PDA

View Full Version : This has been a difficult season

Lord Ash
02-28-2007, 11:16 PM
A very good friend of mine and fellow Duke grad have lived in the same city for many, many years, and he is just about to move to LA. This is likely our last season of watching basketball together after many, many years of watching. I am having a hard time coming out of this particular season with a positive feeling... I can't really say that I feel like this season really brought much positive to me this year when I think about it next to, say, the last 15 years... it isn't like I feel like any player really stepped up and made me say "Wow, what a great year that guy had, how nice!" There haven't really been any wins I have been "WOW, that was an AMAZING game," and no losses where I am left feeling like "Wow, that could have gone either way, both teams made AMAZING plays, what a tough game!"

I am proud of the young guys (i.e. the whole team,) and I know that half of the forums will be upset that I said this, but I think an equal number of posters probably feel a little of the same sadness. And no one even mentioned this could easily be Josh's last game at Cameron. What a strange, strange season so far:(

Jumbo
02-28-2007, 11:19 PM
If you find no joy in something, that's supposed to be fun, then you probably shouldn't do it anymore. In other words, why watch?

Duvall
02-28-2007, 11:22 PM
Whatever, dude. It ain't like somebody died. This is just an inconsistent young team.

Chard
02-28-2007, 11:24 PM
Aw, come on, Jumbo. That was pretty hard to watch. We didn't see about the first 10 minutes. Then we didn't see about the last 10 minutes. It was painful.

However, how about Henderson!

77devil
02-28-2007, 11:31 PM
If you find no joy in something, that's supposed to be fun, then you probably shouldn't do it anymore. In other words, why watch?

Anyone who experienced joy watching this game is disturbed

tw crew
02-28-2007, 11:31 PM
Hang in there. THIS SEASON IS NOT OVER. It has been difficult at times, but we all new losing the seniors from last years team would be painful.

Consider that Coach K could have been in LA coaching the Lakers this season.

RockyMtDevil
02-28-2007, 11:33 PM
What is painful is that we got out toughed and punked tonight. They hit us in the mouth, they talked smack to entire game, they jawed the crowd and we don't have anyone that is willing to hit back.

More painful is Josh's absolute abysmal touch. We had a chance to cut into the lead with several post moves of his and he simply cannot make a 4 foot jumper.

this is a painful season and while we've grown a lot over the last two weeks, we are still who we are, which is a decent team with an exceptionally small margin of error.

RepoMan
02-28-2007, 11:34 PM
We didn't see about the first 10 minutes. Then we didn't see about the last 10 minutes.

Word.

And, to add injury to insult, we had to listen to Dick Vitale without even being able to watch the game. Nice how he talked over the play by play guy while we were deprived of video.

Seriously, I am going to lose my gourd if I hear his discourse on the alternate possession rule one more time.

I want to see a box score, but, despite the final tally, this was a close game. It hurt when Zoubs made the weak pass when we had a chance for the lead. It hurt that we failed to get the stop after Scheyer tied the game with a sick 3 pointer. It hurt that we missed the 1-1s down the wire. And it hurt that we gave up so many points.

But, there were positives as well. Like Chard says, Henderson stepped up. He also played large in the UNC game, if I recall correctly. Gotta like a Freshman willing to take the big shots down the wire. Paulus' offensive game is really good.

Anyway, if had taken the lead on one of those late game opportunities, might have been a different result. Tough loss, but we didn't play bad. Keep in mind that Maryland is a real good team.

Lord Ash
02-28-2007, 11:46 PM
Yeah, I am not trying to take away from anyone, or even commenting on this game... I suppose this is a big season for me personally, which makes it tough. I've toughed it through some tough seasons (I feel like Tent #1 for Pete Gaudet let me sit front row for maybe the toughest season in a while) but this one for some reason has been a particular toughie.

RockyMtDevil
02-28-2007, 11:49 PM
Agreed, we played pretty well, well enough at least to be in the game at the end if we hit both of the 1-1's...However, we have such a small margin for error that we must play a near flawless game against teams that are quicker and more athletic that we seldom win these type matchups.

the lows of losing are most definitely much lower than the highs of winning ever are....

