '99-'00, and everything really worked out for MSU. Oden was out early too, and wasn't 100% until mid-season IIRC.

dukelifer
10-08-2008, 10:15 PM
According to Fox Sports, Marcus Ginyard is out for eight weeks with a foot injury.

I thought only Duke players get broken feet. Was he playing pickup in Cameron? :)

lmb
10-09-2008, 01:28 PM
That's a shame for Ginyard. He is probably the only UNC I actually like.

Well then that will make it that much easier to root against them!:D

I agree that this could be bad news for them. We Duke fans know all too well how players with this injury aren't really back to full strength until the next season.