Gerald is going to be a star by the way.

BDP
02-28-2007, 11:53 PM
I feel your pain!!

A very good friend of mine and fellow Duke grad have lived in the same city for many, many years, and he is just about to move to LA. This is likely our last season of watching basketball together after many, many years of watching. I am having a hard time coming out of this particular season with a positive feeling... I can't really say that I feel like this season really brought much positive to me this year when I think about it next to, say, the last 15 years... it isn't like I feel like any player really stepped up and made me say "Wow, what a great year that guy had, how nice!" There haven't really been any wins I have been "WOW, that was an AMAZING game," and no losses where I am left feeling like "Wow, that could have gone either way, both teams made AMAZING plays, what a tough game!"

I am proud of the young guys (i.e. the whole team,) and I know that half of the forums will be upset that I said this, but I think an equal number of posters probably feel a little of the same sadness. And no one even mentioned this could easily be Josh's last game at Cameron. What a strange, strange season so far:(

dukestheheat
02-28-2007, 11:57 PM
Lord Ash,

I also knew Gaudet when I was at Duke in the late 1980's, and he was a great guy and in fact after i left Duke, he'd allow for me to come back to Cameron and watch Parks and Laettner go at it in practice; i'm with you in that this has been a very difficult year but let's keep it going for the guys.

We'll be back.

dth.

jipops
03-01-2007, 12:03 AM
If you feel this season has been difficult then you obviously didn't follow Duke in the 70's and 80's. Back then, we would have been ecstatic to go 8-8 in the conference. Making the tournament was a pipe dream in those days. Join that with the fact that we've beaten a good number of ranked teams this year and I'd say we have a ton to be proud of.

However, if you're spoiled and can only stand it if Duke wins more than 30 games, then I'm afraid you've set yourself up for many, many years of disappointment - cause that's just unrealistic.

I'm extremely proud of this team. So we've lost some games to teams that are simply better than us, oh well. There is still some ball left to be played, and I still plan on watching it.

dockfan
03-01-2007, 12:03 AM
How can you not take Zoubek's play tonight as a positive? He gave us great minutes (much more than he has this calendar year). Yeah, I am disappointed we lost. I thought we were atrocious on defense and to me the team looked physically tired for most of the game. Midway through the second half there was no energy, no defense, no hope, no fight.

And then Zoubek, Henderson, and Paulus keyed a run out of nowhere to tie the game up. That was HUGE!

Make no mistake about it, Maryland is playing as well as any team in the nation right now. We played poorly on defense. That can be fixed. We also had a few unlucky plays (and calls!) go against us. That happens. Maryland is also SIGNIFICANTLY more experienced than us.

As much as it pains me to say it, Maryland can win the national championship this season, especially the way they are going. They are a legitimate Final Four threat. Don't believe me? They are basically an above average team in an above average conference. (Though so are we...). Florida was a mediocre team in a mediocre conference last year. All that matters is who is hot come tournament time. We can still get there. The improvements shown by our guys and the depth we have are very encouraging. How about Scheyer taking some big shots, even contested shots, rather than being passive? How about Paulus - whatever happened to that turnover machine with no ability to score at the D1 level?

Please, please don't turn back on the "sky is falling" switch after one game.

bhd28
03-01-2007, 12:09 AM
The missed FTs at the end were... again... killer. We could have been down by 1 with 1:20 left. It could have been a different game.

Chicago 1995
03-01-2007, 12:25 AM

Why watch? Because he's a fan, and he sticks with the team through good and bad?

NDMD
03-01-2007, 12:41 AM
Maryland is unranked.

And, they're the fifth seed in the ACC tournament..

mjones723
03-01-2007, 12:53 AM
Man, i for one have enjoyed each and every win this year. Sure, i've been frustrated, but that is only because i'm not used to this. I think we are having a pretty solid year however. It would be sweet to make the sweet sixteen, i know that.